Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: M14 - Slivers - Possible Sliver Queen Reprint - Reserved List?

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Re: M14 - Slivers - Possible Sliver Queen Reprint - Reserved List?

Quote Originally Posted by Mewens View Post
    I actually read it as an experiment: "Can we dial back on protection?"

Protection's easily the most complicated rule new players will run into; it's got 5 moving parts and none of them is intuitive. A quick ctl+F shows that only 1 card from the 171 spoiled on Sally has "protection" on it, and it's an instant (Brave the Elements).
    I read it like that too. It reminds me of the Wrath > Day of Judgement change; where they had to alter the staple "destroy all creatures" effect so that regeneration actually mattered. Thing about that is, though, protection is not actually difficult to understand. At least, I didn't think so as a newb, especially once the "DEBT" mnemonic was explained to me as a way of remembering what protection actually implies. The only thing that used to fuck me up was not understanding why Wrath of God killed things with protection from white, but I got over it. There has to be *some* learning curve, right?

The stupid thing about that is that protection is one of White's hallmarks; it needs to exist because otherwise most of White's little creatures are incredibly difficult to redeem. So if they really are looking at ways to simplify or phase out protection, well, that's bad and stupid. Especially after all that pissing and moaning about how Black has an identity crisis -- oh but we can't possibly just *give* them the things that they used to be good at, like tutors and shit. That would be bad. No, we have to reimagine Black on the back of shitty creatures with abilities and shit, and therein lies the problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

The face of the set, guys and gals.

I am just blown away. What an amazing, super-powerful card. Red always gets such buh-roken walkers, huh?

At least the art is really nice!

Best Chandra yet!

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by Aggro_zombies View Post
    Best Chandra yet!
    That's like saying "This pile of shit stinks a little bit less!".

She fails the self-protection test (pinging is hardly relevant) and I can't believe that they still managed to slap some random into her ultimate. At least her second ability is nice (especially with SDT) and doesn't work well with counters.

Trop -> Nacatl Pass
    Dec 2003
    SUNY Geneseo

4Brainstorm,3 Sensei's Divining Top into U/R Sneak Attack? Seems nasty,Emrakul, the aeons torn for free please? Griselbrand?

Jan 2006
    Boulder, CO

Quote Originally Posted by troopatroop View Post
    4Brainstorm,3 Sensei's Divining Top into U/R Sneak Attack? Seems nasty,Emrakul, the aeons torn for free please? Griselbrand?
    Sorry, you still have to pay for it.

... holy god it's bad. And it's like they are trying to trick us into not realizing that the +0 ability is just a much worse version of "+0: Draw a card."
    Last edited by Wanderlust; 07-01-2013 at 04:23 AM.

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

It's essentially a draw a card, discard it if you don't cast it this turn. Nowhere as good as Jace 0, but i can get behind that since Jace is blue and all that. The +1 is pretty meh, but it could've been worse, and pinging for 1 while not really good for protection can still do some work. Will see Standard play, not sure about Legacy and Modern. At 3 it would've been played for sure in legacy. 4 is just a pretty bad combination in non-control, non-accellerating color.

The +1 in Legacy kill:

- Dark confidant
    - Noble Hierarch, Any elf
    - Dryad Arbor
    - Unflipped Delver

Almost but no cigar:

-DRS zzz

While making any creature barring progenitus unable to block (relevant for germ tokens). I think people are underestimating the +1 there. Even while it doesn't kill a creature, it can read as a +1+1 and unblockable to target creature. I think i will be trying this card, even if i still find it hilarious that they really can't print a good red card, it's like they have some sort of mental block.

Should really have been:

Chandra, the GOOD pyromancer 1RR
    +1 : 1 damage to target creature, that creature can't block until EoT
    0: same
    -7: same
    Loyalty: 3

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by Gheizen64 View Post
    Chandra, the GOOD pyromancer 1RR
    +1 : 1 damage to target creature, that creature can't block until EoT
    0: same
    -7: same
    Loyalty: 3
    She needs to ping the players, though, otherwise she would be dead against creatureless decks.

It still sucks that she has no self-protection.

Imho, it should have been:

"That creature can't attack, block or use activated abilities until your next turn.

While that is rather white, why not colorshift it a bit? It could be flavorful if she burns them so hard that the creature can't do anything because it's trapped in a ring of fire?

Edit: Where would she be good anyway? Jund due running less topdeck crap due the Bloodbraid Elf and Sylvan Library? But the 4cc slots seems already clogged due to BBE.

Storm Trooper
    Jun 2012
    Bremen, Germany

Wow Chandra is really bad. At first i was like "YEAH" on her +0, but then i realized the part "without paying it's mana cost" is missing. Bummer.

Edit: What i also realized: The M14 rules change make her even worse. If you +0 a land, you can't play it if you laid a land before...

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    She needs to ping the players, though, otherwise she would be dead against creatureless decks.

It still sucks that she has no self-protection.

Imho, it should have been:

"That creature can't attack, block or use activated abilities until your next turn.

While that is rather white, why not colorshift it a bit? It could be flavorful if she burns them so hard that the creature can't do anything because it's trapped in a ring of fire?

Edit: Where would she be good anyway? Jund due running less topdeck crap due the Bloodbraid Elf and Sylvan Library? But the 4cc slots seems already clogged due to BBE.
    I was thinking an RB deck or something, but this doesn't cost 3R... Yeah BBE is probably a better drop, but BBE can be pretty irrilevant against fatasses, while this is pretty good against them. BBE is better against Jace, but this Chandra isn't bad against Jace neither since her +1 can keep him down on Loyalty while still giving you damage to creature + unblockability to smash him. If anything, this Chandra's pretty good against most planeswalkers giving you the ability to counter their ramp and give you unblockability to kill them for good if you need it.
    Costing 4 with such aggressive abilities is really a problem though. Should really, really have costed 3 with slightly worse stats or something.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

I hate the new red walker as much as I hate R&D for not knowing how to design the color pie these days. Take a glimpse at GP Miami top 16. How many Red cards in those deck don't read "deal damage?"
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Why does WotC don't have the balls to make her cost RRR, limiting the Decks able to play her and give her smarter abilities which aren't direct damage?

Why can't she generate flames at will being a Pyromaster and the +0 being basically "draw a Card" instead of "search your Library for a red Instant or sorcery Card and Exile it. You may play it this turn." In that regards to flavor? Why can't she manifest the fire in forms of 1/1 haste "Flamelings" but having a new iteration of "Ping" on every printing?

For gods sake, WotC should at least have molten the Last 2 4cc Chandras together (the cardadvantage here and the copy effect of the firebraid) and create one decent 4cc red walker ... maybe even with 4 abilities so MaRo still gets his "Ping" but the Pyromaster as it is offers nothing new or fresh. Seems that WotC is unwillig to evolve their Basic 5 walkers
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Two Explores.
    Apr 2010

Wow cool, an updated version of Elkin Bottle! Which could be enough to make her Standard playable at least ;)
    Humphrey is always correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    I hate the new red walker as much as I hate R&D for not knowing how to design the color pie these days. Take a glimpse at GP Miami top 16. How many Red cards in those deck don't read "deal damage?"
    How many Legacy-playable red cards are there that aren't Goblins or cards that read "deal damage"? Sneak Attack, BBE and the 'blasts?

Win or lose, it begins with...
    Mar 2007
    Milwaukee, WI

Every ability Chandra has is completely useless. What a waste.

shallow
    Aug 2010
    denver, co

How many Legacy-playable red cards are there that aren't Goblins or cards that read "deal damage"? Sneak Attack, BBE and the 'blasts?
    Goblin Welder (i don't really count him as a goblin), Imperial Recruiter... I can't think of much else though.
    Find me on Twitter: @beanaman

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    His graveyard was a fucking encyclopedia of countermagic.

It's not easy being green

Jul 2010

Past in Flames, Rite of Flame, Ancient Grudge, Shattering Spree, Empty the Warrens, Grapeshot* :P

*the actual text on this card is "Kill hatebear or showboat".
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear
    (On Innistrad)
    Yeah, an insanely powerful block which put the "derp!" factor in Legacy completely over the top.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
    Past in Flames, Rite of Flame, Ancient Grudge, Shattering Spree, Empty the Warrens, Grapeshot* :P

*the actual text on this card is "Kill hatebear or showboat".
    Grapeshot usually kills more peeps than Chuck Norris in Expandables 2.
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Rite of Flames, Empty the Warrens (ok, arguably a Goblin card), Seething Song, Desperate Ritual, Burning Wish, Blood Moon, Magus of the Moon.

Two of these are even banned in Modern for being "too damn good!", along with BBE. So, what gives WotC? Can't design your way out of a paper bag at this point.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Thread Information