Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you had to start from scratch?

If you had to start from scratch?

Hi all,

A friend of mine wants to get into legacy.
    I have a fairly limited amount of legacy staples myself, in that I only have 4 of any money card for the decks I play, so lending them is situational at best.

But all the same, he wants to get in and drop the cash.
    He is a longtime player (longer than me anyway!) who owns lots of multiplayer staples, but hasn't got too many of the money cards. He's willing to drop cash to get in on a fun-to-play competitive deck, provided it's a deck that isn't linear & boring. (like Burn)
    So;
    IF you were to start from scratch, looking for a deck that's highly enjoyable to play - which deck would you buy if budget wasn't your first consideration?
    And why?

Cheers.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Re: If you had to start from scratch?

Well I always say nic fit. But ive also become a big fan of the Hoogland Loam deck as well
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

It's an ugly pile of bones... like me.
    Sep 2004
    Albany

When I got back into Legacy like a year ago I built high tide. I think it was the right choice.

----
    It really depends on what type of deck your friend wants to make.

..sry, whut? ◔̯◔
    Jan 2008
    Germany

Actually this is more or less the question about our favorite deck..

Id chose either BladeControl or Canadian, because theyre both long time d2b. Or my fav deck, which is goblins.
    Got tired of Legacy and you like drafts? Try my Paupercube What?

I think the important question here is as well what kind of decks your buddy likes to play. For example, I bought into Legacy with Miracles, then shifted into Esperblade, and both of these decks are extremely enjoyable for me. Last two tournaments I swapped decks with my buddy who is on S&T and other one who was on Canadian and I was simply not having fun with the decks, despite them both being "blue", I just find them... boring.

Moral of the story? Even amongst the top tier decks that are fun to play, there are always those that fit your playstyle far more than others. So while the question What deck to recommend is valid, I believe it's better to narrow it down to deckstyle first.

And if you just want vote - Esperblade or BUG.

Fair enough - thanks for the suggestions fella's.

He's a big fan of decks with lots of interaction, lots of variables etc.
    Linear or predictable combo, like Show and Tell.deck is definitely not his thing.

Nic Fit and Esper Blade both sound like great suggestions.
    He has borrowed my semi-competitive goblin deck a few times, he likes that one too.
    Any others?

If I were to enter the format fresh, I'd probably start just like I did a few years ago. I started with Mono-black aggro, upgraded that to Eva Green, and now play Team America (along with other decks). Perhaps, I'd do burn -> UR delver -> Canned Thresh now instead since burn and UR are more competitive than MBA and Eva Green. But yeah, I'm a fan of low initial investments then building up. That way if you later find the deck you're building into doesn't suite your playstyle as well as you thought it would, it's not so devastating to start over.

Bob Ross
    Jun 2012
    Baltimore

Tell him to download cockatrice (woogerworks or whatever it is now) and play a bunch of different games with a bunch of different decks. He will learn pretty fast what decks he enjoys playing. From there it's all about ebaying and finding deals for the deck he decides on

I started with merfolk then branched out to thresh/ur delver/team america. There's plenty of viable delver and goyf decks currently in the meta.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Maverick is also another one to look into. Lots of lines of play and decisions to be made.
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Any Delver list is going to be a good choice.

Tell him to pick up GW-maverick. It contains no blue cards so the investment isn't extreme and the cards for it are basically quite cheap. The most expensive is the Savannah's and fetches and the rest is bought for pennies.

Goblins has always been around and Tier 2, that'd be safe investment. Otherwise RUG Delver or Maverick would be a wise start. He could always move to (X/)X/G Maverick as it has the starting basis for multiple deck types.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

I'd recommend ester blade / miracles cause it can morph into other deck with just a couple different cards. It provides a great base of cards.

Personally i play sneak attack cause its superior to the other decks. I like it a lot because after a long day at a scg or GP with 6+ rounds i dont feel like i just got mind raped like i do when i play esper blade or miracles. I also hate going to time.

If i had to do it over again, Id pick cards from the most played cards list in legacy, pm me if you want a list. THat is how I would build my collection. Everything in foils from the most played to the least played top 50 or so.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Quote Originally Posted by slave View Post
    Fair enough - thanks for the suggestions fella's.

He's a big fan of decks with lots of interaction, lots of variables etc.
    Linear or predictable combo, like Show and Tell.deck is definitely not his thing.

Nic Fit and Esper Blade both sound like great suggestions.
    He has borrowed my semi-competitive goblin deck a few times, he likes that one too.
    Any others?
    Stiflenought or RUG Delver.

bruizar

Death & Taxes

Jul 2010
    Madison, WI

+1 to Nic Fit. I've been stuck on the Scapewish version for months now and every game with the deck is a blast. There's all kinds of options - burning wish, GSZ, cabal therapy.

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

If everything fails, there's always Nourishing Lich. Dreaming of the day someone Day2's a GP with it! I'd gladly donate a Dual Land of choice to such a person. If we all team up, we could actually provide quite an incentive for people to try!
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by useL View Post
    Tell him to pick up GW-maverick. It contains no blue cards so the investment isn't extreme and the cards for it are basically quite cheap. The most expensive is the Savannah's and fetches and the rest is bought for pennies.
    Hell with maverick you could play with GW shocks at first and save yourself like 300 bucks and slowly get Savannah

I would say merfolk because all its relatively cheap and of the expensive cards you can use Force of Will, Wasteland and Daze in many other decks so only Mutavault and Aether Vial have not much different use.

Thread Information