Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Message to all SCG grinders finding Show and tell dumb or just wanting to win

nidubuild
    Jan 2006
    Paris-France

Message to all SCG grinders finding Show and tell dumb or just wanting to win

I've just finished and posted a decent sized primer for the omniclash/omnimaniac decks in established decks. Let's put it simply, the deck has positive match-ups against almost the entire field.
    Maybe people will adapt by playing its few bad match-ups. but those are very vulnerable to grave hate or the same hate that hits omniclash/omnimaniac.
    Maybe people will adapt by playing a lot of hate. But I suspect doing so will be far too binding and targeted to allow those people winning enough overall against the field. There is also the fact that the deck fights hate pretty well and is vulnerable to few.

This deck isn't hulk flash. But whatever happens I think this will result in an unhealthy metagame.

The reason I write this message is the same reason I wrote a very dense primer despite the deck being quite underrated (at least it definitely was before BoM) and information about it being very limited compared to what I gathered. Like many players I don't like show and tell decks because I see very dumb players winning far more than their fair share with it, and the deck is of no interest for someone wanting to play a game of thoughts. At the GP I told most of my opponents that the main reason I worked on it and played it was to get S&T banned.

I almost joined the dark side. Hesitating the last few days about keeping information for myself and just having the advantage of being under the radar while having the best deck. But I prefer to get rid of show and tell as soon as possible and that's why I write to you SCG players.

WotC watches you and you're it's main ressource when it comes to deciding for legacy B&R changes. Survival era proved so. So I need you to realize what the best deck is as soon as possible and play it either just to win more or to serve the cause of getting S&T banned. Even if you don't like dumb decks you have to play that pile to improve the future of legacy.

And to people that will just never change deck and just add sideboard slots, don't forget grave hate. Because there will also be a lot more predators for omnitell variants.
    CLICK HERE FOR THE RULES OF A VERY FUN MULTIPLAYER CASUAL FORMAT
    You very likely can build it without spending any money, just out of what you already have.

An example with my (very large) list in a visual form

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Re: Message to all SCG grinders finding Show and tell dumb or just wanting to win

Post the primer/link to the primer so we can see your testing results.

Omni is pretty good, I'll admit.

-Matt

Re: Message to all SCG grinders finding Show and tell dumb or just wanting to win

they have to ban Show and Tell. all the rest is fine. they still have Hive Mind and Dream Halls to hardcast and win instant speed the same.

just ban Show and Tell, please

Lejay, what you did with the deck is ... at the very least ... huge. I know that you worked hard on the list.
    That's important to remind that it's not the first time Lejay is showing us that he's a brillant deck builder beside being a brillant player, see Doomsday deck last year at the BoM.

Recent results are very good reasons to believe what you're reporting here, I just fully agree with your post and I strongly hope it will be useful & followed by people.

cheers (and congrats for the work on the list).

Apr 2013
    France

I can't agree more with Lejay. Let's do this !

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Im not sure how I feel about trying to get SnT banned. I hate the card but meh. But I will say that if there is any deck that is built to really bust it in half, that mono blue deck is pretty nasty. If I were looking to take down a tourney I would be building that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Site Contributor

Mar 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA

Lejay has made a habit of producing the best configurations of Tier 1 decks, so I wouldn't just dismiss his argument here.

SNT is just a dumb card. Yes, there are drawbacks, and yes there are counters to the strategy. I just think that a 2U ritual that adds 15 or 4BBBB to your mana pool shouldn't be part of this format. The problem as already pointed out is that most veterans of the game don't really seem to enjoy playing the deck because it tends to be a very linear strategy and winning with it feels somehow unsatisfying.

Cobra Kai Sensie
    Oct 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Im not sure how I feel about trying to get SnT banned. I hate the card but meh. But I will say that if there is any deck that is built to really bust it in half, that mono blue deck is pretty nasty. If I were looking to take down a tourney I would be building that.
    If the deck is good enough to get S&T banned it is what it is. At the same time I've definitely heard people say they broke the format before and it's rarely true, especially if the format has time to adjust to a new strategy.

He definitely caught people off guard with his deck, I mean everyone was aware their was a S&T deck aside from dropfatty=win.dec but definitely the first thought when I see an opponent play S&T is "here come the Emrakul."

I will say the deck is obviously strong to have top 8'd such an event, at the same time there are a lot of "dead" cards until you resolve S&T or Dream Halls and you still need certain cards beyond that point to effectively make the combo work.

So while the many filter effects definitely give you a lot of game the deck is still effectively a 3 card combo deck in most real game situations, and we will have to wait and see how that works out in the end. The worst thing about S&T right now is that it effectively has 2 different ways to win the game which are hated out by 2 completely different things.
    big links in sigs are obnoxious -PR

Don't disrespect my dojo dude...

Sweep the leg!

Nov 2007
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by dontbiteitholmes View Post
    The worst thing about S&T right now is that it effectively has 2 different ways to win the game which are hated out by 2 completely different things.
    And this was already when Hivemind was the best Show and Tell deck. I have no doubts that it's a strong deck. That's what eternal formats tend to spawn. Still, powerful decks come and go.
    Some of my friends sell records,
    some of my friends sell drugs.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by wcm8 View Post
    The problem as already pointed out is that most veterans of the game don't really seem to enjoy playing the deck because it tends to be a very linear strategy and winning with it feels somehow unsatisfying.
    The point is that we have now reached the anticipated threshold of S&T (which even Griselbrand did not manage to reach) which turned the Trinity of S&T-DreamHalls-Omnicience into a very resiliant auto-pilot-deck on monkey-Level. Our local S&T pilot even increased the redundancy with 6 Sol Lands and 3 FoW/ 3 Intuition maindeck (chop Preordain afaik) to make most matchups a cakewalk, especially with Leylines posboard.

For myself, as an experienced TES pilot, the bare NEED to lucksack against this deck to actually win, is a joke. Sitting behind a Wall of Counters additionally accessible via 3 Wish and 3 Intuition + Leyline while still being able to drop turn 2/3 S&T (Intuition again) is disgusting. I noticed though testing that even Xantid swarm tends to be too Slow as a meaningful Solution to that.

I hate that WotC did to S&T with Emrakul, Griselbrand, Omni and EtI
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

pathetic thread is very very pathetic.

regarding the point of it, the deck building skills and the playing skills aren't concerned by my remark.

Cobra Kai Sensie
    Oct 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Hopo View Post
    And this was already when Hivemind was the best Show and Tell deck. I have no doubts that it's a strong deck. That's what eternal formats tend to spawn. Still, powerful decks come and go.
    Yeah that's exactly what I was thinking. Seems like everyone swore up and down Hive Mind was the end all then a couple of weeks passed, Stoneforge added tech like Spellstutter Sprite and a couple people added Angel's Grace to their SBs and the deck virtually fell of the face of the earth.
    big links in sigs are obnoxious -PR

Don't disrespect my dojo dude...

Sweep the leg!

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Hopo View Post
    And this was already when Hivemind was the best Show and Tell deck.
    Unlike previous incarnations of S&T, none of this deck's gameplans involves just dropping a fatty and watch your opponent get rid off it. Main reason why "old" S&T was super dumb. No self-respecting player would actually want to put Emrakul into play on turn two...only to see his opponent easily handle it.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Quote Originally Posted by ryO! View Post
    pathetic thread is very very pathetic.
    regarding the point of it, the deck building skills and the playing skills aren't concerned by my remark.
    Not to agree is not a problem at the moment you explain why.
    The opening post provides both argumentary and relevant empirical results. So what is pathetic is to say "pathetic thread is very very pathetic" without more explanation, it is a patent lack of reasonning or respect for the debate.
    Next.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Unlike previous incarnations of S&T, none of this deck's gameplans involves just dropping a fatty and watch your opponent get rid off it. Main reason why "old" S&T was super dumb. No self-respecting player would actually want to put Emrakul into play on turn two...only to see his opponent easily handle it.
    "Old" S&T was "Super dumb" putting creatures into play?

How you call having a single card negating all costs completely (omni) and a single card drawing your deck (Enter the infinite) then?
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    "Old" S&T was "Super dumb" putting creatures into play?

How you call having a single card negating all costs completely (omni) and a single card drawing your deck (Enter the infinite) then?
    You missed the point. This is not about defending "new" S&T as in any way more skilltesting than "old" S&T. It's about old S&T being much more fragile when 1/2 of its plan was winning by dropping Emrakul. High risk, high reward, super dumb.

New S&T is more straightforward and I would say the hardest part about the deck could actually be sideboarding correctly. Apart from playing your cantrips right ofc.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Site Contributor

Dec 2011

Once people figure out how the deck works and learn the match-up it will lose it's power. As far as I know Kroasan Grip, Surgical Extraction, targeted discard, counters etc were all still very common in this format. The deck appears to be slightly more resilient, than other S&T deck atm, in certain aspects but also has similar weaknesses, maybe even a few more due it being a 3+ card combo. If in 2 months this decks wins more often off of a resolved S&T or Halls than other similar decks then we can say this is the best version, and if it beats every deck in the format then we can say it's the best deck. I have my doubts but I will play the deck and find out.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

The weakness are Enter the Infinite and Cunning Wish. It's still hard to get a hand on those

Join us at Facebook!

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

There are answers to the deck, but the main problem consists of the fact that if you're JUST playing counters and/or discard and expecting to win, you're going to be shit out of luck. Oh wait, just like Survival. If you autopilot, they'll autopilot on top of you.

To play a good game against it, the following cards are good ones (especially if you're backing it up with counters and/or discard):

Gaddock Teeg
    Golgari Charm
    Ethersworn Cannonist
    Silence/Orim's Chant
    Krosan Grip

However, that's not a great list of answers. Mostly it involves killing Omni in response to Enter the Infinite. Once they Enter, you're done.

-Matt

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

Killing Omni in resp to EtI its useless mostly like playing chant in resp - it just gives a one more turn - it doesn't stop them.

The most useful things vs Omni Halls:
    - Taxing effects (Thalia/Trini)
    - Surgical/Extripate vs Intuition
    - Gaddock Teeg with protection/Pridemage/Aven mindcensor (until they find Cunning Wish to find Emrakul)
    - Maddling Mage on S&T/Halls
    -Discard until Leyline

Cards that gives a turn after S&T:
    -Ethersworn Canonist
    -Silence
    -Orim's Chant

Playing Aluren and go off in resp to EtI / Cunning Wish :].

Blue:
    A lot of hard counters with discard.

Thread Information