Page 308 of 319 FirstFirst ... 208258298304305306307308309310311312318 ... LastLast
Results 6,141 to 6,160 of 6380

Thread: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)

Re: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)

6-3 day 1. Made day 2. Will write a report later after tournament is done. Oh, grand prix Niagara Falls. Forgot to mention that

Went 8-7 for 160th place (or around there). I had 2 byes from winning a Trial on the Friday.

http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=21683&d=345697&f=LE

This decklist above is the same one I used for the Trial and main event.

Round 1. Bye
    Round 2. Bye.

Round 3. Elves. Daniel Hwang. Win 2-1
    Game 1. Elves does it's Elvish Visionary + Wirewood thing. And My slow hand can't keep up.
    Game 2. I have an early Bob that allows me to have things that kill everything he plays.
    Game 3. I keep a hand that only had a Plow and a Containment Priest out. He makes the mistake of fetching for a Dryad Arbor with my Priest out. He's not able to get his jitte online. I have a Liliana , the Last hope (i think) in play to clean things up.

Round 4. Sneak Breach. Ryan Hall. Lose in 3.
    Game 1. Apparently someone that knows a lot of us Toronto guys. He knew and played me before (I don't remember him) and talked to Lam Phan who was a couple of matches away from us. He has a slow hand, as do I and he's able to Through the Breach ftw.
    Game 2. Can't remember much here. I think I had an early Liliana of the Veil.
    Game 3. Back and forth game. He's able to survive a Liliana of the Veil ulitmate to sneak attack a Worldspine Wurm

Round 5. UR Delver. Win 2-0
    I have more removal than he has guys. One game, I had both Liliana of the Veil and Liliana, the Last Hope out.

Round 6. Dragon Stompy. Jakub Hilton. Win 2-1
    Game 1. He has a slow hand and gets punished for it.
    Game 2. Rabblemaster I think gets there.
    Game 3. Turn 1 Bob and the 2 Liliana tag team gets there.

Round 7. UR Delver. Win 2-1
    PLays out like the previous match against UR Delver. Kaya, Orzhov Usurper makes an appearance here. I end the game at 22 life, since there were no creatures he played, I ate almost his entire graveyard.

Round 8. Lands. Hayden Friend. L 2-1
    Game 1. He's on the play with Mana bond. Turn 1 20/20.
    Game 2. I have a 6 card hand of Leyline of the Void, Surgical and Chrome Mox. No lands. I keep. I'm able to draw some lands to cast a PLow to kill his Marit Lage token. I'm able to get out of it with Sanctum Prelate and bob.
    Game 3. I mull to 4. He has Loam engine online. GG.

Round 9. Grixis Delver. Paolo Cesari. L 2-1
    Game 1. Attrition war I'm able to win with Mystic and a SOFI as the last non-lands left standing.
    Game 2. I keep a slow and lose because of it.
    Game 3. Kaya is almost able to ultimate for the win but he's able to get the 3rd land for Static-caster to kill my lingering souls that were on chump duty.

Round 10. Lands. Jody Keith. Lose 2-0
    Mull to oblivion in game 2. Should have mulled harder to Remorseful Cleric in game 1 since Lands is the most likely deck Jody would be on.

Round 11. Storm. Virgio Bisio. Lose 2-1
    Game 1. Not enough disruption game 1 to beat a past in flames kill.
    Game 2. I mull to 4. no interaction. He makes the mistake of fetching for an underground at least twice. I topdeck wasteland both times he does that. He has to resort to casting a lotus petal for a ponder to try and look for a land. A Gurmag Angler later is able to kill him.
    Game 3. Mull to oblivion.

Round 12. Grixis Control? Juan Llodra. Lose 2-1
    Highlight was me screwing up game 2. I had Kaya at 8 counters and a plow in hand. He has a Strix. He's at like 13 life. I cast Plow after I ulitmate Kaya. So he's at 2, when he should have been at 1 if I didn't screw up. Or I could have tried to wait another turn.

Round 13. Eldrazi. Eric Cruz. Win 2-1.
    Game 1. He copies my Hero of Bladehold and my Sword of Fire and Ice with Phyrexian Metamorph. But my Hero is able to connect first with the sword. Since he has ancient Tomb and used it a few times, he can't afford to swing back at me.
    Game 2. Endless One followed by another Endless one.....thought knot-seer. etc.
    Game 3. First turn bob. I get 3 wastelands and a Vindicate to knock him down to 0 lands for several turns. Bob and Mystic clean up.

Round 14. UR Delver. Matthew Ratajczak. Win 2-1
    I have too much removal for him to fight off. In one game he has a young pyromancer. I try and plow. Countered. I try and Zealous. Countered. Toxic Deluge. Finally works.

Round 15. Bant Food Chain. L 2-0
    White is for stoneforge Mystic. Food chain got too much card advantage for me to deal with in both games. Plus he has a jitte too.

Well, dissapointed in 8-7 finish. Had 2 byes, which I thought would make things easier to at least cash. Happy that in the day 2 metagame on channel fireball, they at least mention me as Orzhov Stoneblade and not lump me in with the Blue Stoneblade decks. LOL, Dead guy was 1% of the meta in day 2. Wish they would provide the number of players for each archtype. I bet I was the only dead guy player day 2. Might take out Alms Collector for something else. But when new Karn comes out, I'll be trying my BW Helm deck again.

How big a deal is the new W/B Horison Canopy?

Between the pain land and Cabal Therapist maybe Sword of Light and Shadow stock goes up? I've had Crucible of Worlds in the board from time to time as well.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I think it's worth 1-2 slots.

4x Marsh Flats
    2x Black fetch
    2x White fetch
    2x Scrubland
    3x Swamp
    2x Plains
    4x Wasteland
    1x Karakas
    2x Silent Clearing

That's where I would start.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Zauzich View Post
    How big a deal is the new W/B Horison Canopy?

Between the pain land and Cabal Therapist maybe Sword of Light and Shadow stock goes up? I've had Crucible of Worlds in the board from time to time as well.
    I don't think it's that big of a deal, if you were playing canopy in your list this is a pretty obvious upgrade but other than that I think that the BW manland is still better as it allows you to pressure walkers/your opponents if you are flooding out.

You probably want your 3-4th scrubland before you start playing this though, lava spiking yourself early game thanks to thoughtseizes and painlands doesn't seem ideal when the most popular aggro deck of the format is delver.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatDeleuzeGuy View Post
    I want to play as close to possible a 100% reactive deck that also approached 0% variance in how it played. I want to play magic with as little variance as possible. Also had a foiled out miracles deck that was an investment of about 6 grand that is now nearly worthless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    My original post did that.

I'd love to have a battle of wits with you but I see you lack the necessary equipment.

Good day.

New canopy a good card but I do like the singleton shambling vent that i run. And lately bob has done quite a bit of damage to me. Maybe in my helm deck I'll run the new land.

Kaya's Guile

Thoughts?

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Pure gas, getting 2 modes was a really nice surprise. I figured it would only be one and be lousy. I think it is playable as a 1-of in the main or 1-2 in the sideboard. Flexibility is pretty big here. It's no KCommand, but it gets awfully close in a deck like Deadguy Ale. It provides a token to equip (or sacrifice with Therapist...), kills graveyards, gives you a Diabolic Edict, or just gains you some life. The entwine is pretty unrealistic, but getting all 4 for 7 mana seems like fun. I am definitely going to be getting some Cabal Therapists and playing a Hidden Stockpile/Bloodghast version of Deadguy. I'm not sure of the exact list, but here is a rough starting point:

4x Cabal Therapist
    4x Bloodghast
    4x Stoneforge Mystic
    3x Dark Confidant

3x Thoughtseize
    3x Cabal therapy
    4x Swords to Plowshares
    4x Lingering Souls
    1x Liliana, the Last Hope
    1x Vindicate
    2x Hidden Stockpile
    1x Jitte
    1x SoFI
    1x BSkull
    1x Kaya's Charm
    2x Collective Brutality

21 lands (8 fetch, 2 Scrubs, 4 basics, Karakas, 4x wasteland, 0-1 Shambling Vent, 0-1 Dakmor Salvage, 0-1 BW horizon land)

EDIT: not sure yet on the Serra Planeswalker. It has pretty good synergy, but I would have to test. Some number of Therapy/Thoughtsieze could be Hymn to Tourach as well. Not playing Hymn maindeck could be completely wrong, but a user on here (can't remember) tried a similar list sans Therapist and there was just too much discard.
    Last edited by Mr. Safety; 05-28-2019 at 03:05 PM.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Definitely going to try out Kaya's Guile in the 75 somewhere. Not sure how many since the 3 mana slot in the main is very very cluttered for me....

3 Liliana of the Veil
    2 Liliana, the Last Hope
    2 Vindicate
    3 Lingering Souls
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice

Lol, very unlikely to get to 7 mana for the full effect but it does fit the gameplan of Deadguy Ale in the attrition war. And hey another way to possibly kill True Name Nemesis (more blue white stoneblade decks and TNN in general are popping up) is a good thing.

Going to try a Blast Zone in place of Engineered Explosives in my board. Zone is slower but it is a land which is nice to replace a Chrome mox in the Grindy matchups plus not counterable is good. Plus I have an out to kill pesky things like Ensnaring Bridge and Liliana, the Last Hope.

Found this deck and I am in the slow process of building it:
    http://www.starcitygames.com/decks/125999
    reminds me of some happy memories.

Any advise for side boarding would be helpful.
    is Liliana's Triumph strictly better than diabolic edict?

Quote Originally Posted by Lmtg View Post
    Found this deck and I am in the slow process of building it:
    http://www.starcitygames.com/decks/125999
    reminds me of some happy memories.

Any advise for side boarding would be helpful.
    is Liliana's Triumph strictly better than diabolic edict?
    In most lists, Liliana's Triumph is strictly better since it doesnt target, and sometimes gives you bonus value. I run into the rare exception it isnt better, as Im running abyssal persecutor, but unless you're a weirdo like me, stick with Liliana's triumph.

As for sideboard, i think zealous persecution is a lock in my sideboard as a 2 of at least, and im a fan of ethersworn canonist. Humility is great for sneak-show and eldrazi but not always needed depending on the meta.

Just curious, is there a discord for Deadguy? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sonofastoic View Post
    Just curious, is there a discord for Deadguy? Thanks
    Im not aware of one, but would also be interested if such a thing existed

I dont know of any discord. I highly doubt one exists for dead guy ale. Just picked up a kaya's guile for my sideboard.

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Wilkin View Post
    I dont know of any discord. I highly doubt one exists for dead guy ale. Just picked up a kaya's guile for my sideboard.
    Have you tried out the new yawgmoth yet? I think it's a palace jailer without the swingy downside. Have very much been enjoying playing him on MTGO.
    I want to play as close to possible a 100% reactive deck that also approached 0% variance in how it played. I want to play magic with as little variance as possible. Also had a foiled out miracles deck that was an investment of about 6 grand that is now nearly worthless.

I'd love to have a battle of wits with you but I see you lack the necessary equipment.

Good day.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    Have you tried out the new yawgmoth yet? I think it's a palace jailer without the swingy downside. Have very much been enjoying playing him on MTGO.
    What matchups have you seen it being relevant/good?
    Brainstorm Realist

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    all of them

Good day.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    I havent tested it yet (mine arrives today in the mail) but it seems like it would be great vs dnt, which has been a tricky matchup for me. Maverick as well, although thats less relevant. I like it vs mentor as well if you can resolve it.

He fits my list that runs hidden stockpile and abyssal persecutor perfectly, that much is for sure

Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    Haven't had a chance to run any of new cards in legacy yet. Just a few in sealed. Yawgmoth is interesting. But I dont know where to fit it in. Do I dare take out hero of bladehold for it? Lol. It took me a while to figure out to fit in kaya's guile.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilkin View Post
    Haven't had a chance to run any of new cards in legacy yet. Just a few in sealed. Yawgmoth is interesting. But I dont know where to fit it in. Do I dare take out hero of bladehold for it? Lol. It took me a while to figure out to fit in kaya's guile.
    Running guile in side or main? Im having trouble finding space for it in my 75 as well. Yawg will probably have to replace an abyssal Persecutor for me, but I'm really hoping i can find something else to cut. Percy has been fun

Thread Information