Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes to the planeswalker uniqueness rule

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Re: Changes to the planeswalker uniqueness rule

Yeah Jitte just became reall really good
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Taobotmox

Sep 2005
    Germany

No reason to be dramatic. The rules change is fine. I think it is an improvement.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Dark Depths. Play another dark depths. Get a 20/20. Profit? Fuck this rule change. So Awful

Edit: Sorry this doesnt work. NVM

Thespian Stage copies Dark depths. Then because it has no ice counters you get a 20/20
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Taobotmox

Sep 2005
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Dark Depths. Play another dark depths. Get a 20/20. Profit? Fuck this rule change. So Awful
    Why would playing another one remove the counters?

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

How exactly does this remove the required 10 ice counters? This doesn't work.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Amended I misread the cards for some reason. Still works with Thespians stage though

shallow
    Aug 2010
    denver, co

Quote Originally Posted by twndomn View Post
    Non-artifact, Non-land, Legendary permanent doesn't have haste => price goes down
    Legendary permanent has haste or Legendary artifact or Legendary land => price goes up
    Pretty sure the price of Geist is going to go up...
    Find me on Twitter: @beanaman

His graveyard was a fucking encyclopedia of countermagic.

They are horrid. Now you dont have to care what your opponent is doing and you dont get punished for making a play mistake of casting the same legend twice.. How is this a good rule again?
    This is a terrible post. First of all, you get punished by having own of your legends killed. Second, the overall point doesn't even make sense. Changing the rules on damage stacking meant that you didn't get punished for not doing something counter intuitive, but the actual result was significant improvement in terms of ease of understanding and there was almost no change in the overall complexity level of combat at high levels of play. This kind of post comes up incredibly often after every rules change because people are upset they will no longer get as many free win against new players from something that isn't immediately obvious, even if the actual effect on serious gameplay is unclear.

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

looks like jace, jittes, vendillion cliques are in for a price spike

Splitting time between Legacy, EDH and Alterations
    Sep 2007
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Does Dark depths+ Thespian stage thing really work now? That would be ridiculous! You can run Dark Depths, Hexmage and Thespian's stage! You can also run land search things like expedition map to find both Dark Depths and Thespians Stage. It's a totally colourless combo + tutor.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by dschalter View Post
    This is a terrible post. First of all, you get punished by having own of your legends killed. Second, the overall point doesn't even make sense. Changing the rules on damage stacking meant that you didn't get punished for not doing something counter intuitive, but the actual result was significant improvement in terms of ease of understanding and there was almost no change in the overall complexity level of combat at high levels of play. This kind of post comes up incredibly often after every rules change because people are upset they will no longer get as many free win against new players from something that isn't immediately obvious, even if the actual effect on serious gameplay is unclear.
    The fact that now I can play a jace, then my opponent plays a jace and we can have a Jace race and smash our vendillion cliques together is awful. Not only is it awful from the gameplay perspective, from a storywise perspective (which I dont give 2 shits about but they still push it) it also makes no sense. How is jace in two places at once?!

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by ivanpei View Post
    Does Dark depths+ Thespian stage thing really work now? That would be ridiculous! You can run Dark Depths, Hexmage and Thespian's stage!
    And Crop Rotation finds all of your combo pieces ;)

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Thespian Stage copies Dark depths. Then because it has no ice counters you get a 20/20
    This sounds actually pretty sexy. Maybe one should grab some copies while they're still cheap.

Did 4X lands just get a new wincon?

Edit: Living Wish can grab it as well, without the double black requirement of Hexmage. Now you can play the combo with blue instead of black for better protection.

Taobotmox

Sep 2005
    Germany

The fact that now I can play a jace, then my opponent plays a jace and we can have a Jace race and smash our vendillion cliques together is awful. Not only is it awful from the gameplay perspective, from a storywise perspective (which I dont give 2 shits about but they still push it) it also makes no sense. How is jace in two places at once?!
    How are there 2 Jaces and then both die when they see each other? Arguing with story never gets very far.

From a gameplay perspective I think it is an improvement. More choices, more interaction are good in general. And in the Jace war specifically it gives you a better chance to catch up.

The Thespian thing is an issue, though.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

At least a way to win before Turn 8000927398 I guess.

T1 Mana bond, dump darkdepths, Thespians stage, 2 lands. Eot make a 20/20 T2 Kill you? LULZ

Psycho Crusher
    Jan 2010
    The 'Jing

This is...an interesting change.

Not saying it's good or bad, I just didn't expect this. Maybe it makes more sense on some level to newer players?
    A book about the dark side of Legacy: "Magic: The Addiction" // Conversations with Magic players: "Humans of Magic"

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Tao View Post
    How are there 2 Jaces and then both die when they see each other? Arguing with story never gets very far.

From a gameplay perspective I think it is an improvement. More choices, more interaction are good in general. And in the Jace war specifically it gives you a better chance to catch up.

The Thespian thing is an issue, though.
    Im just saying. Having a jave/ Liliana on board of both sides seems... Fun... Not. I just hate that this was a rule that was probably made in response to newer players probably compaining about how their legends get killed off so easily... Also Sigarda just became super impossibly difficult to deal with FWIW.

Dec 2011
    USA

Maybe it's not fair to say since I somehow don't typically play stuff with Legendary/Planeswalkers, but I like the new changes overall.

When I first started playing magic, I know I at one point probably asked myself "Why is the Legendary rule based on the battlefield, howcome it's not just based on my side of the board?"
    Primary legacy deck High Tide primer

Undefeated hair
    Jan 2012
    Seattle, WA

This is really interesting. Cradle and Mox Opal definitely get better as people have mentioned. The only decks I can think of that want to play multiple Cradles are Elves and Cheerios, both of which also just got a new toy in Beck. I would imagine there's some renewed interest there.
    Mox Opal is generally only played in Cheerios and tall-men based SI lists (which aren't the default build at the moment), as well as Affinity of course. It obviously gets better, but I don't really see it affecting any deck significantly other than Cheerios.

Other situations where the legend rule is applicable are the Show and Tell mirror - it used to be that you never wanted to be the one to play Show and Tell because they either legend rule your monster or they got to swing first. Now it's not quite as bad...but you probably still don't want to be the one casting Show and Tell.
    Another relevant interaction is Karakas. Reanimator has played a couple in the board as a 0-mana Vindicate for Karakas, but that doesn't work anymore. That actually hurts their boards pretty significantly. Miracles helped by this though because Karakas + Mom + Teeg is no longer a hard lock.

The other major change is the PW Uniqueness rule. This one seems a lot more subtle. So control decks typically come down to Jace battles, and right now, the first person that can stick a Jace and not have it dead on board is in a really good spot. They've already gotten an use out of it and even if the opponent can immediately fire back and play their own Jace, being down a Jace and a turn puts them on the defensive potentially for the rest of the game. This change really helps nullify that tempo advantage so sticking a Jace should be a lot less of a GG in the control mirror (although untapping twice with Jace is still pretty hard to come back from).
    On the other hand though, that makes Jace much harder to kill. It's now so much more important to run creatures in your control deck in order to kill Jace. Clique's stock has gone up (and it was underplayed to begin with).
    I imagine we'll see even more of Liliana played as a 4-of since now you can cash a second one in for an immediate edict.
    Languages and dates for every set. For all you true pimps.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

This not only dumbs it down so the downside to being legendary is even less, but now the interaction with your opponent is lessened as well. Who cares if they have a walker? I can still play mine! They have a geist of saint traft?! LETS RACE!

Thread Information