Thread: [Deck] MonoU OmniTell

Mar 2013
    Bury, Manchester, England

Re: [DTB] MonoU OmniTell

Affinity isn't a good deck.

*The More You Know logo*
    Quote Originally Posted by useL View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by twndomn View Post
    If you pay me or give me some benefits, I might consider writing reports.
    Can I pay you for not posting in this thread?
    The conspiracy goes deeper than you might think.

Quote Originally Posted by Einherjer View Post
    That's.... that's not how deckbuilding works.

Learning Blue cards
    Nov 2012
    Beijing,China

Quote Originally Posted by kuroko16 View Post

This result is not surprising. Omnitell had abnormal poor results in the last few SCG IQs before this one. Few top16 apperance, and out-of-time builds(just like MD 3+ halls). This deck has its raw power, it won't always underperform, yeah?

However, Omnitell would be talked as "public enemy" by crowds in next weeks. More hate is coming...more REB,choke,canonist,Chris Pikula...what you expect to see?
    I hear they got twisters miles wide in the Midwest.

I hate discussing budget here, but what is the ideal sol land manabase? Can you get by on tombs/petals or are cities absolutely necessary?

Mar 2013
    Bury, Manchester, England

I play 1 Ancient Tomb and 2 Crystal Vein. It only really works because I'm playing Burning Wish, I think. If you have a high reliance on Cunning Wishing for things before you go off then it almost certainly isn't good enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by useL View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by twndomn View Post
    If you pay me or give me some benefits, I might consider writing reports.
    Can I pay you for not posting in this thread?
    The conspiracy goes deeper than you might think.

Quote Originally Posted by Einherjer View Post
    That's.... that's not how deckbuilding works.

Anyone able to offer advice on how to approach the Omnitell mirror?

Quote Originally Posted by laserstone View Post
    Not gonna pretend I'm an expert. However, this GP Kyoto Top 8 video pretty much answered your question.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwQVaz8Nr9U&t=1h21m52s

Sep 2014

Dream Halls is really good in the mirror.

Dream Halls is the key card.

Other great cards post-board:
    Defense Grid (prevents opponent from going for Instant Ants win off your SnT)

Surgical Extraction (if opponent is going the FF or Intuition route you can deny their plan)

Counters to FF / DtT / Ants / EtI / Emrakul

Edit:
    Running 2+ Emrakul for additional extra turns also helps. Ants can be foiled by an opposing Brainstorm.

Quote Originally Posted by Karhumies View Post
    Dream Halls is the key card.

Other great cards post-board:
    Defense Grid (prevents opponent from going for Instant Ants win off your SnT)

Surgical Extraction (if opponent is going the FF or Intuition route you can deny their plan)

Counters to FF / DtT / Ants / EtI / Emrakul

Edit:
    Running 2+ Emrakul for additional extra turns also helps. Ants can be foiled by an opposing Brainstorm.
    Dream halls is 1) not played in most lists 2) not good in the mirror. With a stock list I recommend patience and trying to resolve DTT protected with counterspells at the opponent's eot. Sometimes you can Gitaxian Probe and see that the coast is clear but that's not very common. If you want to improve the matchup you should not include Dream Halls but jace, vendilion clique, young pyromancer or thoughtseize or more fringe stuff I didn't test Including Notion theif, snapcaster mage or tasigur.

Defense grid can be good but it's application is far more narrow than anything. It's more likely your opponent will benefit more from this unless you can play it and go off in the same turn (and your opponent can't counter the show and tell).

Surgical extraction is not that great either. I would not side it in as it's a mulligan more than not. It could be wished for in the case of intuition but in most other cases I would rather have anything else.

Question for the Omni players here:

What is the most *effective* hate piece against this deck? What do you guys lose to more often than anything else?

Quote Originally Posted by Mackan View Post
    Dream halls is 1) not played in most lists 2) not good in the mirror. With a stock list I recommend patience and trying to resolve DTT protected with counterspells at the opponent's eot. Sometimes you can Gitaxian Probe and see that the coast is clear but that's not very common. If you want to improve the matchup you should not include Dream Halls but jace, vendilion clique, young pyromancer or thoughtseize or more fringe stuff I didn't test Including Notion theif, snapcaster mage or tasigur.

Defense grid can be good but it's application is far more narrow than anything. It's more likely your opponent will benefit more from this unless you can play it and go off in the same turn (and your opponent can't counter the show and tell).

Surgical extraction is not that great either. I would not side it in as it's a mulligan more than not. It could be wished for in the case of intuition but in most other cases I would rather have anything else.
    Dream Halls is outstanding in the mirror. Your side out all Show and Tells. You play the same (or more) instant-speed solutions than your opponent (making their SnT a crap shoot), but you can combo on your turn with extra relevant cards in your deck (Enter the Infinite). Further, because you play Dream Halls and kill this turn, you actually get to play Pact of Negation. This is a huge advantage with a Dream Halls looming because you'll have more resources once the Dream Hall is in play. I'd take a Dream Halls list over a non-Dream Halls list for the mirror any day.
    BZK! - Storm Boards

Been there, tried that, still casting Doomsday.
    Drawing my deck for 0 mana since 2013.

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

Quote Originally Posted by MGB View Post

What is the most *effective* hate piece against this deck? What do you guys lose to more often than anything else?
    Nothing specific.

Its a combination of discard and counters.

Thats the hardest thing to fight through.

Mar 2013
    Cologne, Germany

Surgical Extraction on a discarded/countered Show and Tell or Slaughter Games win against versions without Dream Halls.

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Baum View Post
    Surgical Extraction on a discarded/countered Show and Tell or Slaughter Games win against versions without Dream Halls.
    i forgot about that. Yes. That card is GG. The only good part is no one runs more than 2 copies.

explosive
    Feb 2006
    Germany - RLP

Iona, Shield of Emeria.
    Team SPOD
    <Der_imaginäre_Freund> props:
    Adan for being the NQG God (drawer)

Dec 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

For me, discard (liliana, Raven's crime, hymn)+ surgical extraction or extirpate. Without Dream Halls or another alternative way to combo it is lights out.
    Krosan grip on omniscience too can be a bane.

A lot of things you would otherwise think of (meddling Mage for instance) is just a hoop to jump through, not a problem as such unless you have a fast clock alongside it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dec 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

Quote Originally Posted by Adan View Post
    Iona, Shield of Emeria.
    That too. I am running a grixis build to have a chance against her (burning wish + black wishboard option) and discard/extirpate (burning wish for s&t). Never had the "chance" to face reanimator with that configuration though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Adan View Post
    Iona, Shield of Emeria.
    not that hard. We have slaughter pact

I think Thoughtseize + Hymn is the hardest thing for this deck to deal with. The deck is very good in the Asian and European metas but might struggle a bit in the US where a lot of players jam Deathrite and discard. Obviously the deck did fine at the most recent SCG 5k, but it's just a great deck... I still think I'd try to find SB room for 4 Leylines in the US.

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

I don't play Omni, but sandbagging a Ethersworn Canonist for Show and Tell with the ability to cast REB, Wear/Tear, etc. to destroy Omniscience after it gets cheated into play is a hardlock against over 95% of the Omniscience decks out there (barring shenanigans like hardcasting Omni or Emrakul).

Edit: they do have the ability to Show in Emrakul directly

Thread Information