Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SCD] Blood Scrivener

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

[SCD] Blood Scrivener

What deck or archetype can this card be used in and why? I see this card being used in a very aggro heavy deck with little to no control elements. Creatures like Gatekeeper and shriek maw that double as creature kill so you dont have to hold them in your hand if you dont have targets. Possibly something with phyrexian obliterator or abyssal persecutor. Id imagine he works well with liliana of the veil as well.

This may be able to be used in a burn deck in conjunction with dark confidant.

How does this card fulfill the role of another card in an existing archetype more effectively than the card it would replace? I dont think he really replaces dark confidant because its conditional and can be turned on / off. It presents drawbacks and benefits. he begs to be played in a hellbent deck or an all in strategy possibly with red.

Is this card going to jump in price? right now its pretty cheap
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Apr 2009
    Sweden, Trelleborg

Re: [SCD] Blood Scrivener

Its effect is pretty unique and the mana cost is cheap. Can even get effect the same turn it is put into play and also many times on each turn. A burn deck would not be able to take full advantech of blood scrivener. I am trying him out in a deadguy shell with tops and lilianas. With top you get to use the ability on the same turn it enters the battlefield when hellbent, if you would have 2 tops then you go crazy with them. Drawing as close to ancestral recall every turn.

Other drawing effects Im looking into are Horizon Canopy, Barren Moor and Gitaxian Probe.

Other possibilities are combo decks where you keep cantriping and fastmana spells until you play enought spells and tendrills away.

Scrivener, Zombie Infestation and Beck would make a loop that makes zombie 2/2s.

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Bg or Bgw aggro with confident / scrivener / liliana / troll / KotR / zombie infestation to discard my whole hand quickly and profit :)
    I guess i'd loose hard :) but that would be funny...

Hey that's a modern deck also... !!

4x thoughtseize
    4x Lotlhe troll
    4x Blood scrivener
    4x Dark confident
    4x Zombie infestation
    4x Tarmogoyf
    4x Abrupt decay
    4x Knight of the reliquary
    4x Liliana of the veil

Seems crappy :p

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

SDT is probably the way to go since you can get up to two extra cards for a minimal investment.

Assuming you have 2 SDT and a discard outlet, you can go crazy as long as you have mana.

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Blood Scrivener is certainly an interesting creature, and a rather good one, but I believe he has less application than it would initially seem. Even in the most inefficient of decks, he rarely pops naturally. You have to force yourself to zero cards. Liliana would seem like the natural pick, but even then you're relying on Liliana surviving. Which, if she does, you're probably in a good spot regardless of the synergy. Another option is a forced discard of your hand into effectively topdeck mode. For example: Zombie Infestation. It's a rather neat idea and admittedly one I hadn't thought of, but it still falls prey to the same problem as every other generic hellbent. One well timed StP or Bolt or Abrupt Decay takes the biggest shit in your Cornflakes.

The best use I've found so far for Blood Scrivener is the interesting synergy of him with Dangerous Wager. It makes Standstill look like trash. Though I've only gotten this to really work well in Modern/Standard.

A black/green Vengevine madness sort of build could use him fairly reasonably. You'd have Liliana and Mongrel and whatnot for discard outlets, Rootwallas, Vengevine, BGH, Fauna Shamans, etc. Maybe just jam one in to slow roll other dude-swarm decks?

He seems like a good fit for Dredge, since they have reasonable numbers of discard outlets, but two mana and really only being great long-term doesn't seem like a natural fit.

Rb burn would be a good home, but using DC and Scrivener instead of things like Goblin Guide and whatnot seems like it would slow burn down too much.

There's gotta be a fragile combo deck that can use him. Scrivener turns Cantrips into absurd things, Cadaverous Bloom could keep the mana rolling to keep cantripping, etc. It would be tricky filtering it all into U mana or finding enough cheap stuff in Black/Green to do it, but I'm sure you could.

hai 2 u
    Apr 2007
    SoCal - Anaheim

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    SDT is probably the way to go since you can get up to two extra cards for a minimal investment.

Assuming you have 2 SDT and a discard outlet, you can go crazy as long as you have mana.
    What's the play here? I'm confused how you would do this every turn.
    #mtgfinance follow on twitter: @mtgStaples

Quote Originally Posted by OBFREELY
    You should all immediately fire emails at the DCI requesting the banning of Tarmogoyf and Golgari Grave-Troll.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    I'm pretty sure I'm not compelled to address your non-argument based simply on the fact that you're obviously borderline retarded.
    Team Brown & Team Unicorn. Does that make me a Brown Unicorn?

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

I thought we already decided the tech was

Beck // Call
    Blood Scrivener
    Zombie Infestation

with singleton Flame-Kin Zealot and Dread Return.

Honestly, though, I'm not convinced that this thing is that big a deal. You still have to lose 1 life for each draw that it actually replaces - it's not optional. So whatever your 'combo' actually is, you have to achieve it within the allowance of your life total. And if you're just using it to replace or complement Dark Confidant, well, then you're not playing Bob, so :(

Maybe I'll give it a shot in my "stop laughing at my Caves of Koilos" BW Deadguy for the impoverished. But it only really works if you're topdecking, so meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by zulander View Post
    What's the play here? I'm confused how you would do this every turn.
    Get hand down to 0, draw with SDT --> 2 cards, play/discard stuff down to 0, activate your second SDT, draw extra card and replay SDT 1, rinse, repeat.

For what it's worth, Blood Scrivener also seems pretty silly with Baubles like Mishra's Bauble/Urza's Bauble. Throw in some Glissa, the Traitor for good measure and you have a CA engine.

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

For what it's worth, Blood Scrivener also seems pretty silly with Baubles like Mishra's Bauble/Urza's Bauble. Throw in some Glissa, the Traitor for good measure and you have a CA engine.
    All hinged around a fragile 2/1 pro-nothing.

hai 2 u
    Apr 2007
    SoCal - Anaheim

Get hand down to 0, draw with SDT --> 2 cards, play/discard stuff down to 0, activate your second SDT, draw extra card and replay SDT 1, rinse, repeat.

Oh I'm an idiot, I thought Scrivener only worked during your draw phase... smh.
    #mtgfinance follow on twitter: @mtgStaples

Quote Originally Posted by OBFREELY
    You should all immediately fire emails at the DCI requesting the banning of Tarmogoyf and Golgari Grave-Troll.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    I'm pretty sure I'm not compelled to address your non-argument based simply on the fact that you're obviously borderline retarded.
    Team Brown & Team Unicorn. Does that make me a Brown Unicorn?

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by apple713 View Post
    What deck or archetype can this card be used in and why? I see this card being used in a very aggro heavy deck with little to no control elements. Creatures like Gatekeeper and shriek maw that double as creature kill so you dont have to hold them in your hand if you dont have targets. Possibly something with phyrexian obliterator or abyssal persecutor. Id imagine he works well with liliana of the veil as well.

This may be able to be used in a burn deck in conjunction with dark confidant.

How does this card fulfill the role of another card in an existing archetype more effectively than the card it would replace? I dont think he really replaces dark confidant because its conditional and can be turned on / off. It presents drawbacks and benefits. he begs to be played in a hellbent deck or an all in strategy possibly with red.

Is this card going to jump in price? right now its pretty cheap
    Pox-less Pox, using only Smallpox and Liliana of the Veil.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

I think the hardest part about fitting this guy snugly into a deck will be the phrase "Why not just use Dark Confidant?" Any deck that uses this card at all must have strong synergistic ties with drawing cards outside if the draw step.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Sep 2004
    Raleigh, NC

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    I think the hardest part about fitting this guy snugly into a deck will be the phrase "Why not just use Dark Confidant?" Any deck that uses this card at all must have strong synergistic ties with drawing cards outside if the draw step.
    The big advantage of scrivener over bob, of course, is not hitting oneself in the face for 8 when playing tombstalker. The draw condition makes it really tough to profit from, but ideas like iamajellydonut's Dangerous Wager sure are interesting.

Apr 2009
    Sweden, Trelleborg

4 bobs are never enought! Everytime a mulligan happends you really hope you get the bob to stick to recoup the card disadvantech with bob and bloodbob its very much possible its even favored to mull to them. Bloodbob goes online faster when you are unfortunate to have to go down to 6, 5 or even 4 cards.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by Rizso View Post
    4 bobs are never enought! Everytime a mulligan happends you really hope you get the bob to stick to recoup the card disadvantech with bob and bloodbob its very much possible its even favored to mull to them. Bloodbob goes online faster when you are unfortunate to have to go down to 6, 5 or even 4 cards.
    May as well just play Grafted Skullcap then and get it over with. You don't even lose any life that way!

Apr 2009
    Sweden, Trelleborg

Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    May as well just play Grafted Skullcap then and get it over with. You don't even lose any life that way!
    4 Mana vs 2 mana is quite big diffrence.

Don't ping the hydra
    May 2007
    Spain

I would try it in Affinity.
    Please stop talking about whether Force of Will is broken or not. It obviously is, and rather than "the glue that holds vintage together" it would be better to call it "the rug under which you hide the filth until there's so much that you can no longer conceal it".

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by Rizso View Post
    4 Mana vs 2 mana is quite big diffrence.
    Well sure, but you talked about taking a 4 card hand like it was a good thing. Why would I ever mull to 4 to draw the 3 cards over three turns and pay 3 life for them to boot?

I mean I get that it rewards playing in Hellbent mode, but there are really precious few decks that want to get to that point. And those that do maybe don't want to have to cast a 2/1 and hope that it sticks long enough to matter a damn.

I will be trying some sort of zombie small pox deck
    I will try the following strat :
    Discard / simetrical discard (liliana smallpox) trying to get everyone in topdeck mode
    Cards that resist discard (in a way) gravecrawler / bloodghast / some madness cards
    Kill them with zombies

Maybe Splash red or blue for more draw or more reach

That is the plan but this has to be put to the test to sort out what works and what doesnt

Thread Information