Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes to the planeswalker uniqueness rule

Dec 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA

Changes to the planeswalker uniqueness rule

While the update to the legend rule has some implications for the format, the change to the planeswalker uniqueness rule is HUGE. Unless I'm misinterpreting this... No longer will my Jace be a 4 mana "kill Jace" spell. You can -2 your Liliana, then play a new one and +1 her to have a 4 loyalty Liliana! Discuss?

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazin...y/feature/248e

Also note the changes to the sideboarding rules...

shallow
    Aug 2010
    denver, co

Re: Changes to the planeswalker uniqueness rule

This seems really bizarre. At first glance, I don't think I like it, but I need to think about it more. Seems like Jace may have just gotten a lot better since there are fewer ways to kill him now. And not that it really matters that much, but Jace Beleren just got a lot worse...
    Find me on Twitter: @beanaman

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    His graveyard was a fucking encyclopedia of countermagic.

Vendillion Clique approves of this rules update. Jace/Liliana grind wars somehow found a way to become grindier...

Geist, Emrakrul, Karakas on each side of the table... let the chaos begin~!

If you think DnT mirror is bad right now, it'll get worse after this.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

So awful... This is just terribad. Like why... This just breaks cards in half. Now you can play 4 Gaeas Cradles in Elves. Tap my Gaeas cradle for 4. Play my Land for turn which is a Gaeas Cradle. Tap for 4 more. Am I doing it right? Tap my Mox Opal for Black. Play Mox Opal, Tap my new Mox Opal for red. Hooray Magic is hard! Now whats the downside to playing a bunch of copies of legendary creatures again?
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Dec 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    So awful... This is just terribad. Like why... This just breaks cards in half. Now you can play 4 Gaeas Cradles in Elves. Tap my Gaeas cradle for 4. Play my Land for turn which is a Gaeas Cradle. Tap for 4 more. Am I doing it right? Tap my Mox Opal for Black. Play Mox Opal, Tap my new Mox Opal for red. Hooray Magic is hard! Now whats the downside to playing a bunch of copies of legendary creatures again?
    Holy shit, Mox Opal got way better with this update. It literally has no downsides now.

May 2008
    Newtown, PA

You can still only have one of a legendary permanent on your side. Your Cradles will both die. At least that's what I'm assuming if it's still a state-based effect.

If you're playing the Elves mirror, however, your Gaea's Cradle won't kill your opponent's.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Your Mox Opals and Gaeas Cradles just become Pseudo rituals
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Darksteel View Post
    You can still only have one of a legendary permanent on your side. Your Cradle's will both die. At least that's what I'm assuming if it's still a state-based effect.

If you're playing the Elves mirror, however, your Gaea's Cradle won't kill your opponent's.
    No. You choose which cradle dies and you keep one

Edit: MEGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADEUS

Edit edit: Phyrexian Tower + Bloodghast doesn't sound miserable, either, but it ain't no 99 mana Gaea's Cradle.

Gaea's Cradle just broke in half.

Elves: "Tap my Cradle, play 8 more elves, play Cradle No. 2, keep it, tap it."

Rest of the rules are whatevs – at least they're all better than the original Legend rule, so there's that – but I don't like the land rule. It looks like they were going for "intuitive" again, with intuitive meaning "easy for new players to understand." I feel like it's going to be another one of those rules where you explain it to some mid-level player, and he or she will be like, "But as far as the game cares, it's a new permanent, why doesn't it get to apply?" and you'll have to answer, "Because there's another rule in a totally different section of the comp rules that's meant to make this game more intuitive. FML, right?"
    The proper plural must be "hall of fames." You wouldn't say Halls & Oate, now, would you?

May 2008
    Newtown, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    No. You choose which cradle dies and you keep one
    Oh, so you can tap one for mana, play another, sac the tapped one and tap the new one? Wow. That's pretty damn good.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Darksteel View Post
    Oh, so you can tap one for mana, play another, sac the tapped one and tap the new one? Wow. That's pretty damn good.
    Its stupid is what it is. Jace Races sound awful.

Me Fate seal you my jace is at 5
    You Fate seal You my jace is at 5

Whoever topdecks a bolt first wins!

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

These rules are terrible. It completely nullifies the entire purpose of having something be legendary. 2 legendary permanents should never be in play at the same time regardless of who's side of the table they are on. I feel like it would have almost been better to just not allow the second legendary / planes walker card to enter play or be cast. 2 jaces should never be in play at the same time and you should never be able to cast another jace while you have one in play...clearly he is already fighting for you in one form...

This rule definitely favors the original caster. where as the old rule kept things balanced.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Splitting time between Legacy, EDH and Alterations
    Sep 2007
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Cradle & Opal just got ridiculous. Elves and storm improved? Can an artifact heavy storm combo deck work now? Petals, LEDs, Chrome Moxes, Opals + Top enough?

Also it's funny if the Show And Tell Player puts down an Emrakul and the other guy has a clone for it. But the opponent gets to bash first. LOL!

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by apple713 View Post
    These rules are terrible. It completely nullifies the entire purpose of having something be legendary. 2 legendary permanents should never be in play at the same time regardless of who's side of the table they are on. I feel like it would have almost been better to just not allow the second legendary / planes walker card to enter play or be cast. 2 jaces should never be in play at the same time and you should never be able to cast another jace while you have one in play...clearly he is already fighting for you in one form...

This rule definitely favors the original caster. where as the old rule kept things balanced.
    No stopping new ones from being cast was the old rule and whoever gets theirs first really wins. Play my jace? Good luck killing it.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by ivanpei View Post
    Cradle & Opal just got ridiculous. Elves and storm improved? Can an artifact heavy storm combo deck work now? Petals, LEDs, Chrome Moxes, Opals + Top enough?

Also it's funny if the Show And Tell Player puts down an Emrakul and the other guy has a clone for it. But the opponent gets to bash first. LOL!
    I dont think clone works like that if I remember correctly... But hell you can just plop in your own griselbrand / emrakul and smash them into each other

I think the new rules are "better," but they certainly don't work well with a lot of existing cards. I wouldn't be too surprised if Gaea's Cradle got banned as a result of this.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

They are horrid. Now you dont have to care what your opponent is doing and you dont get punished for making a play mistake of casting the same legend twice.. How is this a good rule again?

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Speculation says that the next block "Theros" is going to be legend-heavy, hence the change.

Both sides can now use JMS at the same time? Oh boy, those control mirrors are going to be fun!

Show & Tell mirrors getting a strange dynamic now as well. If both players drop an Emrakul, they get to swing with their copy first due to the lack of haste.

The Cradle thing is interesting. Should also be relevant for Enchantress with Explorations in play and Serra's Sanctum.

Not mentioned so far, but also highly relevant: Jitte wars

Are there any Legacy-playable legends with good CIT abilities?

Non-artifact, Non-land, Legendary permanent doesn't have haste => price goes down
    Legendary permanent has haste or Legendary artifact or Legendary land => price goes up

Thread Information