Page 129 of 138 FirstFirst ... 2979119125126127128129130131132133 ... LastLast
Results 2,561 to 2,580 of 2748

Thread: [Deck] MonoU OmniTell

Re: [Deck] MonoU OmniTell

Quote Originally Posted by LynterriaHatake View Post
    How have you found Daze to be? I've had trouble justifying it because it seems like it either keeps us from getting to 3 (or 4 for Daze of 5 for Pierce) mana quickly, or is only useful after reaching enough mana that our opponents could easily pay for it.
    You're not trying to out Daze the Daze decks, Daze is a way to trip up decks that tap out for Chalice or hatebears or w/e. This lets you cantrip fearlessly knowing you can beat their threats while digging for a Force or Wish as needed.

Jan 2017
    TN

https://magic.wizards.com/en/article...nge-2018-08-06

A UB list made 20th of the challenge.
    The black seems like an extremely light splash.

Jan 2017
    TN

Just posting another deck update for UB.
    After a few iterations and changes through the course of quite a few leagues (still never doing worse than 3-2, yet no better than 4-1), this is where I've ended up with the deck.
    The maindeck feels like it is exactly where I want it to be.
    The addition of the Boseiju and 3rd Thoughtseize have been performing very well, along with the 3rd Lim-Dul's (let's be honest, that's the real reason to play black in this deck anyways).

The sideboard feels solid to me, but it's a sideboard, it can be tweaked as you see fit.

Land (21)
    2x Ancient Tomb
    1x Boseiju, Who Shelters All
    2x City of Traitors
    4x Flooded Strand
    5x Island
    4x Polluted Delta
    1x Swamp
    2x Underground Sea

Enchantment (4)
    4x Omniscience

Creature (3)
    3x Emrakul, the Aeons Torn

Instant (18)
    4x Brainstorm
    3x Cunning Wish
    1x Flusterstorm
    4x Force of Will
    1x Intuition
    3x Lim-Dul's Vault
    2x Spell Pierce

Sorcery (14)
    4x Ponder
    3x Preordain
    4x Show and Tell
    3x Thoughtseize

Sideboard (15)
    1x Defense Grid
    1x Echoing Truth
    1x Eladamri's Call
    1x Firemind's Foresight
    1x Flusterstorm
    2x Grafdigger's Cage
    1x Intuition
    2x Massacre
    1x Mindbreak Trap
    1x Ravenous Trap
    1x Release the Ants
    1x Surgical Extraction
    1x Trickbind

I've been playing a MonoU variant since I recently bought back into the game. It's preformed rather well at the LGS going 6-2 over the last two weeks.

Creature
    3 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn

Enchantment
    4 Omniscience

Sorcery
    4 Show and Tell
    4 Ponder
    4 Preordain

Instant
    4 Cunning Wish
    4 Brainstorm
    2 Impulse
    2 Intuition
    4 Force of Will
    4 Spell Pierce
    1 Flusterstorm

Artifact
    1 Lotus Petal

Lands
    1 Boseiju, Who Shelters All
    6 Island
    4 Polluted Delta
    4 Flooded Strand
    2 Ancient Tomb
    2 City of Traitors

Sideboard
    2 Grafdigger's Cage
    1 Noxious Revival
    1 Surgical Extraction
    1 Hurkyl's Recall
    1 Rushing River
    1 Wipeaway
    1 Trickbind
    1 Misdirection
    1 Pact of Negation
    1 Flusterstorm
    1 Release the Ants
    1 Eladamri's Call
    1 Firemind's Foresight

I've been pretty happy with the deck's performance overall. I used to play ANT quite a bit, so while some of the principals are the same, a lot of this has been a bit different. Unlike a lot of storm decks and S&S which can overwhelm an opponent through speed and redundancy, this deck wants to be patient. Often times against other would be control decks, waiting to cast Show and Tell using Boseiju, Who Shelters All is correct rather than trying to jam early. If you're coming from a faster/more aggressive combo deck, those instincts do not necessarily serve you well.

I'm likely going to make a few changes to the deck over the next few weeks. The first issue is that the sideboard is sub-optimal with too much redundancy. I would probably reconfigure it to something like:

Sideboard
    2 Grafdigger's Cage
    1 Noxious Revival
    1 Surgical Extraction
    1 Hurkyl's Recall
    1 Wipeaway
    1 Trickbind
    1 Mindbreak Trap
    1 Release the Ants
    1 Eladamri's Call
    1 Firemind's Foresight
    3 Thing in the Ice

I like the idea of bringing in a second win condition against decks that board out a lot of spot removal as it provides some insurance against Surgical Extraction and some of the traditional hate cards. Arcane Artisan seems okay, but I think it is a better fit in S&S rather than OmniTell because of the relative threat density. Not to mention that Artisan seems incredibly slow without Griselbrand. Additionally, Thing in the Ice will just win the game on its own, not requiring additional cards and it can more effective at stalling given that it has a toughness of greater than 3. A list also placed at the Enteral Weekend in Japan that looked interesting. One item of note is the sideboard did not have Release the Ants. Not sure this is correct, but it's interesting. It's worth mentioning that Release the Ants is not a deterministic kill unless you have Omniscience in play and either two Cunning Wishes in hand OR have Cunning Wish in hand with Split Decision in your deck or hand. Decklist is: https://mtgtop8.com/event?e=19908&d=328762&f=LE

Additionally, I'm considering cutting the MD Flusterstorm or possibly one Cunning Wish after watching Andrea Mengucci recent video playing the deck. While Andrea opted for Jace, the Mind Sculptor in the MD - I'm considering Search for Azcanta instead. Comparatively, without a MD way to protect JTMS, I'd rather have an enchantment that allows me to effectively Scry 1 during my upkeep for half the mana.

What's the role of main deck intuition? In regards to getting it with firemind's foresight. Like in what scenarios would I need to get a specific card (like emrakul) instead of another cunning wish? Thanks.

You might need an Show and tell or Omniscience

Bad idea, Surgical Extraction is omnipresent and the best possible answer to a resolved Intuition

Lim-Dul’s Vault is much better

Quote Originally Posted by Poron View Post
    Bad idea, Surgical Extraction is omnipresent and the best possible answer to a resolved Intuition

That is why you board intuition out game 2

Quote Originally Posted by Poron View Post

If SE is omnipresent, isn't it also the best answer to a resolved LDV? Wouldn't SE shuffle the deck countering the effect? I get that SE post Intuition is 'worse' but if there's an omnipresent card that opponents are likely to board in that shuffles your deck, relying on a card that only stacks your deck without drawing a card seems suboptimal post game 1.

Also, if I'm boarding out either LDV or Intuition, I'm more likely to wish for Intuition over LDV and the (b) just seems underwhelming.

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

Quote Originally Posted by TBreezy View Post
    What's the role of main deck intuition? In regards to getting it with firemind's foresight. Like in what scenarios would I need to get a specific card (like emrakul) instead of another cunning wish? Thanks.
    I'm not a big fan of the intuition myself...i rather have it in the SB to wish for.

LDV is better here.

Looks like this deck is big in Japan, placing both top8 (U) and top 16 (Ur+burning wish) @eternal weekend asia with 670 players. I like the top16 version because it has many strong cards with 2 md jace tms, 1 azcanta and 1 md pyroblast. It looks very resilient for long games. I would run 1-2 sb moon maybe, depending on meta, Idk.

W.R.T Surgical Extraction and Intuition, don't forget that if your deck has 2+ Emrakuls in it, you can actually use Intuition to counter Surgical Extraction by selecting 2 Emrakuls and any third card, triggering the reshuffle and gaining a card (albeit, likely an Emrakul). It's kinda like "build your own slightly cheaper Dismiss", but it does give you a bit of play against the more aggressive Snap-Surgical tactics.

Master has spoken again :P

http://series.magiccardmarket.eu/201...u-b-omni-tell/

Edit: If Mr Accart visits this topic from time to time - please would you explain your choices with the sidebard (and how to use them)? Thank you in advance :)
    Last edited by Ragdoll; 09-10-2018 at 05:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragdoll View Post
    Master has spoken again :P

http://series.magiccardmarket.eu/201...u-b-omni-tell/

Edit: If Mr Accart visits this topic from time to time - please would you explain your choices with the sidebard (and how to use them)? Thank you in advance :)
    I'm no Lejay, but I had been thinking of his build after seeing an iteration of it on MTGO, and I'll take a stab at the sideboard and maybe see how right I am if he comes in with some notes.

Maindeck: 60
    2 Underground Sea
    1 Snow-Covered Swamp
    2 Snow-Covered Island
    3 Scalding Tarn
    4 Polluted Delta
    5 Island
    1 City of Traitors
    1 Bloodstained Mire

3 Baleful Strix
    2 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn

4 Omniscience
    4 Force of Will
    4 Cunning Wish
    4 Brainstorm
    2 Lim-Dûl's Vault
    1 Intuition
    1 Duress
    4 Thoughtseize
    4 Show and Tell
    4 Preordain
    4 Ponder

Sideboard: 15
    1 Vendilion Clique (Clock and disruption option against combo)
    1 Surgical Extraction (Graveyard hate wish, can be sided in against fast graveyard decks)
    1 Snapcaster Mage (Recycles card draw/disruption for combo/midrange matchups)
    1 Slaughter Pact (Standard creature out to Wish for)
    1 Skeletal Scrying (Massive bomb against control)
    1 Release the Ants (Standard kill con)
    1 Noxious Revival (Standard remedy for discard, can be sided in against fast graveyard decks)
    1 Nightscape Familiar (Anti-resistor against Sphere/Thalia, stalls creatures)
    1 Flusterstorm (Standard protection spell)
    1 Flash of Insight (Value spells with card selection, sort of like a cross on Lim-Dul's Vault/Careful Consideration)
    1 Firemind's Foresight (Standard kill con)
    1 Fatal Push (Kills a creature, preserves Slaughter Pact as a Wish target)
    1 Eladamri's Call (Standard kill con)
    1 Cryptic Command (Standard bounce spell, more expensive than the usual Echoing Truth/Rushing River, but it can also be a value tool)
    1 Baleful Strix (Cycles/buys time against midrange)

As for what to side out, it depends on the decks. Duress is blank against creatures, you don't always need all the Emrakuls/Wish in the main, FoW/Vault/Intuition can all be trimmed against control (which Lejay really seemed to be teching to beat here), and the Strixes seem bad against combo.

What I find interesting here is that he eschewed more common choices like Boseiju, multiple Sol lands, and has only a lone bounce spell. In this case, I think the better discussion is examining the cards that didn't make the 75, as opposed to those that did.

Quote Originally Posted by wonderPreaux View Post
    What I find interesting here is that he eschewed more common choices like Boseiju, multiple Sol lands, and has only a lone bounce spell. In this case, I think the better discussion is examining the cards that didn't make the 75, as opposed to those that did.
    The list I had access to had ETruth as the 75th card over Strix#4.

Flash of Insight can help beat Surgical on SnT by exiling SnT. This is also part of the rationale for Skeletal Scyring. Both have quite a bit of play in them, but exiling stuff in your graveyeard is a decent upside vs a ton of Surgicals.

From talking with Lejay, he seemed to feel Boseiju wasn't necessary to beat control. IIRC, it was in the running for a 75th card.
    BZK! - Storm Boards

Been there, tried that, still casting Doomsday.
    Drawing my deck for 0 mana since 2013.

nidubuild
    Jan 2006
    Paris-France

After some 2 years not touching competitiveness (was only playing in the format in my signature and on mtgo every 6 months) a friend told me about this event near my house so I decided to work on the deck again. I felt the concept was good but completely disrespected and unplayed.
    The problem with the deck is that you will have trouble winning through the hand full of daze/flust/pierce the turn of the combo so after two days trying green (carpet of flowers) and red splash I decided in the last week of august to focus on Ub for discard, so that you can attack the hand early. I was also trying (especially for other splashes) ancestral vision + temporal mastery as a way to make people spend their counters before the combo turn (and if they don't that's ok) which was ok but not good enough.
    Eventually I realized the strixes I had in sb in the Ub version for tempo were much more main deck cards because everytime I considered them it was either "it's good enough to be in", or "it would not be bad but I prefer to keep X or Y main deck". Playing them maindeck also added a nice misdirection effect for unaware opponents (a guy told me he reshuffled two fows with brainstorm after putting me on grixis control). Saving time and life points in general (seize and LDV) is something for this deck.

The clique is here for control and combo. I feel a little low on discard main, I wanted 6, and I like to have a few bodies in the sb to win some games vs turbo surgical on show. I didn't play 6 discards maindeck because eveything else seemed more important. I added the third strix instead because whatever is the number of discard I want 4 thoughtseize. And 4 thoughtseize attacks your life total badly so I want at least 3 strixes. Having only 5 straight discard can be a plus when the opponent empties his hand easily and is in topdeck mode (thinking about reanimator) and that's also less non blue cards for fow that don't participate in the combo.

LDV is very helpful finding your combo without dream halls (too expensive to bypass taxing effects) but I don't want to see more than one per game and with strix saving you time I think two is ok.

One added bonus of playing strix main instead of sb is that I could put more instants sb. I wanted my wishes to be strong and play 4 of them. With discard it's not rare to be agressively attacking the hand of the opponent, after that you can improve your control of the game or make card advantage with a wish.

Snapcaster is there versus control and combo to buyback a discard or a show and tell if they play discard themselves.

Flash of insight in addition to being a good wish target that bypasses discard and counters, exiles show and tell in the graveyard post sb as emidln said. It digs super deep in a lot of games and it replaces the LDVs versus control as a card that can be found on firemind's foresight. It also allows me to keep intuition in. If I suspect or know about surgical in the opponent's hand I can still intuition for cantrip, cantrip, flash of insight or something similar that doesn't get hit by surgical.

Fatal push is a nice side in vs delver, I realized the times I would lost vs delver decks were with early delver(s) flipping quickly. It also is a good card for death and taxes. If you face a lot more D&T than delvers with death's shadow you can play disfigure instead (easier to hit prelate on 3). With a wish board you want to play this sb slot before 4th strix.

Cryptic is the standard bounce for the deck I think as chalice at 2 blocks both wincons. You could play rushing river but there are time where they play chalice at 3 and you could wish in response. Besides I like the extra options it provides as a wish target and it gives me another card to side vs control and some combo decks. Finally it is your only plan vs an opponent going show, omni, emrakul (if you landed your own omniscience with wish in hand).

4th strix in the sb isn't that necessary vs combo. I kept it because strangely I now keep all strixes vs control, you flood too much with so many cantrips so I cut lands. If you want to test something try it in this slot. Main possibilities should be misdirection (improving the match-up vs hymn decks while being a nice wish target), boseiju (good vs miracles but only vs miracles), 2nd flusterstorm, 2nd surgical, cremate (It's a plus to have this slot useful vs reanimator and cremate also provides value vs control decks with scm). I couldn't test properly commandeer and teferi's realm as they are bugged on mtgo. Teferi's realm may be too slow. You would like to improve chalice decks but I think it's better to bet on their inconsistency and try to not be too sensitive to chalice at 1 (I sb out preordains). You can often find the combo through a chalice at 1 with strix and LDV.
    Commandeer is on my mind because it is a silver bullet vs reanimator that can do things on a wish, but I don't think I would have wished often for it.
    If you want a wish target that saves you AFTER surgical hit show and tell the best one I found is rain of filth. Another one would be shallow grave if you can seize yourself with emrakul in hand, but that seems like a long shot. Rain of filth is a card that can be sided in vs death and taxes (thalia and port) and that can be wished for to fight flusterstorm or spell pierce.
    CLICK HERE FOR THE RULES OF A VERY FUN MULTIPLAYER CASUAL FORMAT
    You very likely can build it without spending any money, just out of what you already have.

An example with my (very large) list in a visual form

Quote Originally Posted by Lejay View Post
    If you want a wish target that saves you AFTER surgical hit show and tell the best one I found is rain of filth.
    Hitting 5-6 lands to cast Rain of Filth into Omniscience is both hilarious and amazing.

I was running a Volc to wish for Through the Breach for awhile. I think Rain of Filth to help vs taxing counters and as something that actually wins the game by casting Omni is better than a single Emmy hit.
    BZK! - Storm Boards

Been there, tried that, still casting Doomsday.
    Drawing my deck for 0 mana since 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by emidln View Post
    Hitting 5-6 lands to cast Rain of Filth into Omniscience is both hilarious and amazing.

I was running a Volc to wish for Through the Breach for awhile. I think Rain of Filth to help vs taxing counters and as something that actually wins the game by casting Omni is better than a single Emmy hit.
    I thinking I’m gonna have to start grinding this deck until I actually get to do that. That does sound incredible.

Lejay, did you end up missing the Sol lands at all? I’m curious if you wanted more than just the one-off for the combo turn.

nidubuild
    Jan 2006
    Paris-France

I started with two and someone I spoke with about the deck will test zero. I like just one. You want to control a bit what's going on before and select your cards before comboing. It doesn't make much sense to aim for a turn 2 combo turn with only 4 show and tell and 4 omniscience 2 emrakul. I would much rather align basic lands.
    CLICK HERE FOR THE RULES OF A VERY FUN MULTIPLAYER CASUAL FORMAT
    You very likely can build it without spending any money, just out of what you already have.

An example with my (very large) list in a visual form

Thread Information