Page 130 of 138 FirstFirst ... 3080120126127128129130131132133134 ... LastLast
Results 2,581 to 2,600 of 2748

Thread: [Deck] MonoU OmniTell

Re: [Deck] MonoU OmniTell

Just curious, did Repeal ever come up in your testing? I’d think you’d like it as cost-efficient answer to Chalice on 2 or 3, and it can provide some utility un-flipping a Delver, dispersing a Marit Lage or bouncing one of your ETB creatures.

nidubuild
    Jan 2006
    Paris-France

Chalice at 2 or 3 generally comes after chalice at 1. Repeal crossed my mind, I think I even tested it, but it's doing too little. a CB player tends to keep a 3cmc on top with jace or cantrips so repeal doesn't help there and I don't think it's necessary or much better than truth vs marit lage.
    I kept an echoing truth for a few days as the 75th slot for extra-security but I don't think it's useful enough to be better than 4th strix or any of the cards I named as possibilities for that 75th slot.
    CLICK HERE FOR THE RULES OF A VERY FUN MULTIPLAYER CASUAL FORMAT
    You very likely can build it without spending any money, just out of what you already have.

An example with my (very large) list in a visual form

Quote Originally Posted by Lejay View Post
    Chalice at 2 or 3 generally comes after chalice at 1. Repeal crossed my mind, I think I even tested it, but it's doing too little. a CB player tends to keep a 3cmc on top with jace or cantrips so repeal doesn't help there and I don't think it's necessary or much better than truth vs marit lage.
    I kept an echoing truth for a few days as the 75th slot for extra-security but I don't think it's useful enough to be better than 4th strix or any of the cards I named as possibilities for that 75th slot.
    For miracles and artifact decks, did you still feel the deck had a lot of play against those MUs regardless, or were those games you were willing to lose given the narrowness of Truth or Boseiju?

nidubuild
    Jan 2006
    Paris-France

I made a mistake in both games I lost vs the miracles deck.
    I think the deck is favourable enough on a match vs control with the strix which is why I kept it. Besides boseiju seemed bad vs grixis. If you expect miracles in particular at your event then it's a good idea to play the boseiju, but that would change a lot the sbing strategy as you would probably want to keep ldv.
    Cutting the 4th strix means you will side in clique vs tempo but that should be fine.

Vs eldrazi it's tough-acceptable as it is and I don't think one slot would accomplish much compared to counting solely on variance.
    You very likely can build it without spending any money, just out of what you already have.

@Lejay - quick question about the duress - considering those strixes have you tested cabal therapy in this slot?

nidubuild
    Jan 2006
    Paris-France

I did test one therapy as 6th discard but even if it did wonders in a game vs reanimator (I remove his dude, exhume my strix, flashback on another exhume) it was too hard to profit from the flashback compared to being in the dark. It's at least sb material (you know what they play), at least I'd say the 7th discard (so that you know their hand often enough) but probably shouldn't be in the 75, especially since I would want more discards in match-ups where strix isn't great. There is the control match-up with my current sbing but that's all.

Lejay, just to confirm, would I be right in thinking you’d trim a Vault and a couple of forces against decks like tempo or control? In a couple of posts, where you mention sideboarding, it seems like you have a precise number of cards you like to cut against non-combo blue decks.

nidubuild
    Jan 2006
    Paris-France

Delver deck -2 LDV -1 Intuition.
    Delver deck with discard also -1 force to get scm in.
    Vs control I remove LDV and 2-3 lands and keep intuition. That plan is very likely to change with any slot change to the sb and I could even reevaluate it without any change. I didn't playtest as much vs control as I did vs delver. Remember I came 74 cards of the list in the last week of august and then I only had one more week to test it.

Ah, that’s a bit different than I was expecting, I figure 1-2 Forces would get swapped out as they’re card-ineffficient compared to the SB Fluster or something like that. I’ll keep the land recommendation in mind for the control games, though and maybe tinker with some of the counts on Force.

Would anyone in the thread be interested in recordings of MTGO leagues or something like that with this deck? I’m probably a few reps short of proficiency at the moment, but a few weeks on and I think I’d be alright, and there isn’t really a lot of content for Omnitell from what I can see.

Found a youtube link where LeJay is playing against Ewlandon (RB Reanimator) with the UB omintell list: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_v53k0ke8c

Just curious -if we're talking about the current (I mean Lejays) list - what about Jace, the mind sculptor? Should we consider 2 or 3 of them? (we now have strixes to defend them)

nidubuild
    Jan 2006
    Paris-France

2 jace sb were ok for me. But it generally went wrong vs control even when I had them.
    A good point with running Jaces (+flusters for their hymns) is that rain of filth sb becomes a viable plan. Otherwise vs discard deck you will always be too low on ressources to hope to cast omniscience with wish-> rain of filth.

nidubuild
    Jan 2006
    Paris-France

I have been playing a lot since the MKM event even though I originally thought I wouldn't. I like to finish what I start and I had the feeling that the control match-up wasn't as good as it could be. I didn't face them a lot online before the MKM, and even if I won vs Guillaume Wafo-Tapa my two losses were to grixis control in the rounds and miracles in the semis (though I could have played better there).

Control is quite played on mtgo right now so I have been able to test numerous options (including 2 fluster 2 jace like I said the previous slot).
    But first the main deck. I found a way to fit in 6th discard while keeping 3 strixes and 19 lands (even with 4 strix 18 lands is a problem and 4th strix slows you down too much it seems, it's not a main deck card). For a 6th discard I've cut the 4th force of will, which has a cost on card disadvantage from time to time and is a very good wish target that can be sided in when it rises in value (or when you have bad cards to sb out). This way the deck feels a lot better, being able to attack the opponent's hand more reliably at the beginning of the game, and getting information sooner / more often.
    This change goes well with the idea of compacting the 75 and be able to play less sb cards for D&T. Since I wanted 6th discard, 2 IoK main deck seemed like a good deal, and indeed my win rate seemed to rise again with the change (it decreased a bit after people became more aware of the deck). The initial choice of duress was because I thought discarding Fow was more important. But you have force (and seize) for that matter, IoK will rather be happy to discard SCMs and flusterstorms (but mainly hatebears).
    With more black cards I definitely want to make the mana base blacker (I was already thinking about it in previous configurations). So city of traitors goes away for second swamp and I can play 2 black fetches along with the 2 underground seas. Losing that extra speed / anti taxing effects is more ok with the extra discard.

About the sb after a lot of tests (and pain honestly) I think the best bet against control is to go discard followed by a threat that is hard to answer. So I have two bitterblossoms now. They justify further the need for a blacker mana base.

SCM and Clique were fine but not impactful enough. However reanimate really has been a nice sb card vs SCM decks. So I have it as another threat vs control. I also like that it doubles as anti reanimator hate and can even be sided in vs death's shadow, keeping the 4th fow in the sb (it's less good when they have a lot of discard but a nice option on wish). It goes well with the 4 strixes but it mostly shines vs control as a one mana SCM (which makes it way more likely to be able to flashback a show and tell).

Before Bitterblossom Suffer the past was ok+ as a card that completes well the sb by doing things other wish targets can't do, there are times where you would really like to wish for psionic blast or gutshot for opponents going nuts on sylvan library/confidant/ad nauseam, and there are also times you wish you could wish for a lifegain. It also is a good card to bring in vs reanimator. Now that I play 2 bitterblossoms and reanimate I think it is mandatory to have it in the sideboard.

The slaughter pact didn't have much value even if I had a couple games where it was the only out. After the MKM event I've put in a real removal instead with echoing decay. I figured that if I wanted to wish for a removal that isn't fatal push I would want to do it in situations where it's really interesting, and echoing decay can be situationnaly very strong because of the echoing part. I faced situations vs double delver several times and the idea came after a game vs triple Kitesail Freebooter. You could also reason otherwise and play Go for the throat as the best choice since it kills almost anything (gurmag especially).
    That said I play neither at the moment. Since I've cut flusterstorm and had to put threats vs control, my match-up vs storm and other combos is more fragile. So I play Dimir Charm at the moment for its extra help there. So far it has been good.
    Given that you keep LDVs vs D&T you could argue for a massacre in this slot. Consider your metagame for this slot.

4 Brainstorm
    1 Verdant Catacombs
    2 Underground Sea
    4 Thoughtseize
    1 Snow-Covered Swamp
    3 Snow-Covered Island
    1 Swamp
    4 Show and Tell
    1 Scalding Tarn
    4 Preordain
    4 Ponder
    4 Polluted Delta
    4 Omniscience
    2 Lim-Dûl's Vault
    4 Island
    1 Intuition
    3 Force of Will
    1 Misty Rainforest
    2 Inquisition of Kozilek
    2 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    4 Cunning Wish
    1 Bloodstained Mire
    3 Baleful Strix

SB: 1 Surgical Extraction
    SB: 1 Suffer the Past
    SB: 1 Skeletal Scrying
    SB: 1 Release the Ants
    SB: 1 Noxious Revival
    SB: 1 Reanimate
    SB: 1 Force of Will
    SB: 1 Firemind's Foresight
    SB: 1 Fatal Push
    SB: 1 Eladamri's Call
    SB: 1 Echoing Decay
    SB: 1 Cryptic Command
    SB: 2 Bitterblossom
    SB: 1 Baleful Strix

You don't have to split fetches (and snow swamp/swamp) like I did in this list. It was because I have been testing Tainted pact in the sb. It's decent, but slightly too unreliable to my taste.
    The split of Island / Snow Islands is for Predict from the opponent as some of you should have guessed.

Main questions in my mind right now are the Dimir Charm slot (could be massacre/echoing decay/massacre/flusterstorm), should I play a 9th fetch (blue one) instead of an island (Vs control I sb out an island given my game plan if mostly black, but I wouldn't be against sbing out a swamp because of Cryptic even if I didn't have any issue so far), and what impact will the next set have. Mission Briefing seems like a very good wish target, but Noxious feels better as you will more often have the extra draw step and not the extra mana than the other way in my opinion. Besides I like Noxious as hate for reanimator. So it will be hard to fit the card in and I am pretty sure Suffer the past will stay as long as I have two Bitterblossoms (and Liliana is probably too slow in providing "killing value"). Reanimate is the card that could go as Mission Briefing can be a discard/Show vs control and a surgical/noxious vs reanimator, but I think I like reanimate better.

The second consideration for the next set is the future impact of Assassin's Trophy in the metagame. Because of that card, 3rd Emrakul which was a consideration rises in value.

Wow, I'm so glad we are alive now. I'm looking forward to hearing about the changes. I'm gonna test this list for sure on paper :)

@Lejay: any changes to the list?

nidubuild
    Jan 2006
    Paris-France

No. I almost haven't played the deck the last few days (but played this 75 enough to be confident in it).

Ok, so I did playtest the deck on paper for a few hours. I must admit I changed the side a bit as I was expecting my friend to bring the infect with him.

The changes were as follows:

-1 Suffer the past
    -2 Bitterblossom
    -1 cryptic command

+2 snuff out
    +1 vendetta
    +1 ghastly demise

I made those changes because I knew he would also bring D&T and Goblins :)

The deck performed very well. I didn't miss sol lands at all plus the configuration of discard is great.
    The only question mark for me are those strixes. I kinda felt that they were unnecessary here as he had many ways to remove them before they did the job they were supposed to do :P

Anyways it was great to play omnitell again :)

nidubuild
    Jan 2006
    Paris-France

The sb change was stupid in addition to not being nice to your friend. You acted as if you were playing in a tournament when I suppose your intention was to evaluate the list. So logically you'd want to evaluate how the deck, with its sb weapons for the tier 1, would function versus infect, D&T and goblins (since that's what he had and all that you can test).
    Of course if your goal was to not let your friend win a single game of magic, then you made the right move.

Strixes are sideboarded out vs D&T.

Ouch, please don't be so harsh I just tend to be very unlucky. Besides we know each other for a very long time and we do know our deck choices - he has been kicking my ass for years now so it was my insurance policy in case he would stomp me again But I get it how it may sounded ill and unhealthy and I do hope I can be forgiven

And when we're talking about the forgiveness may I ask for small tips / instruction how to side properly with the latest decklist against some most popular decks like delver variants etc? That would be great - thanks in advance :)

Ps. we played pre-side so it wasn't that bad

nidubuild
    Jan 2006
    Paris-France

I am a straightforward guy, and text always feels more violent than oral language.

Here are the decks I play the most against and for which I am pretty sure of the plans:

Delver decks with discard -2 LDV -1 Intuition +1 reanimate +1 Strix +1 Fatal push
    If stifle -1 Thoughtseize +1 Fow

Control decks -2 LDV -1 Intuition -1 Island -1 Omni -1 Emrakul +1 Strix +1 Reanimate +1 Cryptic +2 Bitterblossom. If Grixis +1 Dimir Charm, If Miracles +1 Fow

Reanimator -3 Strix -1 LDV -1 Island +1 Fow +1 Noxious +1 surgical +1 Suffer +1 Reanimate

D&T -3 Strix +1 Fatal Push +1 Dimir Charm +1 Fow

Thread Information