Thread: [article] Squandered Resources: White and Budget Legacy

[article] Squandered Resources: White and Budget Legacy

Hey guys, another Squandered Resources article for you. For May I took a look at some mono white decks. What do you guys think of the lists? About the article or the series in general?

http://www.mtgsalvation.com/1394-squ...et-legacy.html

I write articles!
    Squandered Resources:
    Special thanks to Bornnover for the banner used in those articles.

Cabal Therapist
    Oct 2010
    Colchester, VT

Re: [article] Squandered Resources: White and Budget Legacy

I always enjoy your articles. They definitely seem like a good place for a budgeted player to get into legacy with out just listening to suggestion every other legacy player gives budgeted players that consists of, "buy burn/affinity and pretend you like it till you get more money".

Although I cringe seeing stompy and vial decks without wastes and/or ports, the lists seem pretty solid for the budget.

I have to say though, I feel like all 3 of those lists would have loved Stoneforge mystics. If nothing else to find and "vial in" a 1-of jitte, or maybe a batterskull. 4 Mystics only adds about 20-30$. And especially for the token centric list, running 3 jittes, it would actually lower the cost of the deck since 2 jitte would be cuttable then.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

I <3 White Weenie in a dreadful, unnatural way.

I was a little surprised to see you mention mana acceleration in the form of Chrome Mox, but never Knight of the White Orchid. I realize that KotWO is a little dependent on the opponent's ability to play lands, but unless the new rules about lands somehow fuck with his usefulness, he does prevent you from being totally screwed over. Also, he works *with* Chrome Mox as well, so it could ramp you up to one of those bigger beaters in some of those lists or a quick cast/equip of Jitte or Sword of XY.

Also, no Soul Sisters? Is there a madly expensive card in there compared to, like, Umezawa's Jitte in the other lists that precludes it from being mentioned? I was really, really surprised the first couple of times I fished a SS list; it is stupidly good at creating massive beaters and keeping them in play with Proclamation of Rebirth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    I <3 White Weenie in a dreadful, unnatural way.

I was a little surprised to see you mention mana acceleration in the form of Chrome Mox, but never Knight of the White Orchid. I realize that KotWO is a little dependent on the opponent's ability to play lands, but unless the new rules about lands somehow fuck with his usefulness, he does prevent you from being totally screwed over. Also, he works *with* Chrome Mox as well, so it could ramp you up to one of those bigger beaters in some of those lists or a quick cast/equip of Jitte or Sword of XY.

Also, no Soul Sisters? Is there a madly expensive card in there compared to, like, Umezawa's Jitte in the other lists that precludes it from being mentioned? I was really, really surprised the first couple of times I fished a SS list; it is stupidly good at creating massive beaters and keeping them in play with Proclamation of Rebirth.
    Knight of the White Orchid is not a soldier, so he doesn't quite fit in the soldier stompy deck. Plus he has a double white CMC, which is pretty hard to get through when you run SoL lands, not to mention the banneret and warchief wouldn't make him cost less.

I didn't mention soul sisters simply because I have written about it before. It's still a fine deck to play though. Maybe I shouldn't try so hard to not write about the same deck twice?

I write articles!
    Squandered Resources:

Quote Originally Posted by -Spooky- View Post
    Knight of the White Orchid is not a soldier, so he doesn't quite fit in the soldier stompy deck. Plus he has a double white CMC, which is pretty hard to get through when you run SoL lands, not to mention the banneret and warchief wouldn't make him cost less.

I didn't mention soul sisters simply because I have written about it before. It's still a fine deck to play though. Maybe I shouldn't try so hard to not write about the same deck twice?
    I'm also a big fan of your articles. A buddy of mine as built two of the deck you wrote about, and I played soul sisters this weekend. I would love to see a budget update on soul sisters as some new cards are around that make sense. I think Thalia was not around when the first article was written for example.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

That Meekstone could use Blind Obedience as a partner in crime.

I love Soldier Stompy. It's actually good in certain meta.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by -Spooky- View Post

Ah, I didn't realize you'd already written about Soul Sisters. As long as the gospel is being spread one way or another, so much the better.

@Knight of the White Orchid - indeed it is not a Soldier. However, in other lists such as the last one on the list (the one which placed 18th at a recent tournament) I cannot help but wonder if it would have been prudent to try it in the slot of something like Serra Avenger or Knight of Meadowgrain. A 20-land list with no draw spells that runs Elspeth or would like to drop an equipment card and hopefully equip it that turn might appreciate the assist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    Ah, I didn't realize you'd already written about Soul Sisters. As long as the gospel is being spread one way or another, so much the better.

@Knight of the White Orchid - indeed it is not a Soldier. However, in other lists such as the last one on the list (the one which placed 18th at a recent tournament) I cannot help but wonder if it would have been prudent to try it in the slot of something like Serra Avenger or Knight of Meadowgrain. A 20-land list with no draw spells that runs Elspeth or would like to drop an equipment card and hopefully equip it that turn might appreciate the assist.
    White Orchid could be something to try in the 2 drop slot. He still has first strike which means equipment is pretty good on him. I think he would serve a different role than Knight of Meadowgrain or Squadron Hawk, so you its hard to compare them all. I would never take avenger out of the list though.

I write articles!
    Squandered Resources:

Thread Information