Page 306 of 319 FirstFirst ... 206256296302303304305306307308309310316 ... LastLast
Results 6,101 to 6,120 of 6380

Thread: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)

Re: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)

Quote Originally Posted by Wilkin View Post
    An odd list. Of course, I'm the guy still playing Shriekmaw and Hero of bladehold.

Since you are running 26 lands, perhaps you could run Mox Diamond instead of Chrome Mox. Since you are more of a token theme, Humility is pretty good here.
    My lack of owning mox diamonds contributes strongly to my not playing them (stupid RL price spikes!!) but its a fair suggestion. Also I was happily playing Shriekmaw until my last overhaul a couple months ago. Its so good with LLH where you can dig it back up and evoke again! I sort of miss it.

The copters are a constant struggle to keep/not keep but theyre so good vs DnT which i run into a fair amount that theyre hard to cut. Maybe just need to sideboard them and run hymns main but ::shrug:: gotta test more. Wayfarers and depths was basically my 4 flex slots, so theyll get a test drive but might go back to being more traditional cards. Wayfarer works well with mox and wasteland strategies because you can activate waste or a fetch (or both) and then use his ability while theyre on the stack and you temporarily have fewer lands . Requires careful planning/sequencing, but opponents need to choose their land drops carefully or be in a situation where they are instantly blown out with Lage

Chalice main is intriguing but it depends on having chalice/mox/land/(card to pitch to whichever mox you play) in your opener to interact with decks like ANT turn 1. Its a cool idea though, as the curve does largely start at 2 in my list. Definitely need hymns with that strategy though.

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

Got em boys.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatDeleuzeGuy View Post
    I want to play as close to possible a 100% reactive deck that also approached 0% variance in how it played. I want to play magic with as little variance as possible. Also had a foiled out miracles deck that was an investment of about 6 grand that is now nearly worthless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    My original post did that.

I'd love to have a battle of wits with you but I see you lack the necessary equipment.

Good day.

Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    Got em boys.

Lol. Sweet. Feels good huh? I've only been able to cast Alms Collector about half a dozen times. But every time it won the game.

Went 3 wins and an intentional draw today. My overall win percentage since Shaman banning is now 59.8% in 122 matches. Beat Apple jacks (Orcish lumberjack deck with Knight of the Reliquary and Natural Order among other things), UB Death Shadow and Pox. Drew with Humans but played anyway for fun. Beat him in 2. Jitte is a card. lol.

Highlight was against UB Shadow. He thoughtseizes me and takes my Swords to Plowshares. He casts 2 Death Shadows. I topdeck another Plow. GG.

Has anyone tried the new planswalker “Kaya, Orzhov Usurper” ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uh..... Midnight prerelease was yesterday. The new cards are not legal to play yet. I believe they are legal to try out in constructed formats on the 25th.

So no, I haven't tried out new Kaya yet. I will try a couple main in my BW Helm deck. The list is on TCdecks.net. As for regular Dead Guy.....not sure. My sideboard has little wiggle room, plus my main is already jammed with 3 drops.

Quote Originally Posted by CovenantElite30 View Post
    Has anyone tried the new planswalker “Kaya, Orzhov Usurper” ?

Might try a couple in my sideboard if i can find space

Uh..... Midnight prerelease was yesterday. The new cards are not legal to play yet. I believe they are legal to try out in constructed formats on the 25th.

So no, I haven't tried out new Kaya yet. I will try a couple main in my BW Helm deck. The list is on TCdecks.net. As for regular Dead Guy.....not sure. My sideboard has little wiggle room, plus my main is already jammed with 3 drops.
    They are legal online as of yesterday.

I’ve been trying 4 in the main just to test it out.

So I tried Kaya, Ghost Assassin this weekend (and Friday). Kinda meh over her so far. But not in deadguy, I'm trying out BW Helm combo Superfriends. lol.

So plan A is to kill opponent with Helm Combo (with either Leyline of the Void or Rest in Peace). Plan B is to flood the board with planeswalkers.

-Liliana of the Veil
    -Liliana, the Last Hope
    -Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
    -Karn, Scion of Urza
    -Kaya, Ghost Assassin

I usually kill with Helm Combo but I have killed with walkers. I admit I've only resolved Kaya once and it was a bit win more since I already have an Ensnaring Bridge and a Karn out. So whatever she added wasn't necessary.
    BW helm was my favorite deck before the top ban made Quinn worse. Is your list floating around somewhere, because id like to go back to playing with that shell but could use a good starting point.

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

Lol. Sweet. Feels good huh? I've only been able to cast Alms Collector about half a dozen times. But every time it won the game.

Went 3 wins and an intentional draw today. My overall win percentage since Shaman banning is now 59.8% in 122 matches. Beat Apple jacks (Orcish lumberjack deck with Knight of the Reliquary and Natural Order among other things), UB Death Shadow and Pox. Drew with Humans but played anyway for fun. Beat him in 2. Jitte is a card. lol.

Highlight was against UB Shadow. He thoughtseizes me and takes my Swords to Plowshares. He casts 2 Death Shadows. I topdeck another Plow. GG.
    The card has been pretty impressive. He's killed 2 jaces and pretty much kept a turn 2 S&T -> griselbrand from killing me. I've always liked resto angel but she felt like she really didn't do much outside of save a confidant or sfm, so it's nice to have one with a pretty high upside. I wish he did a little more about preordains/ponders but I guess you can't have everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatDeleuzeGuy View Post
    I want to play as close to possible a 100% reactive deck that also approached 0% variance in how it played. I want to play magic with as little variance as possible. Also had a foiled out miracles deck that was an investment of about 6 grand that is now nearly worthless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    My original post did that.

I'd love to have a battle of wits with you but I see you lack the necessary equipment.

Good day.

Helm list is on mtg top 8 website and tcdecks.net

Yeah, wish alms collector could hit ponder too. It a worse notion thief but the potential for blow out wins is too good to pass up.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Hello everyone! I saw this deck played and I was amazed by this so I decided that this will be my next Legacy deck but I failed to find something like a primer about it, can anyone help me? I have some questions about some lists I saw but maybe with a primer my ideas will be clearer and I can ask some non-stupid questions ;) thank you!

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Quote Originally Posted by alvoi View Post
    Hello everyone! I saw this deck played and I was amazed by this so I decided that this will be my next Legacy deck but I failed to find something like a primer about it, can anyone help me? I have some questions about some lists I saw but maybe with a primer my ideas will be clearer and I can ask some non-stupid questions ;) thank you!
    Ask away, we all had no idea what we were doing once before, so there is no judgement
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post
    Ask away, we all had no idea what we were doing once before, so there is no judgement
    Thank you! So, my first big question is: why Chrome Mox? I always saw it as a card for combo or prison strategies, and 2x1ing myself is not the best thing to do. But I saw a lot of people playing it in Dead Guy Ale, is there a reason to prefer it to Dark Ritual or something like that?

Then, I saw some lists with 4 Wastelands and some without any. Is the difference something about the land denial plan? Like, who plays Wasteland plays also Sinkhole and tries to destroy all lands of the opponent? In that case I would prefer to play something more about hand and board disruption, just because my main deck is Maverick so I do a lot of land disruption, and I would like to do something different ;)

I just bought a playset of Thoughtseize to be sure, I saw a lot of different options for hand disruption (Seize, IoK, Therapy, Duress, Sculler, Gerrard's Verdict, Tourach), so what is the best line? Differentiate? For now I'm trying with 4 Seize, 2 IoK, 4 Sculler and 4 Tourach, is that okay?

About the Stoneforge toolbox: I'm used to (number of equipments) = (number of Mystics), but the Dead Guy Ale lists I saw always had 4 Mystics and 2-3 equipments. Why not playing 4 equipments?

I hope you will answer, thank and sorry for my bad english :)

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Chrome Mox plays nice with Dark Confidant, and gives us that small boost to get to Hymn early or support Wasteland taking up our land drop for turn. We're not a fast combo deck, so a quick jolt from Dark Ritual won't be as helpful as often in most games. Historically it's a Dark Confidant deck, so some of the traditional card choices like Chrome Mox are based on that premise.

Wasteland is a meta call influenced by personal preference. Some builds are really good at playing a Tempo style, pivoting between land destruction and discard and leaving on a threat or two to close the game. Other builds have lots of threats to trump removal and find colorless mana sources a liability more then the one or two lands they might destroy. Genuine hard prison strategies aren't really effective anymore, so I wouldn't classify anything as land denial, but just a tempo play. Something to set them back a turn so your Hymn disrupts even more, or your Liliana comes down before they can untap with a creature.

Thoughtseize is the best, followed by Hymn to Tourach, then it's up to you. For some that's as far as it goes, for other decks they pack in as much discard as possible. Again kind of up to you how you want to play and what would work best against they decks you plan on facing. Tidehallow Sculler is good, I was more a fan of Kitesail Freebooter, both for the name and she held a Jitte better. But my meta shifted towards lots of Fatal Push kind of decks and it became a liability to offer any value towards killing your creatures.

For the Stoneforge Mystic count, we play only the equipment we need, there's not much room for more. What other equipment would you run. Umezawa's Jitte and Batterskull are good, then Sword of Fire and Ice sometimes gets included, but beyond that, what? You wouldn't want any of those in duplicate. So play as much equipment as you need, in most cases that's 2-3 pieces. Don't force in cards just for symmetry sake.

Hopefully some of that helps you. Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Chrome Mox plays nice with Dark Confidant, and gives us that small boost to get to Hymn early or support Wasteland taking up our land drop for turn. We're not a fast combo deck, so a quick jolt from Dark Ritual won't be as helpful as often in most games. Historically it's a Dark Confidant deck, so some of the traditional card choices like Chrome Mox are based on that premise.
    Yeah, I love Dark Confidant so I can understand. But how do I use it? Aggressively also pitching a Bob in the first turn? Is it better to pitch Bob and cast Tourach or viceversa? Sorry, maybe the answer is trivial but I think I didn't understand perfectly how to use the mox...

Thoughtseize is the best, followed by Hymn to Tourach, then it's up to you. For some that's as far as it goes, for other decks they pack in as much discard as possible. Again kind of up to you how you want to play and what would work best against they decks you plan on facing. Tidehallow Sculler is good, I was more a fan of Kitesail Freebooter, both for the name and she held a Jitte better. But my meta shifted towards lots of Fatal Push kind of decks and it became a liability to offer any value towards killing your creatures.
    "As much discard as possible", like how many discard spells? Now I'm playing 14 included Sculler, can I add even more?

So you think that in a meta full of removal (like is also mine) is better to just play Gerrard's Verdict and/or Cabal Therapy over Sculler/Freeboter?

For the Stoneforge Mystic count, we play only the equipment we need, there's not much room for more. What other equipment would you run. Umezawa's Jitte and Batterskull are good, then Sword of Fire and Ice sometimes gets included, but beyond that, what? You wouldn't want any of those in duplicate. So play as much equipment as you need, in most cases that's 2-3 pieces. Don't force in cards just for symmetry sake.
    I thought of Sword of Feast and Famine maybe, but if you say it's okay I will try just 1x Jitte and 1x Batterskull

Hopefully some of that helps you. Good luck!
    Thank you a lot!

EDIT: you spoke of Lilianas, which one is better in your opinion? How many shall I play? 2x of the Veil and 1x the Last Hope, something like this?

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

I was away for awhile, but Alms Collector is pretty nifty! I think I'll be trying that in Bant if I'm reading the card right.

Thanks for showing me a weird card!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestalim View Post
    Wrong. Gideon Emblem protect you from losing and you can even open your binder and slam some cards on the board, not even the HJ can DQ you now.

PLayed a few games in side events at Grand Prix Toronto.

Lost for first time after resolving an Alms Collector. I did nerf a brainstorm though. That was fun. lol.

Tried out the new Kaya. Not in dead guy but in BW Helm. Very underwhelming. Would have rather had any of my other walkers (Gideon, Ally of Zendikar, Liliana of the Veil, Lilana, the Last Hope and/or Karn, Scion of Urza.).

Went 3-0-1 last night with the following list.

2x Chrome Mox
    4x Swords to Plowshares
    4x Thoughtseize
    3x Mother of Runes
    4x Dark Confidant
    3x Vampire Hexmage
    2x Bitterblossom
    2x Umezawa's Jitte
    2x Hymn to Tourach

3x Lingering Souls
    2x Thalia, Heretic Cathar
    2x Vindicate
    2x Liliana, The Last Hope
    2x Liliana of the Veil
    1x Mirror Entity

4x Scrubland
    4x Marsh Flats
    4x Wasteland
    2x Polluted Delta
    2x Bloodstained mire
    2x Windswept Heath
    2x Swamp
    1x Plains
    1x Karakas

SB:
    1x Tormod's Crypt
    2x Ethersworn Canonist
    2x Containment Priest
    1x Ensnaring Bridge
    3x Surgical Extraction
    3x Zealous Persecution
    2x Disenchant
    1x Alms Collector

Round 1:
    Esper Control 2-0
    game one a t1 bitterblossom and t2 or 3 lingering souls was more than his removal could handle. Jitte helped closed one out, but it was pretty smooth sailing. Game 2 chrome mox let me play bob t1 and thalia t2, stopping him from putting up any real defenses before I could run him over. Think he drew poorly, but it was nice to put games away before he could get rolling.

Round 2: Death and Taxes 2-0
    The name of the game was lots of cheap fliers and jitte to get the job done. Used a hexmage to reset a vial in game 2, stopping a flickerwisp from hitting the battlefield and doing some damage vs my tokens, which felt pretty good.

Round 3: UR Delver 2-1
    This was a tougher matchup. Game 1 I overran him with tokens and won relatively quickly. Game 2 he landed an early delver, wiped my board with that volley card that does 1 damage to each of my creatures for R, then managed to burn me out with bolts eventually. Game 3 we both kind of tilted a bit in rapid succession (I mistimed a jitte activation and he didn't notice) but ultimately a zealous persecution to wipe his board followed by a jitte for life gain and bitterblossom continuing to churn out tokens let me build a huge army while netting life to pull me out of bolt range and eventually I managed to take the game. This matchup is tough if you don't pull enough removal early. Lili Last Hope is pretty solid here though. Another hexmage highlight was pulling all the counters off of the pteramander he was trying out to swing the third game in my favor. Zealous persecution was an all star in this matchup. There's a reason I never leave home without it!

Round 4: Apple Jacks 1-1-1
    I've actually tested against this guy a decent amount, and we've decided this matchup is a head scratching clusterf*** of nonsense every time we've played it out. Figured we might as well add another few games to the sample size for good measure. Game 1 he just never got anything going and after a long grind I eventually took him down with the usual token army and a late game jitte. Game 2, he managed to resolve a titania with some fetches and wasteland on the board, and I scooped, having no good answers to an army of 5/3's . Game 3 we only have a few minutes left, he gets a quick Marit Lage, but I use souls and Mom to stonewall it until I get a plow, which I use to get rid of Marit lage. He gets loam online and I'm a turn away from being dead to rights to a depths-stage I knew was coming. I topdeck a misers ensnaring bridge, then thougthseize away his knight of autumn before he can cast it to blow up the bridge. We ended up going to time, further cementing the fact that this matchup is extremely silly.

The big takeaways were that Vampire Hexmage creates some really interesting headaches for opponents, having chrome moxes and basics you can fetch makes mana denial like that of DnT, UR delver, and ... whatever you want to call Apple Jacks far less annoying (watch out for abrade though, which I mercifully dodged despite UR playing multiple copies). Big Thalia is awesome, and nobody will ever let Mirror entity live long enough to find out how cool it is.

Anyway the list is feeling pretty solid right now, so I might make some minor changes but plan to roll with basically this for a while.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by Notion Thief View Post
    Went 3-0-1 last night with the following list.

3x Vampire Hexmage

0x Dark Depths

Anyway the list is feeling pretty solid right now, so I might make some minor changes but plan to roll with basically this for a while.
    How many opponent's played around Marit Lage? Fairly decent opportunity for virtual card advantage here.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Thread Information