Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: M14 - Slivers - Possible Sliver Queen Reprint - Reserved List?

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Re: M14 - Slivers - Possible Sliver Queen Reprint - Reserved List?

Maybe we get a (cheap) green hexproof Sliver?

..sry, whut? ◔̯◔
    Jan 2008
    Germany

RIP Slivers
    Once you were iconic.

But Wizards buried the tribe when they printed the Premiumdeck without the Queen.

On these days I ask me, why Im still playing magic. This game lost almost all of its flavor it had when I started.
    Last edited by Humphrey; 05-07-2013 at 06:47 PM.
    Got tired of Legacy and you like drafts? Try my Paupercube What?

Blub.
    Oct 2010
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Humphrey View Post
    RIP Slivers
    Once you were iconic.

But Wizards buried the tribe when they printed the Premiumdeck without the Queen.

On these days I ask me, why Im still playing magic. This game lost almost all of its flavor it has when I started.
    ^this and this quote from salvation:

"All are abysmal, but seeing art of whites as the first ones and then reading a creature type was a pure shock for me - some random photo of broccoli would match the sliver identity better."

I loved Slivers. With sixteen i sold out my casual cards (only to start playing legacy with 18) and the only cards i didn't sell were Silver Queen and Silver Overlord. And now they look like Predators, Phyrexians or whatever. This is so bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Einherjer View Post
    Are you guys fucking serious? Like really?

Jan 2013
    Ithaca, NY

Soon enough, we will be naming slivers with our engineered plagues....

I hate the bullshit evolution explanation. This is leftover art, save for Blur Sliver. That's how they should have evolved.

This looks like evolution while maintaining the defining characteristics of Slivers:

It is worth noting that Wizards has been shitting on the story for a while now:

- The Mirrans still existing at all was a break from canon: at the end of the Fifth Dawn story, they were all returned to their home planes. This was partially retconned out of existence.

- The glistening oil was Phyrexian blood, not originally a weapon. That part was basically made up after the fact by stitching together a scene at the beginning of the Mirrodin trilogy and horseshit.

- The guilds stopped existing as fully functional entities between the two Ravnica blocks, as seen in that one Jace novel. The fact that the guilds were back, fully formed, was never satisfactorily explained as far as I know.

- The Selesnyan maze runner was such a train wreck in part because of Doug Beyer's insistence that all runners be rare.

Doug has a history of being a hated - or at least controversial - figure over on the MTGS storyline boards, in part for his hack work as a column writer on the Mothership and in part for his hack work as a writer of MtG novels. I agree that the new look for slivers is pretty uniformly awful and there probably isn't any reason to actually make them slivers aside from the desire to cash in on sliver's fame, but it's not totally inexplicable for them to change the look or anything.

I mean, I do agree that Time Spiral slivers were kind of stretching it in terms of, "How can we make these things sliver-y but visually distinct enough from each other that they don't all look like the same creature?". I just don't like the decision to make them Predator ripoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggro_zombies View Post
    - The Selesnyan maze runner was such a train wreck in part because of Doug Beyer's insistence that all runners be rare.
    I have no problem with them all being rare, it's a cycle and I think cycles should stick with the same rarity (having some maze runners be mythic and some be a regular rare seems off). I think the real problem is that there had to be much better ways of solving the problem than the one they chose.

What's most confusing to me is that slivers are Wizards' only really successful in-house tribe. (The only really successful one I can think of, anyway.)
    Kavu? Not popular. Nantuko? Not popular. Vedalken? Kinda despised. Kithkin? Meh.

You'd think that, with their track record, they'd stick to the tried-and-true, but no: gotta make 'em humanoid so the new players can grok 'em. (Utterly baffling; new players haven't had a hard time understanding one-claw beak monsters for, what, 15 years?)
    The proper plural must be "hall of fames." You wouldn't say Halls & Oate, now, would you?

And given the fact that Brady Dommermuth was let go after his position was eliminated due to corporate restructuring...I'm guessing we'll see even less attention paid to the storyline and more to "world-building" (a.k.a. the "horror" world, the "Greek" world, the "Japanese movie monster" world, etc.) and shoehorning in of flavor elements that tested well with the focus groups. Like lots of angels, dragons, and vampires. And mockingjays. And Predators. And Marvel's The Avengers™. And Cinnamon Toast Crunch. And shirtless Terry Crews hawking OLD SPICE.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    I think the real problem is that there had to be much better ways of solving the problem than the one they chose.
    Emmara could have easily been a 2/2 for WG and been completely fair (dies to practically every damage-based sweeper; dies to all other sweepers) and a lot more interesting (a token lord that isn't 7CMC). How they screwed this one up so bad...I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamaican Zombie Legend
    Emmara could have easily been a 2/2 for WG and been completely fair (dies to practically every damage-based sweeper; dies to all other sweepers) and a lot more interesting (a token lord that isn't 7CMC). How they screwed this one up so bad...I don't know.
    Anyone else reminded a little bit of Legends? A few great ideas, some good ones, a lot of rehashed ideas and a good dose of, "We can't do this ability at 2 cmc ... let's make it 7 cmc and give the duder a big power and backend to make up for it."

Even some meta cards that make no sense in the abstract, like Torpor Orb and Grafdigger's Cage. Why create organic solutions to problems when you can just print boring, narrow hate?
    The proper plural must be "hall of fames." You wouldn't say Halls & Oate, now, would you?

Quote Originally Posted by Jamaican Zombie Legend View Post
    I don't think Emmara as a 2/2 for WG with her ability would be fair. There's enough token creators in Standard--most notably the powerhouse that is Lingering Souls--that I think preventing all damage to them for just 2 mana is pretty over the top. Being able to chump block with spirits forever is pretty annoying. Not to mention the frustration it could easily create in Limited, where the sweepers you allude to aren't that common. So if you're going to have an ability like that, I think it's pretty reasonable to have it high costed, and if it's high costed, the creature should really be a reasonably strong one.

But if that was the reason, they could've just weakened the ability, e.g. have sources deal 1 less damage to tokens. That's still pretty decent for a token deck, but far less abusable and thus you really could put it on a pretty cheap creature with lower power/toughness than 5/7. It'd be far more playable and flavorful than what we got.

Though I suppose the issues with Emmara have rehashed enough times. I just really don't think blaming the idea that the Maze Runners should all be Rare is something you can really target as the reason for the issue with Emmara.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamaican Zombie Legend View Post
    http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post...happy-that-you

Pretty much every member of R&D I've seen on twitter has admitted they screwed up with Emmara in DGM, among other screwups.

And I'm generally OK with pretending the core set doesn't exist. They've done worse things in the core set than questionable slivers.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

I for one don't welcome our new retarded sliver overlords.

Like lots of angels, dragons, and vampires. And mockingjays. And Predators. And Marvel's The Avengers™. And Cinnamon Toast Crunch. And shirtless Terry Crews hawking OLD SPICE.
    Looking forward to this.

"Why is this Sliver ...a dude ... with dreadlocks?"

"KIDS LOVE PREDATOR, DUDE!"
    Nowhere do you see: Efficient Answers to Other Cards. Force and MMS will never be banned. Deal.
    Bardo, Site Admin

<3 Merfolk
    Mar 2006
    Hannover, Germany

I see no Slivers!

Perhaps we should inform 20th Century Fox that their "Predator" intellectual property is used without permission, a single mail from a lawyer seem to always drive Hasbro into total mindless panic and they will force WotC to stop that immediatly. Or maybe we should just write to Hasbro and tell them that WotC R&D uses Predators in M14, in the past a one in a billion chance for a lawsuit was always enough to get Hasbro to act in a ruthless over-the-top way.
    Falling from heaven is not as painful as surviving the impact.

Nostalgia ruined.
    Hill Giant means business.

Judgy Curmudgeon
    Feb 2006

Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post
    Pretty much every member of R&D I've seen on twitter has admitted they screwed up with Emmara in DGM, among other screwups.
    No, no, no! They just can't publicly admit they snuck a POWERHOUSE card for Momir Basic past everyone in QC. Avoid a Phage drop, make your team so strong, and SHE MAKES HERSELF AWESOME!

Its format breaking man...
    Check out my Legacy UBTezz Primer. Chalice of the Void: Keeping Magic Fair.
    -----
    Playing since '96. Brief forced break '02-04. Former/Idle Judge since '05. Told Smmenen to play faster at Vintage Worlds.
    -----
    Most of the 'Ban brainstorm!' arguments are based on the logic that 'more different cards should get played in Legacy', as though the success or health of the format can be measured by the portion of cards that are available and see play. This is an idiotic metric.

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Irie Sliver?

Lordhavemercy
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

No one gives a shit about the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    Irie Sliver?

Lordhavemercy

Sliver Apologist
    2W
    Rare
    Creature
    Sliver
    All sliver creatures and all sliver cards that aren't on the battlefield are humans.
    2/2

Meh. They shouldn't have put them in a core set. Now they're doomed to evergreen keywords and +X/+Y bonuses.

On an unrelated note, I can't wait to hear from someone at WotC how dreadlock-haired humanoids and split-tailed snakes with a single clawed appendage belong to the same species.

Thread Information