Page 121 of 138 FirstFirst ... 2171111117118119120121122123124125131 ... LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,420 of 2748

Thread: [Deck] MonoU OmniTell

Apr 2009
    Milwaukee, WI

Re: [Deck] MonoU OmniTell

Quote Originally Posted by AnvilOfCrom View Post
    Congrats on your finish

Since i'm new to the Deck, what actually is Trickbind for? And against which decks do you board Engineered Explosives?
    Some people have cut Trickbind as it isn't super critical in the board, but here are some applications that I use it for.

I most commonly use it in the storm matchup. I've countered many Empty the Warrens and Tendrils with it by both wishing and by siding it in, but even then this isn't super often.

Occasionally you can use it in dealing with random hate cards. When your opponent drops a card in off of show and tell such as Oblivion Ring targetting your Omniscience, you can often just take a line to win in response to the trigger (Wish for Firemind's>Firemind's for Wish, LDV, BS>LDV for a high cost card on top>Wish for Release the Ants and win the game), but if they also have something like Leyline of Sanctity in play, then you have to deal with the O Ring trigger since you can't win right there. This line would be Wish for Firemind's>Firemind's for Wish, LDV, Brainstorm>LDV for Wish>Brainstorm into Wish(Now we have 2 Wishes)>Wish for Trickbind>Trickbind the O Ring trigger>Wish for Eladamri's>Eladamri's for Emrakul>Emrakul for the win. Alternatively, if your LDV is lucky or you already have a high cost card in hand, you can change your line to just ignore Trickbind by bouncing the Leyline and winning in response to the trigger on O Ring, but you need to get that high cost card on top after you resolve the brainstorm.

Sorry if that's confusing...hard to clearly type out these lines.

Honesty, the cases for Trickbind are pretty narrow, and can sometimes be avoided. It's sort of up to you if you think it's worth including, but if you're short of sideboard slots, it could definitely be cut.

Engineered Explosives is sort of a catch all. I've liked it against storm the most since they have Empty tokens and will often play out some of their artifacts since we run discard. It can also kill flipped delvers and Pyromancer tokens if timed right. This card could easily be something else, though.

Team Serious
    1000% Serious
    Seriously

Apr 2009
    Milwaukee, WI

I found this coverage match from Eternal Extravaganza 4 back in June if anyone is looking for more content on this deck. Akash Naidu is the pilot and looks like he's probably on or very close to my 75 from April.

https://www.twitch.tv/talesofadventure/v/73901664

Team Serious
    1000% Serious
    Seriously

Dec 2011
    Barcelona, Catalonia

Quote Originally Posted by AnvilOfCrom View Post
    Congrats on your finish

Since i'm new to the Deck, what actually is Trickbind for? And against which decks do you board Engineered Explosives?
    Thank you! Regarding your doubts, I think Sillysam71 addressed them perfectly. As he said, the initial idea was simply counter any trigger that could keep us from winning after deploying Omniscience (O-Ring, Flickerwisp, TKS, the elf that destroys an enchantment when comes into play, etc.), but generally, if you can Wish for Trickbind, you also can Wish for Firemind's Foresight and win in response to the trigger, so right now I maindeck Trickbind just as another counter when playing versus Storm.

I side in Engineered Explosives against decks with permanents . It can be a way to buy some turns when facing Tarmogoyfs/Deathrites/Delvers/Thalias/etc, and has the advantage of being unexpected. I hadn't thought about siding it in against Storm, maybe the 2 mana to activate it make it a little slow IMHO.

Right now, the anti-critters package of 2xToxic + 2xMassacre + 1xEE makes me very happy. I don't think I'll change any card in my 75 in the next weeks but who knows.
    Colorless is the new blue
    http://ooh---shiny.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by phazonmutant View Post
    I've been playing a very different take on OmniTell to good results. It's a UW Miracles-inspired build that I think addresses the inherent issues this deck has as a slow, 3-card combo deck that's vulnerable to lots of hate.

I posted a tournament report from my 4th place finish at the last CardKingdom 1k here: http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...CardKingdom-1K
    I've been enjoying playing 2xTop in the UB version of Omnitell, so when I saw this I thought I had to give it a spin, and took it to my local weekly. I'm very familiar with Omnitell, but I've never played a deck with the Miracles shell before. As a result, with that half of the deck I punted badly and repeatedly via various failing-to-name-known-cards-with-Predict or tapping-Top-to-reveal-not-a-Terminus schenanigans. When it was working though, it made the Show-and-Tell half feel great. Predict repeatedly felt like a (strictly worse in almost every possible way) Dig Through Time when it fired, which seems like something worthy of further investigation to me. Definitely going to keep running it to see if I can weed out the pilot error.

One question: is there a reason for Disenchant in the board rather than Wear//Tear? Is it just being able to kill an artifact from a non-Wastelandable land?

Quote Originally Posted by gRR!! View Post
    Thank you! Regarding your doubts, I think Sillysam71 addressed them perfectly. As he said, the initial idea was simply counter any trigger that could keep us from winning after deploying Omniscience (O-Ring, Flickerwisp, TKS, the elf that destroys an enchantment when comes into play, etc.), but generally, if you can Wish for Trickbind, you also can Wish for Firemind's Foresight and win in response to the trigger, so right now I maindeck Trickbind just as another counter when playing versus Storm.
    The main reason you play Trickbind is not to counter Flickerwisp, TKS, O-Ring etc. It's so we can win against decks that also play Emrakul (RtA doesn't work). Those matchups being; the mirror, Sneak N' Show, 12-post, Tin-Fins and Mono R Sneak.
    In the mirror, unless Emrakul gets extracted, both players HAVE to win with emrakul, which makes Trickbind super crucial for countering extra turn triggers.
    A lot of Sneak N' Show decks play Ashen Rider and MonoR always plays it. You can try to snipe it with a Thoughtseize but a good SnS player will save all his counter magic for that or leave it on top for a BS.
    MonoR also plays chalice so they can actually lock you out of the game completely if you don't have Trickbind.
    12-Post doesn't always play EtB triggers but I have seen and played against lists with Reclamation Sage, which again we HAVE to hit with Thoughtseize (and they play Top).
    I agree that we don't actually need Trickbind for DnT, Eldrazi etc. but in other matchups it is absolutely necessary. Cutting it is a mistake.

- KjU
    Last edited by KjU; 10-27-2016 at 07:49 PM.

Dec 2011
    Barcelona, Catalonia

Quote Originally Posted by KjU View Post
    The main reason you play Trickbind is not to counter Flickerwisp, TKS, O-Ring etc. It's so we can win against decks that also play Emrakul (RtA don't work). Those matchups being Sneak N' Show, the mirror, 12-post and Mono R Sneak.
    In the mirror, unless Emrakul gets extracted, both players HAVE to win with emrakul, which makes Trickbind super crucial for countering extra turn triggers.
    I was auto-replying me yesterday saying the Emrakul thing, but I was too lazy to finish the post So I agree 100%, I wouldn't play the list without the Trickbind.

Apr 2009
    Milwaukee, WI

The main reason you play Trickbind is not to counter Flickerwisp, TKS, O-Ring etc. It's so we can win against decks that also play Emrakul (RtA don't work). Those matchups being Sneak N' Show, the mirror, 12-post and Mono R Sneak.
    A lot of Sneak N' Show decks play Ashen Rider and MonoR always plays it. You can try to snipe it with a Thoughtseize but a good SnS player will save all his counter magic for that or leave it on top for a BS.
    MonoR also plays chalice so they can actually lock you out of the game completely if you don't have Trickbind.
    12-Post doesn't always play EtB triggers but I have seen and played against lists with Reclamation Sage, which again we HAVE to hit with Thoughtseize (and they play Top).
    I agree that we don't actually need Trickbind for DnT, Eldrazi etc. but in other matchups it is absolutely necessary. Cutting it is a mistake.

- KjU
    That's a good point. I didn't think about the matchups where we can't win with RtA due to their Emrakuls.

Team Serious
    1000% Serious
    Seriously

Trickbind doesn't actually help that much against Ashen Rider, does it? They can still exile your Emrakul when it attacks next turn.
    Also, chalice? Maybe I'm missing something here, but how does Trickbind helps against that?

Quote Originally Posted by genuine fugazi View Post
    Trickbind doesn't actually help that much against Ashen Rider, does it? They can still exile your Emrakul when it attacks next turn.
    Also, chalice? Maybe I'm missing something here, but how does Trickbind helps against that?
    They lose all their permanents and are forced to exile Emrakul. That leaves you with an Omni in play, which makes you a heavy favorite to win.
    Chalice shuts down Thoughtseize (played in UB) which is our only way to deal with Ashen Rider without Trickbind.
    Last edited by KjU; 10-27-2016 at 07:52 PM.

Hi, I decided to play this deck for the first time at a small tournament yesterday and went 2-2 with gRR's top 8 list. (minus boseijus, which I didn't receive in time). My matchups were:
    Infect (1-2). On the play, I TS T1 and see a hand of BS, GSZ, Berserk, Invigorate, lands. I take the GSZ. He plays a trop and passes, I cantrip and he brainstorms end of turn, to find a nexus. I die on his turn 3 (unable to find a counterspell or second thoughtseize or combo). Game 2, I thoughtseize him taking his only creature then combo on turn 3. Game 3 he is able to resolve a sylvan library through my FOW which gives him way to much card advantage, and I end up losing a counter war against lethal pump spell.

This MU feels very unfavored without any way to deal with their creatures, what's your opinion?

Match 2 I win 2-0 against 4 color (Abzan splash U) maverick, with quick combo kills. Match 3 against Eldrazi, I am quite mana screwed game 1 with only Island + Ancient Tomb and take a lot of damage from his T1 2/2 Endless 1, T2 3/3 endless one). I end up playing cunning wish into intuition for Show and tell (emrakul in hand) and show Emrakul. But at this point I'm at 3 life and he has 7 permanents and I end up losing. Game 2 he plays double Endless ones, and has a slow hand (I put him on several warping wail). I engineered explosives for 0, giving me enough time to find double show and tell + thoughtseize, and win through his 2 warping wails. Game 3 I keep a 1 lander with several cantrips, so I have to FoW his T1 Chalice and end up losing to a thorn of amethyst (can't find the 4th land in time).

Last match against Deadguy Ale, I lose game 1 to Inquisition + double hymn to tourarch, and win games 2 and 3. Don't know if I should board out the FoWs or the TS for this matchup (I sided in 2 Toxic Deluge and a Massacre to deal with his creatures - mostly afraid of the dark confidents).

Overall the deck was really fun and I'll definitely play it again (though I'll stay on miracles for eternal weekend). Lim Dul's Vault was really amazing even though it's sometimes awkward when you have very few cards in hand. I played a maindeck Jace which was very underwhelming (no creatures/no removal means I can't really protect him. Maybe a good SB card for grindy MU?).
    What do you think of card draw spells like Ancestral Visions for grindy matchups? I felt like discard can be very hard to come back from.

Dec 2011
    Barcelona, Catalonia

Quote Originally Posted by Kingbrago View Post
    Hi, I decided to play this deck for the first time at a small tournament yesterday and went 2-2 with gRR's top 8 list
    Hey Kingbrago,

Thanks for attributing me this version, but it's much more a Sillysam's creation than mine. I just tweaked it a bit :)

Regarding your pairings, I think Infect is a bad matchup. He should consistently be faster than us, and one creature only, if unanswered, will beat us in a couple of turns. I would side in EE, Flusterstorm and 2 Toxic Deluges for 2 Boseijus (useful but slow in this MU), 1 Preordain and 1 LDV (more on this later).

Same for Eldrazi; the pack of Chalices + Thorns + Wastes + Fast beating + TKS + Warping Wails is soooo difficult to overcome. Again, I'd board in EE, Deluges, and Massacres in the case he's splashing white (nothing too original as you can see ) instead of 2xBoseiju, 1 Preordain and LDV. But this is not a match I'm expecting to win too often tbh.

Lately, I'm finding myself siding out one LDV almost in every match I play. I usually don't want to draw more than one of them, and is a nice Cunning Wish target.

Surprisingly enough, I'm not suffering that much against discard; we have thoughtseizes of our own plus the FoWs+Pierces (and the Fluster you must always side in vs discard). In the last couple of small tournaments I've played, I went 2-2 and 1-1-2 due to some stupid misplay or abyssal variance (yesterday I lost vs Shardless BUG after resolving Omniscience and not drawing a simple cantrip/cunning/Emmy for like 6 or 7 turns). I'm having troubles against walls of counterspells, it seems that my opponents are usually having 2xFoW in hand. In fact I'm thinking about adding 2 Defense Grid to the sideboard, but I don't see what I should take off then. Or maybe I'm overreacting to variance, which I tend to do a lot.

Sensei's Divining Top as an additional cantrip or two (that sticks around) both helps vs discard and lets you more efficiently use cantrips and LDV. I would recommend playing it over do-nothings like the 3rd Emrakul and JTMS. I'd play either SDT, Probe, or extra lands before considering a 3rd Emrakul or the first JTMS.

If you are having problems with both velocity and permanent-heavy decks, I recommend Daze (so that you can play more spells per turn) over Spell Pierce.

You probably don't need to waste sideboard space on the 3rd Boseiju or Intuition. You should be playing Noxious Revival (which is excellent vs discard) and Slaughter Pact here. You might consider diversifying your removal suite some as well. Massacre isn't consistently castable vs DnT and they are naming 3 with Sanctum Prelate if they play it.

Also, you might consider playing some number of Ceremonious Rejection if Eldrazi continues to be an issue for you.
    BZK! - Storm Boards

Been there, tried that, still casting Doomsday.
    Drawing my deck for 0 mana since 2013.

Dec 2011
    Barcelona, Catalonia

Hey Emidln,

Quote Originally Posted by emidln
    Sensei's Divining Top as an additional cantrip or two (that sticks around) both helps vs discard and lets you more efficiently use cantrips and LDV. I would recommend playing it over do-nothings like the 3rd Emrakul and JTMS. I'd play either SDT, Probe, or extra lands before considering a 3rd Emrakul or the first JTMS.
    I've been considering playing SDT, I suppose I'll try it in the next tournaments. Anyway I disagree in seeing 3rd Emrakul as a do-nothing; I find it useful (after Omniscience) versus Death & Taxes, when Thalias will make difficult to win via RtA, and versus Miracles, to skip its counterwall after resolving Show and Tell to Omni protected with Boseiju. You can even skip Omniscience and Show directly Emrakul in some matches. I don't feel so comfortable playing only 2 Emrakuls.

If you are having problems with both velocity and permanent-heavy decks, I recommend Daze (so that you can play more spells per turn) over Spell Pierce.
    I don't really like Daze in this build; I feel that hinder our land development and I don't want to skip land drops. Anyway I'll try it for sure next tournament, given that I'm neither liking Spell Pierce that much.

You probably don't need to waste sideboard space on the 3rd Boseiju or Intuition. You should be playing Noxious Revival (which is excellent vs discard) and Slaughter Pact here. You might consider diversifying your removal suite some as well. Massacre isn't consistently castable vs DnT and they are naming 3 with Sanctum Prelate if they play it.
    The 3rd Boseiju is because I usually had a really hard time finding the maindecked ones versus Miracles. Anyway I'll probably drop it. Intuition is here for the Cunning to Intu to Show and Tell play; it's extremely slow (and dangerous if opponent plays Extraction) but I find myself playing it oftentimes. I like Noxious Revival though, I'm not playing it for space issues. Regarding Massacre, I don't see what it should be not castable; we can fetch our Swamp and play it for free (or paying 1 in case a Thalia is in play). And it has a CMC of 4, which is a number that Sanctum Prelate will not probably name. I'm happy with the 2 Toxic 2 Massacres removal suite.

Also, you might consider playing some number of Ceremonious Rejection if Eldrazi continues to be an issue for you.
    Is not that a little narrow?

Thanks for your contribution, is greatly appreciated!

Apr 2009
    Milwaukee, WI

I've been considering playing SDT, I suppose I'll try it in the next tournaments.
    I've loved having a Top in the deck. I actually think I'm going to cut a Preordain for a 2nd one. It's very powerful in any discard match, but I especially like it against storm since my games always go longer and you can hide counters or combo pieces from their discard spells.

I don't really like Daze in this build; I feel that hinder our land development and I don't want to skip land drops. Anyway I'll try it for sure next tournament, given that I'm neither liking Spell Pierce that much.
    Definitely give it a shot. I haven't had much issues with the land development as it usually trips up your opponent a little. I think it's pretty valuable that you can spend your first turn mana on a cantrip instead of having to hold it up and for a counter. I often hit stuff like early brainstorms and hymns or other cascaded cards. Also lets you hit creatures like Thalia unlike Pierce.

The 3rd Boseiju is because I usually had a really hard time finding the maindecked ones versus Miracles. Anyway I'll probably drop it. Intuition is here for the Cunning to Intu to Show and Tell play; it's extremely slow (and dangerous if opponent plays Extraction) but I find myself playing it oftentimes. I like Noxious Revival though, I'm not playing it for space issues. Regarding Massacre, I don't see what it should be not castable; we can fetch our Swamp and play it for free (or paying 1 in case a Thalia is in play). And it has a CMC of 4, which is a number that Sanctum Prelate will not probably name. I'm happy with the 2 Toxic 2 Massacres removal suite.
    The 3 LDV's in the main really help for finding Boseiju. It's pretty unlikely that Miracles will try to counter one early in the game and at that point, you're winning since they can't counter Boseiju. I don't feel the 3rd one is worth the sideboard slot.

I used to run a copy of Intuition in my board back when the list was mono-U, but it really is just way too slow. I haven't missed it and i welcome the open board slot. I much prefer Noxious Revival there. Being able to eot Wish for Revival and put whatever missing combo piece was discarded to your yard on top to win that turn is great.

Regarding Massacre, D&T plays more non-plains lands than they do plains, so it's not always a guaranteed free play. I'm still bringing the card in, though.

Eldrazi is def a very tough matchup. I'm more hoping to get lucky and just have it than anything. We can definitely win if we have the combo cards in hand and hit our land drops, but a hand full of cartrips sucks against their lock pieces. I also think Ceremonious Rejection is a little narrow and I don't want to make board slots for it, but then again I don't have a better option in place of it. I guess I'll just be crossing my fingers.

Team Serious
    1000% Serious
    Seriously

Undefeated hair
    Jan 2012
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by area View Post
    I've been enjoying playing 2xTop in the UB version of Omnitell, so when I saw this I thought I had to give it a spin, and took it to my local weekly. I'm very familiar with Omnitell, but I've never played a deck with the Miracles shell before. As a result, with that half of the deck I punted badly and repeatedly via various failing-to-name-known-cards-with-Predict or tapping-Top-to-reveal-not-a-Terminus schenanigans. When it was working though, it made the Show-and-Tell half feel great. Predict repeatedly felt like a (strictly worse in almost every possible way) Dig Through Time when it fired, which seems like something worthy of further investigation to me. Definitely going to keep running it to see if I can weed out the pilot error.

One question: is there a reason for Disenchant in the board rather than Wear//Tear? Is it just being able to kill an artifact from a non-Wastelandable land?
    Thanks for giving it a...spin. Heh nice pun. Disenchant over W/T is just because I expect that most matchups where I need a Shatter also play Wasteland. To be sure, W/T is better against Miracles. I don't think it's unreasonable to play either.

I'd just like the thread to know that I'm 21-6-1 in matches with this UW Omniscience / Miracles build. I think it might be the real deal. You can see me on the CardKingdom streams:
    https://www.twitch.tv/cardkingdom/v/...34?t=01h02m30s
    https://www.twitch.tv/cardkingdom/v/90324134?t=03h05m
    And Geek Fortress
    https://www.twitch.tv/geekfortress/v/90098043?t=02h06m
    https://www.twitch.tv/geekfortress/v...43?t=03h25m30s

Top is insane. Predict is dece, and plays great with Counterbalance. Terminus is like a get-out-of-jail-free card. And the Mentor plan in the board wins soooo many postboard games.
    Languages and dates for every set. For all you true pimps.

your match against alluren was hilarious with the most beautiful kill ^^

Apr 2009
    Milwaukee, WI

Played the UB version last night at a small 14 man tournament. I played the Dazes and swapped a Preordain for a 2nd Top, otherwise not really any changes. Here's a quick report.

Big Red 1-2
    G1 I Force his chalice but he has a second one. I think he's on dragon stompy and show in an omni with an LDV to win next turn, but he drops emrakul. I could have waited and didn't so I lost. G2 I get there after counter Sneak and he plays an Inferno Titan. G3 I can't keep up with his threats and run out of counters.

Dredge 2-1
    G1 I almost race him even after 2 therapy's, but he gets there the turn before I can win. G2 I'm fast enough being on the play. G3 he has a slow hand and when he starts going off I Wish for Rav Trap and blow him out.

Sneak and Show 2-1
    G1 he plays Show, he drops an emrakul and I drop omni. I have wish in hand, but wait since I also have a Thoughtseize. I top eot and find another Thoughtseize. Good thing since he had two Forces, then I win. G2 I can't counter enough Sneak Attacks. G3 I eventually go for a Show with force, Omni, Brainstorm, and Wish in hand. I also know I have Emrakul Wish on top from an LDV. It resolves and he drops Sneak while I drop Omni. He tries to counter Wish, so I brainstorm to see if he lets that resolve. It does and I put Emrakul in hand and leave Force Wish on top. I let him counter my Wish, then I cast Emrakul. Go to my next turn, draw Wish, attack with Emrakul. He Sneaks in an Emrakul and Griselbrand, but is at 6 permanents so it doesn't matter.

Eldrazi 2-1
    G1 he doesn't have a sol land t1, so plays cavern and passes. I play Land Top. He goes for Challice and I Daze. I win shortly after. G2 I get wrecked by double Warping Wail. I wish to get Pact to counter the first, but then he has a second, Wastes my Tomb, and I lose to Pact. G3 I thoughtseize a TKS, then Daze a second one after casting a Top. He gets out two Matter Reshapers and I'm stuck digging for my Show. He casts an Endless one for 7 and I know I need to win on my next turn. Top is Land, Land, BS I think. I draw the BS. I'm at 4 mana and know that my only out is for Show to be the 3rd card down. I cast BS and hot damn, there it is. I almost pooped myself. Easy winning after that.

3-1

Ended up getting 2nd based on record, but that doesn't really matter. Daze was real good and I still think it's right in the deck. Having two Tops in the deck was awesome. I saw them all the time, even had both out in a couple games even.

Team Serious
    1000% Serious
    Seriously

Feb 2016
    Rock Hill, SC

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Intuition and no SolLands/Petals seems pretty slow and the number of discard is pretty excessive. I would instantly remove the duress and a land for 4 Probes. Also: 5 Swamps and 4 boseiju for real?
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Feb 2016
    Rock Hill, SC

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    Intuition and no SolLands/Petals seems pretty slow and the number of discard is pretty excessive. I would instantly remove the duress and a land for 4 Probes. Also: 5 Swamps and 4 boseiju for real?
    Does seem like a lot of discard, but maybe that is what's required in the post-Sanctum Prelate/Recruiter of the Guard world (I suspect Taish was prepping for paper and hit a 5-0 online)????

Dunno about the 4 Boseju. They are abysmal in multiples.

Thread Information