Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Speculate: What prices will go up and what will go down?

bruizar

Re: Speculate: What prices will go up and what will go down?

No sane person from scg? I find it rather hard to grasp that they employ as many people as they do, and host the number of events they do. The money has to come from someone. Are you implying that most people are not sane? Or are you implying that you're cheap.

Apr 2011
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by danyul View Post
    Because those numbers reflect how people measure the relative value of their cards. You may not agree with the specific numerical value, but regardless of what the number is, when it goes up or down it means something. That meaning, separate from the number, is what we are interested in here. Cmon People!
    Hm, isn't this kind of thinking part of the problem, letting SCG dictate prices? Why not just ignore SCG and instead look at the open market? It seems to me that SCG has arbitrarily raised prizes several times in the past well knowing that most prices for top magic cards will stick.

Zombie Elf Warrior
    Dec 2004
    seattle

Sure. And people should recycle too. And *everybody* should probably vote. And I should probably go to sleep instead of lurking this forum when I have work tomorrow. You can't beat the Hive Mind. :rimshot:

And yeah, maybe SCG has been manipulative with pricing in the past. I don't know that for sure, but it seems to be the general consensus, whatever that means. BUT, in this specific instance, like 24 hours after everybody on this forum declared "Wow, Cradle is really good now", suddenly the price of Cradle goes up. I would argue that, in this specific instance, that is not price manipulation. That is actually Cradle being better than it was a week ago.

People who hate on SCG forget that this format was a goddamn deserted wasteland before the Open Series came around. I'm not saying that gives SCG a license to be sneaky with prices, if in fact that is what they are doing (and I don't know either way), BUT, you kids should probably quit swatting at the hand that feeds you.

Edit - also, I'm not very smart. I'm a legit dumbass, but isn't the open market kinda like a high stakes poker table? Can't the chip leader kinda bully the players with less capital? You guys love capitalism right? Well, isn't this part of it? Let me remind you that I'm dumb.

bruizar

sure. And people should recycle too. And *everybody* should probably vote. And i should probably go to sleep instead of lurking this forum when i have work tomorrow. You can't beat the hive mind. :rimshot:

And yeah, maybe scg has been manipulative with pricing in the past. I don't know that for sure, but it seems to be the general consensus, whatever that means. But, in this specific instance, like 24 hours after everybody on this forum declared "wow, cradle is really good now", suddenly the price of cradle goes up. I would argue that, in this specific instance, that is not price manipulation. That is actually cradle being better than it was a week ago.

People who hate on scg forget that this format was a goddamn deserted wasteland before the open series came around. I'm not saying that gives scg a license to be sneaky with prices, if in fact that is what they are doing (and i don't know either way), but, you kids should probably quit swatting at the hand that feeds you.

Edit - also, i'm not very smart. I'm a legit dumbass, but isn't the open market kinda like a high stakes poker table? Can't the chip leader kinda bully the players with less capital? You guys love capitalism right? Well, isn't this part of it? Let me remind you that i'm dumb.
    qft
    <3

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Right. Even thOugh it is obviously a high price, it is a trend setting source. Averages on TCG and ebay have jumped drastically as well
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

1) SCG's prices are demonstrably higher than most other reputable vendors'.

2) SCG does a lot to keep Legacy going.

3) SCG prices are indeed relevant to determining the market's evaluation of a card, because SCG is the most visible vendor and, despite 1, people still buy from them (i.e. people are not rational consumers).

4) The truth of 2 and 3 have no impact on the truth of 1, so pointing them out does not make 1 false.

5) People shouldn't get so butthurt over it being pointed out to them that they buy cards at inflated prices.
    UR Delver
    Dredge
    T.E.S.
    Deadguy Ale

You are Legacy players. You are the yacht-piloting, blinged-out, elite echelon of Magical card slingers.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Fact of the matter is that Cradle has been underpriced for much longer than everyone assumed it was. I remember being able to buy them for $30 no less than 18 months ago. That was an indication that they are indeed:
    1) Reserve Listed
    2) Provide insane amount of mana with an easy pre-condition
    3) Have massive casual appeal

Needless to say, now that everyone realized it's the bee's knees; everyone is going bananas to pick them up. People who knew it was good picked them up long ago.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

I haven't been playing Magic in ages and purely by chance discovered the Cradle craze. I do own some, but I have no idea how the MTG cards market works at all, would you say I should hold onto them for a while longer or sell them now? Being short on money would make having some extra really nice.

Sorry for asking this personal question, but people here appear to know what they are talking about.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by MPL View Post
    I haven't been playing Magic in ages and purely by chance discovered the Cradle craze. I do own some, but I have no idea how the MTG cards market works at all, would you say I should hold onto them for a while longer or sell them now? Being short on money would make having some extra really nice.

Sorry for asking this personal question, but people here appear to know what they are talking about.
    The madness right begun. I expect it to climax in about 6 weeks
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    The madness right begun. I expect it to climax in about 6 weeks
    The hours is later than you think: https://www.magiccardmarket.eu/Gaeas....c1p17593.prod
    trololololo

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Miagi View Post
    The hours is later than you think: https://www.magiccardmarket.eu/Gaeas....c1p17593.prod
    trololololo
    Yesterday there were about 9 left. I don't care having 4 Judge foils. May I sell those for 400€ per piece now lol
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Quote Originally Posted by HPB_Eggo View Post
    I'd also expect to see Vesuva going up. IIRC, it should do the same thing as Stage, without the mana but requiring Depths to already be on the field.
    Good call ... you go buy yourself 100 Vesuvas. Or you could RTFC and save yourself some cash.

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    Good call ... you go buy yourself 100 Vesuvas. Or you could RTFC and save yourself some cash.
    Since bashing people for speculation they post after three hours of sleep is totally going to earn you props...

Oh, wait, it's the Internet. Totally will.

More on-topic, I'm starting to think a handful of useful tutor cards are going to see a slight price bump. Crop Rotation, in particular, might see a bump to get over a dollar or so because it can help with chaining Cradles or grabbing DD/Stage.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Since bashing people for speculation they post after three hours of sleep is totally going to earn you props...

Oh, wait, it's the Internet. Totally will.

More on-topic, I'm starting to think a handful of useful tutor cards are going to see a slight price bump. Crop Rotation, in particular, might see a bump to get over a dollar or so because it can help with chaining Cradles or grabbing DD/Stage.
    Shit maybe even Knight of the Reliquary, and then you could add fetchlands to make her bigger, and GSZ to find her; and not too long after that you're playing Maverick.
    This does not bode well.
    West side
    My Legacy stream

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    Shit maybe even Knight of the Reliquary, and then you could add fetchlands to make her bigger, and GSZ to find her; and not too long after that you're playing Maverick.
    This does not bode well.
    Since Maverick is clearly the only deck interested in tutoring for lands...

Good job reminding me how these forums can be a great source of useful and constructive criticism, though.

bruizar

There is already talk of using KOTR in the sideboard of 43 lands.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Since Maverick is clearly the only deck interested in tutoring for lands...

Good job reminding me how these forums can be a great source of useful and constructive criticism, though.
    This is a speculation thread. Not a strategy thread. Learn the difference.
    West side
    My Legacy stream

bruizar

@Koby: Is that not speculation?

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    @Koby: Is that not speculation?
    Sure it is. *pats on head* I don't disagree with the line of logic. Not sure what Eggo was expecting as useful criticism to an intuitive train of thought.
    West side
    My Legacy stream

bruizar

I think he has a very valid point. I have looked at Time of Need, Crop Rotation, Expedition Map, Weathered Wayfarer and Knight of the Reliquary myself. The increase might not be gigantic, but this is the right thread for this. Foil Crop Rotation might see a substantial increase due to increased applications in elves.dec.

Thread Information