Page 103 of 118 FirstFirst ... 3539399100101102103104105106107113 ... LastLast
Results 2,041 to 2,060 of 2358

Thread: [Deck] Aluren

Jun 2008
    Denver, CO

Re: [Deck] Aluren

Quote Originally Posted by Anaximandr View Post
    Given his popularity, are people considering this change [Kalastria Healer] as the deck standard?
    I think it's a great little pearl of wisdom. I'm making the switch. Works against True Believer and such, too.

I don't knew Kalastria but I think is pretty good in a shardless aget version of the deck... you can cast Kalistra with shardless for a easy combo.
    Kalistra is good when opponent play Leyline of Sanctity or Leovold... otherwise Parasitic Strix can be a better blocker for is 2/2 and because has fly.

However I'm the idea that Reclamation Sage is a must maindeck and post side don't go out for any reasons.
    And in this casa a Leyline is not a problem.

(Ps: sorry for my english )

Am I crazy in thinking to remove one of my 2 Toxic Deluge for a Shrivel in the board?

D&T/Maverick is such a pain and the extra mana can be tough to get to for Deluge due to Thalia,Wasteland, Port. Shrivel still hits Thalia,Revoker, Mom,Flickerwisp, Recruiter and does not hit Crusader, Prelate, Stoneforge, Palace Jailer, Teeg, Pridemage, KoTr obv.

Shrivel is also still good against Elves and Pyromancer/True-Name.

I'm on a White-recruiter build and would still have 1 Toxic Deluge and an Orzhov Pontiff as similar effects still in the board.

Aug 2016
    Flanders

Wouldn't you rather want Golgari Charm then? Has the same effect + 2 more options that can both be relevant for the deck.

Quote Originally Posted by Fjaulnir View Post
    Wouldn't you rather want Golgari Charm then? Has the same effect + 2 more options that can both be relevant for the deck.
    That's a good call...only difference is the G requirement...probably enough upside and not that hard to have a green as the second mana.

I think I like the 1/1 split of Golgari Charm/Toxic Deluge. It's just easier to get through Thalia, Wasteland, Port, Daze, Pierce against the respective decks it's good against.

And still having 1Toxic Deluge is fine as a backup and for larger threats.

Aug 2016
    Flanders

Yeah Basic Island would make Charm a bit harder to cast indeed - but for a deck trying to resolve a 2GG spell I think the GB is probably okay.

With Counterbalance gone there aren't many enchantments you need to destroy except Sneak Attack/Blood Moon/Leyline of Sanctity/Humility none of which see *that* much play (neither does Supreme Verdict) so it may depend on local metagame.
    I can see the regen effect be sweet against Eldrazi too tho, block 2 creatures with some Strixes and keep your blockers for a future Smsher.

Edit: didnt realise Shrivel was a sorcery until now. Then the instant speed on Charm could be great around Rishadan Port too.

http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=16326&d=300807&f=LE

Interesting list. I like FoW + Thoughtseize. Trophy Mage is interesting. I don't like the Creeping Tar Pit though.

Quote Originally Posted by Fjaulnir View Post
    Yeah Basic Island would make Charm a bit harder to cast indeed - but for a deck trying to resolve a 2GG spell I think the GB is probably okay.

With Counterbalance gone there aren't many enchantments you need to destroy except Sneak Attack/Blood Moon/Leyline of Sanctity/Humility none of which see *that* much play (neither does Supreme Verdict) so it may depend on local metagame.
    I can see the regen effect be sweet against Eldrazi too tho, block 2 creatures with some Strixes and keep your blockers for a future Smsher.

Edit: didnt realise Shrivel was a sorcery until now. Then the instant speed on Charm could be great around Rishadan Port too.
    Agreed on the instant speed being a boon as well, including against port.

And I think charm for Eldrazi with regen with Strixes is probably worth it (I was otherwise bringing in the 2nd Deluge here).

I saw that list as well and I don't get the Tarpit either and maxing out Shardless is better than the Trophy Mage in the pure BUG list (maybe a 1-of Trophy Mage has merit with 3 Agent).

Hey guys. New Aluren Player here. Just got into legacy a few months ago and I am in love with this deck. Ive been playing it on MTGO and I am buying it in paper soon. This deck is just so much fun play. From my testing I have found that glint nest crane just isn't needed, and is just bad(in my humble opinion). Instead, I've ventured to roll with 1 thoughtseize in the main for the past month or so and I really like it. My favorite card out of the sideboard is carpet of flowers as it just absolutely owns delver! Honorable mention out of the sideboard goes to faerie macabre for graveyard shenanigans(and how it avoids duress). Aluren is one of the coolest most unique cards ever and this deck holds the same honor.

Just wanted to share that with y'all and see if anyone has any tips for an Aluren noob.

Gwiff

Quote Originally Posted by GwiffTheMoonSage View Post
    Hey guys. New Aluren Player here. Just got into legacy a few months ago and I am in love with this deck. Ive been playing it on MTGO and I am buying it in paper soon. This deck is just so much fun play. From my testing I have found that glint nest crane just isn't needed, and is just bad(in my humble opinion). Instead, I've ventured to roll with 1 thoughtseize in the main for the past month or so and I really like it. My favorite card out of the sideboard is carpet of flowers as it just absolutely owns delver! Honorable mention out of the sideboard goes to faerie macabre for graveyard shenanigans(and how it avoids duress). Aluren is one of the coolest most unique cards ever and this deck holds the same honor.

Just wanted to share that with y'all and see if anyone has any tips for an Aluren noob.

Gwiff
    Hi there! I run a little show called Sideboard Files on YouTube and our last episode is indeed on Aluren.

As the name suggests, the video is primarily focused on sideboard options and sideboard plans, but we do cover a bit the main deck as well, discussing the core and flexi slots.
    I hope you find this interesting and informartive.

Great video, very useful as deck presentation or for players having little experience with the deck

Quote Originally Posted by Moneymakermich View Post
    Great video, very useful as deck presentation or for players having little experience with the deck
    Thanks a lot! In case we do a "matchup update", what matchups would you find most interesting?

What's the collective's thought on the Hybrid/Shardless list out of Japan last week? https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles...ews-from-japan

Quote Originally Posted by csanders View Post
    What's the collective's thought on the Hybrid/Shardless list out of Japan last week? https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles...ews-from-japan
    I've played several matches on Cockatrice with this main deck and slightly modified board. I think it's amazing. I've never liked the Recruiterless versions until this one. Ancestral Visions and Hymns make the deck so much better than that Glint Nest junk. The deck can easily function as regular Shardless BUG does but closes the game out super fast with the combo. With this list you could even shave an Aluren and add the fourth FoW for a combo heavy meta and the deck would perform greatly. The deck does very well against Sneak and Show, Czech Pile, all Delvers. Hard matchups continue to be Storm variants and Elves, but the more stable mana base and more long term card advantage is what has kept me interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TTX View Post
    I prefer the recruiter lists, and not Force of Will. This list includes a little bit of the NicFit package. GSZ can only retrieve Veteran, DRS, Witness, or Leovold. After sideboard, Scooze, Rec Sage, and Glissa. With the Veteran inclusion is it possible to achieve a turn 2 win with discard protection. Anyway, let me know what you guys think!

// 60 Maindeck
    // 21 Creature
    4 Recruiter of the Guard
    4 Baleful Strix
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    3 Leovold, Emissary of Trest
    1 Quickling
    1 Eternal Witness
    1 Veteran Explorer
    1 Cavern Harpy
    1 Arctic Merfolk
    1 Parasitic Strix

// 5 Enchantment
    4 Aluren
    1 Sylvan Library

// 6 Instant
    4 Brainstorm
    2 Abrupt Decay

// 19 Land
    1 Bayou
    2 Forest
    1 Island
    1 Swamp
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Volrath's Stronghold
    3 Misty Rainforest
    1 Savannah
    2 Tropical Island
    1 Underground Sea
    1 Polluted Delta
    1 Phyrexian Tower

// 9 Sorcery
    4 Cabal Therapy
    3 Thoughtseize
    2 Green Sun's Zenith

// 15 Sideboard
    // 8 Creature
    SB: 2 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    SB: 1 Orzhov Pontiff
    SB: 1 Bone Shredder
    SB: 1 Containment Priest
    SB: 1 Scavenging Ooze
    SB: 1 Glissa, the Traitor
    SB: 1 Reclamation Sage

// 1 Enchantment
    SB: 1 Carpet of Flowers

// 6 Instant
    SB: 2 Surgical Extraction
    SB: 1 Golgari Charm
    SB: 1 Mindbreak Trap
    SB: 1 Abrupt Decay
    SB: 1 To the Slaughter
    Please tell me what the Glissa, the Traitor was in the sideboard for. That is spicy

Quote Originally Posted by PuppyWuppy View Post
    Please tell me what the Glissa, the Traitor was in the sideboard for. That is spicy
    I've sided Glissa in my BUG list as a silver bullet against Eldrazi. She eats Reality Smasher for breakfast. She's also pretty solid against anything running Jitte, as you kill their critter before they gain counters.

Dusted off Aluren for the first time since the Top ban last night (had been cycling between Lands and Grixis Delver) and decided to take a few cards out for a test spin. Only 8 people showed up for the weekly, so the testing was quite limited, but it was fun to play the deck again! Here's the 75 I ended up running:

//60 Maindeck
    //23 Creature
    2 Baleful Strix
    1 Cavern Harpy
    2 Coiling Oracle
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    2 Dream Stalker
    1 Eternal Witness
    4 Imperial Recruiter
    2 Leovold, Emissary of Trest
    1 Parasitic Strix
    2 Shardless Agent
    1 Vengeful Rebel
    1 Wasteland Strangler

//4 Other Permanents
    4 Aluren

//12 Spells
    2 Abrupt Decay
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Cabal Therapy
    2 Thoughtseize

//21 Lands
    1 Badlands
    1 Bayou
    2 Forest
    1 Island
    4 Misty Rainforest
    3 Polluted Delta
    1 Swamp
    2 Underground Sea
    2 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Volcanic Island
    1 Wooded Foothills

//15 Sideboard
    1 Abrupt Decay
    1 Carpet of Flowers
    1 Edric, Spymaster of Trest
    1 Engineered Plague
    1 Faerie Macabre
    1 Fire Imp
    4 Force of Will
    1 Izzet Staticaster
    1 Magus of the Moon
    1 Minister of Pain
    1 Null Rod
    1 Reclamation Sage

The test cards for me were (maybe clearly) the Vengeful Rebel and Wasteland Strangler. I couldn't tutor for them, but just wanted more maindeck removal, and these guys seemed like decent options that left a body behind. Between 10 fetchlands, 4 Cabal Therapy, and bounce, Rebel was surprisingly easy to turn on. I wanted to try a 1/1 split with the Strangler just to see how it would do, and it was decidedly worse, but I wanted an option for killing a Mother of Runes and figured it would at least be live against Force decks (or Burn, as it turns out, although it didn't come up).

Round 1 was a loss to burn, which isn't surprising. Didn't find the combo g1, and g2 I had to mull to 5. I had almost the best hand I could ask for (3 fetchlands, Aluren, and Imperial Recruiter), but given that I had to fetch 4 times (only other land I drew) and had no speed bumps, I died to a bolt in response to me cracking the 4th fetch.
    Round 2 was a win v Miracles, where I lost g1 but was able to rally with g2/g3 victories, g2 by killing 2 Mentors with the test cards and then beating face for 6, and then g3 by assembling the combo in t3 of turns.
    Round 3 was a win v Grixis Delver, and having removal that left relevant bodies behind was actually really relevant here.

Quote Originally Posted by csanders View Post
    I've sided Glissa in my BUG list as a silver bullet against Eldrazi. She eats Reality Smasher for breakfast. She's also pretty solid against anything running Jitte, as you kill their critter before they gain counters.
    That's awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by PuppyWuppy View Post
    That's awesome.
    While she pairs really well with Baleful Strix as well, Eldrazi isn't that common right now,
    so I have dropped the Glissa from the board for more common problem matchups such as Elves, Storm and D&T.

I've been playing more with the Recruiter-based list. I'm leaning back toward it over the Recruiterless Shardless BUG version.
    I find the Recruiter versions to be much better at closing out the game immediately. While the mana base is slightly less stable,
    I find that it allows better sideboard options and is essentially negligible when play 4 DRS. I'm still not convinced of the single Shardless Agent.
    I do like her, but it could just as well be a 3rd Thoughtseize, Coiling Oracle, Abrupt Decay, Edric Spymaster of Trest, or Fleshbag Marauder.

60 Maindeck
    22 Creature

1 Cavern Harpy
    1 Parasitic Strix
    4 Baleful Strix
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Recruiter of the Guard
    1 Arctic Merfolk
    1 Reclamation Sage
    1 Eternal Witness
    1 Quickling
    1 Shardless Agent

4 Aluren
    1 Sylvan Library
    4 Brainstorm
    3 Abrupt Decay
    4 Cabal Therapy
    2 Thoughtseize

20 Lands

1 Bayou
    2 Forest
    1 Island
    1 Swamp
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Misty Rainforest
    2 Tropical Island
    1 Underground Sea
    2 Polluted Delta
    1 Scrubland
    1 Savannah

// 15 Sideboard
    SB: 1 Phyrexian Revoker
    SB: 3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    SB: 3 Surgical Extraction
    SB: 3 Toxic Deluge
    Last edited by TTX; 09-04-2017 at 10:55 PM. Reason: Moar Tocsik DelYuj

Quote Originally Posted by TTX View Post
    While she pairs really well with Baleful Strix as well, Eldrazi isn't that common right now,
    so I have dropped the Glissa from the board for more common problem matchups such as Elves, Storm and D&T.

I've been playing more with the Recruiter-based list. I'm leaning back toward it over the Recruiterless Shardless BUG version.
    I find the Recruiter versions to be much better at closing out the game immediately. While the mana base is slightly less stable,
    I find that it allows better sideboard options and is essentially negligible when play 4 DRS. I'm still not convinced of the single Shardless Agent.
    I do like her, but it could just as well be a 3rd Thoughtseize, Coiling Oracle, Abrupt Decay, Edric Spymaster of Trest, or Fleshbag Marauder.

60 Maindeck
    22 Creature

1 Cavern Harpy
    1 Parasitic Strix
    4 Baleful Strix
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Recruiter of the Guard
    1 Arctic Merfolk
    1 Reclamation Sage
    1 Eternal Witness
    1 Quickling
    1 Shardless Agent

4 Aluren
    1 Sylvan Library
    4 Brainstorm
    3 Abrupt Decay
    4 Cabal Therapy
    2 Thoughtseize

20 Lands

1 Bayou
    2 Forest
    1 Island
    1 Swamp
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Misty Rainforest
    2 Tropical Island
    1 Underground Sea
    2 Polluted Delta
    1 Scrubland
    1 Savannah

// 15 Sideboard
    SB: 1 Phyrexian Revoker
    SB: 3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    SB: 3 Surgical Extraction
    SB: 3 Toxic Deluge
    I also play a recruiter version and playtested last Friday.
    An advice I would recommend you seeing your decklist is to test gitaxian probe, if you haven't already.
    I've found it really powerful: gives perfect information on potential counters/wastelands/removal, draw a card for free, combo with cabal therapy and additional blue to support FOW (is it maindeck or side).
    In your list, I would play 4 and remove for them shardless agent, sylvan library, reclamation sage and 1 leovold, but as you wish ofcourse.
    Just give it a try

Thread Information