Page 128 of 138 FirstFirst ... 2878118124125126127128129130131132 ... LastLast
Results 2,541 to 2,560 of 2748

Thread: [Deck] MonoU OmniTell

Re: [Deck] MonoU OmniTell

Quote Originally Posted by Karhumies View Post
    I agree that Grixis has access to a lot of toys, and toys are nice. However, the weakness of running a Grixis manabase is exposing yourself to a lot of nonbasic land hate. Wasteland, Blood Moon, Back to Basics, even Price of Progress. Death and Taxes in particular can make casting a SnT a nightmare with Wasteland, Thalia taxation and Rishadan port. Possibly even Vial activation for Flickerwisp in our upkeep to take out one of our lands if the game drags.

Also, casting a Burning Wish for SnT, then passing the turn opens us up to black spot discard spells, and if the opponent brings in a bunch of Surgical Extraction post sideboard, that can get very nasty very quickly.

Your success with a 3 color build will be very much local meta dependant.
    Have you tried the list?

I just watched Andrea Mengucci's latest video with MonoU OmniTell (yes, I am a bit late I know).

That made me wonder what the strengths of this version compared to the classic UR Sneak & Show builds are, besides the probably more favorable Death & Taxes matchup.

Quote Originally Posted by Cave View Post
    Have you tried the list?
    I used to play a grixis build of the deck with Thoughtseize and Burning Wish back at the time before Tresure Cruise was printed. Wasteland was hugely popular back then in RUG delver, BUG delver, BUR delver, DnT, etc. which made me quickly switch back to monoblue or super light single splash version. In the current meta, I have not tested the performance.

Mono U, ub and grixis played em all. Grixis feels the strongest but easiest to disrupt due to lands. This has been said so not going into it. Right now really leaning on ub with format more Aggro. The thoughtseize MB is a must imo to drop 2 counters to one in opponent hand so our force or fluster sufficient, take alluren etc to secure win before even casting show. Hasn’t been mentioned but with black splash get the SB card massacre. UW control hatebears D and T. Gets all those pesky 2/2 creatures as well and prot from u true name. My question is lim dul vs impulse. The no card to hand my issue from lim dul why I have intuition mb still and side out when worries about surg. impulse on upkeep is a fetch land for those ponders and bs that had one good card or less and no fetch to shuffle. Guess I’ll have to test it some before Cincy, should I be considering lim dul? New to board I was a 12 post player till top ban.

Feb 2015
    SF, CA (via London, UK)

Is anybody still playing U or Ub omni? Or has Sneak Attack just totally supplanted this as a strategy in this metagame?

Quote Originally Posted by cdnza View Post
    Is anybody still playing U or Ub omni? Or has Sneak Attack just totally supplanted this as a strategy in this metagame?
    [/personal blahblah]
    I'm still playing the deck online from time from time to time. I guess i'm just too in love with its fluidity and how elegant it feels to be able to play all your deck for free. Sneak and Show is indeed more powerful, albeit clunkier, and seeing a starting hand with 2 fatties makes me want to puke. That's why I'll never play our big cousin despite owning most of it. [/personal blahblah]

It's definitely underplayed, but it can work. In fact, it did recently put up some results on mid/big sized tournament, like a top2 on 86 players at MKM Rome.
    The main issue with omnitell is that dream halls is bad, and having just 4 enablers means you fill the deck with a lot of air (additional cantrips). All your hands are playable, but sometimes you are too slow.
    For this reason, i think splashing the deck is needed nowadays.

Ub gives you Thoughtseize, which is great, and lîm-dul's vault, which is ok. I don't really like card disadvantage.
    Ur gives you burning wish, which is generally great but meh against discard.
    Ubr gives you both seize and wish but meh manabase.
    Some people are playing Ur with both cunning and burning (7 wishes total) which I never tested but feels a bit clunky.

I guess you pick the version that suits you better and go for it, it definitely has the ability to do good. I won my local tournament with grixis omnitell some months ago; the month after i lended the exact same 75 to a friend who made it to top4. So, it's definitely playable in small sized tournaments and with some dedication you can do well in bigger events.

Quote Originally Posted by cdnza View Post
    I play old school omnitell with enter the infinite, a 2x Dream Halls and only 1x Emrakul. I never liked passing the turn with and Emrakul in play.
    But Show and Tell is dumb no matter what so I'm having a blast!

This guy has been doing well lately with a UR build using Cunning Wishes: 5-0'd a league, and 6-1 during last week's Legacy Challenge.
    https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/1017368#paper

And this Mono-U list got 8th at the SCG Classic last weekend (also using 4 Cunning Wishes):
    https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/1027974#paper

Figured this thread needed some love :)

Morning Everyone, I usually don't post here but I do play MonoU omni. I could easily see why a splash color would be nice, and Ur allows for some hose sideboard options, but if in red why not play burning wish?

My playgroup shares the cards and usually uses volcs for delver but if you have the option it really feels nice extending the wish board.

I also really like getting to play 4 Enter the infinite in my deck without having to draw an EtI or have one in my opener.

Quote Originally Posted by Kobra_D View Post
    Morning Everyone, I usually don't post here but I do play MonoU omni. I could easily see why a splash color would be nice, and Ur allows for some hose sideboard options, but if in red why not play burning wish?

My playgroup shares the cards and usually uses volcs for delver but if you have the option it really feels nice extending the wish board.

I also really like getting to play 4 Enter the infinite in my deck without having to draw an EtI or have one in my opener.
    Again, just a few post above. U/R Omnitell with 4 wishes got 2nd out of 90-ish players @mkm rome just one month ago. If you do play burning wish, you should move 1 show and tell to sideboard. You can play Time of Need instead of eladamri's call, and you should replace Ants with either Spiraling Embers or Tendrils of Agony .

Again, just a few post above. U/R Omnitell with 4 wishes got 2nd out of 90-ish players @mkm rome just one month ago. If you do play burning wish, you should move 1 show and tell to sideboard. You can play Time of Need instead of eladamri's call, and you should replace Ants with either Spiraling Embers or Tendrils of Agony .
    That's fair, I know Burning Omni comes in waves but I did not dig too deep to see the last time it was brought up. I'm not sure what the upside is of time of need over eldamari's call as I still play cunning wish along side burning wish.

That being said I swapped that spot for a coax from blind eternities and put Emrakul in the board. Sounds weird, I know, but along the same reasoning of EtI in the board. I really never want to see it until I want it. The fatty slot bumps up to a 1 of dream halls just to round everything out.

For comparison, my last wish build was:

//Lands
    4 Ancient Tomb
    5 Island
    4 Scalding Tarn
    4 Flooded Strand
    3 Volcanic Island
    1 Mountain

//Creatures
    1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn

//Inst. & Sorc.
    4 Brainstorm
    3 Cunningwish
    2 Spell Pierce
    4 Force of will
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    3 Impulse
    4 Ponder
    3 Show and tell
    2 Intuition
    2 Flusterstorm
    4 Burning Wish

//Encht.
    4 Omniscience
    1 Dream halls

//Sideboard
    3 Blood Moon
    1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    2 Boseiju, who shelters all
    1 Fireminds foresight
    1 Release the ants
    1 rush of river
    2 Red Elemental Blast
    2 Kozileks Return
    1 Show and tell
    1 Enter the Infinite
    1 Call from Blind Eternities

It's an interesting take.
    Personally, I wouldn't play seven wishes because it looks too clunky to me. Too much high casting costs maindeck, too many sideboard slots are used in the effort to make both wishes worth.
    I'd rather stick with preordain.

Also, Dream Hall's effectiveness in this list looks very limited. Very.
    • you don't play ETI maindeck and you can't cast Dream Halls->Remove Blue->ETI->Remove Blue->Omniscience (which was the real reason to include DH in first place)
    • you can't pitch anything to cast emrakul
    • it's not realistic to hope pitching a burning wish to cast another one. So dream halls + bw does nothing
    • DH+ Cunning Wish doesn't do anything either.

I'd rather skip the card and go for the extra emrakul. Most contemporary lists are playing 3, but I think you can do well with 2. The key concept in this choice is that it's harder (way harder) to dig for Omni/Emrakul than it is to get a show and tell, so you want to play as many copies as possible. Show and Tell->Emrakul sucks compared to what you can do with omniscience in play, but it's still a very strong play and can net you a win here or there.

If it was me, i'd run the following. Very close to Marco Pacilio's take.

2 Ancient Tomb
    1 City of traitors
    1 Boseiju, who shelters all
    4 Scalding Tarn
    1 Flooded Strand
    1 Polluted Delta
    1 Misty Rainforest
    1 Arid Mesa
    2 Volcanic Island
    4 Island
    1 Mountain
    3 Show and Tell
    4 Omniscience
    2-3 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    4 Burning Wish
    4 Force of Will
    2 Spell Pierce
    2 Flusterstorm
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Preordain
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    1 Intuition
    2-3 Impulse
    ------
    1 Spiraling Embers
    1 Show and Tell
    1 Enter the Infinity
    12 Stuff

Also, my personal view on this deck is that it's very good to play thoughtseize too. It puts a strain on our manabase, but I think it's worth.

It's an interesting take.
    Personally, I wouldn't play seven wishes because it looks too clunky to me. Too much high casting costs maindeck, too many sideboard slots are used in the effort to make both wishes worth.
    I'd rather stick with preordain.

Also, Dream Hall's effectiveness in this list looks very limited. Very.
    • you don't play ETI maindeck and you can't cast Dream Halls->Remove Blue->ETI->Remove Blue->Omniscience (which was the real reason to include DH in first place)
    • you can't pitch anything to cast emrakul
    • it's not realistic to hope pitching a burning wish to cast another one. So dream halls + bw does nothing
    • DH+ Cunning Wish doesn't do anything either.

I'd rather skip the card and go for the extra emrakul. Most contemporary lists are playing 3, but I think you can do well with 2. The key concept in this choice is that it's harder (way harder) to dig for Omni/Emrakul than it is to get a show and tell, so you want to play as many copies as possible. Show and Tell->Emrakul sucks compared to what you can do with omniscience in play, but it's still a very strong play and can net you a win here or there.

If it was me, i'd run the following. Very close to Marco Pacilio's take.

2 Ancient Tomb
    1 City of traitors
    1 Boseiju, who shelters all
    4 Scalding Tarn
    1 Flooded Strand
    1 Polluted Delta
    1 Misty Rainforest
    1 Arid Mesa
    2 Volcanic Island
    4 Island
    1 Mountain
    3 Show and Tell
    4 Omniscience
    2-3 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    4 Burning Wish
    4 Force of Will
    2 Spell Pierce
    2 Flusterstorm
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Preordain
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    1 Intuition
    2-3 Impulse
    ------
    1 Spiraling Embers
    1 Show and Tell
    1 Enter the Infinity
    12 Stuff

Also, my personal view on this deck is that it's very good to play thoughtseize too. It puts a strain on our manabase, but I think it's worth.
    First, to address the latter part. Discard is very good, but I'm fine with a cleaner mana base, I usually find myself ahead in a counter war and I am not too worried. Also with the all in on probe and tomb the lifeloss is not irrelevant against delver decks.

Dream halls is there for a "show and tell" effect. Sometimes, SnT is not enough alone, and it let's me cast something. I found it a lot more helpful when running mono-U but it has kind of stuck around with me. It IS card disadvantage, but when you pitch 2 cards to wish and cast intuition/EtI, you win on the spot. Getting to cast dream halls, pitch probe, cast omni is also a line that can close out games. Ideal no, could be cut, probably, but I've registered worse ideas in the past.

Similar line of thinking for Emrakul, I never want emrakul in my hand.... ever. I get that T2 emmy is sometimes enough, but I would rather win on the turn I SnT rather than hope my opponent doesn't do something weird. It can make some hands clunky, and effictively provides a mulligan in openers. But to be fair, I've only played monoU at larger events. I have never sleeved up 7 wishes anywhere except locals, and so I have very limited engagement with the deck in a general meta.

Feb 2015
    SF, CA (via London, UK)

Anyone thinking of dusting off Omni? The deck didn't really need GP all that much so seems like it might be a good time.

Picked up this deck again a couple of months ago when I got bored of playing ANT. Been running this list https://www.svenskamagic.com/deckbox....php?ID=223073
    And now I am thinking what should we replace Gitaxian Probe with?

With DRS gone, it seems like Reanimator is going to be more prevalent. Since Reanimator was always a rough matchup for this deck, idk if Omni-Tell is really well-positioned, even if it wasn't hit by the bans.

I did think of this deck with the ban announcement. I remember thinking Thoughtseize was way better than Probe, last time I played this deck. Here's the list I left off with a little over a year ago, and what I'll be starting with:

3 Ancient Tomb
    2 City of Traitors
    1 Flooded Strand
    3 Island
    1 Misty Rainforest
    4 Polluted Delta
    1 Scalding Tarn
    1 Swamp
    2 Underground Sea
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Cunning Wish
    3 Daze
    2 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    4 Force of Will
    3 Lim-Dûl's Vault
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Omniscience
    4 Ponder
    2 Preordain
    4 Show and Tell
    4 Thoughtseize

Sideboard:
    1 Defense Grid
    1 Dread of Night
    1 Echoing Truth
    1 Eladamri's Call
    1 Firemind's Foresight
    1 Flusterstorm
    4 Leyline of the Void
    1 Noxious Revival
    1 Release the Ants
    1 Slaughter Pact
    1 Surgical Extraction
    1 Trickbind

Quote Originally Posted by wonderPreaux View Post
    With DRS gone, it seems like Reanimator is going to be more prevalent. Since Reanimator was always a rough matchup for this deck, idk if Omni-Tell is really well-positioned, even if it wasn't hit by the bans.
    UB Omni with lots of disruption (with 10+ disruption between Force/Thoughtseize/Fluster/Daze) isn't necessarily bad against Reanimator, but the matchup is probably never going to be better than a coinflip without serious sideboard hate (like 3+ Leyline of the Void/Surgical Extraction). You need to cast Show and Tell and have Omni + Emrakul if you haven't Thoughtseized them immediately prior. This is going to be true, even if you Leyline them. On the upside, if you are playing with 10 disruption, it's usually pretty reasonable to actually just steamroll them on card quality thanks to LDV/Preordain vs their stupid fatties and combo pieces. Omni has fewer blanks than Reanimator since cards like Cunning Wish are serviceable once you hit the mid-game to find more hate.
    BZK! - Storm Boards

Been there, tried that, still casting Doomsday.
    Drawing my deck for 0 mana since 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by emidln View Post
    UB Omni with lots of disruption (with 10+ disruption between Force/Thoughtseize/Fluster/Daze) isn't necessarily bad against Reanimator, but the matchup is probably never going to be better than a coinflip without serious sideboard hate (like 3+ Leyline of the Void/Surgical Extraction).
    I put together a list today, and that's basically right where I'm at as far as mainboard disruption (4 FoW, 4 Seize, Fluster, 2 Daze), but I've got 2 Cages and a Trickbind in the board (alongside Noxious/Fluster). It feels like it could be pretty hit or miss even then, pretty excited to see how testing turns out, though.

Jul 2018
    Rochester, NY

How have you found Daze to be? I've had trouble justifying it because it seems like it either keeps us from getting to 3 (or 4 for Daze of 5 for Pierce) mana quickly, or is only useful after reaching enough mana that our opponents could easily pay for it.

Thread Information