Thread: UG Vengevine

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

UG Vengevine

I was thinking of ways to make Vengevine good in this current format. My thoughts were something with Intuitions, and maybe Shardless Agents to cascade into other creatures to trigger the VVives. Like a UG MidRange deck of some kind. I haven't really been able to think of much other than something like:

4x Noble Hierarch
    4x VVine
    3-4x Intuition
    4x Goyf
    4x Shardless Agent
    4x BS
    3-4x Force of Will

Would this sort of strategy be viable? Also is Wild Mongrel still playable? Not sure if Wild Mongrel + Basking Rootwalla is overly powerful at the moment. And one last question, Is Fuana Shaman probably too slow?
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Apr 2013
    Kempten, Germany

Re: UG Vengevine

I dont think that a UG Vengevine Deck would be good because of cards like, Deathrite Shaman, Ooze and after boarding things like RIP, Extraction...
    Shardless Agent would be too unconsistent to reveal a creature because of your blue Spells in the deck...

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Manipulato View Post
    I dont think that a UG Vengevine Deck would be good because of cards like, Deathrite Shaman, Ooze and after boarding things like RIP, Extraction...
    Shardless Agent would be too unconsistent to reveal a creature because of your blue Spells in the deck...
    I mean you design your deck so that shardless only hits dudes. Other than BS. I feel like BS is good enough I'm willing to run that risk
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Tap 2, Standstill. Good?
    Jul 2010
    Somewhere in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by DragoFireheart View Post
    Nah, you're wrong.Vengevine Elves just won the 148 players trial at BOM.
    Vengevine is (and it was before this 1st place) clearly a decent side plan for elves.

Anyway, UG is inferior to monoG. The best tool for VVines is Fauna Shaman, considering that Pierce is played by everybody now while Snare it's not...ok is a creature subject to spot removal but considering you are on elves you are more than happy if they Stp your Shaman. With all the untappers you have in Elves Shaman is basically as fast as Intuition, with the upsidess that has a body, you can tutor for it with GSZ,is an elf.
    Are you into Jazz? Have a look at the Lp's I have for sale on Discogs!

Quote Originally Posted by kiblast View Post
    Vengevine is (and it was before this 1st place) clearly a decent side plan for elves.
    And that's all it will amount to: a side plan.

Sep 2007
    Roseville, MN

I feel like intuition is one of those cards that always starts out in very ambitious decklists but never ends up making the cut in the long run. It's very risky because it's a 3 mana tutor, and it opens up a huge graveyard liability.

If the only other instant that you're paying mana for is brainstorm, then casting intuition at the end of turn doesn't actually give you any advantage. It might as well be a sorcery. If this deck wanted to hold up counterspell, spot removal, or perhaps even sensei's divining top, then you could actually get value from intuition at instant speed.

It just feels like it is a "big risk, big reward" card. I don't think that vengevine is strong enough on its own to justify intuition. The recent goblin welder decks haven't even been using intuition. Currently, the only decks using intuition are insanely fast combo decks or very slow and methodical control decks.

I could perhaps see intuition being used to better effect if you made the deck faster and more like a combo deck. You could use ancient tomb, city of traitors, chrome mox, lotus petal, and more one drops to trigger the vengevines.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

The only issue with that is that you become more of a bad combo deck. Like If that is the plan then it just seems like a waste of time.

Deathrite Shaman
    Rest in Peace
    Surgical Extraction

How about No?

If anything, try Modern.

Thread Information