Page 309 of 319 FirstFirst ... 209259299305306307308309310311312313 ... LastLast
Results 6,161 to 6,180 of 6380

Thread: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)

Re: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)

Running one in the side. Took out a containment priest for it. Also trying out a damping sphere in place of sanctum prelate.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilkin View Post
    Running one in the side. Took out a containment priest for it. Also trying out a damping sphere in place of sanctum prelate.
    I can see the logic in the containment priest / kayas guile swap. Is the damping sphere to dodge massacre vs ANT? Ive always been skeptical of sphere

I run a Thalia in the board but I find her to be a bit mediocre. I also kind of like Damping Sphere vs other decks. Like Elves (especially since I don't run Priest atm), I can slow down how many elves they can play a turn plus, lol Gaea's Cradle just makes a colorless.

I run a Sanctum Prelate before. I liked it but I run a ton of 3 drops so I felt I had to cut it. I also feel I need something to go against Bomberman. Sphere is alright there, I think.

Unfortunately, I don't really like any of the other hate bear options, so going with a Damping Sphere for now.

I run a Thalia in the board but I find her to be a bit mediocre. I also kind of like Damping Sphere vs other decks. Like Elves (especially since I don't run Priest atm), I can slow down how many elves they can play a turn plus, lol Gaea's Cradle just makes a colorless.

I run a Sanctum Prelate before. I liked it but I run a ton of 3 drops so I felt I had to cut it. I also feel I need something to go against Bomberman. Sphere is alright there, I think.

Unfortunately, I don't really like any of the other hate bear options, so going with a Damping Sphere for now.
    Elves i usually answer with zealous persecution, although the new force of despair intrigues me. As for bomberman, I sideboard 2 of the rather unorthodox Null rod, which makes it less problematic for me (its also quite good vs DnT and ANT) it requires some build constraints though

Quote Originally Posted by Notion Thief View Post
    Elves i usually answer with zealous persecution, although the new force of despair intrigues me. As for bomberman, I sideboard 2 of the rather unorthodox Null rod, which makes it less problematic for me (its also quite good vs DnT and ANT) it requires some build constraints though
    For Elves I side in quite a few things. Zealous Persecution, Blast Zone, Humility, Kaya Orzhov Usurper, Kaya's Guile, Liliana's Triumph, Damping Sphere and a Toxic Deluge.

Haven't played Bomberman as Dead Guy. For some reason, in paper I've only seen a few people play it. I've played Vs Bomberman as Helm combo. Karn vs Karn mirror.

For Elves I side in quite a few things. Zealous Persecution, Blast Zone, Humility, Kaya Orzhov Usurper, Kaya's Guile, Liliana's Triumph, Damping Sphere and a Toxic Deluge.

Haven't played Bomberman as Dead Guy. For some reason, in paper I've only seen a few people play it. I've played Vs Bomberman as Helm combo. Karn vs Karn mirror.
    Thats a pretty solid amount of elves hate. I mostly just try to survive until t4 by killing anything i see, if I can land a jitte, i like my chances. 3 zealous, 2 edicts out of the board is all I generally swap in.

I need to rebuild my Helm deck. So many new toys for it the last year

Made top 8 at my local. 3-2-1. 5 round swiss, 25 players. Went with Damping Sphere, Kaya Guile and Blast Zone in the board over Explosives, Containment Priest and Sanctum Prelate. That the only change from the last decklist on TCdecks.net and Mtgtop8.com. I'm too lazy to type out entire 75.

Round 1. Bye. Oh yeah. Not quite like my round 10 bye at Grand Prix Washington but I'll still take it.

Round 2. Eldrazi. Win in 2. His Chalice at 1 doesn't affect me. He could have chaliced at 0 which would have been great since I had enough mana to cast and equip Jitte to Bob. Bob + Jitte. gg.
    Game 2. I had an early Damping Sphere to nerf sol lands. I used a Kaya's Guile to kill an Endless one and make a token. His hand was all in on a turn 1 Thought Knot Seer (via 2 SSG and a temple or Eye)

Round 3. UR Delver with Dreadhorde. Lose 2-0. I didn't have many basic lands in either game. Got run over by Dreadhorde. That's a huge threat.

Round 4. Pox. Win 2-1. My Turn 1 Mystic get killed but managed to win with Liliana, the last hope ultimate I think.
    Game 2. He has a turn 1 Liliana of the veil. GG. And turn 2 Davriel. Even vindicate on Liliana is way too late.
    Game 3. He couldn't kill my bob and Bob and Lingering Souls do a beatdown.

Round 5. ID.

Round 6. Sneak Show. Lose in 2.
    Mull to Oblivion in both games. Ugh.

Chrome Mox was great enabling Bob and Mystic. Lingering Souls did quite a bit of work vs Eldrazi. Kaya Guile was alright and Sphere was really good. Didn't see Blast Zone at all. I feel I need all the mana I can get as I have a TON of 3 drops. Adding Blast Zone can mean I have 25 mana sources (22 lands and 3 Mox). I miss Deathrite. lol. It was 27 mana sources when Deathrite was around.

Went 3-2 in a small tournament to place 5th. Cut to top 4 unfortunately but did gain some credit. Sideboard I took out a Gideon for a Dismember. Maindeck the same (it's on TC decks.net).

Round 1. Miracles. Win 2-0
    Was able to out grind my opponent in both games. His hand in both games weren't the greatest. I got to live the dream and got to Entwine a Kaya's Guile. Did it in response to a Snapcaster Mage...so I killed the snapcaster, exiled the entire graveyard, made a token and gained 4 life. Oh yeah.

Round 2. Painter Win 2-1.
    He got a game 1 loss for a deck registration error. So he's on the play in game 2 and plays a Grindstone and Painter turn 1. I have no plow. Turn 2 kill.
    Game 2 was a funny game. At one point he has a Karn, Scion of Urza and a Chandra, Pyromaster. I have Liliana of the Veil (but he has a Pithing Needle on it), Liliana, the Last Hope and a Kaya, Orzhov Usurper. I'm able to ultimate Kaya for the win. My opponent didn't realize Kaya counts all the cards in exile, including the 2 cards underneath Karn, Scion of Urza.

Round 3. UR Delver. Lose 2-0
    Game 1 was super grindy but he's able to have a Young Pyromancer that I can't answer. Game 2, I mull to 5 and can't do much.

Round 4. Miracles Lose 2-0
    Mull to oblivion in both games. And mana screw too in game 2.

Round 5. UW Blade. Win 2-0.
    Game 1 is very grindy. He has a Snapcaster with a Jitte with 2 counters on it and an unflipped Delver. But I have a Hero of Bladehold with a Sword of Fire and Ice on it.
    Game 2. He's mana screwed which I help with a wasteland or 2. A gurmag Angler does quite a bit of damage before a Liliana, the Last Hope threatening ultimate closes things out.

I guess I could have used the Gideon since I faced 2 Miracle matches but so many decks are running Dreadhorde of late that I feel I need more answers for that. Kaya's Guile was pretty decent so far in testing. It's not as good as Kologhan's Command but it's still pretty versatile. Kaya Orzhov Usurper has been alright too. I feel she is too situational to maindeck but she does enough things in certain matchups that she's IMO worth a slot in the sideboard.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Did a middling 2-2 locally last night.
    Every game was close, either just getting there or them topdecking answers before I could capitalize.
    Matches were against UW Stoneblade, Miracles, Death's Shadow & ThopterSword.

Not much to report, felt held back the whole time, never got to untap with a Dark Confidant once, either StP or Push or random Terminus saw to that. Only one Stoneforge activation at a point in the game where any threat would have done the same thing.
    Hidden Stockpile and Bloodghast did good work together, but I find it more helpful when I scry lands to the bottom I don't then just topdeck lands the whole game.
    Never got to jam Yawgmoth down, and he got sided out against an onslaught of TNN decks in favor of not-targeted removal. Not the best case for him, but I'll still be trying.
    Might look for a way to fit a third Vindicate or some other way to remove opposing Planeswalkers, deck feels flush with removal of every other kind, but in the low-resource middle game, letting a JtMS go unanswered usually represents our death. Hero's Downfall? Anguished Unmaking? Nothing ever seems as universal as Vindicate.
    Picked up Plague Engineer to replace the Zealous Persecution in the side as weenie control, seen a lot of decks with as many as 2 in the main, with backups in the side. Is he worth that many slots? It always comes down against Young Pyromancer and Goblins and the like, always a bomb, but I'm not sure where to make that much room.

As always, any questions I'll be happy to explain further.
    Thanks guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post
    Might look for a way to fit a third Vindicate or some other way to remove opposing Planeswalkers, deck feels flush with removal of every other kind, but in the low-resource middle game, letting a JtMS go unanswered usually represents our death. Hero's Downfall? Anguished Unmaking? Nothing ever seems as universal as Vindicate.
    Do you already run Council's Judgment? It does a lot of the same job Vindicate does, and you mentioned requiring non-targeted removal for True-Name Nemesis.

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post
    Never got to jam Yawgmoth down, and he got sided out against an onslaught of TNN decks in favor of not-targeted removal.

Nov 2011
    Finland

Plague Engineer hits True-Name too, so if you play 2 Engineer and 3 Liliana of the Veil main you donīt have trouble with Nemesis most of the time. Engineer is such a good card that I suggest everyone to try it main. Even if it does not kill creatures instantly it shrinks them so you might get that extra turn to find permanent answers to things. The deathtouch is also relevant so people are hesitant to attack you with big dudes.

Learning Blue cards
    Nov 2012
    Beijing,China

Went 3-2 in a small tournament to place 5th. Cut to top 4 unfortunately but did gain some credit. Sideboard I took out a Gideon for a Dismember. Maindeck the same (it's on TC decks.net).

Round 1. Miracles. Win 2-0
    Was able to out grind my opponent in both games. His hand in both games weren't the greatest. I got to live the dream and got to Entwine a Kaya's Guile. Did it in response to a Snapcaster Mage...so I killed the snapcaster, exiled the entire graveyard, made a token and gained 4 life. Oh yeah.

Round 2. Painter Win 2-1.
    He got a game 1 loss for a deck registration error. So he's on the play in game 2 and plays a Grindstone and Painter turn 1. I have no plow. Turn 2 kill.
    Game 2 was a funny game. At one point he has a Karn, Scion of Urza and a Chandra, Pyromaster. I have Liliana of the Veil (but he has a Pithing Needle on it), Liliana, the Last Hope and a Kaya, Orzhov Usurper. I'm able to ultimate Kaya for the win. My opponent didn't realize Kaya counts all the cards in exile, including the 2 cards underneath Karn, Scion of Urza.

Round 3. UR Delver. Lose 2-0
    Game 1 was super grindy but he's able to have a Young Pyromancer that I can't answer. Game 2, I mull to 5 and can't do much.

Round 4. Miracles Lose 2-0
    Mull to oblivion in both games. And mana screw too in game 2.

Round 5. UW Blade. Win 2-0.
    Game 1 is very grindy. He has a Snapcaster with a Jitte with 2 counters on it and an unflipped Delver. But I have a Hero of Bladehold with a Sword of Fire and Ice on it.
    Game 2. He's mana screwed which I help with a wasteland or 2. A gurmag Angler does quite a bit of damage before a Liliana, the Last Hope threatening ultimate closes things out.

I guess I could have used the Gideon since I faced 2 Miracle matches but so many decks are running Dreadhorde of late that I feel I need more answers for that. Kaya's Guile was pretty decent so far in testing. It's not as good as Kologhan's Command but it's still pretty versatile. Kaya Orzhov Usurper has been alright too. I feel she is too situational to maindeck but she does enough things in certain matchups that she's IMO worth a slot in the sideboard.
    That red zombie bring UR burn to DtB, from ruins of post-Probe-ban. Of course it is a big threat. It acts like hybrid of Bob and Snapcaster.

But the decks which running it, usually also cant protect it against low cmc removal very effectively(e.g. must surrender FOW or other hard counters to a StP).
    I hear they got twisters miles wide in the Midwest.

Dreadhorde Arcanist is a pretty crazy card. While it seems a lot of people are on 4 color control with Astrolabe and Wrenn and Six, Arcanist is still a card I do think about having to deal with.

Played a couple of small tournaments over the weekend. Got 2nd place at a legacy trial for Eternal Weekend. And got 3rd place at Trios.

I used the exact same list for both events. Maindeck change was to add another Gurmag Angler and took out a Lingering Souls. In the sideboard I'm now on 3 Leyline of the Void and 1 Helm of Obedience.

Round 1 of Eternal weekend trial. Canadian Threshold. Win 2-1
    The play I remember is I therapy my opponent. I think I hit and I see a Lightning Bolt in hand. I Therapy again naming Bolt....and he had another in hand. Cindervines is a really annoying card but I manage to pull this one off.

Round 2. Red Stompy. Lose 2-0
    Can't beat the top deck wars.....Karn Creator too much. Game 2, I have a Bob with a SOFI on it but I reveal Gurmag Angler....twice. Back to back.

Round 3. Canadian Threshold. Win 2-1
    This time My anglers are just cast as opposed to revealed to Bob.

Round 4. Hoogaak Depths. Win 2-0
    I know what he is on and my opener has a remorseful Cleric, Lingering Souls, Plow, wasteland and a Karakas in it. lol. I'm good. Game 2, I mull to six for LEyline of the Void. I again have Remorseful Cleric in opener.

Round 5. UW Narset Teferi. Win 2-0
    It's a deck that is trying to abuse Days Undoing. Luckily, he isn't able to assemble the combo. My disruption is too much for him to handle.

Round 6. Finals. Canadian Threshold. Lose 2-1
    Only 3 of the top 8 wanted to play for bye. My threshold opponent had to beat the storm player to get to me. I had a free ride until the final. I blind therapy game 1, turn 1. Name Brainstorm. Hit 2. I still lose the game. Game 2 I think I had Angler again. Game 3. Wrenn and Six wrecks my life.

Trios.
    Round 1. 4 Color Control with Astrolabe. Win 2-0
    He has a Fatal Push and a Liliana's Triumph for my Remorseful CLeric and Gurmag Angler but had no answer for my follow up play of Hero of Bladehold. GG. Game 2, I had a key Hymn to Tourach that took a Triumph and a Plague Engineer. My Angler does the clean up work after my Mystic and Batterskull get kologhan Command.

Round 2. 4 color loam lose 2-1
    Game 1. I win the attrition war with Gurmag Angler with SOFI on it. Game 2. I face too many threats like Knight of the Reliquary, Ajani Vengeant and Sylvan Library. Game 3. I kept a 1 lander with Leyline of the Void, Thoughtseize and Stoneforge Mystic. I don't draw another land......

Round 3. Canadian Threshold. Win 2-1
    I luckily have a 1 mana discard spell every game....since every game he had a Wrenn and Six in hand every game. lol. Angler does a lot of the lifting here.

Round 4. Nic Fit. Lose 2-0
    Sigarada is too much for me game 1. Game 2. I have 3 bobs....he has 3 Path to Exile.

Round 5. 4 Color Control. Win 2-0
    We could have ID here but other team wanted to play (they could afford to lose a round, my team couldn't). Hero shows up to the party game 1. The first one was countered but Liliana the last hope brought her back for another go. Game 2, I mulled to 5 but luckily my opponent is mana light and bricks on a brainstorm. He do draw go because he has just a wasteland and I only have a basic swamp. I eventually get a fetchland to get going. Hymn to Tourach. Then a Gurmag Angler to clean things up.

I go 3-2 but my team as a whole is 4-1 so we are the first seed going in.
    Round 6. Playoffs round 1. UB Reanimator. Lose 2-0
    We both mull to 4. I have the remorseful Cleric but no way to cast it. I proceed to die to an exhumed Grave Titan. Game 2. I have a couple of discard spells but it wasn't enough.

Aside from dying to the Bob reveal, going to 2 Anglers was great. The sideboard was very meh over the weekend. Did like the Leyline of the Void vs Wrenn and Six. Only other card I remember using from board to good effect was Leyline vs Hoogaak and Zealous Persecution killing a Delver of Secrets and allowing Gurmag Angler to punch in for 6. Also, this is one of the first times I played vs Wrenn and Six. And it's so annoying. Somewhat more manageable than dealing with an opposing Liliana, the Last Hope but it's close. But glad that Dead Guy is still viable.

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

I've been playing celestial purge in my side as an answer to it and w&6, it's kind of gimmicky but it does buy you a bit of time.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatDeleuzeGuy View Post
    I want to play as close to possible a 100% reactive deck that also approached 0% variance in how it played. I want to play magic with as little variance as possible. Also had a foiled out miracles deck that was an investment of about 6 grand that is now nearly worthless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    My original post did that.

I'd love to have a battle of wits with you but I see you lack the necessary equipment.

Good day.

Not a bad idea. Kills both of those walkers plus marit lage. Gurmag angler. Hmmmmmm......

Not a bad idea. Kills both of those walkers plus marit lage. Gurmag angler. Hmmmmmm......
    Arcanist and Bob (yours or others) also. Playable vs. Dragon Stompy.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Went 3-1 in a 5 round trios tournament. Didn't need to finish 1 round. Unfortunately my team lost our win and in. Deck pretty much the same except I took out a gideon for a vampire hexmage, in order to deal with walkers, in particular wren and six.

Round 1. Rug delver win 2-1. Got run over by goyfs and delvers. Game 2 a batterskull gets there. Game 3. He misses stifle on my fetch land. I proceed to kaya orzhov usurper for 18 damage. Hero of bladehold and batterskull go in for last bits of damage. I had a hexmage in that game with a jitte on it (maybe it was game 2). Good times.

Round 2. 4 color control. Win 2-1 Jace lives too long game 1. I lose. Game 2, cant remember what happened. Game 3 he sees I have 2 wastelands from a thought seize. So he gets 3 basics......and without astrolabe he cant cast decay etc. Batterskull gets there.

Round3 .. dredge. Win 2-1. I dont draw remorseful cleric. Die pretty badly. Game 2, I mull to 6 with a leyline of the void and a cleric. Oh yeah. Game 3. I have a faerie macabre, remorseful cleric and a chrome mox in opening 7. For further insult I have a liliana the last hope. Attack with cleric. Sac to exile yard....-2 liliana to play cleric again.

Round 4. Rug delver. 1-1. My team won so we didn't finish our game.

Round 5. Rug delver. Lose 2-0. Wren and six. Annoying ass card.

Vampires hexmage got a lot of weird looks. Lol people should be used to the fact I play off the wall stuff. She was alright. I got a wren and six and with jitte kept a goyf at bay. Batterskull did a lot of work. As did gurmag anglers. Haven't been too punished for playing 2 with dark confidant. Leyline of the void showed up when I needed it vs dredge and once vs a rug delver (wren and 6, hooting man drills and goyf).
    Kaya, orzhov usurper ultimate for 18 was nice.

Hey all!

Long time lurker here. Been playing the deck for a long time and just haven't ever gotten around to posting on here. Now that the W6 menace is gone we can finally cast our bobs safely (that is until its plowed or bolted EOT but that'll never change). I'm trying to get an updated list together and when i do I'll post it here but for now ill just keep testing away at my local FNM and play group. Im interested in seeing what you all have been testing and using in your sideboards since we've gotten many new tools to work with. For me, Ive been trying out Sevinne's Reclamation. Seems sweet bringing back a lili or SFM and only gets better late game with bringing back 2 targets. Also its a good card to pitch early to Lili if needed. Anyway thats it for now but ill keep you all posted!

The only card I am currently testing is Plague Engineer. He is nice vs goblins, elfes and many decks you expect manadorks in. He can stall some huge beaters. But he is kinda dead against decks, that are not heavy on the creature side.

Yeah I've been running 2 in the main and been liking it a lot so far. Hits all the ones you mentioned plus TNN and keeps mentor in check. Even in matchups where there are no relevant targets he's still a clock that can hold equipment. I usually dont cut him in most matchups since my non token creature count is so low at 10. 4x Dark confidant 4x SFM and 2x Plague engineer.

Thread Information