Page 108 of 118 FirstFirst ... 85898104105106107108109110111112 ... LastLast
Results 2,141 to 2,160 of 2358

Thread: [Deck] Aluren

Re: [Deck] Aluren

FFreak, would you be able to post your decklist in text form? I can't quite make out some of the cards.

With delver and moon decks running around, I feel BUG might be better positioned. Delver preys on conplicated mana bases and simplifying that a little is probably quite beneficial.

Feb 2017
    Sweden

Tournament Report 2017-12-10, Stockholm, Sweden. Dragon's Lair Legacy.

I attended a Legacy tournament this weekend with one of my favorite decks, which is Aluren, and was quite happy with the configuration that I ended up with. For a long time I have opted for the version with Imperial Recruiters but I have shied away from that build recently and played the strict BUG version for some time with good results.

The list that I played looked like this:

Main:
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Baleful Strix
    3 Cavern Harpy
    1 Glint-nest Crane
    2 Parasitic Strix
    4 Shardless Agent
    2 Leovold, Emissary of Trest
    4 Brainstorm
    3 Abrupt Decay
    4 Force of Will
    2 Thoughtseize
    2 Ponder
    1 Sylvan Library
    4 Aluren
    2 Underground Sea
    2 Tropical Island
    2 Bayou
    1 Snow-Covered Forest
    1 Snow-Covered Swamp
    1 Snow-Covered Island
    1 Volrath's Stronghold
    2 Misty Rainforest
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Polluted Delta

Sideboard:
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Grafdigger's Cage
    2 Nihil Spellbomb
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Maelstrom Pulse
    1 Golgari Charm
    2 Hydroblast
    2 Mindbreak Trap
    2 Faerie Macabre
    1 Bone Shredder
    1 Engineered Plague

My thought process when I decided on the 75 was that I wanted my game 1 to be very grindy and my sideboarded games to be strong against combo. I took a risk by not including Toxic Deluge or Minister of Pain in my sideboard but I decided that I was more afraid of cards like Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite or decks like Goblins, Elves or Death and Taxes. The result that I got and the sideboard plan worked out quite well during the tournament.

Match 1:
    Game1: I lose the die roll. My first opponent is on BR Reanimator, one of my least favorable matchups, but I find myself resolving an early Deathrite Shaman to his very slow hand. When he finally managed to play Collective Brutality to kill my Deathrite Shaman and reanimate a Sire of Insanity I have already added too many things to the board, like my Sylvan Library, which results in me finding Baleful Strixes and eventually a slow kill.
    Sideboarding looked like this:
    +1 Pithing Needle
    +1 Grafdigger’s Cage
    +2 Nihil Spellbomb
    +2 Mindbreak Trap
    +2 Faerie Macabre
    +1 Maelstrom Pulse
    +1 Bone Shredder
    -4 Aluren
    -3 Abrupt Decay
    -1 Cavern Harpy
    -2 Parasitic Strix

Game 2:
    My first seven consisted of 0 lands, 1 Faerie Macabre, 1 Nihil Spellbomb and Fow+blue cards but there is very little chance of me winning a game like that so I mulled to 6 which had: Verdant Catacombs, Deathrite Shaman, Ponder, Cavern Harpy and two Force of Will. I kept this hand and used my scry to put a Shardless Agent on the bottom of my library. My opponent revealed chancellor, played a land, dark ritual, entomb (Sire of Insanity) and exhume. I use both of my Force of Will to counter it. I get to take my turn, draw a Faerie Macabre, fetch Bayou and play Deathrite Shaman. From here it’s a back and forth game after he put Pithing Needle on the elf but eventually I get card advantage and close out the game.
    1-0

Match 2:
    Game 2: I lose the die roll. My second opponent is on AnT and start of by playing Underground sea and Ponder. I have the option of playing ponder myself but I was scared of some storm variant so I played t1 Thoughtseize to see Dark Ritual, Infernal Tutor, duress, Preordain and two lands. I was on a t4 combo hand so I went for the tutor and hoped for a brick for my opponent, which happened.
    Sideboarding for storm looked like this:
    +1 Grafdigger’s Cage
    +2 Nihil Spellbomb
    +2 Mindbreak Trap
    +2 Faerie Macabre
    +1 Maelstrom Pulse
    +1 Golgari Charm
    +1 Engineered Plague
    +1 Hydroblast
    -4 Aluren
    -2 Cavern Harpy
    -2 Parasitic Strix
    -3 Abrupt Decay

Game 2:
    My opponent mulled to 6 and kept, what I assume, a very graveyard heavy hand. He started of with Ponder again. I draw for the turn, play Nihil Spellbomb and pass the turn. He untaps and play a fetch and passes the turn. I play Deathrite Shaman and pass the turn with Force of Will and Mindbreak trap. My opponent plays Brainstorm (which he later told me drew 3 lands) and fetched. From here he bricket on a pretty important turn for him to try and go off or disturb my hand with Probe Therapy but he passes the turn once again. I untap and play Leovold, Emissary of Trest. From here I beat him down while having all the disruption necessary to stop him from this position.
    2-0

Match 3:
    Game 1:
    I recognize the name of my opponent because he usually does well at the tournaments in Stockholm and I’m quite certain that he is on Team America. He wins the die roll and plays a turn 1 Deathrite Shaman. I did the same on my turn. I can’t really recall exactly what happened this game but I got ”delvered” pretty hard with wastelands and hymns and end up losing.
    Game 2:
    I board out 2 Aluren, 2 Thoughtseize to bring in 1 Maelstrom Pulse, 1 Golgari Charm (saw TNN game 1), 1 Bone Shredder (extra removal for Delver and Goyf) and Umezawa’s Jitte. I thought about bringing in Nihil Spellbombs to shrink the goyfs but it didn’t seem that necessary at the time. I win game 2 after a very grindy game.
    Game 3: I bring in the Spellbombs after seeing Tombstalkers game 2 but I get delvered very heavy and when I thought that I had stabilized he played Brainstorm into Ponder into Deathrite Shaman and Tombstalker against my Deathrite shaman, Shardless Agent and Cavern Harpy. After a couple of intense turns he gets to lethal.
    2-1

Match 4:
    Game 1:
    I lose the die roll. My opponent plays Mox Diamond, Gamble and Grove of the burnwillows (with two Dark Depths in his graveyard). I played deathrite Shaman, that got to taste a very Punishing Fire. He took his turn and played Life from the Loam to return the Dark Depths and then played one of them. I untap and play a Baleful Strix. I managed to win game one after he decided to go for his combo rather than attacking my lands so that I could untap and jam Aluren into the combo.
    Sideboarding:
    +2 Faerie Macabre
    +2 Nihil Spellbomb
    +1 Pithing Needle
    -1 Shardless Agent
    -2 Force of Will
    -2 Thoughtseize

Game2:
    He plays Mox Diamond, Gamble and Rishadan Port. I play a turn 1 Deathrite Shaman. On his turn he played a fetchland and and started to Loam. On my turn two I play Nihil Spellbomb and remove his graveyard with Deathrite mana up in case he would cycle to save loam. He untaps and play a second Rishadan Port and started to Port my lands. I decided to play a Sylvan Library on my turn which two turns later found Pithing Needle on Port that allowed me to untap and win the game.
    3-1

Match 5:
    I know the opponent that I am paired up against and he’s either on UR Delver or Eldrazi Aggro. We draw into the top8.

With this I am number 8 in the top8 which means that I am on the draw every game. So far in the tournament I had only lost 2 games and both of them was vs Team America.

QF:
    I play a good friend of mine and I know that he is on Team America. He played very well during the swiss to a first place finish.
    Game 1: He played Deathrite on turn 1. I followed that up with a Deathrite of my own. He removed my Deathrite and Wastelanded my Underground Sea. I untap, play a Underground Sea and pass. He untaped, played Hymn and hit my last land in my hand out of 6 cards. I untap and draw Volrath’s Stronghold. With no plays in hand I pass the turn. He plays wasteland on my Underground Sea and I find myself sitting with a Volrath’s Stronghold for 3-4 turns before dying.
    Sideboarding:
    -2 Aluren
    -2 Thoughtseize
    +1 Pithing Needle
    +1 Maelstrom Pulse
    +1 Bone Shredder
    +1 Umezawa’s Jitte

Game 2: I’m on the play with a Deathrite Shaman. He answers with his own. From there the game was pretty much us jamming cards at each other until I could get a steady clock of 3 Baleful Strix on him which he could not find any answer for.
    Game 3: This game is very similar to game 2 but I find myself in a position where he has a Deathrite Shaman and a Liliana, the Last Hope in play and I have two Shardless Agent. My opponent has 2 cards in hand and I have around 4 due to the card advantage nature of the deck. I played my Umezawa’s Jitte and it took over the game in very quick fashion. My opponent, who had many outs, did not manage to find one that could get through my Force of Will however so I win.

Semifinals:
    My opponent and I have not seen each other during the whole day so no one is aware of what the other person is playing, which is usually good for me. He decides to play first and plays Bayou into Inqusition of Kozilek. I understand that I am up against TurboDepths. I play ponder on my turn and find a Baleful Strix. He played a Dark Confidant and passed the turn. This gave me the idea that he was not on the most explosive build but a rather grindy one, which is good for me. We play back and forth with different discard spells and eventually I resolve an Aluren and kill him.
    Sideboard:
    -1 Shardless Agent
    +1 Pithing Needle
    Sideboard note: This is the first BUG Aluren tournament that I’ve played without Ensnaring Bridge in my 75, which is funny because I played against Reanimator, Lands and Turbo Depths.

Game 2:
    My opponent plays a turn 1 Pithing Needle on Cavern Harpy, after my Cavern Harpy was impossible to kill game 1 and was very effective at blocking Marit Lage. I take my turn and play Deathrite Shaman. My opponent plays Dark Confidant and passes the turn. I play my own Pithing Needle on Vampire Hexmage to make sure that he would not be able to combo faster than I can handle. He plays another Dark Confidant and a Inquisition of Kozilek to discard my Cavern Harpy in hand. I play Thoughtseize to remove his Abrupt Decay but also see another Pithing needle and a Crop Rotation. I realize that I’m under heavy pressure due to two dark confidants and the combo threat of Crop into the combo piece he’s missing. My opponent bricks with his confidants, only revealing lands that are irrelevant to the boardstate. I resolve a Deathrite Shaman and a Parasitic Strix for extra blocking. After a couple of turns of Dark Confidant damage, Deathrite Shaman draining (he played pithing on Deathrite but I played Abrupt Decay so that my clock could continue) and blocking marit with different types of birds I drain him out.

Finals:
    I finished my games vs Turbo Depths quite fast so I had some time to collect myself and see what the other semifinalists were playing. The first player was on Jund Loam, which I consider a good matchup, and the other one was on UB Death’s Shadow which I thought looked scary.

Game 1: The Death’s Shadow player won and was seeded second so he decided to play first. He takes a lot of damage turn one with probes and Wraith and finally thoughtseizeing me. Not sure what to do with my hand he discarded my brainstorm, which is generally a strong move. I untap and play ponder. With my Ponder I see Baleful Strix and other good cards. He untaps, takes more damage with shocklands and plays a Death’s Shadow. From this point in the game I pretty much play 1 strix per turn or something similar in annoyance for him. (Abrupt Decays etc) He concedes when the combo arrives later.

Sideboarding:
    Not sure what just happened I figured that it’s quite a favorable matchup.
    -2 Aluren
    -1 Parasistic Strix
    -1 Cavern Harpy
    +2 Nihil Spellbombs (he played Gurmag Anglers and I was afraid of Snapcasters postboard.)
    +1 Maelstrom Pulse
    +1 Umezawa’s Jitte

Game 2:
    My opponent mulligan to 6 and just plays a fetch on turn one. I play Deathrite Shaman and pass the turn. He fetch a shockland and cycled a Wraith. Untaps, wasteland my land, plays two probes and a Death’s Shadow. I untap, play a land and jam a Baleful Strix onto the battlefield. From here my opponent freezes with no real good plays. After a couple of rounds he resolves a True-Name Nemesis which is finally a clock that will work. In the meantime I drain him with Deathrites and play more strixes. In the final turn of the tournament my opponent played another Death’s Shadow and a Gurmag Angler, which together with 1 removal would be lethal on the current boardstate with his TNN and his sideboarded Baleful Strix. I look at his life total, ask him for cards in hand (which was zero), drain him twice, untap, attack with the strixes and drain him twice again for the win.

This concluded the tournament.
    I was both lucky and made good plays, both which are necessary to win a tournament.
    Sorry for this wall of text!

Great read, CV

Is it considered correct to leave in all Force of Wills against delver decks?

I've been taking 2-4 out.

Quote Originally Posted by adreena View Post
    Is it considered correct to leave in all Force of Wills against delver decks?

I've been taking 2-4 out.
    Personnally I remove FOW's to enter removal / ensnaring bridge. They have too many discard & counters

Quote Originally Posted by koten View Post
    FFreak, would you be able to post your decklist in text form? I can't quite make out some of the cards.
    Sry for late answer ^^ So the list:

4 Verdant Catabombs
    4 Misty rainforest
    2 Polluted Delt
    2 Forest
    1 Island
    1 Swamp
    1 Bayou
    2 Tropical Island
    1 Underground Sea
    1 Savannah
    1 Scrubland

4 Aluren
    2 Sylviann Library

4 Baleful Strix
    1 Acrtic Merfolk
    1 Quickling
    1 Bird of Paradise
    1 Eternal WItness
    4 Deathrites
    4 Recruiter of the guard
    Academy Rector
    2 Leovold
    1 Harpy
    1 Strix

2 Thoughtsize
    4 Brianstorm
    4 Cabal Therapy
    3 Abrupt Decay

SB always change a bit and I gonna add it soon :)

Feb 2017
    Sweden

I might've boarded out a Force or two vs Team America. I'm not 100% sure.
    In my local meta they usually play a very midrangy version of TA which made me want to keep in some countermagic vs haymakers etc. Possibly boarded suboptimally and will revise boarding soon!

The top8 decks from the event is up on mtgtop8 now btw:
    http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=17827&f=LE

Am I missing something here. The Scarab God made it to the sideboard in Aluren?

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles...nal-party-2017

recently started playing around with a white recruiter list. loving the deck so far. i have a few questions:

-what are people's thoughts on FOW vs therapy/thoughtseize in the main? i like having protection against fast combo g1 but would love to get more therapies going for synergy.

-why do red lists play dreamstalker? i understand the distinction between the various bounce creatures, but i don't get why dreamstalker sees play with imperial recruiter and not recruiter of the guard. EDIT: got it, red recruiter only cares about power.

First of all my current deck:

1 parasitic strix
    4 recruiter of the guard
    4 baleful strix
    4 deathrite shaman
    1 birds of paradise
    2 cavern harpy
    1 arctic merfolk
    1 leovold

4 aluren
    1 green sun zenith
    1 sylvan library
    4 brainstorm
    4 ponder
    4 force of will
    3 abrupt decay
    1 umezawa's jitte

20 lands : forest, island, swamp + 10 fetches + 7 duals

Side: (often changing - very unsure about it)
    1 reclamation sage, 2 carpet of flowers, 2 collected brutality,
    2 voice of resurgence, 1 lost legacy, 1 grafdigger's cage,
    2 ensnaring bridge, 2 faerie macabre, 2engineered plague

Some feedback on card choices after my last tournaments with it:
    - this version using many 1 drops is very stable. I play it as the BUG version, just consider I swapped some cards for a better combo plan (compared to a classic BUG list: +4recruiter -1parasitic -2harpy -1crane).
    - I've played a lot with shardless agents in the place of the ponder but I find the ponders are far better, for early (mana) stabilisation as well as finding the combo later.
    - with that blue cards count, I prefer FOW over discard because it serves both purposes of stopping the opponent and protecting our own combo. Plus the fact that playing cabal therapy is really difficult.
    - in grindy/"midrange" games, deathrite and leovold shine. Therefore the green sun zenith is great. It can also get the birds of paradise which could be great against mana denial decks like delver of death&taxes.
    - the baleful strixes are a must and could not be replaced by coiling oracles, as I've read in a previous post. The ability to kill delvers, gurmag angler, eldrazis etc... is a real need.
    - the recruiters allow to play sub-par creatures like parasitic strix (1 is enough). Even if it becomes, I can just use the combo to pay 1 life to draw via strix, which is usually enough. I still play 2 harpies because this card is key.
    - sylvan library is really powerful, I recommend to try it to those who haven't yet. But I sometimes see 2 in lists : I prefer 1 to avoid having a dead card.
    - I play since a short time jitte maindeck and last FNM it won me 2 matches : one time I managed to control a (delver) board with it attached to a flying creature, the second time it ate a FOW which opened the way for my aluren next turn.
    - about sideboard cards : the strangest card is certainly the voices of resurgence. I wanted to try it against delver decks which are a heavy part of my local meta. It was OK and even won me games, but I'm still unsure about it, mostly because of the white in the casting cost. Against delver I consider it's hard to win via combo, and even more after sideboard. If I resolve voice by playing around daze, they usually dont want to FOW it. But from that moment, each daze/FOW gives me a (big) beast. And brainstoms and removal are played at sorcery speed. Also good interaction with zenith. My side against delver decks is : -4FOW, -1aluren, -1recruiter, +2 collected brutality, +2 carpet of flowers, +2 voice of resurgence. My record with this deck & startegy is currently 5win 3loss.

Any feedback is welcome. Thanks for reading

Hmm ok as far as I would say.

Why 2 Harpy ? One is enough most time, would be better a Eternal Witness.
    Maybe 1 more Leovold.
    FOW hmm I think the blue count is to less for FOW. So what can we pitch :

4 baleful strix
    1 cavern harpy
    1 leovold
    4 brainstorm
    4 ponder
    3 force of will

I dont like that plan, sry but Cabal Therapy is just to good. Yeah u need to understand what u could name but often going blind isnt that hard and there are many target which u can name :)
    And best trick I always go againt SnT: Turn one : I cabal they brainstorm then name Emrakul :) If u hit u gonna win kind easy.

And SB : Why no thoughtsize ?

Gonna write more later :)

Quote Originally Posted by FFreak View Post
    Hmm ok as far as I would say.

Why 2 Harpy ? One is enough most time, would be better a Eternal Witness.
    Maybe 1 more Leovold.
    FOW hmm I think the blue count is to less for FOW. So what can we pitch :

4 baleful strix
    1 cavern harpy
    1 leovold
    4 brainstorm
    4 ponder
    3 force of will

I dont like that plan, sry but Cabal Therapy is just to good. Yeah u need to understand what u could name but often going blind isnt that hard and there are many target which u can name :)
    And best trick I always go againt SnT: Turn one : I cabal they brainstorm then name Emrakul :) If u hit u gonna win kind easy.

And SB : Why no thoughtsize ?

Gonna write more later :)
    Thanks for the reply.
    The point with FOW is that if it is needed, I could exile whatever blue card.
    That means that to your list are added : parasitic strix, harpy and arctic merfolk.
    Even if cutting the strix cuts the combo finish (and therefore I was playing 2 harpies).
    But you are right : sometimes I'm not happy drawing one, and swapping 1 for eternal witness could be better, especially playing GSZ.
    I'll try to test that a bit ;-)

PS: show n tell is so easy... Against that deck only I've had 2 wins turn 0!

1/ he starts, turn1 tomb+petal into show n tell, I put aluren with in hand recruiter+fow+blue card => won turn 0 :-)

2/ (sideboard game against another guy, another day) he starts, turn1 tomb+petal into show n tell, I put ensnaring bridge => scoop

I'm going to GP Seattle in April, and unless something really weird happens I'll be playing Aluren. RIX doesn't really have anything that catches my eye, and there aren't any other new cards being released between now and then, so it's time for me to train up with what we have now.

My current list:
    Main:
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Cabal Therapy
    2 Thoughtseize
    3 Abrupt Decay
    4 Aluren
    1 Sylvan Library
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Baleful Strix
    2 Shardless Agent
    4 Recruiter of the Guard
    1 Parasitic Strix
    1 Reclamation Sage
    1 Cavern Harpy
    1 Arctic Merfolk
    1 Quickling
    1 Eternal Witness
    4 Misty Rainforest
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    2 Polluted Delta
    1 Savannah
    2 Tropical Island
    1 Underground Sea
    1 Bayou
    2 Forest
    1 Island
    1 Swamp
    1 Volrath's Stronghold
    Side:
    1 Abrupt Decay
    1 Bone Shredder
    2 Carpet of Flowers
    2 Force of Will
    1 Null Rod
    2 Meddling Mage
    2 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Thoughtseize
    2 Toxic Deluge
    1 Orzhov Pontiff

I think there's a decent chance Imperial Recruiter gets a reprint in Masters 25, in which case I'd prefer playing red to white, but that's a pretty easy swap. I could also be argued into a Recruiterless version if the meta starts to lean harder on nonbasic hate.

In particular, I'm looking for play advice and ways to tune the deck in order to strengthen my Miracles matchup. It's very winnable with this list and the games are skill-testing and fun. However, you don't earn extra points for having a "cool" match, and my experience with tournaments says that eight rounds is exhausting already, and if I get paired against Miracles a few times early I'd still like to have some brainpower left for the rest of the day.

@Apocynum

I would take out the discard, as they play using the top of the library.

With red I would bring in pyroblasts, with the white recruiter build: extra decay and oozes in order to play a midrange game, presenting thread after thread (max 2 at the same time to play around mass removal)

Been a while since I posted here, but I took Aluren back out for a spin yesterday and also decided to give Dire Fleet Daredevil a test because I opened one at the prerelease. My general rule of thumb when testing a card is to put it in the maindeck, because if I slap it in the sideboard I'm more likely just to chicken out and leave it there.

List:
    Main Deck:
    2 Baleful Strix
    1 Cavern Harpy
    2 Coiling Oracle
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    1 Dire Fleet Daredevil
    2 Dream Stalker
    1 Eternal Witness
    4 Imperial Recruiter
    1 Magus of the Moon
    1 Minister of Pain
    1 Parasitic Strix
    2 Shardless Agent

4 Aluren

2 Abrupt Decay
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Cabal Therapy
    2 Thoughtseize

1 Bayou
    2 Forest
    1 Island
    4 Misty Rainforest
    3 Polluted Delta
    1 Swamp
    1 Taiga
    2 Tropical Island
    2 Underground Sea
    2 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Volcanic Island
    1 Wooded Foothills

Sideboard:
    1 Abrupt Decay
    1 Carpet of Flowers
    1 Engineered Plague
    1 Faerie Macabre
    1 Fire Imp
    4 Force of Will
    1 Hostage Taker
    1 Izzet Staticaster
    1 Null Rod
    1 Phyrexian Revoker
    1 Reclamation Sage
    1 Scavenging Ooze

Match 1, I played against Maverick, which I find to be a pretty bad matchup. In game 1, I did manage to use Dire Fleet Daredevil to eat a Punishing Fire and use it to kill his Knight of the Reliquary (was summoning sick and he didn't have any lands in his graveyard), but otherwise he landed a Jitte and a Mom both games before I was able to find the combo or my Null Rod/Revoker.

Match 2, I played against RUG Delver. Game 1 was fairly lopsided as he mulliganed to 4 on the draw and I led with a Thoughtseize. Game 2 he got stuck on one Volcanic and a flipped Delver for several turns while I developed my board including some Baleful Strix and he found his second land too late.

Match 3, I played against Miracles, which I actually enjoy the back-and-forth on. I managed to use Dire Fleet Daredevil in one of the games, casting a Preordain (my first ever Preordain cast in Legacy!). Otherwise, we traded resources and I leaned on Cabal Therapy early on to make sure Mentors and Jaces didn't stick after removing his Brainstorms first so he couldn't hide things.

Match 4, I also played against Miracles, which made me wish I still had Bloodbraid Elf in my sideboard. I ultimately lost this match, but it was still very fun. In game 1, he just got there with Mentors after a very slow and fun game. Game 2, I landed a fairly early Magus of the Moon, which turned off his Azcanta and left him with 2 Islands and 5-6 Mountains to me having all of my basics and 4 mountains. I managed to land Aluren, which meant he didn't have any counters in hand, but I did know he had a Counterspell in his graveyard. When I went to cast Recruiter, he responded with a Snapcaster Mage intending to target his Counterspell. But instead, I got to flash in Dire Fleet Daredevil to Counterspell his Snapcaster Mage.

Overall, after playing with it, I very much liked having Dire Fleet Daredevil, and the last play with it was exactly what I'd dreamed I'd use it for, but it's in a very tough spot - it doesn't really feel like a maindeck card, as its functionality varies wildly from matchup to matchup. However, it doesn't really do enough to be fulfilling a specific role in the sideboard, as it's just a random critter that provides sometimes-value. While this may not exactly be news to people, I figured it was worth actually testing it, and if you play the red version and have a copy on hand, I would at least recommend taking it for a spin at a weekly event if you want to see some surprised faces on your opponents and generate some stories. I wouldn't take it anywhere else.

What's your game plan against Big Eldrazi? My local Meta has a lot of Mircales, Burn, Elves, Lands, 4c Loam, D&T, TinFins/BR Reanimator, and ELDRAZI - I am like 30% winrate against Eldrazi; thoughts?

Main:
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Baleful Strix
    4 Cavern Harpy
    1 Glint-nest Crane
    2 Parasitic Strix
    4 Shardless Agent

4 Brainstorm
    3 Abrupt Decay
    4 Force of Will
    2 Thoughtseize
    3 Ponder

3 Aluren

2 Underground Sea
    2 Tropical Island
    2 Bayou
    1 Forest
    1 Swamp
    1 Island

4 Misty Rainforest
    3 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Polluted Delta

Sideboard:
    1 Grafdigger's Cage
    1 Thoughtseize
    1 Abrupt Decay
    2 Umezawa's Jitte
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Cabal Therapy
    2 Chill
    2 Toxic Deluge
    2 Dread of Night

As someone who transitioned from Aluren to Big Eldrazi, I can recommend keeping them off of Trinisphere and Grim Monolith as best you can. Ignore Chalice if possible. The Aluren combo should happen before Eldrazi drops any fatties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Merrioc

I see in your sideboards many cards against small creatures:
    1 Abrupt Decay
    2 Umezawa's Jitte
    2 Toxic Deluge
    2 Dread of Night

I would recommend -1 Jitte -1 Dread of Night +2 Ensnaring bridge : this card is great against the big ones as eldrazi, lands, reanimator, show&tell.

Anyone still on Aluren :) ?
    Its not easy in the meta over all now, we got less disruption / counter against fast combo ...

But maybe someone got new ideas :)

Thread Information