Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Speculate: What prices will go up and what will go down?

Storm Trooper
    Jun 2012
    Bremen, Germany

Re: Speculate: What prices will go up and what will go down?

Quote Originally Posted by Gheizen64 View Post
    That would be unfortunate. Cradle is really one of the most iconic cards... If elves come back in full force i'll dust off my Lava Darts i guess.

Emmy's going to go down a bit. SnT him into a Clone will be the worst thing ever.
    Thats not possible. The Clone can't copy Emrakul if both enter the battlefield through the same SnT.

By giving predictions on how these cards might change in price your subtly expressing your consent on how they are inevitably getting more expensive whereby your making it further easier to certain people to legitimate the raise in price by citing the 'increased demand', even though there's no significantly higher demand than before.

Think about it.

Apr 2011
    Germany

Emmy's going to go down a bit. SnT him into a Clone will be the worst thing ever.
    I guess you mean "into a second Emrakul", which is now worse than before for the SnT player because its opponent gets to attack first, right?
    Last edited by joven; 05-23-2013 at 09:14 AM.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Isn't it a bit early to call Cradle ban-worthy? Sure, it got a major upgrade and is fucking stupid with Crop Rotation, but I would at least wait for actual test results.

Dark Depths combo sounds sexy, but the token still dies to STP, bounce and potentially Edict effects (Jace and Liliana say hi!) and especially Karakas - and all of the latter cards got also a major boost with the rule change.

Edit: Ok, Planeswalkers not so much, since it can be used at instant speed EoT.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

I can see Show and Tell going down in price.

Picture this:

Show and Tell Mirror: you resolve a Show and Tell and try to cheat Emrakul on the field. Only that your opponent does the same and cheats his/her own Emrakul. I don't play the deck so I don't know how to pilot against the mirror but if something like that was pulled off, you'd be dead next turn against your opponent's Emrakul and there's nothing you can do about it. Sure you can have an Emrakul face off but you still have to face the annihilator 6.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Just ordered 4 x near mint Dark Depths $15.5 each. Setting up Stage-Depths combo sounds really good and easy in Maverick.

On first glance through the list of legendary lands, Gemstone Caverns seems like it might get a tiny price bump. Some Modern decks might enjoy the ability to get two mana from lands on turn one, and the drawback of drawing one while you're going off doesn't really exist because you can still get a mana out of the second one if you haven't played a land for the turn.

Not the most amazing thing ever, but enough to see it get above its current dollar price tag.

I'd also expect to see Vesuva going up. IIRC, it should do the same thing as Stage, without the mana but requiring Depths to already be on the field.

Also also, Wasteland will go up in accordance to the popularity of the Dark Depths combo. If it ends up in every deck, Wasteland will definitely see more play and go up in price.

Splitting time between Legacy, EDH and Alterations
    Sep 2007
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Dark Stage won't be in every deck because Thespian Stage is a colourless land. It's best run in a deck that is mono coloured, dual coloured or even mono brown (MUD). MUD can run 4 Thespian Stage as just random brown lands and play a few copies of Depths with 4X Expedition map as a tutor. The deck needs a huge tweak (dropping Chalice) to make this work and I'm not sure its worth it.

The 2 decks/colour combinations I see doing well with stage is GW Maverick and GB Dark Stage Combo. The combo is stupidly easy to splash into the Mav deck and KOTR already is a built in Tutor. Green also gives you Crop Rotation for the extra tutor power. White gives you Mother of Runes which is a pretty good protection piece. Also, the Mav deck still has a primary plan of hate bears and smashing face. Dark Stage is just a back up plan to break ground stalls or to Auto Win out of nowhere.

GB Dark Stage is a dedicated combo deck with Thoughtseize, Inquistion of Kozilek, Deathrites, Bob, Goyf, Abrupt decay etc. It's GB good stuff but with Crop Rotation, Urborg and Dark Depths/Thespian's Stage. This deck has been around as the default legacy dark depths deck, but now Living Wish & Vampire Hexmage can be dropped because crop rotation is just much better. The deck definitely got stronger with the ruling change.

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by ivanpei View Post
    Dark Stage won't be in every deck because Thespian Stage is a colourless land. It's best run in a deck that is mono coloured, dual coloured or even mono brown (MUD). MUD can run 4 Thespian Stage as just random brown lands and play a few copies of Depths with 4X Expedition map as a tutor. The deck needs a huge tweak (dropping Chalice) to make this work and I'm not sure its worth it.

The 2 decks/colour combinations I see doing well with stage is GW Maverick and GB Dark Stage Combo. The combo is stupidly easy to splash into the Mav deck and KOTR already is a built in Tutor. Green also gives you Crop Rotation for the extra tutor power. White gives you Mother of Runes which is a pretty good protection piece. Also, the Mav deck still has a primary plan of hate bears and smashing face. Dark Stage is just a back up plan to break ground stalls or to Auto Win out of nowhere.

GB Dark Stage is a dedicated combo deck with Thoughtseize, Inquistion of Kozilek, Deathrites, Bob, Goyf, Abrupt decay etc. It's GB good stuff but with Crop Rotation, Urborg and Dark Depths/Thespian's Stage. This deck has been around as the default legacy dark depths deck, but now Living Wish & Vampire Hexmage can be dropped because crop rotation is just much better. The deck definitely got stronger with the ruling change.
    I don't think it needs a huge tweak at all. You can just run 2 or max 3 dark depths, without relying on expedition map. Thespian Stage can copy City of Traitors which is sort of neat.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

For those of you who don't play show and tell but are speculating.. This won't effect show and tell. Games that are won in the mirror are won with through the breach and sneak attack because show and tell sucks.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Cobra Kai Sensie
    Oct 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    8. phantasmal Image (Pure win with/against Cliques/Emrakul/Griselbrand/S&T/Stoneforge-mirror/Geist)

all up
    Stoneforge is not legendary?
    The best use of Image before was killing troublesome Legends, I don't see how this ruling makes it any better of a card.
    big links in sigs are obnoxious -PR

Don't disrespect my dojo dude...

Sweep the leg!

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Anyone think Notion Thief will spike?

The argument always was that JTMS was the best answer to an opponent's JTMS, but now that that is no longer the case, Notion Thief looks a lot better.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by dontbiteitholmes View Post
    Stoneforge is not legendary?
    The best use of Image before was killing troublesome Legends, I don't see how this ruling makes it any better of a card.
    I was highlighting it's vertisility
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Only if you have some way to get the Clone into play at Instant speed after they cast Show and Tell (you can't copy Emrakul with the Clone if you put it into play with Show and Tell). Otherwise it's worse. Before they could Show and Tell and you could cast the Clone next turn to destroy it, but now you can cast the clone, get an Emrakul...and still have to deal with a swing from Emrakul before you can attack with your own.

Though if you have an Instant speed way to get the Clone into play (e.g. Aethar Vial), then it is worse for the Show and Tell player because you can untap and attack with your Emrakul clone next turn.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Not sure if it has been said yet our not. Mox Opals are 40 and geist of saint traft has already gone up as well
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

Quote Originally Posted by (nameless one) View Post
    I can see Show and Tell going down in price.

Picture this:

Show and Tell Mirror: you resolve a Show and Tell and try to cheat Emrakul on the field. Only that your opponent does the same and cheats his/her own Emrakul. I don't play the deck so I don't know how to pilot against the mirror but if something like that was pulled off, you'd be dead next turn against your opponent's Emrakul and there's nothing you can do about it. Sure you can have an Emrakul face off but you still have to face the annihilator 6.
    Time to that mono blue version that doesn't fuck around then. Or just not cast it in the mirror
    Matt Bevenour in real life

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Isn't it a bit early to call Cradle ban-worthy? Sure, it got a major upgrade and is fucking stupid with Crop Rotation, but I would at least wait for actual test results.

Dark Depths combo sounds sexy, but the token still dies to STP, bounce and potentially Edict effects (Jace and Liliana say hi!) and especially Karakas - and all of the latter cards got also a major boost with the rule change.

Edit: Ok, Planeswalkers not so much, since it can be used at instant speed EoT.
    I agree. Cradle isn't more broke then what is already possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    Man IDK, I don't write this bullshit. We all know WotC has some primo grass in its R&D Lair.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Cradle at 150 SCG
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Storm Trooper
    Jun 2012
    Bremen, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Cradle at 150 SCG
    No sane person buys from SCG. Why even bother naming their absurd prices?

Zombie Elf Warrior
    Dec 2004
    seattle

Because those numbers reflect how people measure the relative value of their cards. You may not agree with the specific numerical value, but regardless of what the number is, when it goes up or down it means something. That meaning, separate from the number, is what we are interested in here. Cmon People!

Thread Information