View Poll Results: How would you feel if Wizards abolished the Reserved List?

Voters
231. You may not vote on this poll
  • Positively, and suspect my opinion is the majority.

179 77.49%
  • Negatively, and suspect my opinion is the majority.

14 6.06%
  • Positively, and suspect my opinion is the minority.

9 3.90%
  • Negatively, and suspect my opinion is the minority.

15 6.49%
  • Indifferent, and suspect my opinion is the majority.

5 2.16%
  • Indifferent, and suspect my opinion is the minority.

9 3.90%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Poll: Reserved List

Quote Originally Posted by baghdadbob View Post
    That's because I misunderstood the guy and like you said assumed incorrectly. I read eternal staples and my mind went to duals and p9, now that I know that is not true I retract my statement. Can we still be friends or would you rather step on my balls some more?
    Lol ;)

Re: Poll: Reserved List

If Wizards teases - blatantly - an abolishment of the Reserved List for a year or so, that would give collectors a chance to cash out. Granted, the value would come down anyway because of the rumors, but it would be something.

Quote Originally Posted by John Cox View Post
    It doesn't matter if there was a 90% majority or even higher. A class action suite against wizards would be a big problem for them. They're never getting rid of the reserved list. 100 people are all it's going to take to stop it from happening.
    Bullshit.

There isn't a 100 people that might file a class action lawsuit. They don't exist. They have never existed.

The real issue is WotC can't profit off of removing the Reserved List. That's why they won't ever bother with it.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Quote Originally Posted by DragoFireheart View Post
    The real issue is WotC can't profit off of removing the Reserved List. That's why they won't ever bother with it.
    You don't think if Wizards abolished the list, announced some kind of limited print run, "Legacy Legends" or something, MSRP $7.95 a pack with mythic new art black bordered dual lands and Thoughtseize and JTMS and whatnot, that people wouldn't buy them?

As it stands there is money to be made either way, as it is now with SCG leading the way with large gains for eternal staples. Or Wizards could decide they like money too and support Legacy by printing cards that people are already willing to spend $100 for.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Making a profit of abolishing the reserved list is easy as stealing from children. I mean, Legacy Masters anyone? What about a having several GPs and a PTQ season fed by Legacy Masters? This would be kind of bringing Cube into the competitive scene - everybody loves Legacy, everybody loves Cube, everybody loves more people being able to play Legacy. And what's the special #1 price for winning the first Legacy Masters GP? WotC will make you announce the reprint of the original 10 Duals in the next set - which is going to be unveilled as Urza's Timemachine.

Oh yeah baby...
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Site Contributor
    Apr 2013
    France

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Making a profit of abolishing the reserved list is easy as stealing from children. I mean, Legacy Masters anyone? What about a having several GPs and a PTQ season fed by Legacy Masters? This would be kind of bringing Cube into the competitive scene - everybody loves Legacy, everybody loves Cube, everybody loves more people being able to play Legacy. And what's the special #1 price for winning the first Legacy Masters GP? WotC will make you announce the reprint of the original 10 Duals in the next set - which is going to be unveilled as Urza's Timemachine.

Oh yeah baby...
    I just wet my pants!

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post
    You don't think if Wizards abolished the list, announced some kind of limited print run, "Legacy Legends" or something, MSRP $7.95 a pack with mythic new art black bordered dual lands and Thoughtseize and JTMS and whatnot, that people wouldn't buy them?
    Unless they printed them like a real set (quantity, that is), I don't think any of those would end up in the hands of players.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

Ooh... Shiny!

Aug 2005
    Raincouver

Quote Originally Posted by thecrav View Post
    Unless they printed them like a real set (quantity, that is), I don't think any of those would end up in the hands of players.
    Yeah, they'd have to print it as much as RTR, and even then...

Foil duals omg... Print it in Russian and Korean too.

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post

As it stands there is money to be made either way, as it is now with SCG leading the way with large gains for eternal staples. Or Wizards could decide they like money too and support Legacy by printing cards that people are already willing to spend $100 for.
    Nah, they make most of their money from Standard. They might get a boost at first, but once everyone got the cards they needed packs wouldn't sell anymore.

With Standard, they keep changing it and making new cards. With Legacy, most of the good cards are set in place. Also, WotC wouldn't start selling singles, less they piss of the stores that support them.

Quote Originally Posted by DragoFireheart View Post
    Nah, they make most of their money from Standard. They might get a boost at first, but once everyone got the cards they needed packs wouldn't sell anymore.

With Standard, they keep changing it and making new cards. With Legacy, most of the good cards are set in place. Also, WotC wouldn't start selling singles, less they piss of the stores that support them.
    ...So make it a Limited print run like a typical Standard set?

Ooh... Shiny!

Aug 2005
    Raincouver

Also, I think this will only happen when Magic wanes in popularity again. Eventually, the new players will quit, sales will dip, and they will have to think of a way to bring the "old players" back. Abolishing the list may be a solution, depending on how bad the dip is.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

A friend in chat put it really well. Just about everyone in this forum has a handful of dual lands. Even if it's only a playset of blue duals, that's 500+ USD invested, with many of us holding much more.

That being said, would you accept allA/B/U duals being banned if they printed a format-legal functional reprint to allow more players to play?

As a collector, my answer would be no.

As a player (which I am first and foremost), I say absolutely yes. The entire argument is whether we are willing to accept a reduced value of our collection in exchange for an increased playerbase.
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

A friend in chat put it really well. Just about everyone in this forum has a handful of dual lands. Even if it's only a playset of blue duals, that's 500+ USD invested, with many of us holding much more.

That being said, would you accept allA/B/U duals being banned if they printed a format-legal functional reprint to allow more players to play?

As a player (which I am first and foremost), I say absolutely yes. The entire argument is whether we are willing to accept a reduced value of our collection in exchange for an increased playerbase.
    The problem I have with banning the dual lands is the way it unbalances the format. Without the dual lands, everyone defaults to the shocklands, which by itself is fine. The problem is that this suddenly powers up Wasteland significantly. With the original duals, Wasteland had an important job in the format, and that was to give them a legitimate disadvantage to use them. But the shocklands (and all other dual lands) have their disadvantage built into them. So I feel that would power Wasteland up too much; you already are disadvantaged by it being tapped or taking 2 damage, no need to add Wasteland on top of that. But we can't ban Wasteland too, because then the other abusive nonbasics (Mishra's Factory, The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, Maze of Ith) can all run amuck much more easily.

I feel like if you were to ban the original dual lands, you'd have to ban a bunch of other stuff to keep things balanced.

Win or lose, it begins with...
    Mar 2007
    Milwaukee, WI

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    The problem I have with banning the dual lands is the way it unbalances the format. Without the dual lands, everyone defaults to the shocklands, which by itself is fine. The problem is that this suddenly powers up Wasteland significantly. With the original duals, Wasteland had an important job in the format, and that was to give them a legitimate disadvantage to use them. But the shocklands (and all other dual lands) have their disadvantage built into them. So I feel that would power Wasteland up too much; you already are disadvantaged by it being tapped or taking 2 damage, no need to add Wasteland on top of that. But we can't ban Wasteland too, because then the other abusive nonbasics (Mishra's Factory, The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, Maze of Ith) can all run amuck much more easily.

I feel like if you were to ban the original dual lands, you'd have to ban a bunch of other stuff to keep things balanced.
    I think thecrav was suggesting that Wizards ban the A/B/U/R duals from any currently legal format, abolish The Reserved List, then print functional reprints, so that we'd still have access to Swamp Island, but so would every Standard/Modern player that cracks packs that's interested in Legacy. His point was that the collectibility angle would take a hit as the A/B/U/R duals are now banned, but from a player's perspective, it would be good as it would assuredly promote growth in Legacy.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

First of all, they are unable to print functional reprints, or apparently even one-offs. Fork/Reverberate for example; someone somewhere "got in trouble" over Reverberate, so there can never be a Snow Dual or similarly worded functional analog without a drawback - hence those beautiful shocklands.

Second, as one of a handful of individuals on this board who has never had reasonable means to acquire any ABRU dual lands (and has already been in the unfortunate position of liquidating the bulk of his collection a few years back), I do not care if the price of duals drops to $0.05 tomorrow. The people who complain about how there's too goddamned many threads on this board regarding the Reserve Policy and the price of format staples are absolutely right - the discussion has gone on for-balls-ever and it's all moot, because unless there's a major league change of heart over as Hasbro/Wizards/whatever, things will simply continue in the direction they're headed.

Whatever that means; I'm not saying the format is going to crumble under its own entry fee. But you know, I'm just starting to get a little sick of dual lands being this carrot on a string that can only get shorter and further away. I could piss and moan about my station in life and I could get a bunch of "shut the fuck up and get a real job" speeches, but the fact of the matter is I'm gainfully employed - I just have obligations that demand priority over cardboard. I just have more and more difficulty accepting the amount of money that I should be asked to throw at some goddamned Badlands. It's just stupid. I don't like being actively priced out of the game with each passing day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    I think thecrav was suggesting that Wizards ban the A/B/U/R duals from any currently legal format, abolish The Reserved List, then print functional reprints, so that we'd still have access to Swamp Island, but so would every Standard/Modern player that cracks packs that's interested in Legacy. His point was that the collectibility angle would take a hit as the A/B/U/R duals are now banned, but from a player's perspective, it would be good as it would assuredly promote growth in Legacy.
    Ah, my bad for misreading it. Sorry!

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    Chiming in to confirm that this is what I meant.

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Hell no. This is the absolute worst of all worlds. You manage to subvert the Reserved List since functional reprints are already not permitted. You absolutely tank the value of cards not only for the players, but also for the collectors, who will still have the same inclination to sue, if not more so, since this is probably even more damaging to their collection value (since their original copies are useless in Legacy). And now we have to hunt down new copies of these functional reprints, all so you can arbitrarily ban a subset of cards and reprint a new set in order to circumvent an equally arbitrary reprint policy.

If it's ever necessary to inject a greater supply of duals (and many people would argue we're already at this point or that we are nearing it), then they should just do away with the Reserved List.

Dec 2011
    Calgary, Alberta

Wizards could probably get a majority of people to shut up if they only reprinted duals. I think we could support dual land reprints in Commander decks in a series of 10 two-color commander decks, allowing EDH players a chance at a dual land, but giving people to option to move their 1-of for value.

Quote Originally Posted by mini1337s View Post
    Wizards could probably get a majority of people to shut up if they only reprinted duals. I think we could support dual land reprints in Commander decks in a series of 10 two-color commander decks, allowing EDH players a chance at a dual land, but giving people to option to move their 1-of for value.
    Even making each one a $50 precon with a dual of that color in would help immensely...provided ton sof dealers didn't just jack up the price on these to match the current dual price.

Thread Information