Page 135 of 138 FirstFirst ... 3585125131132133134135136137138 LastLast
Results 2,681 to 2,700 of 2748

Thread: [Deck] MonoU OmniTell

Sep 2014

Re: [Deck] MonoU OmniTell

I played mono U for at least 3 years. Quit for 2 years. Been playing for 4 months ish now. In the case of instant vs sorcery,I'm well aware instant is superior. I choose Burning Wish. Get over it! Make more productive posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis Dittmar View Post
    I played mono U for at least 3 years. Quit for 2 years. Been playing for 4 months ish now. In the case of instant vs sorcery,I'm well aware instant is superior. I choose Burning Wish. Get over it! Make more productive posts.
    Agreed. Pyroblast is an extremely good card, but saying it is the main reason to choose a red splash is false. Burning Wish is the reason. Being able to win at instant speed is important at times, and irrelevant in many cases. Having 7 show and tell without losing card advantage is good. Not saying that black splash is worse.

Hi all!

And the new "London Mulligan", what do you think?

If that's turns on, maybe the mono blue explosive deck with 4 LotS in the side shall returns figures into the tier 1 decks?
    Keep Walking, Voidwalker! - Use bugs with moderation -

Sep 2014

3/4 drop for the open. 6/2 for the classic. Finished 24th.

(Classic)
    Rd 1-Burn 2/1
    Rd 2-Miricals 0/2
    Rd 3-Death Shadows 2/1
    Rd 4-Elves 2/1
    Rd 5-Elves 2/0
    Rd 6-Grixis Delver 0/2
    Rd 7-Death and Taxes 2/1
    Rd 8-Burn 2/1

nidubuild
    Jan 2006
    Paris-France

Quote Originally Posted by Lejay View Post
    I now have played a bunch of legacy leagues and I have to say the deck seems only ok. I have done a whole lot of 3-2s without much variance (rare 4-1s and just slightly rarer 3 defeats).
    My guess would be that people are more prepared for it and my past results were capitalizing on people being lost facing the deck. The metagame also feels tougher. I seem to face discard a lot, not so many combo decks. Lands and 4c loam were easy match-ups and they seem to have almost completely and completely disappeared.
    It could also be me doing something wrong with my card choices and I don't realize.

So only play it if it seems justified by your metagame I'd say.
    My final sideboard is :

SB: 3 Surgical Extraction
    SB: 1 Skeletal Scrying
    SB: 1 Release the Ants
    SB: 1 Noxious Revival
    SB: 1 Force of Will
    SB: 1 Firemind's Foresight
    SB: 1 Spell Pierce
    SB: 1 Eladamri's Call
    SB: 1 Murderous Cut
    SB: 1 Cryptic Command
    SB: 1 Dimir Charm
    SB: 1 Baleful Strix
    SB: 1 Echoing Decay

Multiple removals seem safer vs Thalia decks. Dimir Charm is only slightly inferior to 2nd pierce. Echoing Decay is still the most useful wish option among unsure slots. 2nd pierce instead of 3rd surgical is still a possiblity, so consider that if your meta has not many grave decks, and in this case Dimir Charm can become something else.

Baleful strix is the most questionable slot as it's not wishable and I don't side it in that much, but I don't see another good option vs delver that is good enough elsewhere. Reanimate is a bit low vs delver without 4 strix but you could be playing 2nd pierce, reanimate, and a specific removal instead of 3rd surgical, 4th strix and Dimir Charm.

I guess most of my mtg play will be with the format in my signature now.^^
    I have played a few leagues recently with the Ub list. Starting with a 5-0 helped bring motivation to test stuff, but then 3-2, 3-2, 4-1, 3-2 (so not great but still a solid deck, and I did a few decisive mistakes).
    The stuff was other arrangements of discard and (once again) Mastermind's Acquisition. I didn't like Mastermind's previously in my list and any cut is tough now, but there are very few things I would test anyway so I tried it again, mostly as a pseudo 3rd Emrakul that can do things once in a while. Before the last league I realized that rain of filth in the sideboard, another tech I dismissed previously (because discard+surgical decks often put you low on ressources so its value where it is the most needed is close to zero), would actually be more interesting with the Mastermind's Acquisition in the deck. If I play both, that means that all the times where I have MA+Cunning Wish+AnotherWish/Emrakul+ either S&T or Omni in hand with 3 lands, I can wish for Rain of Filth so that any land draw let me combo next turn. If I already have the 4th land but neither S&T or Omni nor another turn, I can play turn 3 Wish for RoF and have either Omni or S&T as outs. The move is an all in one, but it should happen regularly that you are to the wall and don't have a choice, or that you prefer to end the game as soon as possible.
    Also I am sure it will sometimes be the right move to wish for RoF so that you can Discard+ show and tell on 3 lands or be able to play one more cantrip to find the missing piece. It will also work well with intuition.
    So I tried that and despite doing just 3-2 Rain of filth did shine. As soon as the second match after a phoenix player surgicaled my Show and Tells (and I surgicaled his confidants). Achievement unlocked pretty quickly, that's encouraging.

I wished RoF end of turn and drew seize luckily. He surgicaled Mastermind's acquisition in response, thought for a while, and tried fluster. I didn't pay and played omniscience with no board.
    I also used it in a game post sb vs D&T to bypass Thalia+port and win with Wish Call. The guy mulliganed to 5 on the play and didn't draw a lot but I am still glad I could end the game one turn earlier since he had a vial at 3.

The cuts I did were Echoing Decay for Rain of filth sb (I rarely have a flex slot in my builds so this one was quick) and MA instead of 3rd Strix main deck. This is really the only cut you can do unless you cut a wish. I did cut a wish when I first tested MA a few months ago and I didn't like that. Since I really want to keep 4 strixes in the 75 for tempo, I've cut the 3rd surgical which was the (by default) most questionable slot. Without Echoing Decay I don't have many removals, so I'd better keep Dimir Charm which is the last slot to answer Teeg when Emrakul isn't enough and has been pretty useful and versatile and is probably set in stone now.

2/3 Inquisition of Kozilek (or 2 inquisition and 1 Thought Erasure)
    3/4 Thoughtseize
    4 Omniscience
    4 Cunning Wish
    4 Polluted Delta
    3 Scalding Tarn
    6 Island
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Preordain
    3 Force of Will
    4 Show and Tell
    2 Underground Sea
    2 Lim-Dûl's Vault
    2 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    1 Intuition
    2 Baleful Strix
    2 Bloodstained Mire
    2 Swamp
    1 Mastermind's Acquisition

1 Noxious Revival
    1 Firemind's Foresight
    1 Eladamri's Call
    2 Surgical Extraction
    1 Release the Ants
    1 Murderous Cut
    1 Cryptic Command
    1 Force of Will
    2 Baleful Strix
    1 Skeletal Scrying
    1 Spell Pierce
    1 Dimir Charm
    1 Rain of Filth

I played with a 3/3 split of discard spells. 3rd strix main was the change that allowed me at one point to go up to 4 seize without too much concern. Now with just two I think I have to ponder options between keeping 4th seize, having the 3/3 split, or putting back Thought Erasure. A few leagues before I tried 4 IoK 2 Seize just to see if I could go away with it and it almost didn't matter. Thought Erasure is also tempting because the curve at 2 would just go back to what I had with 3 strix and it did have value (ultimately I had found the 1cc of 4th Seize slightly more valuable than TE).

So if anyone is interested in testing extensively the list, I recommend playing 2 Iok, 3 Seize, 1 Thought Erasure. The question you should be asking yourself while testing/playing at tournaments are "is Thought Erasure better than 4th seize or 3rd IoK", and "is Mastermind's Acquisition better than 3rd Emrakul".
    Last edited by Lejay; 03-10-2019 at 05:33 PM.
    CLICK HERE FOR THE RULES OF A VERY FUN MULTIPLAYER CASUAL FORMAT
    You very likely can build it without spending any money, just out of what you already have.

An example with my (very large) list in a visual form

nidubuild
    Jan 2006
    Paris-France

I (once again) dropped the idea of Mastermind's Acquisition. I face very few delver decks online, so I think I will play the full counter suite main deck (2 pierce 4 fow) and strix sideboard to be safe versus combo and edge versus heavy discard decks that are many.
    You very likely can build it without spending any money, just out of what you already have.

Quote Originally Posted by Lejay View Post
    I (once again) dropped the idea of Mastermind's Acquisition. I face very few delver decks online, so I think I will play the full counter suite main deck (2 pierce 4 fow) and strix sideboard to be safe versus combo and edge versus heavy discard decks that are many.
    Nice 5-0 yesterday! With the "classic" ub version! Very nice!

Hello all,

I played at a monthly "Win a Dual" legacy tournament at one of the local shops in Singapore and managed to take down the event after 5 rounds swiss with a top 8 playoff.

My list (UR Omnitell):

4 Show and Tell
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Preordain*
    3 Spell pierce
    2 Flusterstorm
    4 Force Of Will
    4 Omniscience
    2 Intuition
    2 Impulse
    3 Emrakul
    4 Cunning Wish
    1 Jace the Mind Sculpator

5 Island
    2 Volcanic Island
    3 Ancient Tomb
    1 City Of Traitors
    4 Scalding Tarn
    3 Polluted Delta
    1 Flooded Strand

SB:
    4 Thing In The Ice
    3 Lightning Bolt
    1 Kozilek's Return
    1 Firemind's Foresight
    1 Noxious Revival
    1 Wipe away
    2 Surgicial Extraction
    1 Thru the bridge
    1 Trickbind

I choose Wipe Away and Kozilek's return over a Echoing Truth and Abrade as Mono red stompy and the recent Arclight decks are pretty popular recently. Wipe Away and Trickbind also helps to deal with Karakas and creatures with enter the battlefield effects via Omniscience. 4 Thing in the ice helps immensely against creature decks and provide an alternative wincon in case Show and tell got extracted away. 3 Lightning Bolts were there to kill hate bears especially Thalias, ethersworns and Leovolds as well as to provide fuel in combination with Thing in the ice (Titi). It also helps in removing those pesky hateful Strix that is a stumbling block to a awaken Kraken. Release the Ants and Eladarmi's call were removed as I think they are redundant alternate wincons. Inituiton (which I usually put 1 in sideboard after game 1) and Firemind's foresight are usually sufficient. There was no Boseiju in my 75 as I played 3 pierce and 2 flusterstorm mainboard and I prioritise sol lands which provides mana for my sideboard thing in the ice plan and my 3 drop spells. I usually prefer to sideboard out Intuitions, some number of cunning wishes and impulses for 4 Titi and 3 Bolts so Boseiju is tempo negative.

Round 1 (vs Lands) 2:0
    Opponent was a skillful lands player which I have to play carefully though it was a good matchup for me. Game 1 was pretty smooth as I spell pierced an early exploration and I go off in turn 3. I sided in 4 Titi, 2 Surgicial extraction and a Wipe away, leaving trickbind as a cunning wish target. Game 2 was rough as I was faced with a double port and a sphere of resistance even though I had a turn 2 Titi (with the help of an ancient tomb). At turn 5, I reckoned I have to risk a Show and tell with a direct Emrakul (without Omniscience) and Titi at 1 counter thereafter I was tapped out with Surgicial extraction and a Force of will in hand. Opponent cast a gamble with 5 cards in hand. I diced and discarded his gambled Karakas. He was dumbfounded after that lol.

Round 2 ( vs Arclight Phoenix) 2:0
    Opponent was unknown to me so I laid a land and passed the turn on the draw, keeping a spell pierce and a brainstorm. I proceed to hide my Show and tell via a brainstorm after being thoughtseized. He casted Young pyromancer and cantripped. At that point, I was hellbent in thinking he was on Grixis delver/control. I managed to assemble Show and tell and omniscience by turn 4 and was surprised that there was no counter magic from opponent. Game 2 opponent opened with a faithless looting and that's when I suspected he was on Archlight. he goes off with 3 Phoenix and therapy away my 3 preordain (which I was holding) in turn 4. I was facing lethal with only 8 life and my hand was Cunning wish, Show and tell, brainstorm and land. I was deliberating whether to Cunning wish for surgicial extraction when his Phoenix trigger from the yard was on the stack but risked it to try combing off on my final turn. I rode my luck as my brainstorm reveals Omniscience, Emrakul and a Kozilek's return.

Round 3 (vs Elves) 2:1
    I kept a slow hand with cunning wish, a force, a cantrip and Omniscience which on hindsight I probably should mull. He promptly tried to go off in turn 3 which I forced his Natural's Order. Even though I wished for a Kozilek's return to kill off his elves but he managed to return them with his insect and dealt lethal to me. Game 2 was a quick affair. I show in an Emrakul on turn 2, his showed in Progentinus wasn't enough to kill me as I annihilated his board the following turn. Game 3, I forced his turn 1 green sun zenith (for Arbor) to slow him down. I showed in an Omniscience with 3 instants on hand but he showed an Archon of Valour reach. My heart dropped for a moment hoping that he won't name instant. He named sorcery and I proceed to Cunning wish for Initution for 3 Emrakuls.

Round 4 : ID for guaranteed top 8 spot

Round 5 (vs Big Eldrazi) 2:1
    I known him to be playing those shiny full foiled Eldrazi. I cantripped for the 1st 2 turns and casted a 3rd turn JTMS while he laid his post lands. He played a thought knot seer (TKS) via a cavern and exiled my inituition. I bounced his TKS and drew an Emrakul. I showed in an emrakul in turn 5 and he showed an ancient tomb. He needs to topdeck Ulamog the ceaseless hunger at this point to exile both my Jace and Emrakul which he didn't. Game 2, he opened with a chalice which I forced, he followed up with a trinishpere which I pierced. Thran Dynamo resolves while I quickly casted 2 thing in the ice. It wasn't enough as he followed up with a Ulamog and Kozilek next. Game 3, I assembled my Show and tell and Omniscience by 3rd turn while he mulligan to 6 and was stuck on 2 lands. He was deliberating whether to put Endbringer or trinishpere. He chosed enbringer instead of trinishpere cos it can tapped down a emrakul if I pass the turn, and he has no way to cast it next turn. I wiped away his Endbringer and found an Emrakul for the win.

Top 8 (vs Punishing Jund) 2:0
    My opponent was a MTG buddy who plays Punishing Jund all his life and delights in surgical and extirprates his opponents. I knew he will max out his discard spells so I have to keep Spell Pierces and brainstorms and to assemble my combo piece quickly. I was top seed in Swiss so I was on the play which was very crucial against discard. Game 1 I had an extremely good hand with show and tell, Emrakul, pierce, FoW, brainstorm and 2 lands. Pierced his thoughtseize on turn 1 and I was half expectantly anticipating his Hymn to tourach on turn 2 but he casted tarmogofy. I showed and tell in an Emrakul and had a FoW backup for his Liliana of the Veil next turn if so. Game 2, I opened with 2 Pierces, a brainstorm, a show and tell, and 3 islands. Opponent Inquisition me but he took my only cantrip of brainstorm. I rode my luck again as I topdeck another brainstorm next. He casted Tarmogofy next and passed. End of turn I brainstormed and found Emrakul, Force of Will and Ancient Tomb. I showed an emrakul next. He casted Bloodbraid elves for next turn hopping to flip a Liliana but revealed an maelstrom pulse which Emrakul has protection from.

Semi Finals (vs Sneak Show) 2:0
    I didn't know what deck he is on until he lay a volcanic Island and a lotus petal in turn 2. He was my Round 4 Opponent which we ID without playing out our decks. We durdled around with cantrips and my first show and tell was countered. I found another Show and tell and was deliberating whether to fire off as I only had a preordain left with no Emrakul and there is an extremely high chance he had a Griselbrand/Emrakul in hand. Nevertheless, I have no other option as I don't have either cunning wish (for Thru the bridge) nor Emrakul in hand. Show and tell resolved and we both lay an Omniscience each. Preordain only found me a spell pierce after scrying both lands at bottom. Lo and behold, he casted a sneak attack and passed the turn ( he was land flooded as well). I topdecked a ponder and found Emrakul. I sided in only 2 surgicial extraction (mainly to check opponent's hand prior to casting Show and tell) and decided against siding in Titi which is too slow on the draw and I dun want to be caught tapping out for it. We dwell on cantrips for the first couple of turns and he casted a defense grid and passed the turn which to me, it was a pretty weird choice. I cast a 4 mana brainstorm end of turn; found my 3rd combo piece in Emrakul. I checked clear with my surgicial extraction on his ponder and only found 2 spell pierce, a sneak attack and no creatures and proceed to go off with 2 counter magic on hand. Opponent later told me that he misread defense grid as being only affecting his opponent instead of both players.

Finals (vs BUG Leovold)
    I kept a 2 land, Ponder, impulse, 2 FoW and Cunning wish. I pondered to find Omniscience but kept in on top of the library to play around his first turn thoughtseize. My impulse found me 2 lands, Show and tell, Emrakul. I decided to keep Show and tell and risk land screw (as I have no more cantrip and lands thereafter). I drew another Omniscience and had to forced his thoughtseize on my Show and tell. I land screw for another turn and burned my second Force fighting over his Leovold ( which he also burned his only 2 counter magic). I managed to top deck a land and proceed to combo off with a cunning wish and playing around Leovold. In goes 4 Titi and 3 bolts for game 2. I kept a decent hand with cantrips, Titi and a Show and tell and a FoW. Opponent Kept a one lander with 2 cantrips. Titi came in and I forced his 2nd brainstorm when he locked himself out of land which lured out his FoW. Show and Tell on Omniscience resolved next with him laying a baleful strix. I proceed to cantrip aggressive and bounced his strix and go beat down with the Awaken Kraken for the win!

The video link for the event ( last 30mins for the finals)
    https://www.facebook.com/greyogregam...5978198895560/

There's such a silence in here. So I'll ask . What is everyone's opinion about new cards: Force of Negation and Echo of Eos. I have a feeling they will fit here. Back to mono u maybe? What do the pros think? :)

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Ragdoll View Post
    There's such a silence in here. So I'll ask . What is everyone's opinion about new cards: Force of Negation and Echo of Eos. I have a feeling they will fit here. Back to mono u maybe? What do the pros think? :)
    echo needs to be played with that new narset

Hi everybody!

In this times with UR Delver dominating and with the London Mulligan at our door, is was wandering in cut the Balefull Strix of the deck (in my case 3 maindeck and 1 in the sb) and put in the slots one of the options bellow:

3 spell pierce; or
    3 divert; or
    3 Stifle; or
    3 telepathy, or even
    3 surgical extraction (openning 3 sb slots).

7 Island
    4 Polluted Delta
    2 Bloodstained Mire
    2 Swamp
    2 Flooded Strain
    2 Underground Sea

4 Thoughtseize
    4 Omniscience
    4 Cunning Wish
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Preordain
    4 Show and tell
    3 Force of Will
    2 Inquisition of Kozilek
    1 Lim-Dûl's Vault
    1 Split Decision
    1 Intuition
    3 Open Slots

1 Noxious Revival
    1 Firemind's Foresight
    1 Eladamri's Call
    1 Release the Ants
    1 Murderous Cut
    1 Cryptic Command
    1 Force of Will
    1 Skeletal Scrying
    1 Dimir Charm
    1 Rain of Filth
    3 Surgical Extraction
    2 Open slots

For the 2 open slots in the sb, I think in 2 of these options:

1 Ravenous Trap
    1 Mindbreak Trap
    1 Echoing Truth
    1 Hurkyl's recall
    1 Submerge
    1 Hydroblast
    1 Spell Pierce
    1 Trickbind

What do you think? What changes the list deserve?
    Any ideas?

Cyah,

Lammina

Quote Originally Posted by Lammina View Post
    Hi everybody!

In this times with UR Delver dominating and with the London Mulligan at our door, is was wandering in cut the Balefull Strix of the deck
    I'm not sure I understand the logic here, isn't Delver one of the better decks to have Strix in the 75 for? Delver decks, broadly speaking, are fair blue decks with a small number of threats to represent a clock. Baleful Strix is a card-replacing answer to one of their small number of threats, representing a resource-efficient way to buy a lot of time against the Delver opponent. In my limited time testing this deck, Strix was great against Delver, occasionally getting Force'd even, or buying multiple turns while the opponent had to find a Bolt or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by wonderPreaux View Post
    I'm not sure I understand the logic here, isn't Delver one of the better decks to have Strix in the 75 for? Delver decks, broadly speaking, are fair blue decks with a small number of threats to represent a clock. Baleful Strix is a card-replacing answer to one of their small number of threats, representing a resource-efficient way to buy a lot of time against the Delver opponent. In my limited time testing this deck, Strix was great against Delver, occasionally getting Force'd even, or buying multiple turns while the opponent had to find a Bolt or something like that.
    This was true against the older versions of Delver. Now, the new UR version with Arcanist deal with the strix too much easily. And with the PW Wrenn and Six showing up day by day in the decklists, the x/1 creatures seems more vulnerable in the meta. Because of these two scenarios, I ask if is time to retire the strix of our UB version.

Hi all!

My actual list of UB version, what do you think?

3 Surgicals is too much in the side?

Changes

Maindeck:

- 3 strix
    - 2 Iok
    - 1 Preordain
    + 1 Fow
    + 2 Spell Pierce
    + 3 Arcum's Astrolabe

Sideboard:

- 1 Strix
    - 1 Spell Pierce
    - 1 Fow
    - 1 Dimir A.
    + 1 Echoing truth
    + 3 Dead of Winter

-------------------------------------------
    Deck
    6 Snow Island
    4 Polluted Delta
    3 Flooded Strain
    2 Bloodstained Mire
    2 Snow Swamp
    2 Underground Sea

4 Thoughtseize
    4 Omniscience
    4 Cunning Wish
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Show and tell
    4 Force of Will
    3 Preordain
    3 Arcum's Astrolabe
    2 Spell Pierce
    1 Lim-Dûl's Vault
    1 Split Decision
    1 Intuition

Side
    1 Noxious Revival
    1 Firemind's Foresight
    1 Eladamri's Call
    1 Release the Ants
    1 Murderous Cut
    1 Cryptic Command
    1 Skeletal Scrying
    1 Rain of Filth
    1 Echoing Truth
    3 Surgical Extraction
    3 Dead of Winter

nidubuild
    Jan 2006
    Paris-France

So is the deck still played or what ?
    As often I didn't play at all for some number of months, but I played a few leagues in the last 48 hours so why not share what I figured. +I don't post often and every opportunity to make people read my signature should be taken.

Lammina Pmed me in july to get advice on the deck. The interesting thing he came up with was Dead of Winter. I didn't watch new cards and it seemed interesting enough to try. Strangely I didn't face that many delver decks (the online meta was supposed to be filled with them). Thus I can't be sure 100%, but I felt Dead of Winter was too hard to resolve versus them.
    But the conversation made me think about the deck, and after the tests here is what I would play in a tournament :

4 Omniscience
    4 Cunning Wish
    4 Polluted Delta
    2 Snow-Covered Swamp
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Preordain
    4 Thoughtseize
    4 Force of Will
    4 Show and Tell
    2 Lim-Dûl's Vault
    3 Inquisition of Kozilek
    4 Prismatic Vista
    9 Snow-Covered Island
    1 Dimir Charm
    1 Intuition
    0 underground sea
    0 Spell Pierce

1 Noxious Revival
    1 Firemind's Foresight
    1 Eladamri's Call
    1 Surgical Extraction
    1 Release the Ants
    1 Murderous Cut
    1 Cryptic Command
    1 Skeletal Scrying
    1 Rain of Filth
    4 Baleful Strix
    1 Spell Pierce
    1 Massacre

If you don't play Dead of Winter it looks a lot like my latest list. New cards and considerations are that :
    1) with Primastic Vista you can play 0 underground sea. I only missed it once versus elves in like 20+ matches.
    It's worth considering testing 1-2 sol lands again, but it will probably end up being bad.

2) since you can reliably have a swamp, running the 7th discard main deck instead of a spell pierce seems better. Spell pierce is a card that was sided out versus delver, it's not that easy to play it with 12 cantrips.

3) I liked main deck Dimir Charm instead of the other Spell Pierce because it is more flexible and can help finding the combo. It seems like a weak and odd choice, but I think that with 7 discards+4 fows main I don't need pierce that much in the main deck, so I favor flexibility. Also I always liked having access to a sb cheap counter. Spell pierce is less good than having the 4th Fow sb (I think I have to play it main when I play strixes sb because I need to win a lot of G1s versus combo and chalice to compensate the losses versus delver) but it is something. Force of Negation was considered in this sb slot, and still is, but there is a decent percentage of the time where you want to wish for something that could defend the show and tell on your turn.
    So nothing set in stone, but right now I favor limiting the number of pitch spells and protecting your own combo.

4) I end up playing zero Dead of Winter because in addition to what I said versus Delver, with a mana base with just two black sources, Rishadan Port from Thalia decks can should be too problematic. Massacre is also less dangerous than Dead of Winter versus Sanctum Prelate.
    That said I didn't play the 7th discard when I tried Dead of Winter (and I was also testing other bad things). That probably makes DoW better versus delver so it's worth considering testing them again in the sb, possibly adding a 3rd black source (Underground Sea or 3rd Swamp or even Arcum's Astrolabe). Strixes don't have a lot of uses outside of delvers (eldrazi and goblins mostly) so the other one-two sb slots could be better used.
    I still lean towards strixes. They are supposedly less effective now in this metagame, but discarding what bypasses strix (Wrenn, Arcanist,Young Pyromancer) and playing the long game resolving strixes still seems like a valid game plan. If you have an occasion to test versus a friend with a delver deck, please test Dead of Winter and 7 discards (8 is a possibility).

Sorry for posting with less tests than usual, but I would appreciate benefiting from what you experienced in this new meta as I am not that familiar with it.

Jun 2014
    Stockholm, Sweden

I have been testing quite frequently actually but will be away from keyboard today so long post incoming tomorrow. My list is very different right now.

nidubuild
    Jan 2006
    Paris-France

Quote Originally Posted by LarsLeif View Post
    I have been testing quite frequently actually but will be away from keyboard today so long post incoming tomorrow. My list is very different right now.
    I've seen that Tefeiri has been played in the last month, but I think I would be more interested in seeing an UXG list. Summer's Veil merits consideration and the splash grants Xanthid Swarm, Carpet of Flowers and possibly Eureka as a complement (probably not in a 3 color deck and you want a splash that handles hate bears).

I've playtested a lot today. I was trying to find other uses for the reliable black mana and I have been quite happy with Night's whispers in the Intuition slot. I added a third swamp as a 20th land instead of main deck Dimir Charm, in addition to being more safe on black I can appreciate not using cantrips to find land drops. 2nd Night's Whispers was good in that slot and 3rd LDV wasn't bad, but so far 20th land felt better.
    The Dimir Charm goes back in the sideboard in the pierce slot. I tested 2x leyline of sanctity again and their overall performance hasn't been good enough as I experienced before. I could try a one of instead of the Massacre as I feel I don't need that slot much. If I needed one more slot versus Delver I would probably add a Dead of Winter (with 3rd swamp it seems possible to count on it vs D&T) or a Fatal Push (probably good for the control plan with strixes vs delver and could save the day on a wish) but I feel fine and I don't have that many bad cards to remove.
    Since I don't have any counters sb, the leyline will probably be a Misdirection in my next league, since it would also be a wish target to protect show and tell from counters.

EDIT : a second Night's Whispers in the sideboard is probably a better option than Misdirection or Leyline. I'll test that first.
    Last edited by Lejay; 08-08-2019 at 05:04 PM.

Jun 2014
    Stockholm, Sweden

My list is BUG :)

Jun 2014
    Stockholm, Sweden

This is my current list (long post incoming below):

CREATURES (5)
    4 Griselbrand
    1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn

ENCHANTMENTS (4)
    4 Omniscience

SORCERIES (15)
    4 Show and Tell
    4 Thoughtseize
    4 Ponder
    3 Preordain

INSTANTS (13)
    4 Force of Will
    4 Brainstorm
    3 Cunning Wish
    1 Intuition
    1 Lim-Dul’s Vault

ARTIFACTS (4)
    4 Lotus Petal

LANDS (19)
    4 Polluted Delta
    4 Prismatic Vista
    2 Misty Rainforest
    2 Underground Sea
    1 Tropical Island
    4 Island
    1 Swamp
    1 Forest

SIDEBOARD (15)
    3 Veil of Summer
    2 Narset, Parter of Veils
    2 Abrupt Decay
    1 Firemind’s Foresight
    1 Release the Ants
    1 Eladamri’s Call
    1 Surgical Extraction
    1 Noxious Revival
    1 Murderous Cut
    1 Pernicious Deed
    1 Carpet of Flowers

Explanation of some card choices:

Griselbrands - I started out my testing with was was basically your classic list Lejay, + 3 Veil of summer as that card is very good in the deck. Finally a card that is good versus both discard and countermagic, and provides CA on top of that.
    My results were decent, veil was certainly performing, but I felt that the speed of the combo still was an issue. At the time, 4c control and 4c Delver were starting to become a thing, and I feel that despite having an unfair deck, it was a bit too slow to punish people durdling around with wrenn and astrolabes early game. I also tested some other SnT strategies at this time together with my friend Egget (of MTGO fame) and what we found quite quickly is that no matter the SnT-version, including fast mana and griselbrand would increase our win% quite noticeably. So we wanted to try it out in this deck as well, and fit it in by cutting the most redundant/lowest power level cards. We really liked what we saw, the combo package was suddenly much more compact (in the sense of SnT -> Griselbrand just being 2 cards), and we could go off a lot faster usually. Griselbrand of course needs no explanation regarding it's power level, but early SnT for griselbrand almost always are GG. The deck is a bit clunkier now, but it weighs up for it by increased power level I think. Our win% with this version is noticeably higher at least.

4 Lotus Petal - I'm not really a fan of these kind of effects usually, but the deck is 3 colors now, so the mana fixing is very welcome, and now with 4 griselbrand we can now use the fast mana a lot more as well.

Manabase - This is still a bit work in progress. My list currently is quite conservative and plays 0 sol lands, but I think 2 city of traitors would be very good to fit in, it is just a question of what to change. Maybe 1 spell slot has to go in order to fit them in.

Sideboard-stuff:

Veil of Summer - just a fantastic card overall, I could definitely even see it maindeck, but I still feel Thoughtseize is the better card game 1 vs unknown player.

Narset - This is a bit of a flex slot right now, it could be Veil #4 perhaps, or whispers, or Clique, but I like narset quite a lot, the card does many of the things we want to do regardless, and it's even good to cast with Omni to dig deep for wish.

Abrupt Decay - This is the second reason why green is really attractive, it just answers everything we don't like on the other side of the table, be it Delver, Narset or Trinisphere.

Pernicious Deed - This is also a flex slot I'm trying right now. On paper it is pretty good as it's a sweeper vs delver/DnT but also an expensive shatterstorm vs Karnpost or other staxy decks.

Carpet of Flowers - suuuper good vs delver decks, and also decent vs control. Hard cast griselbrand! :D

Cards not in the deck;

Sylvan Library - on paper this effect should be really good - protects you from discard while also offering an ancestral recall. In reality though after some testing I actually cut it. The life loss of drawing actually is quite painful for us now that we are a griselbrand deck. Same thing with Skeletal Scrying (also, with just 3 wish skeletal is less required in the first place).

Baleful Strix - It started out as 4-off as usual but I actually like it a lot less than I used to now. Against UR Delver it's quite poor vs arcanist (if the have bolt/reb they just kill it and start to snowball you), against 4c it usually dies to Wrenn, which is bad both vs the delver version but also the snow version. I feel that Decays are just a better use of the slot. It's not CA, but I prefer to just kill the threats outright. Strix is still quite good vs depths, but at least in this list we already have access to flying blockers in the form of Griselbrand.

Xantid Swarm - a bit of the same problems as strix, I think it's too much wrenn right now to make it reliable. But it's a very powerful effect, so maybe it's still worth the slot.

Other thoughts:

Life loss - the deck is quite good at inflicting damage on itself right now between thoughtseize, force and the 10 fetchlands, which in turn makes griselbrand a bit worse than you would like sometimes. It would be nice to remedy this somehow. Maybe a few Duress over some seize, or maybe less fetches.

Straight UG - I agree, it would be nice to try out a version that drops black and goes heavier on the green with Eureka. I saw that JPA 5-0ed with such a list, so maybe it has merits. Shifting Ceratops seems quite good actually. :p

nidubuild
    Jan 2006
    Paris-France

I didn't test much BUG because I also tried another deck and I wanted to try things in UB. But in the one match my draws were horrible and I couldn't help noticing that while I was trying to stitching the pieces together more with additionnal draw, your version had even less draw/cantrip. No definitive opinion on it, but this is real a worry.

I tried to get rid of strixes lately to get a better use of the sideboard since they are mostly good versus delver and because I feel I can use the CA from Night's whispers versus delver (this comes in addition to the fact strixes are more vulnerable now vs Arcanist and Wrenn, even if I can use discard on threats).
    I also tried to find cards that could kill without being uncastable. I liked merchant scroll in addition to the 4 wishes, but 2xDrawn from Dreams has been working even better I feel.

4 Omniscience
    3 Cunning Wish
    4 Polluted Delta
    3 Snow-Covered Swamp
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Preordain
    3 Thoughtseize
    4 Force of Will
    4 Show and Tell
    2 Lim-Dûl's Vault
    1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    3 Inquisition of Kozilek
    4 Prismatic Vista
    1 Duress
    2 Night's Whisper
    2 Drawn from Dreams
    8 Snow-Covered Island

1 Noxious Revival
    1 Firemind's Foresight
    2 Surgical Extraction
    1 Release the Ants
    1 Murderous Cut
    1 Cryptic Command
    1 Skeletal Scrying
    1 Fatal Push
    1 Pact of Negation
    1 Force of Negation
    1 Dimir Charm
    1 Eladamri's Call
    1 Dead of Winter
    1 Hydroblast

The duress is very unsure but I have to try it to save some life (4th seize slot). Hydroblast is an additionnal removal for UR delver that can do other things (might not stay but I like that it opens new possibilities on wishes G1.
    I like the association of Pact of negation and Force of Negation in the wishboard. You can answer the scenario you want on wishes game one, and I get one more counter versus either chalice/Narset etc... or vs decks where countermagic is the only interaction.
    2nd surgical back because it was good when I played 2-3 and it is even better now that I play with 7 discards (especially when they brainstorm in response to the discard).
    Skeletal scrying still in but it decreased a bit in value because of the Night's Whispers, something to keep in mind.

Despite the changes I can't get much above the 3-2 average result though. I am also unlikely to test much from now on.
    On a different topic, if you want to build a nice alternative to cube while it's still summer, consider clicking on my signature.

Thread Information