Results 1,301 to 1,320 of 2748

Thread: [Deck] MonoU OmniTell

Re: [DTB] MonoU OmniTell

Quote Originally Posted by Karhumies View Post
    SB
    1 Surgical
    1-2 Grafdigger's Cage
    (2 Defense Grid)

Bring everything in including Surgical, you are wasting 3 mana and a C.Wish otherwise for a free spell.

Mulligan into Surgical, Cage or FoW. If we are on the play, also S.Pierce or Flusterstorm or 1 mana black discard is OK. Without Cage or Surgical in hand, counter their first Entomb.

D.Grid is questionable. It prevents them from using free counters if they land Griselbrand from our SnT but it also makes it difficult to counter their combo attempt, so I would not like to land a Grid before Probing them.

Basically, they are faster than us but we have more counters. That's why our plan g2&g3 is to foil their first attempt, then go off ourselves before they can attempt combo 2nd time. They don't want to SnT vs us so they are kinda screwed if we land a gy hate.

Beware of Tidespout Tyrant and Iona @ blue.
    Normally vs reanimator you want to stop their careful study/entomb but with with a show and tell deck atleast I prefer to fight over the animate dead/reanimate/exhume instead. They normally can't afford to both have a fatty in hand for your show and tell aswell as a target to reanimate in the graveyard. I recently cut Jace which was otherwise a nice card against them... now I have to work for it by going off with omnishow and perfect information (so no ashen rider/tidespout tyrant) + emrakul in hand to ignore Iona/griselbrand. It's an uphill battle for sure but with 3 fluster 3 thoughtseize 2 cage 4 fow you have enough tools to slow them down and grind them out with DTT. I think it's correct to side in a Boseiju in the matchup.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackan View Post
    Normally vs reanimator you want to stop their careful study/entomb but with with a show and tell deck atleast I prefer to fight over the animate dead/reanimate/exhume instead. ... with 3 fluster 3 thoughtseize 2 cage 4 fow you have enough tools to slow them down and grind them out with DTT. I think it's correct to side in a Boseiju in the matchup.
    If you are not running seize in the list, fast Gitaxian Probe + SnT can work. Try to save the Probe for the SnT turn if possible to make sure they don't hide stuff with Brainstorm or draw into fatties with non-instant cantrips.

If you do get the Cage (or very fast SnT) into hand, you can let their Entomb resolve, play the cage and/or fight over their animation spell. If they go for the Entomb, chances are they don't have a fattie in hand...but there is also the possibility they have a fat but they lack a discard outlet.

Despite all this, Tin Fins can occasionally have very explosive openings with D.Rit, Entomb, Shallow Grave which are difficult to compete against.

Hi, Im relatively new to the deck, but Im very much loving it. Last sunday I played it for the first time and did 7-0 at a local tournament (!!) with a pretty traditional list. My biggest doubts are on the sb anyway, so If someone can answer some of my questions or give me a hand I will appreciate it :)

Im playing the monoblue list. Although is has a little more trouble finding the combo pieces unnlike the UR/Grixis one, i think the ability to go off at instant speed with cunning wish/FF/Release the ants is AMAZING aggainst cards like Oblivion Ring, Ashen Rider, Qasali Pridemage, Vencer, etc.

Maindeck:
    6 Island
    4 Polluted Delta
    4 Flooded Strand
    2 Underground Sea
    1 City of Traitors
    2 Ancient tomb (thinking about switching both for crystal vein)
    1 Boseiju

4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Preordain
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Dig Through Time (wouldnt go under 4)
    1 Impulse

4 Force of Will
    2 Flusterstorm

4 Cunning Wish
    4 Show and Tell
    4 Omniscience
    1 Emrakul

SB:
    1 Iona (not really sure, but seems like a fine option to fasten up things aggainst some tough matches, like Elves, Burn, Reanimator or ANT)
    1 Release the Ants
    1 Fireminds Foresight
    1 Eladamris Call
    2 Massacre
    2 Defense Grid
    1 Noxious Revival (im guessing its good aggainst discard decks, right? and of course surgical extractoin and occasionaly reanimator/dredge/storm
    1 Surgical Extraction
    1 Echoing Truth
    1 Boseiju

Until this im pretty sure , but the doubts start here:
    1 Rushing River - Why? This deck doesnt really suffer from permanent-based hate, except for meddling mage or an ocasional ethersworn cannonist, both which can be answered with massacre/echoing truth
    1 Pact of Negaton - Do we ever side it in? Or its just for CW?
    1 Saphire Charm - Idem rushing river. Is really 2 massacre and 1 echoing truth too little for a deck full of cantrips?
    1 Swan Song - Seems like the only one that can really convince me here.
    1/2 Grafdiggers Cage - I figure its great vs reanimator, ant and elves, but im not sure what to cut for it.
    (Edit) Trickbind - Why do we ever want it in a monoU build? To spend a wish on it seems pointless since we can win at instant speed with Fireminds Foresight.

I dont think i want leylines anywere on the 75. Although they are great aggainst discard and storm, i think it takes too much space on the sb, and even then it has a random effect that can be terrible for us if we do not draw them on our starting hand. Besides, i think discard is not THAT good aggainst us, since we have brainstorm to protect our stuff, and dig through time to take advantage of it (and to save of from surgical extraction)

Ideas? Suggestions?
    Last edited by kkkant; 03-25-2015 at 09:15 AM.

Brisbane Legacy regular
    Jan 2009
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Took Ub OmniManiac to the local 4-rounder last night and went 4-0.

List:

5 Island
    1 Underground Sea
    4 Polluted Delta
    2 Misty Rainforest
    2 Flooded Strand
    2 Scalding Tarn
    1 Ancient Tomb
    3 City of Traitors

4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Preordain
    3 Dig Through Time

4 Show and Tell
    4 Omniscience
    4 Enter the Infinite
    3 Dream Halls
    3 Cunning Wish
    1 Intuition
    1 Trickbind

4 Force of Will
    3 Flusterstorm

Sideboard

1 Laboratory Maniac
    1 Research//Development
    1 Firemane's Foresight
    1 Trickbind
    1 Wipe Away
    1 Slaughter Pact
    1 Pact of Negation
    1 Dig Through Time
    1 Surgical Extraction
    1 Swamp
    2 Massacre
    2 Thoughtseize
    1 Duress

Round 1 v UB Reanimator. Win 2-1.

Game 1, I'm on the play, and he mulls to five. On his Turn 2 he plays Careful Study, discarding a Griselbrand, and on his Turn 3 he attempts to Reanimate it. I FoW, he FoWs back, and I use my second FoW. He then plays a second Reanimate, getting his Griselbrand. I go for it on my Turn 4, and he finds a Daze and Force off his draw 7. What a five carder!

Out: 3 Show and Tell. In: 2 Thoughtseize, 1 Duress.

Game 2, I'm again on the play, and he mulls to six. He makes a lot of land drops and because he's not drawn much action I'm able to disrupt him with Thoughtseize, Flusterstorm, and Force of Will before going off.

Game 3, I'm on the draw, and we both keep our seven card openers. On his Turn 2 he gets a Tidespout Tyrant in the yard and we fight over some Reanimation, but I lose. Tidespout enters, but the last card in hand isn't a spell he can use to bounce one of my two lands. The next turn, I ram a Show and Tell. He doesn't have Iona, and I have Omni and EtI for the win.

Round 2 v BUG Delver. Win 2-1.

Game 1, I'm on the draw, and he leads with a Delver of Secrets. Although it doesn't flip for a couple of turns it's joined by a Tarmogoyf and a Deathrite Shaman to assist it in putting my life total under threat. I shuffle away a Ponder I should have taken a chance with because it had a USea in it and he had a Wasteland on the Board. I don't find an enchantment to put in with my Show and Tell and scoop in the face of lethal damage.

No board.

Game 2, I'm on the play, and I open a strong hand with permission, which is only missing one part of the combo. I use cantrips to find that missing part plus some land to play around his soft counters. I go off through his Force of Will.

Game 3, I'm back on the draw, but again open a strong hand with permission only missing one combo piece. Again, I find it and use a Flusterstorm to play through his Force of Will.

Round 3 v Shardless BUG

Game 1, I'm on the draw and commence looking for my combo. He plays a Shardless Agent on his Turn 3 blind-flipping a Hymn to Tourach, followed by another Hymn to Tourach on Turn 4. He also has a Force of Will for my Brainstorm in response to the second Hymn, forcing me to deploy my own Force of Will in response to try and protect at least some part of my combo. However, I then draw land, land, Flusterstorm, Flusterstorm and die. I did have a Dig Through Time in there, but he ripped a Jace and fatesealed it away.

No board.

Game 2, I'm on the play, and he's on a slow hand with no Hymns, thankfully. I get enough mana to play around some soft counters, and run through his Force of Will. He's still got one card in hand with a mana open (I put him on Flusterstorm) and tries to counter my Enter the Infinite when I only have two mana open by putting Flusterstrom and two copies on the stack. I pay for two copies and hardcast FoW to see off the third.

Game 3, back on the draw, and again I get to the stage where I have enough counterspells to go off. I play Show and Tell, have a FoW for his FoW, put my Omniscience down and then EtI. He has one card in hand, no mana open, so I figure I'm home. MINDBREAK TRAP! Was not expecting that. Fortunately for me, I had a Cunning Wish on top of my library from a Ponder the previous turn, and just draw and play it the next turn for the win.

Round 4 v Elves. Win 2-0.

Game 1 I'm on the play and keep SnT, Omni, EtI, Wish, Flusterstorm, Brainstorm, land. Because Elves is faster (in my opinion) I keep it hoping to Brainstorm into land on Turn 2. I don't, but fortunately he's on a slower hand too, so I SnT on my Turn 4 into Omni. RECLAMATION SAGE! Good hand against my deck, but I have a Cunning Wish to Trickbind the trigger for the win.

Game 2, I'm on the draw, with Duress, FoW, SnT, Omni, land, Dream Halls. I Duress a Natural Order and Force his Glimpse on Turn 2. Like a champ, I draw land, land, EtI and win on my Turn 3. Better lucky than good.

The deck is amazingly powerful even though I made a few identifiable mistakes. Will play again!

A short report...
    3-1:ed the legacy DE on modo today beating 2x uwr blade, ub gurmag angler beatdown (!?) and losing to burn (he had a fast start g1 and I mulled to 4 g2).
    4-0:ed the LGS yesterday beating bug tempo (with sinkhole), 12post, uwr-blade and infect.
    I had a session this weekend where I played about 30 games pre and postboard vs a competent infect player. The matchup is slightly unfavored and the die-roll matters a lot.
    I switched the hurkyl's recall in my sideboard for a surgical extraction. Reanimator is having a resurgence and dredge is a bad matchup.
    Also trying rushing river over echoing truth after discussing it a bit with Lejay.
    Overall pretty happy with the deck. Sorry for the brief report... If you have any questsions feel free to ask :-)

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

I'm playing a blue/black build with discards over flusterstorm.

I'm finding i don't really need defense grid all too much. How are you guys feeling about this card.

There's discard in the meta now that I feel maybe more counters/divert/misdirection is better than defense grid.

Brisbane Legacy regular
    Jan 2009

Mackan, what was your list for those tournaments?

Quote Originally Posted by KobeBryan View Post
    I'm playing a blue/black build with discards over flusterstorm.
    I'm finding i don't really need defense grid all too much. How are you guys feeling about this card.
    There's discard in the meta now that I feel maybe more counters/divert/misdirection is better than defense grid.
    To me this is a very intresting topic. Right now the ONLY archetypes I feel slightly unfavored against are bug-delver, grixis midrange and reanimator. All packing both counterspells and discard, which makes our default line of defense with boseiju and defense grid less attractive. The same goes for Leyline of Sanctity which I talked about in a previous post. You don't want LLoS if they have their counterspell draw and you do not want the Defense grid if they go for discard. I had Jace, TMS in my sideboard to combat this but found him a bit slow. I've yet to find something I like to combat these decks. The sideboard is becoming pretty tight so we don't have space to fit everything we want. I think it's the correct assumption that we have to cut defense grid to make room for these counterspells (atleast in my list).

Additional counterspells seems a lot better vs these decks than defense grid. There are some things to consider. First of all, if we cut defense grid from the list and replace them with more of what we allready have we lose a whole angle of attack. Defense grid dodges flusterstorm and red elemental blast and it can also stop every piece of interaction during the turn when you go off (like multiple counterspells or vendilion clique. On paper Defense grid is perfect vs tempo strategies like RUG and pretty good vs control in general. It's lacking against decks where we would want to counterspell on their turn (infect and the mirror for example) and decks which have both discard and counterspells. So even though Defense grid has a unique and more powerful effect it's maybe not enough to compensate for the amount of UB/x and combo in the metagame.

So, which counterspell would be best for handling these type of decks? Overall reanimator/bug-delver/grixis delver are fast. I don't think we can afford to tap 2 mana for the actual Counterspell but sadly everything that costs 0 or 1 mana have their own built in weaknesses. Plus, we want Dig Through Time to be cast asap all the time. The cards below focus on these 3 decks.

Misdirection - Every card counts and we allready pack 4 force of will to help us get hellbent. I don't think I want Misdirection unless the metagame is full of hymn to tourach. The fact that a misdirected thoughtseize from the opponent most likely will not take a relevant card (as the opponent still chose) makes it even less appealing. It's a powerful effect though and pre-board it's a very wishable card. But it's not attractive enough imo.

Daze - A 2-of Daze in the 75 could be pretty good as it's very unexpected and powerful (yay, free spells!). Missing a land drop is not something we want though and Daze is bad defending against counterspells when we try to resolve a 3-mana spell (they will most likely be able to pay). If we were allways on the play It would be a strong consideration...

Disrupt - Maybe I am wrong but I think this card is pushing the greed to far. Paying 2 mana is not a lot... 1 mana even less so. Daze atleast can be played for free.

Spell Pierce - I am a bit allergic to taxing counters because it forces you to rush into a lot of situations as these cards drops in value as the game progress. Spell Pierce is a pretty underwhelming sideboard card unless we are terrified of sneak attack, Liliana or counterbalance I see it as a strictly worse flusterstorm (which is more of a hardcounter with the potential blow-out attached to it). We can't have more than 4 flusterstorm in the list though but I want a more powerful effect from a sideboard card.

Divert - This is something I like. It is more narrow than Spell Pierce but it's also a lot more powerful. Disrupting a discard spell and forcing them to discard a random card is actually pretty good. Sometimes we get the only blue card for force of will, sometimes we reduce their clock and besides, all of them play with 4 brainstorm. A bit of a gamble against reanimator to be sure...

Envelop - Only stops cantrips and discard. We want something that stops counterspells and discard.

Dispel - See above and think the other way around.

Swan Song - A nice topdeck, a 1 mana answer to all of our problems AND the upside of handling Counterbalance, Sneak attack etc. This is a STRONG candidate and I used to run it in my board as a wishable counterspell when I ran 4 Flusterstorm maindeck. It's pretty bad vs cabal therapy though...

Spell Snare. Stops some counterspells and discard in Counterbalance, Counterspell, Snapcaster mage and Hymn to tourach. Unfortunatly pretty poor overall vs the 3 decks we want to sideboard against (except for maybe reanimator).

Honorable mention, Dimir charm. Kills their hatebear and stops their discard. The flexibility is not worth the additional mana though.

Mental misstep - Please come back! :P

We could also include more discard ourselves to combat both their discard and their counterspells. This unfortunatly comes with other problems. I rather not play with more than 3-4 discard spells in my deck as they become pretty bad after a while when you draw too many of them. The manainvestment is also a big difference between discarding and counterspelling and answering spells on the stack is often a lot better. I also do NOT want be include more black cards in my way to fight BUG-delver. Wasteland is a real card and I don't want to be stuck without a blue source. This could easily happen if (when) I keep a 1-lander with or without a basic swamp in the deck. With just a few black cards it's ok to be unable to cast them in the early game. Discard spells are normally bad topdecks but to be fair the other cards on this list are too so if the options aren't there it's atleast worth a shot. The 3 thoughtseize in my list I think is enough to provide a most excellent angle of attack to deal with flusterstorm, hatebears and other combo without having to many difficulties in drawing multiples or not beeing able to cast them.

Conclusion. Given how the meta is not very full of RUG and that we don't have a sideboard-plan against 2 of our 3 most feared matchups (reanimator we atleast got "covered") it is safe to assume we can cut Defense Grid in favor of a defensive, low cmc, card to deal with opposing counterspells AND discard. I think the Safest bet is to play Swan Song in this slot. The other realistic options are all taxing effects and personally I think it's a good habit to avoid those in a combo/control deck.

How much disruption could we actually include? I fear we are pretty close to over-sideboarding.

Quote Originally Posted by pandaman View Post
    Mackan, what was your list for those tournaments?
    Here's my list.

CREATURES (2)
    2 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    ENCHANTMENTS (4)
    4 Omniscience
    SORCERIES (17)
    2 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Show and Tell
    4 Ponder
    4 Preordain
    3 Thoughtseize
    INSTANTS (17)
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Force of Will
    3 Dig Through Time
    3 Cunning Wish
    3 Flusterstorm
    ARTIFACTS (2)
    2 Lotus Petal
    LANDS (18)
    5 Island
    4 Flooded Strand
    4 Polluted Delta
    3 City of Traitors
    1 Underground Sea
    1 Swamp
    SIDEBOARD (15)
    2 Grafdigger’s Cage
    1 Eladamri’s Call
    2 Massacre
    2 Boseiju, Who Shelters All
    1 Trickbind
    1 Flusterstorm
    1 Dig Through Time
    2 Defense Grid (will try 2 Swan song moving forward)
    1 Slaughter Pact
    1 Rushing River (or echoing truth)
    1 Surgical Extraction (or hurkyl's recall)

How do you like your list? It looks pretty perfect as far as Dream halls builds go:)
    Did you try without it too?

I want more consistency in my list but from previous testing I found that Dream halls was to slow. I also tried it as a 1of in my sideboard but with thoughtseize In the deck I no longer fear to cast show and tell as much as before. Plus, playing with Dream halls would more or less force me to switch one emrakul for ETI. Show and tell for emrakul is surprisingly effective. Liliana, Jace and Karakas see very little play these days.

Brisbane Legacy regular
    Jan 2009

I've always wondered why Cunning Wish is still in builds that don't use the sideboard to win. Couldn't it just get cut for three more manipulation spells, and then you just sideboard like a non-Wish deck? I've never tested it without (I run the Maniac win condition) but I think Wish would be my first cut if I did.

What do you mean? Eladamri's call fetches Emrakul...

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

To me this is a very intresting topic. Right now the ONLY archetypes I feel slightly unfavored against are bug-delver, grixis midrange and reanimator. All packing both counterspells and discard, which makes our default line of defense with boseiju and defense grid less attractive. The same goes for Leyline of Sanctity which I talked about in a previous post. You don't want LLoS if they have their counterspell draw and you do not want the Defense grid if they go for discard. I had Jace, TMS in my sideboard to combat this but found him a bit slow. I've yet to find something I like to combat these decks. The sideboard is becoming pretty tight so we don't have space to fit everything we want. I think it's the correct assumption that we have to cut defense grid to make room for these counterspells (atleast in my list).

Additional counterspells seems a lot better vs these decks than defense grid. There are some things to consider. First of all, if we cut defense grid from the list and replace them with more of what we allready have we lose a whole angle of attack. Defense grid dodges flusterstorm and red elemental blast and it can also stop every piece of interaction during the turn when you go off (like multiple counterspells or vendilion clique. On paper Defense grid is perfect vs tempo strategies like RUG and pretty good vs control in general. It's lacking against decks where we would want to counterspell on their turn (infect and the mirror for example) and decks which have both discard and counterspells. So even though Defense grid has a unique and more powerful effect it's maybe not enough to compensate for the amount of UB/x and combo in the metagame.

So, which counterspell would be best for handling these type of decks? Overall reanimator/bug-delver/grixis delver are fast. I don't think we can afford to tap 2 mana for the actual Counterspell but sadly everything that costs 0 or 1 mana have their own built in weaknesses. Plus, we want Dig Through Time to be cast asap all the time. The cards below focus on these 3 decks.

Misdirection - Every card counts and we allready pack 4 force of will to help us get hellbent. I don't think I want Misdirection unless the metagame is full of hymn to tourach. The fact that a misdirected thoughtseize from the opponent most likely will not take a relevant card (as the opponent still chose) makes it even less appealing. It's a powerful effect though and pre-board it's a very wishable card. But it's not attractive enough imo.

Daze - A 2-of Daze in the 75 could be pretty good as it's very unexpected and powerful (yay, free spells!). Missing a land drop is not something we want though and Daze is bad defending against counterspells when we try to resolve a 3-mana spell (they will most likely be able to pay). If we were allways on the play It would be a strong consideration...

Disrupt - Maybe I am wrong but I think this card is pushing the greed to far. Paying 2 mana is not a lot... 1 mana even less so. Daze atleast can be played for free.

Spell Pierce - I am a bit allergic to taxing counters because it forces you to rush into a lot of situations as these cards drops in value as the game progress. Spell Pierce is a pretty underwhelming sideboard card unless we are terrified of sneak attack, Liliana or counterbalance I see it as a strictly worse flusterstorm (which is more of a hardcounter with the potential blow-out attached to it). We can't have more than 4 flusterstorm in the list though but I want a more powerful effect from a sideboard card.

Divert - This is something I like. It is more narrow than Spell Pierce but it's also a lot more powerful. Disrupting a discard spell and forcing them to discard a random card is actually pretty good. Sometimes we get the only blue card for force of will, sometimes we reduce their clock and besides, all of them play with 4 brainstorm. A bit of a gamble against reanimator to be sure...

Envelop - Only stops cantrips and discard. We want something that stops counterspells and discard.

Dispel - See above and think the other way around.

Swan Song - A nice topdeck, a 1 mana answer to all of our problems AND the upside of handling Counterbalance, Sneak attack etc. This is a STRONG candidate and I used to run it in my board as a wishable counterspell when I ran 4 Flusterstorm maindeck. It's pretty bad vs cabal therapy though...

Spell Snare. Stops some counterspells and discard in Counterbalance, Counterspell, Snapcaster mage and Hymn to tourach. Unfortunatly pretty poor overall vs the 3 decks we want to sideboard against (except for maybe reanimator).

Honorable mention, Dimir charm. Kills their hatebear and stops their discard. The flexibility is not worth the additional mana though.

Mental misstep - Please come back! :P

We could also include more discard ourselves to combat both their discard and their counterspells. This unfortunatly comes with other problems. I rather not play with more than 3-4 discard spells in my deck as they become pretty bad after a while when you draw too many of them. The manainvestment is also a big difference between discarding and counterspelling and answering spells on the stack is often a lot better. I also do NOT want be include more black cards in my way to fight BUG-delver. Wasteland is a real card and I don't want to be stuck without a blue source. This could easily happen if (when) I keep a 1-lander with or without a basic swamp in the deck. With just a few black cards it's ok to be unable to cast them in the early game. Discard spells are normally bad topdecks but to be fair the other cards on this list are too so if the options aren't there it's atleast worth a shot. The 3 thoughtseize in my list I think is enough to provide a most excellent angle of attack to deal with flusterstorm, hatebears and other combo without having to many difficulties in drawing multiples or not beeing able to cast them.

Conclusion. Given how the meta is not very full of RUG and that we don't have a sideboard-plan against 2 of our 3 most feared matchups (reanimator we atleast got "covered") it is safe to assume we can cut Defense Grid in favor of a defensive, low cmc, card to deal with opposing counterspells AND discard. I think the Safest bet is to play Swan Song in this slot. The other realistic options are all taxing effects and personally I think it's a good habit to avoid those in a combo/control deck.

How much disruption could we actually include? I fear we are pretty close to over-sideboarding.

Here's my list.

CREATURES (2)
    2 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    ENCHANTMENTS (4)
    4 Omniscience
    SORCERIES (17)
    2 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Show and Tell
    4 Ponder
    4 Preordain
    3 Thoughtseize
    INSTANTS (17)
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Force of Will
    3 Dig Through Time
    3 Cunning Wish
    3 Flusterstorm
    ARTIFACTS (2)
    2 Lotus Petal
    LANDS (18)
    5 Island
    4 Flooded Strand
    4 Polluted Delta
    3 City of Traitors
    1 Underground Sea
    1 Swamp
    SIDEBOARD (15)
    2 Grafdigger’s Cage
    1 Eladamri’s Call
    2 Massacre
    2 Boseiju, Who Shelters All
    1 Trickbind
    1 Flusterstorm
    1 Dig Through Time
    2 Defense Grid (will try 2 Swan song moving forward)
    1 Slaughter Pact
    1 Rushing River (or echoing truth)
    1 Surgical Extraction (or hurkyl's recall)

How do you like your list? It looks pretty perfect as far as Dream halls builds go:)
    Did you try without it too?

I want more consistency in my list but from previous testing I found that Dream halls was to slow. I also tried it as a 1of in my sideboard but with thoughtseize In the deck I no longer fear to cast show and tell as much as before. Plus, playing with Dream halls would more or less force me to switch one emrakul for ETI. Show and tell for emrakul is surprisingly effective. Liliana, Jace and Karakas see very little play these days.
    I like your build.

I however run 1 firemind's foresight with 4 cunnings since FF usually gets you another cunning wish.

Nevertheless, I run an impulse which is a mini Dig.

I have been toying with the idea against the mirror and its Mind break trap as a 1 of in the board. It stops ANT and TES, which we have a problem with. It also stops flusterstorms.

Brisbane Legacy regular
    Jan 2009

What do you mean? Eladamri's call fetches Emrakul...
    But you run Emrakul main. It"s not like RtA or Maniac where the win is SB only. So why not cut Wish, go up to 4 Emrakul Main?

Brisbane Legacy regular
    Jan 2009

For example, without Wish, you could run:

4 Emrakul
    4 SnT
    4 Omni
    12 cantrips and 4 DTT
    4 FoW
    4 Flusterstorm
    4 Thoughtseize
    20 land

And then your sideboard gets more traditional.

Learning Blue cards
    Nov 2012
    Beijing,China

But you run Emrakul main. It"s not like RtA or Maniac where the win is SB only. So why not cut Wish, go up to 4 Emrakul Main?
    Why not go up to 4 Emrakul and 4 Griselbrand main? Drawing ability of Griselbrand is absolutely awesome.
    I hear they got twisters miles wide in the Midwest.

Brisbane Legacy regular
    Jan 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Tokugawa View Post
    Why not go up to 4 Emrakul and 4 Griselbrand main? Drawing ability of Griselbrand is absolutely awesome.
    Are you being facetious?

For example, without Wish, you could run:

4 Emrakul
    4 SnT
    4 Omni
    12 cantrips and 4 DTT
    4 FoW
    4 Flusterstorm
    4 Thoughtseize
    20 land

And then your sideboard gets more traditional.

I dont hate the idea, having 4 emrakul gives you the option to SnT-> Emrakul a lot more often which is just fine vs a lot of matchups, the downsides of that are:
    -Emrakul is a dead card in hand, where wish isnt at all
    -automatically losing to ensnaring bridge (although not a popular maindeck option)
    -not having the option to go off at instant speed (responding to a oblivion ring trigger, a pyroblast or a qasali pridemage, or even vs sneak and show or omniscience mirror who run burning wish instead of cunning)

Im running the 4 wishes 1 emrakul build, so there's no huge difference in the amount of combo pieces MD (-4 wishes -1 Impulse +3 Emrakul), nevertheless i consider it a very interesting idea, since it opens up 3 slots in the sb compared to the traditional version.

@Mindbreak trap
    It's not great at fighting discard but it's certainly worth mentioning when talking about counterspells. I will do some testing with it before I draw any conclusions but if it's there to beat storm I don't think it's not worth a slot. I did think about it some weeks ago but dismissed it because it's not as good vs storm as one might think. They usually discard your wishes before going off, or they go off before you reach 3 mana. With the metagame shaping up I think that in a few weeks Flusterstorm will be a staple in any blue deck, even maindeck, and MBT is fine against that and counterspell-wars in general. So it's perhaps not a strictly "anti-storm" card anymore. It's also one of the few ways we can answer a cast emrakul in the mirror. The "play 3 spells" is easy to play around for show and tell-based combo so perhaps it's too unreliable. I'll give it some testing though! I am still ONLY concerned about bug-delver, grixis control and reanimator.

@Firemind's foresight/Impulse/release the ants/research//development/lab man/(Enter the infinite)
    As I see it there is no real reason not to trust Mr 15/15 Spaghetti. I played with Lab-man in my first list and kind of liked it, it's not very vulnerable to hate and it kills instantly. Sadly it also requires Enter the infinite in the list which is more or less just a worse card than Emrakul imo. Show and telling Emrakul is often enough and show and tell for Enter the Infinite is not. In a list with Dream Halls you need EtI as you can't play Emrakul off it anyways and I think pandamans list above is a very good example of a list like that. I am still not convinced we need Dream Halls (weird as it is, since it was even banned for a while...).

The Release the ants-kill makes us vulnerable to a lot of hate we otherwise ignore (Trinisphere, Thalia, Etherworn Canonist etc). As a complement to Emrakul it's a nice tech and we cover most hate in legacy with both angles. The ability to go off->release the ants with an oblivion ring trigger on the stack is good but is it worth the additional slots in the deck? I think Cunning wish->trickbind and get there with the rest of the hand is often enough, even if it requires another card. For scenarios when we go Snt->Omniscience and the don't put anything relevant into play we can almost allways win with Cunning Wish->Eladamri's call->Emrakul or Just Cunning Wish->Dig Through Time. Having the option of going Cunning Wish->Firemind's Foresight->Rta-kill does not come up often enough to be worth 2 sideboard slots imo (FF+RtA). Impulse MD is also worse than Gitaxian Probe. I rather die on the backswing after an emrakul attack (or try to bounce/slaughter pact an attacker) than play additional cards to cover a scenario that happens every 100 games. There's an emergency win available by just including a Release the Ants in sideboard and hope to get there of a cantrip but If I have Omniscience in play and a wish I would rather go for DTT in most scenarios. Sadly there is little upside of trying to cover all angles with the deck. The brute force of Show and Tell and Dig through time will win many, many games and making sure this happens I think is better than to get fancy.

@Emrakul 3-4
    As much as I praised Emrakul above I think he comes with significant diminishing returns in multiples and I rather have virtual copies of more Emrakuls from Cunning Wish instead. Cunning Wish is not a great card but it's a lot better than Emrakul when drawn. I have been really happy with 2 Emrakul but I can see going down to 1 also even if it's a bit greedy. One is often enough but the second is there to give you an out when one hit is not enough (to compensate for the lack of Rta without playing the card in a way) and gives you another out to Grindstone for free. If you want more Emrakul I think it's better to play Sneak and Show instead. The beauty of Omnishow is that we run only about 10 combopieces (2 Emrakul, 4 SnT, 4 Omniscience) compared to S&S ~16 (4 Griselbrand, 4 Sneak Attack, 4 Emrakul, 4 Show and tell). Most redundant combopieces can also be pitched to Force of Will in Omnishow. Sneak and Show can only brute force their way to victory (and are a lot better at that than we are) but it comes with the downside of drawing Terrible cards in the mid/late-game where we find counterspells and DTT instead, taking the control role instead.

I played the list from my previous post in the Legacy DE yesterday and went 3-1

R1: Bug-Delver. I liked the addition of Swan song and even though I lost 1-2 I felt pretty good about the matchup. I won the first pretty easy and he put some early pressure and had the counterspells/discard to back it up in the second. I mulliganed to 4 in the decider before I found a land.

R2: Julian on elves
    G1: was pretty close but Emrakul finished him and I went down to 2 on the backswing. G2: I had the t2 Emrakul with 2X fow backup... fun magic :(

R3: UR-blue moon. A friend of mine put together a very intresting list with counterspells and blood moon maindeck. G1 I thoughtseized him and saw a pretty weak hand which led me to force of will his brainstorm a few turns later before going off with perfect information. In the second game we played land go for a while before I found Boseiju which forced him to tap low for blood moon, unable to fight my counterspells.

R4: CalebD on Tin-Fins. He got an early Liliana into play (!) and I was forced to force a Shallow Grave that left me with no cards to go off. I brought a lot of cards from the sideboard and got him with Surgical Extraction in response to him trying to raise Griselbrand from the dead. The game went on for a while and I won the deciding counterspell war. G3: He put a liliana into play and later ultimated it on my 5 lands / 1 grafdigger's cage. I sacrificed the cage and force of willed his attempt to reanimate Griselbrand. He played Dark Confidant and I played another cage on my turn and Swan sung my own thoughseize to start the race. I had a few counterspells left and when I found show and tell->Omni->Emrakul a turn later I decided to go for it as I was maybe not winning the race anymore with a Children of Korlis joining Caleb's army the previous turn.

Learning Blue cards
    Nov 2012
    Beijing,China

Durward just released an article this week, about fitting LotV into Tinfins decks...so it is possible to see him playing that version.
    I hear they got twisters miles wide in the Midwest.

Hi Mackan,

How about 2 duress instead of swan song ?
    It doesn't increase the delver's clock and can be casted before our big turn to save mana.
    Sometimes, i stucked with too many counters than i can cast.
    In other hand, duress isn't fully effective against opponent discard, but playing a noxious revival instead of cranial extraction is more resiliant against discard and can interact with reanimation spell too.

An other idea, but i didn't tested yet against delver, is a couple of repeal.
    This card generating a huge tempo on fliped delver + cantrip and fill graveyard for DTT. It's flexible and can be used on an unexpected meddling mage.
    But maybe it's too cute.

I've been practising with this deck as much as I can since I'm still so new to it. Here have been my experiences so far pre-sideboard.

Burn: Winning 75% of the time. Occasionally I lose because I fumble and fail to find a Show & Tell in time. I usually can find some sort of thing to cheat into play since I'm running 7 of them, it is the Show & Tell that causes me the problems.

Big BUG: Did some small testing. Never had to face a Lily yet (phew!) but thoughtseize/Hymn hasn't actually been too bad for me. Noxious Revival is a pretty sweet card, I will say that. I've won each time I've played against Big BUG, but the sideboard looks horrific.

Miracles: Only played one game. I think I was going to win but I got really lazy and almost got blown out by a Vendilion Clique.

Elves: I felt confident in this match-up. I think we go about the same speed, but I have better interaction to slow them down. We played with sideboards too, and I didn't encounter any discard to be fair.

Infect: I punted pretty hard when playing this deck even in a pre-sideboard state. They just go so fast. I now know that I should counter the creatures over their pump spells. If we win the dice roll and can get a T3 combo I think we'll win, but if we lose the dice-roll then they can comfortably win on T3 a lot of the time it seems, whereas we only sometimes win on T3.

Thoughts: Deck is slow. Occasionally sure you'll have T2 blowouts, and T3 kills much more often, but still I see myself going to T4 a lot of the time. I can see that the deck has legs against Delver decks, miracles and decks that aren't combos. But against fast decks that pack interaction, it is pretty tough going. The main issue is that I struggle to find the right combo pieces.

I love DTT but can't rely on it when versing combo decks because it won't get me there fast enough, I can normally cast it at most T3 and then find myself dead T4...

Intuition is a great but very slow card. I still wouldn't mind trying to fit another one into my 60. I am very happy with the land.

Here is my current 75:

6 Island
    4 Polluted Delta
    4 Flooded Strand
    3 City of Traitors
    2 Boseiju

4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    3 Preordain
    3 Gitaxian Probe
    1 Impulse
    1 Intuition
    4 Cunning Wish
    4 Show and Tell
    3 Dig Through Time

4 Force of Will
    3 Spell Pierce

4 Omniscience
    3 Emrakul

SB:
    1 Release the Ants
    1 Fireminds Foresight
    1 Eladamris Call
    1 Noxious Revival
    1 Surgical Extraction
    1 Echoing Truth
    1 Hurkyl's Recall
    1 Dig Through Time
    1 Trickbind
    1 Intuition (thinking of removing this. Wishing for Intuition is SO SLOW and SO CLUNKY)
    1 Pognify
    ~4 Flexi Spots

Thread Information