Page 117 of 118 FirstFirst ... 1767107113114115116117118 LastLast
Results 2,321 to 2,340 of 2358

Thread: [Deck] Aluren

Trop -> Nacatl Pass
    Dec 2003
    SUNY Geneseo

Re: [Deck] Aluren

I'm not sold on Assassin's Trophy. Sure, Abrupt Decay can be a dead cascade sometimes. Yes, the new card can sometimes kill a land, and your opponent won't have a basic to fetch. But it seems to me, like the good majority of the time in that situation, Assassin's Trophy will be a dead cascade all the same as Abrupt Decay. It's complicated, I don't think the card is strictly better, and I tend to think Abrupt Decay is more valuable.
    Last edited by troopatroop; 09-12-2018 at 12:07 AM.

Maby a good split could be the best idea .
    Or lets say if u know the meta you could tend to play one or the other more.

Lets hope for other toys to get aluren great again :P

Aug 2008
    Slovenia

Looks like a straight upgrade of Rec Sage for W builds.

Vatija Mlohavich
    May 2010
    Croatia

Alt kill w/ any bounce creature
    PTT (Formerly of MTT) - We make Champion

Quote Originally Posted by swoop View Post

Nothing Brain Freeze, Merrow Witsniper or Drowner of Secrets already do. You can even see how fitting the last one's name is compared to the new card.

One of the main problem of milling-kill in this deck is that you cannot win responding to a lethal attack or final bolt or something like this. And the thing that it is an enchantment is also quite a big downside. But it is always good to bring new cards to Aluren pool to think about :-)

Jul 2015
    Tri-state Area

Other than the ability to pitch to Force, isnt Alter of the Brood just better since it's a mana cheaper?

Quote Originally Posted by troopatroop View Post
    [cards]

Am I a fool if I just ditch the basics lands? I feel like the deck runs better without them.
    (As nicely as possible) Yes.

`Lands, Aggro Loam and sometimes BUG control and Jund out of the board, can all Loam/Wasteland lock you.
    `Various flavors of Delver can deliver especially punishing opens by wastelanding you after sticking a threat.
    `Price of Progress is still in Burn and UR delver.
    `Wasteland after Heirach/Vial opening from Taxes/Maverick are brutal and make Thalia even harder.
    `Blood Moon is still a thing.
    `Miracles and some versions of UW Blade now boast Back to Basics (and you give yourself access to the card with basics)

Yes, I really feel like you should be running basics. The deckbuilding concession I most notably made was not including Hymn. While I do not discount that there are some number of free wins by hitting Hymn on turn 2 or off of a Shardless, I still think some of the plays below illustrate why I think the loss of Hymn s worth the basics. You could still board Hymns vs combo or control decks with no threats to your mana.

I also would have considered playing a 3rd Leovold, but the basics can sometimes make him hard to cast.

I played the same 75 as from a previous tournament at a 20 person (I think) Legacy tournament:

Deck:

4 ponder
    4 brainstorm
    3 inquisition of koz

4 baleful strix
    3 cavern harpy
    3 abrupt decay
    1 jitte
    1 jace, vryn's prodigy

4 shardless agent
    2 leovold
    2 parasitic strix
    1 manowar

3 aluren

4 FoW

4 misty
    4 catacombs
    4 delta
    2 sea
    2 trop
    2 bayou
    1 island
    1 forest
    1 swamp

SB:
    3 tarmogoyf
    1 reclamation sage
    1 grafdigger's cage
    2 surgical extraction
    1 liliana, last hope
    1 fleshbag marauder
    1 plague mare
    1 diabolic edict
    1 gilded drake
    1 back to basics
    1 toxic deluge
    1 null rod

I went 3-1 with wins vs Lands, Painter, and Storm and a loss to UR Delver in a very close 3 game match.

Lands exploded out of the gate G1 with double exploration and a wasteland. I fetched a basic swamp that let me Inquisition him and steal his Gamble that was his last card in hand. Had I not had a basic to fetch, I may have been locked out of the game. Instead he stalled and I won.

Painter had some moments where because I had fetched basics and was still able to deploy all of my non Aluren threats, I didn't need to use discard on Blood Moons. I also could hold my Abrupt Decay for combo pieces, and have the flexibility to hit the Blood Moon if I thought I could go off.

Against UR Delver I could have stopped playing duals after I had 1 in play to cast Aluren, but I thought I would need to cast multiple spells in either a counter battle or to make up for his tempo early. The damage from Price of Progress could have been mild, but was game breaking.

Vs Storm the basics weren't relevant.

Stick to the basics. You'll be happy you did.

anyone still play this deck regularly?

Quote Originally Posted by GradStudent View Post
    anyone still play this deck regularly?
    I do - both modo and paper. But discussing mainly on discord. Are you there as well?

https://discord.gg/3wJxfJ

Today I am trying Aluren Blade version, so I will see.

What do you play? Or just starting?

Quote Originally Posted by fapsik View Post
    I do - both modo and paper. But discussing mainly on discord. Are you there as well?

discord invalid? can i get in?

yeah discord invite didnt work. try again?
    I played aluren for a bit with DRS the bug version. haven't played it since the ban

Says expired

Quote Originally Posted by compacta_d View Post
    Says expired
    sorry guys, it is the discord settings...this could work: https://discord.gg/3hjqHU2

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

I'm trying a funky list on the White-Recruiter version; but I found a neat piece of tech in a 1-of Living Wish I wanted to share. Not only can it protect from your combo pieces being surgical'd; but you can also Shardless into Living Wish to fetch your Recruiter #4; meaning that if you're trying to finish your combo with Shardless/Harpy, it allows you to just cascade into your win-con directly, rather than trying to find it with Glint-nest. This allows the recruiter version to effectively do the same thing as the Glint-nest win-con (harpy->glint-spam to find strix.)

May not be good enough; but I'm still playing with it. I'm back down to 2 Harpy 1 PStrix and thinking I may get greedy with the Wish and go down to a singleton Harpy. The rest of the experiment is largely irrelevant other than I'm tying the list together with Aluren#3 being, instead, an Enlightened Tutor. Early testing I kept getting annoyed at having Aluren in hand all the time and figured I may as well make it a little more versatile.

Again, deep in brewing mode here; just thought I'd mention some odd tech I'm working on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestalim View Post
    Wrong. Gideon Emblem protect you from losing and you can even open your binder and slam some cards on the board, not even the HJ can DQ you now.

Jan 2015
    Portland, OR

Have you had a chance to try it yet? I am interested in the results. I've had some solid luck with the BUG version, but recently acquired a Savannah, and want to try out the recruiter version.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Jan 2015
    Portland, OR

I tested it out, 1-3x, and 1x was the right call. More than that got too magical xmas land, and often got couped up in your hand. The line I found the most often was playing it on T2, grabbing Leovold, then jamming Leovold to either stick or get a counterspell out of their hand on T3. I can see some application for sure, but you don't want to use up too many precious SB slots with wish targets.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by fapsik View Post

thoughts on this list? http://www.tcdecks.net/deck.php?id=30411&iddeck=257691

Feb 2017
    Sweden

I picked up the deck after a short Aluren hiatus to try some new cards out!

I went 4-0 against these matchups:
    2-1 vs The Antiquities War
    2-1 vs UW Blade
    2-0 vs Infect
    2-1 vs Maverick

Here is my list!

Creatures:20
    4 Baleful Strix
    3 Cavern Harpy
    1 Glint-Nest Crane
    4 Ice-Fang Coatl
    2 Leovold, Emissary of Trest