View Poll Results: How would you feel if Wizards abolished the Reserved List?

Voters
231. You may not vote on this poll
  • Positively, and suspect my opinion is the majority.

179 77.49%
  • Negatively, and suspect my opinion is the majority.

14 6.06%
  • Positively, and suspect my opinion is the minority.

9 3.90%
  • Negatively, and suspect my opinion is the minority.

15 6.49%
  • Indifferent, and suspect my opinion is the majority.

5 2.16%
  • Indifferent, and suspect my opinion is the minority.

9 3.90%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Poll: Reserved List

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Re: Poll: Reserved List

Like I said. I hate playing against new people. And I suck so that definition applies to me. I just like competent players...
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

I wouldn't mind for them to reopen the "foil loophole", and start printing some nice Reserved List goodies for Judges (or similar limited distribution). OTOH, I would definitely be very pissed off if they went crazy with reprints.

Anyway this is very idle speculation, because they won't reprint anything. Not only because of the RL, but because I'm becoming more and more convinced that their "end game" doesn't have much room for Legacy or Vintage, because the way those formats are played don't fit into their vision of how the game should proceed, and because Eternal players don't buy enough packs.

Ooh... Shiny!

Aug 2005
    Raincouver

Quote Originally Posted by CorwinB View Post
    I wouldn't mind for them to reopen the "foil loophole", and start printing some nice Reserved List goodies for Judges (or similar limited distribution). OTOH, I would definitely be very pissed off if they went crazy with reprints.

Anyway this is very idle speculation, because they won't reprint anything. Not only because of the RL, but because I'm becoming more and more convinced that their "end game" doesn't have much room for Legacy or Vintage, because the way those formats are played don't fit into their vision of how the game should proceed, and because Eternal players don't buy enough packs.
    Maybe their eventual aim is to make Legacy and Vintage kind of like the Pokemon Unlimited format, where it isn't used for large events. Probably Legacy will be like Vintage; GenCon and Europe only, but nothing else sponsored by WotC.

Too bad.

It's a b.s. idea in my opinion that the reserved list exists.
    1) Beta, alpha, and unlimited cards will still be worth a piss load of money.
    2) More people will be able to play eternal formats without selling their souls.
    3) Wizards will make a bunch more money than they would for not reprinting.
    4) It's fucking cardboard.
    5) New art!

The only people that don't want the reserved list dropped are people that will be super butt hurt because they had paid 1000 dollars for a single dual land and people that dumb shouldn't be able to breed.
    Quote Originally Posted by thefringthing View Post
    baghdadbob, you're Team Scrubbad's spirit animal.

Quote Originally Posted by (nameless one) View Post
    I personally think WotC has fixed this problem: make cards that will cost a lot in recent sets. Look Jace, Fetchlands and other standard money cards.
    ...or this. However have you seen Gatecrash?

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Apple patented "round corners" and won the lawsuit. I think everything is possible.
    Amazing, you can penalize 80% of all smartphone, tablet pc's, TV's, fucking batteries and sandwich-toster if that is real *facepalm*

Ok, stupid me. I already know that some people tried to put a trademark on certain words/phrases there. Why expect some sanity...
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

May 2011
    Belgium

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Like I said. I hate playing against new people. And I suck so that definition applies to me. I just like competent players...
    I understand what you mean, however, when i quoted you i probably meant something else with "restrictive entry". Legacy has a whole other feel than other formats. Mainly because the players are more mature. The population playing legacy is often older because a lot of money is needed to enter the format. This makes legacy tournaments often more fun to go to IMO. The price barrier and nature of the format makes it so that not every random player can jump onto the legacy train. It kind of filters out he player base.

That doesn't mean i don't want the prices to lower. Prices are insane now. I thought i already payed much when i paid 60 for my Tundra's. Certainly if i look at the poor fellows in America, man those prices are insaaaaane there.
    I don't like MTG, i just like legacy control decks.
    Esper stoneblade

Remember that wizard uses eternal staples as dollar bills to pay judges

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Apple patented "round corners" and won the lawsuit. I think everything is possible.
    That lawsuit involved 1) a loaded plaintiff, and 2) alleged damages worth billions of dollars.

It's hard enough getting the justice system to recognize the value of Magic cards at all. Private actors that don't have massive disposable incomes trying to sue a company for revising its own policy on the basis that their Magic cards lost value, real or speculative? Yeah, good luck with that.
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

Quote Originally Posted by CorwinB View Post
    Yeah, there's no real incentive for Wizards to support Legacy and Vintage. It's too resource-intensive to design for these formats given the low returns; they'll spend a whole bunch of time trying (and likely failing) to design good Eternal cards or cards that won't break the format. Look at how badly they screwed up with Misstep. And every player-hour spent playing Vintage/Legacy is an hour not spent playing Standard/Limited, the big revenue driver formats. They've already got EDH as the, "Hey guys, your old cards still have value!" format...they don't need Legacy/Vintage.

But I do think they have something else guiding their policy on the Reserve List besides a method to quietly snuff out Legacy/Vintage as serious formats. Why? Thunder Spirit. I bet in nearly every set, and every core set, R&D would love a 1WW Flying, First Strike 2/2 in Limited, but the Reserve List cockblocks them. Seems likely that if the Reserve List was nothing but a "screw Legacy/Vintage" institution they would have violated it just for this...but they never have.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamaican Zombie Legend View Post
    Yeah, there's no real incentive for Wizards to support Legacy and Vintage. It's too resource-intensive to design for these formats given the low returns; they'll spend a whole bunch of time trying (and likely failing) to design good Eternal cards or cards that won't break the format. Look at how badly they screwed up with Misstep. And every player-hour spent playing Vintage/Legacy is an hour not spent playing Standard/Limited, the big revenue driver formats. They've already got EDH as the, "Hey guys, your old cards still have value!" format...they don't need Legacy/Vintage.

But I do think they have something else guiding their policy on the Reserve List besides a method to quietly snuff out Legacy/Vintage as serious formats. Why? Thunder Spirit. I bet in nearly every set, and every core set, R&D would love a 1WW Flying, First Strike 2/2 in Limited, but the Reserve List cockblocks them. Seems likely that if the Reserve List was nothing but a "screw Legacy/Vintage" institution they would have violated it just for this...but they never have.
    There are some other factors that lead me to believe keeping the list around isn't just because "well, Legacy doesn't make us money like Standard does." Such as:
    1) Getting rid of the list doesn't mean they have to reprint anything on it. Mana Drain isn't on the list, it's never been reprinted. They could get rid of the list and never reprint anything on it. So why keep themselves bound? They could stand to make some money off of it without really giving any "true" support to Legacy (e.g. putting the cards in very limited edition stuff like that Commander's Aresenal)
    2) Why get rid of the promo loophole?
    3) Why create Modern, which ultimately has the same strikes against it as Legacy? It's also a lot harder to develop for than Standard (supposedly, they don't even try), it also can potentially take people away from Standard/Limited, etc.
    4) According to Mark Rosewater, they won't be doing things like Reverberate in the future (that is, things that aren't technically violations). Fork barely sees play in Legacy and isn't worth much, so why do that?

We can really only speculate what their reasoning is, but I really don't think it's "hey, this makes it so we don't have to support Legacy" for the above reasons.

It's an ugly pile of bones... like me.
    Sep 2004
    Albany

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    What about competent players that aren't loaded? I'm sure there are ~17 year olds that are really good at this game but don't have thousands of dollars to make a mana base.

Quote Originally Posted by joretapo View Post
    Remember that wizard uses eternal staples as dollar bills to pay judges
    Is that true? If it is then i'm okay with not retracting the reserved list.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by clavio View Post
    What about competent players that aren't loaded? I'm sure there are ~17 year olds that are really good at this game but don't have thousands of dollars to make a mana base.
    Thats rough. I am a college student who sucks at this game and I choose to spend my very limited funds to play legacy. Like I said, I think prices are a bit high at the moment, but as many have said, this game is a luxury and not everyone is going to be able to afford it. I want more people to be able to play legacy and I wouldnt mind if my few staples that I own were worth less if it meant that our Wednesday night legacy tourney got ten more people every week, but I also want to play against people that I dont need to explain every interaction to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Quote Originally Posted by baghdadbob View Post
    How does "Wizards gives promo cards to judges" lead to the conclusion of "Reserved List is okay"?

I'm not seeing any logical connection between these two statements.

Ooh... Shiny!

Aug 2005
    Raincouver

All Judge foils in the last three years have been non-reserved cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    How does "Wizards gives promo cards to judges" lead to the conclusion of "Reserved List is okay"?

I'm not seeing any logical connection between these two statements.
    You're going to have to re-read what I quoted guy because that's not even close to what he said. He said "eternal staples" which to me means duals/power 9.

You're going to have to re-read what I quoted guy because that's not even close to what he said.
    I did read what he said. He was talking about promo cards for judges. Which is what I said.
    He said "eternal staples" which to me means duals/power 9.
    That's an assumption you made, not what he said.

But sure, let's make sure we specify that eternal staples bit. "Judges get promos cards that are sometimes staples in eternal formats" does not lead to "reserved list is fine." You still haven't offered any connecting logic between these two rather unrelated statements.

That's because I misunderstood the guy and like you said assumed incorrectly. I read eternal staples and my mind went to duals and p9, now that I know that is not true I retract my statement. Can we still be friends or would you rather step on my balls some more?

Jan 2013
    Ithaca, NY

I would like it if they abolished the reserved list. I would not mind at all if my collection was worth less anyways. I'd guess i don't speak for most people because I'm 13 and play mono red goblins. :P

Oh, and TES, but that thing has like 3 dual lands in it.

Thread Information