Page 109 of 118 FirstFirst ... 95999105106107108109110111112113 ... LastLast
Results 2,161 to 2,180 of 2358

Thread: [Deck] Aluren

Re: [Deck] Aluren

Yeah it seems like people are not playing alot of aluren lately. I'm still rocking the wbug version because cabal therapy seems to help against the real fast combo, but I miss the grindyness of the bug version. I am taking Aluren to GP Seattle but from what I heard on forums and from people who play in Seattle, Lands will be running rampant so land hate might be rampant as well which means i might switch back to bug.

I've been seeing Liliana, the last hope in a lot of lists, in particular Cartesian. I've also seen baby Jace. How well do these cards fit in with the BUG version?

Hey, I am still playing Aluren BUG/Shardless version, but not exclusively that deck :)

Liliana, Last Hope is just a powerful card that demands and answer.
    Mini Jace appeared first in a Japanese list. It basically plays the role of Snapcaster, and is good for mana curve because 2cc.

I played 3 Aluren in the MTGO challenge yesterday and made top 8, but I am actually leaning towards playing a version with only 2 Aluren, 3 Harpy, and no other combo pieces - just max value.
    Because in many cases against blue decks, casting Aluren, even if you can cast it, and even if you win if it resolves, is incorrect because of the tempo loss involved if it gets countered. This actually happened to me against Stryfo in the challenge, if anyone saw that on stream.
    In chess, there is a saying: The threat is stronger than the execution. I think this holds very true for this deck - Aluren is an "ooops I win" threat that the opponent has to play around at all times.
    I almost never want to see Aluren in my opening hand. Recruiter version is a different story of course.

I think this deck can be competitive in the current meta. I am not going to post a list, because it changes constantly, but if anyone is considering playing it in major tournament like a GP, let me know if you want me to help with that.

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

Quote Originally Posted by Cartesian View Post
    In chess, there is a saying: The threat is stronger than the execution. I think this holds very true for this deck - Aluren is an "ooops I win" threat that the opponent has to play around at all times.
    While I've not played Aluren for quite a while, just wanted to say I'm a big fan of your deckbuilding and read this thread to see what you're up to. Same for Infect before! This theory behind choices is fantastic, shows a really deep understanding of the deck, it's strengths and weaknesses and what you want from that.
    Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    Storm was killed by Leovold
    Quote Originally Posted by LegacyIsAnEternalFormat View Post
    The power of blue is overrated...I personally play Jund and I consistently top 4 FNMs with it.

Hey, I am still playing Aluren BUG/Shardless version, but not exclusively that deck :)

Mini Jace appeared first in a Japanese list. It basically plays the role of Snapcaster, and is good for mana curve because 2cc.

I played 3 Aluren in the MTGO challenge yesterday and made top 8, but I am actually leaning towards playing a version with only 2 Aluren, 3 Harpy, and no other combo pieces - just max value.
    Because in many cases against blue decks, casting Aluren, even if you can cast it, and even if you win if it resolves, is incorrect because of the tempo loss involved if it gets countered. This actually happened to me against Stryfo in the challenge, if anyone saw that on stream.
    I almost never want to see Aluren in my opening hand. Recruiter version is a different story of course.

I think this deck can be competitive in the current meta. I am not going to post a list, because it changes constantly, but if anyone is considering playing it in major tournament like a GP, let me know if you want me to help with that.
    do you stream? would be sweet if you did

Hi,

I have been on the White Aluren for a while and I tried the BUG version again. Here is the decklist, which I think seems fine - I fight in Prague, where the meta is very strong on value decks (mainly Czech Piles obviously) and control stuff. Combos are only few. I felt very good with it, though I do not personally like the style of this version.

I copied and little edited this version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyU6SDqVh1Y&t=11s

Main Deck (60)

4 Deathrite Shaman
    2 Coiling Oracle
    4 Baleful Strix
    4 Cavern Harpy
    2 Leovold, Emissary of Trest
    2 Parasitic Strix
    4 Shardless Agent

3 Ponder
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Abrupt Decay
    4 Aluren
    4 Force of Will

1 Bayou
    1 Island
    1 Swamp
    2 Forest
    2 Tropical Island
    2 Underground Sea
    2 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Misty Rainforest
    4 Polluted Delta

Sideboard (15)
    1 Fatal Push
    2 Duress
    2 Surgical Extraction
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Sylvan Library
    2 Diabolic Edict
    2 Golgari Charm
    1 Garruk Relentless
    2 Mindbreak Trap
    1 Gurmag Angler

- It often winned only by value, no combo. But still, I think 4 Aluren is a good choice, it is very useful and against some decks it is just a blast.
    - I very like Coiling Oracle which goes around Leovold and gives you an extra land (with Ponder or Brainstorm, it is very easy to set it up).
    - In sideboard I played 2 Carpets of Flowers but it reacts very poorly with Leovold (it gives opponent an extra card every turn, our judge oficialy checked it and it seems so :-(, so I put it away, even though it helped me to do real magic sometimes :-)
    - Gurmag Angler is a try against some Delvers or BUGr controls - maybe another suggestions in this spot? Jace?
    - I will give this a try, because I like the versatility of the deck.

I am happy that this deck is still living here :-) I play both online and paper, so I can try to give here more experiences.

I see many lists having 2 basic forests but I prefer to play just 1 because it's not the color I need the most.
    Having Aluren costs GG doesn"t require to play to play 2 forests I believe, correct ?
    Because even with wasteland in front of us, we can just get a dual with green (or mana from DRS) with our 1 forest to cast aluren...
    Any thoughts ?

After thinking about Aluren , I think Cartesian is rightm we should shift a bit more into Shardless BUG and Combo for value instead an mba only 1 piece of instant win.
    As he mentiones 2 Aluren could be the way, harpys are just nice, the can jump marit lage all day long and value soo much with shardless :)

And goyfs , I dont kinda like it, is the best beater for 2 mana :P I could see ooze here to but :)

But small jace hmm

I've not played the deck yet because on paper it's odd looking:
    I mean, only 4 force, and small dudes:
    How do you win without the combo out? How do you stop other Combo?

Should pick up the deck and try I guess, but it seems so "random" without tourach/only 4 removal and 4 protections...

Quote Originally Posted by Moneymakermich View Post
    I see many lists having 2 basic forests but I prefer to play just 1 because it's not the color I need the most.
    Having Aluren costs GG doesn"t require to play to play 2 forests I believe, correct ?
    Because even with wasteland in front of us, we can just get a dual with green (or mana from DRS) with our 1 forest to cast aluren...
    Any thoughts ?
    I agree, you only need the 1 Forest. The only exception is if you play a version with Veteran Explorer.

I am having second thoughts about Tarmogoyf as well - it does come as a surprise and wins some games. But I have been seeing an increased use of Rest in Piece online, and I don't really like to be in a spot where I care too much about that card - I'd much rather just ignore it.

NegatorITA:
    Yes, it is odd looking, but what you will find is that the card advantage of the Shardless Agent / Cavern Harpy engine is real. Combined with Leovold, and the constant threat of Aluren that the opponent has to play around, this is able to grind out any fair deck, including other decks that specialize in grinding out other fair decks.
    As for combo decks, the fastest combo decks in the format (Belcher, and similar) lose to a single Force of Will from your opening hand, and doesn't care very much about anything else you might have. This has been my way of approaching combo maindeck, plus I rather enjoy the challenge of beating ANT with very little disruption maindeck. (It is not impossible)

With all that said, I am currently testing a version with 2 maindeck Duress, and so far I really like them.

I agree, you only need the 1 Forest. The only exception is if you play a version with Veteran Explorer.

I am having second thoughts about Tarmogoyf as well - it does come as a surprise and wins some games. But I have been seeing an increased use of Rest in Piece online, and I don't really like to be in a spot where I care too much about that card - I'd much rather just ignore it.

NegatorITA:
    Yes, it is odd looking, but what you will find is that the card advantage of the Shardless Agent / Cavern Harpy engine is real. Combined with Leovold, and the constant threat of Aluren that the opponent has to play around, this is able to grind out any fair deck, including other decks that specialize in grinding out other fair decks.
    As for combo decks, the fastest combo decks in the format (Belcher, and similar) lose to a single Force of Will from your opening hand, and doesn't care very much about anything else you might have. This has been my way of approaching combo maindeck, plus I rather enjoy the challenge of beating ANT with very little disruption maindeck. (It is not impossible)

With all that said, I am currently testing a version with 2 maindeck Duress, and so far I really like them.
    That's it, I guess I will give the deck a try, like the duress idea, I saw done jpn user slams hymn maindeck but seems heavy on the mana.
    Will see some list around and stay from there.
    The table of the guilds I see no some sideboard is used for beating burn specifically? Seems very narrow

It is kind of narrow, yes. It is not specifically for burn but for any matchup where you are likely to be at a low life total when trying to combo. It is 2cc and can be found with Shardless, which is important and something you don't have maindeck. You don't need Tablet if your list has Glint-Nest Crane in it.
    When not comboing, Tablet is still useful for gaining life (and time) against many aggro decks, such as Eldrazi stompy.

Hey Man, I'm thinking to bring aluren to the Eternal weekend in paris this april, and I want consider with you some slots and direction of the deck

Actually I'm playing your version of your 6-1 in the challenge (the value version with goyfs) but with the difference of -1 jace, vryns prodigy for +1 scavenging ooze and I'm pretty happy with the change...thinking also to cut the third aluren and go with 2 and add some disruption like duress or thoughtseize in that slots

But also I'm having some succes with the combo version, I also took your list from the past challenge (4-3) but with the difference of -1 jace +1 glint nest
    The point it is that I feel more confortable with the value version, do you have any update from this list or suggestion for a GP meta? , also interested in your thoughts about my modifications (ooze and glint nest)

Thanks for all

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Deck made top 8 in a recent 1K locally. I can try and scare up a list if any of you are interested.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Deck made top 8 in a recent 1K locally. I can try and scare up a list if any of you are interested.
    Sure, thanks ;-)

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

They finally posted it on mtgtop8.com. Pretty cool list, he's an acquaintance of mine and he's been working with the deck for well over a year.

http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=18562&d=315578&f=LE
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Does anyone have a stock recruiter list? Looking to test this deck abit (Possibly for SCG Baltimore or SCGCON). Also with Imperial recruiter getting a reprint, I dont mind if its red or white.

Quote Originally Posted by ThisIsNilla View Post
    Does anyone have a stock recruiter list? Looking to test this deck abit (Possibly for SCG Baltimore or SCGCON). Also with Imperial recruiter getting a reprint, I dont mind if its red or white.
    Hi,

I have been playing this list for a while and it gave me some results. Maybe it helps.

4 Deathrite Shaman
    1 Arctic Merfolk
    4 Baleful Strix
    1 Cavern Harpy
    1 Eternal Witness
    1 Parasitic Strix
    4 Recruiter of the Guard
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Cabal Therapy
    2 Thoughtseize
    4 Aluren
    2 Leovold, Emissary of Trest
    1 Quickling
    1 Birds of Paradise
    3 Abrupt Decay
    2 Sylvan Library
    1 Academy Rector

1 Bayou
    2 Forest
    1 Island
    4 Misty Rainforest
    2 Polluted Delta
    1 Savannah
    1 Swamp
    2 Tropical Island
    1 Underground Sea
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Scrubland

SB: 1 Toxic Deluge
    SB: 1 Faerie Macabre
    SB: 2 Diabolic Edict
    SB: 1 Orzhov Pontiff
    SB: 2 Fatal Push
    SB: 1 Leyline of the Void
    SB: 1 Garruk Relentless
    SB: 1 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    SB: 1 Containment Priest
    SB: 1 Scavenging Ooze
    SB: 1 Reclamation Sage
    SB: 2 Duress

With the reprint of Imperial Recruiter I am working on the red list right now.

Super Secret Tech "Ooh...shiny!"
    Jul 2010
    Edinboro, PA

Quote Originally Posted by ThisIsNilla View Post
    It's not really stock, but I've done well with this list with a few tweaks here and there dependent on expected meta. I haven't played it in a couple months though as I'm taking a bit of a break to play some Imperial Taxes.

Main: 61
    4 Brainstorm
    2 Dream Stalker
    1 Parasitic Strix
    4 Cabal Therapy
    2 Duress
    1 Mesmeric Fiend
    1 Minister of Pain
    4 Imperial Recruiter
    4 Aluren
    1 Reclamation Sage
    2 Sylvan Library
    2 Abrupt Decay
    2 Baleful Strix
    1 Cavern Harpy
    3 Coiling Oracle
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    3 Leovold, Emissary of Trest
    4 Misty Rainforest
    2 Polluted Delta
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Bayou
    1 Taiga
    2 Tropical Island
    2 Underground Sea
    1 Island
    1 Swamp
    2 Forest

Side: 15
    2 Duress
    1 Minister of Pain
    2 Yixlid Jailer
    2 Scavenging Ooze
    2 Abrupt Decay
    2 Baleful Strix
    2 Null Rod
    2 Tsabo’s Web
    Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    Can't understand wanting the new new border if you have a choice, for any reason. You have to be a casual or have rickets.
    Cockatrice: EMFry

anyone ever try simic charm? instead of gilded drake to deal with like a marit lage or even to protect your own permanents? instant speed when you dont have aluren out vs drake without aluren

Thread Information