Page 35 of 138 FirstFirst ... 253132333435363738394585135 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] MonoU OmniTell

Re: [Deck] MonoU OmniTell

I understand that having 1 pact of negation in your 60 makes sense since it is the combo protector on your winning turn; but why do omnitell decks play 2-4 copies? It's nice having counterspells, but isn't this card more of a force of will fodder during any other part of the game? I also know that it can pitch to dream halls, but at some point doesn't that make it seem like a replaceable card to anyone else? At least to not make it a 2-4 of.

The idea behind running lots of pacts is that it is really good when all the hate is reactive (instead of proactive like something like meddling mage). If all you need to do is counter a lot of spells the turn you go off then running smething like 4 fow and 3 pacts might be right. I have run lists like that but as you point out the card is dead until you go off so there is tension there. I have even tried running 4 pacts and 2 fow because the card disadvantage from pitch counters kinda sucks. That configuration didnt turn out too well against a string of death and taxes decks.
    So this weekend I had some pretty bad luck with mulligans and my opponent drawing the nuts but I was able to get in a lot of games with sideboarded spell snare and divert, 2 of each. With spell snare I countered, meddling mage, hymn SFM and a manamorphose. I diverted a hymn back to owner and won a counterwar over my pongify (on his mmage naming show and tell) by diverting his FoW back to divert. In short those cards did exactly what I wanted them to do. I will continue to run 2 snare and 2 divert in place of the 4 leylines. Hope all that makes sense.

Yup, if you say so then I'm gonna give it a try - thx for sharing the info:). About the pacts - the configuration between the fows and pacts depends on your meta. Sometimes the pacts are better than fow sometimes they suck. I guess you would have to play the deck for a while and then it would be all clear for you :)

Site Contributor

Jul 2007
    Europe

Is Quicken an enough powerful card that justifies not having 2cc spell for FF in game 1? I'm pretty sure that it isn't. Am I wrong? #SCG

Like a man bear, just more pig like
    Aug 2009
    Aarhus, Denmark

Quote Originally Posted by Deviruchi View Post
    Is Quicken an enough powerful card that justifies not having 2cc spell for FF in game 1? I'm pretty sure that it isn't. Am I wrong? #SCG
    It seems like a last minute testing slot. He probably forgot about having FF in the board, when he swapped it with Impulse (or whatever he was previously playing). Another likely cause, in the same vane, could be, that someone just handed him the deck, and failing to see the cause of playing the two-cmc slot, he swapped it.

So I have a question for the experienced Omni Tell players in this thread. Is there any match-up that you would ever side in both leyline of sanctity and defense grid? It seems a bit much to be sideboarding in (I generally am more conservative when sideboarding with combo decks). I ask this because my friend tends to side in both leyline and defense grid when playing against a deck with counterspells and discard. I told him I think he might be boarding too many cards but he doesn't think so. I can admit I maybe wrong about this but I wanted to get other players input first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysandros View Post
    I'm a crusty "old" player who would play nothing but Vintage, Legacy and 93/94 if I could, so I'm probably biased...but I'll never understand the draw to Modern. It's the Communist Soviet Union of MtG formats.
    In regards to Legacy:
    Quote Originally Posted by GrimoirePath View Post
    I dont know, I guess I like the anarchistic, outlaw format that allows everything and can thrive with or without the papal blessing.

Quote Originally Posted by NesretepNoj View Post
    It seems like a last minute testing slot. He probably forgot about having FF in the board, when he swapped it with Impulse (or whatever he was previously playing). Another likely cause, in the same vane, could be, that someone just handed him the deck, and failing to see the cause of playing the two-cmc slot, he swapped it.
    Good Morning,
    I am the owner of the Omni-Tell deck that Tyler was playing on Sunday. In regards to the question about the impulse and why it was not MD with the FF, the simple answer is that I forgot about it when I was putting the deck together (the foil version anyways). The Quicken was put in and when I was counting out the deck, I counted 60 and it was looking sharp. Also, when Tyler reg'd the deck, he also did not see that the Impulse was missing. We didn't realize until he was playing in a match and when he wished for the FF and searched the deck, he couldn't find Impulse and we joked about it for awhile. Tyler is going to talk about the deck in an article soon, and we are working on some changes to the 75. So as we come up with stuff, I will let you all know what changes we make.

Is Quicken mainly to S&T on your opponents turn? Curious for the inclusion.

I dunno if someone asked (propably someone did) but did you guys consider playing boseiju in the slot of d.grid? Can someone share a results maybe? I'm still thinking how to fight countertop ;/

Im taking this deck to Baltimore in a week. Any advice I should know?
    My main issue is that I got NO testing against UWR Delver and it troubles me that I didnt. Im assuming that I treat this match-up like I would DnT/Maverick with the hatebears, but with a little more emphasis on the fact they do run counters.
    Punishing Nic Fit

http://threekingsloot.files.wordpres...D265%26h%3D370

So with the new bear is it time to change the deck? How to fight another hate? What do you think :)

If this does in fact mean DnT becomes big again, then going over to a Anti-hate bear board (more bounce and Trickbind [I got someone to ragequit when trickbind'ing their Vial. YMMV]) seems like it would work.)

But I question something..... If DnT appears more, what decks will pop up to counter it? What are the match-ups for us for the decks that beat DnT? Thats always the question I suggest people look at as well....
    Punishing Nic Fit

I did actually try boseju. My meta is predominantly tempo so wasteland saturation is very high. Despite that I was able to use it to against rug delver to good effect once, it got wastelanded the other game without being tapped for mana. I don't think the risk of playing a tapped land is worth it. One of the biggest perks of the deck is not getting wastelanded.
    in regard to the new hatebear. no it wont have the an effect on whether I play the deck. Maverick/ DnT numbers are getting depressed because of nemesis and you already have to deal with meddling mage which is everywhere using similar means. That and wishing for eladamri's call is not effected by that bear at all.

Quote Originally Posted by kavaki View Post
    If this does in fact mean DnT becomes big again, then going over to a Anti-hate bear board (more bounce and Trickbind [I got someone to ragequit when trickbind'ing their Vial. YMMV]) seems like it would work.)

But I question something..... If DnT appears more, what decks will pop up to counter it? What are the match-ups for us for the decks that beat DnT? Thats always the question I suggest people look at as well....
    why will that printing affect the numbers of DnT, which are down due to nemesis. That card will have no effect on that matchup. The card will be good if DnT gets better for another reason. Unless nemesis can be dealt with, DnT numbers will likely continue to drop.

Quote Originally Posted by luudes View Post
    why will that printing affect the numbers of DnT, which are down due to nemesis. That card will have no effect on that matchup. The card will be good if DnT gets better for another reason. Unless nemesis can be dealt with, DnT numbers will likely continue to drop.
    Its hard for me to explain it because I quite suck with words, but I feel that people will see the card, see DnT wants the card and will play the deck moreso.

More copies of the decks in a room, means that one may win an SCG event, or at the very least do very well, and will start the cycle of other players jumping on the wagon.

Im in no way saying its a given, but its highly possible that this shiny new toy makes people want to pick up the deck.
    Punishing Nic Fit

@ Luudes: are you still running personal tutor maindeck? isn't it too slow/fragile to discard? I think I'll try to change my 3 PoN main into your 2-1 split of probes and p.tutor and I wonder what are your feelings about this card now :)

I got some play tonight going 2-1-1 (I was up a game vs. High Tide, and g2 went long. He won on extra turn #4 after spending a long time combo'ing out.... argh)

2-0 Jund
    1-1 High Tide
    0-2 UWR Delver
    2-0 Elves

So my main issue is that im kinda a little bit lost siding for the UWR match-up. I dont want to go to much into hatebear boarding as its still a tempo deck, but I know its a somewhat different animal than typical tempo by virtue of MM. I almost feel that all I'd want to bring in was defense grid.

Anything to help with these thoughts?
    Punishing Nic Fit

Quote Originally Posted by Ragdoll View Post
    @ Luudes: are you still running personal tutor maindeck? isn't it too slow/fragile to discard? I think I'll try to change my 3 PoN main into your 2-1 split of probes and p.tutor and I wonder what are your feelings about this card now :)
    so far I have not had too many good situations to describe but I can remember a few. On the play against a mud deck, T1 tutor for SnT with the rest in my hand, T2 win. Another time, I needed to topdeck vs a red deck and the tutor was the draw and it came one turn too short, the card it replaced was a preordain which might or might not(more likely) have gotten there, I did have 3 or 4 turns to draw out of it though. However, the card should make your goldfish faster. After the U/R version with burning wish, I was wondering why not run more personal tutor, it acts very simliar to burning wish if you want o increase SnT density. B/C of mana you likely wont cast SnT that turn if that is what you get when casting wish. Therefore P tutor and B wish are the same speed for SnT. wish puts it in hand and tutor on top of your library. I think top of the library is a safer place. It is also blue so you don't open yourself to duels. Wish gives you pyroclasm but that is just slow if you use it against aggro(where you just want to goldfish fast, see above) and if you use it to take care of hatebears, then again i prefer monoblue for pongify/ hybridization. I am currently running 2 personal tutors. Once I have more experience I'll think about it again.

Quote Originally Posted by kavaki View Post
    I got some play tonight going 2-1-1 (I was up a game vs. High Tide, and g2 went long. He won on extra turn #4 after spending a long time combo'ing out.... argh)

2-0 Jund
    1-1 High Tide
    0-2 UWR Delver
    2-0 Elves

So my main issue is that im kinda a little bit lost siding for the UWR match-up. I dont want to go to much into hatebear boarding as its still a tempo deck, but I know its a somewhat different animal than typical tempo by virtue of MM. I almost feel that all I'd want to bring in was defense grid.

Anything to help with these thoughts?
    For UWR I side 2 pongify and 1 spell snare on the play and 2 on the draw and 1 PoN. I board out 1 wish, 1 fow, 2 personal tutors (which might be preordains or a Md intuition perhaps) and a preordain. FoW switches place with PoN. The spell snares get mage and stoneforge. They run both out ASAP. SFM is important for their clock. If you counter their clock you usually get enough turns to replenish the cards you used to slow them down and hit lands. They run fluster and daze so hitting lands can sometimes count as virtual cards (counters to their taxing counters). hope this helps.

Thread Information