Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [EDH] Lazav, Shapeshifter Mastermind

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Re: [EDH] Lazav, Shapeshifter Mastermind

Quote Originally Posted by Davran View Post
    It turns out that the Isochron Scepter package is just taking up a bunch of space that could be used for other stuff. I've never really wanted to tutor for Scepter, and by having it in the deck I was playing a bunch of "bad" 2 mana instants just to make it worthwhile. Also, the deck has a real problem with artifacts and enchantments...especially if they somehow hose the Lazav plan. That said, I made some changes:

Out:
    Isochron Scepter
    Squelch
    Shadow of Doubt
    Shred Memory
    Swamp

In:

Dominating Licid - I was thinking of including a Mind Control effect, and this one is certainly the most unique of the bunch. Also, its quirky rules text and ability to "dodge" removal is a huge plus, and it's infinitely more reusable than a similar enchantment. Did I mention that it's a creature and the deck is full of clones?

Havengul Lich - I'm not sure how I overlooked this guy when I built the deck. I debated also running Leyline of Anticipation/Vedalken Orrery to turn his ability on at instant speed but ultimately decided against it. That might change in the future though...

Nevinyrral's Disk - This should really be Oblivion Stone, but sadly I don't have one. It will still get the job done in a pinch...I'll just have to figure out some other way to deal with planeswalkers.

Recoil - The choice between this and Capsize was difficult. I ultimately chose this one because I find that I rarely leave mana open during other people's turns for buyback, and it has the potential to randomly be a Vindicate if one of my opponents is playing hellbent.

Academy Ruins - Disk came in and so did this. There's a bunch of other useful targets too...but Disk is the primary use.

List is updated in the OP.
    HOW IS HAVENGUL LICH NOT IN MY SEDRIS DECK OMG. Nice pull there.

Also if you are going to play Rite of Replication, you might think about Precursor Golem for the hurp-durpingest two-card billion-dudes combo of all time. I don't even know how many guys it makes if you can cast it twice; it's astronomically big and the math reads like a flipping collegiate-level proof. (to me. i'm not a math guy)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

May 2011
    Albany, NY

Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    HOW IS HAVENGUL LICH NOT IN MY SEDRIS DECK OMG. Nice pull there.

Also if you are going to play Rite of Replication, you might think about Precursor Golem for the hurp-durpingest two-card billion-dudes combo of all time. I don't even know how many guys it makes if you can cast it twice; it's astronomically big and the math reads like a flipping collegiate-level proof. (to me. i'm not a math guy)
    I know, right? The guy seems pretty bonkers if you're doing anything with the graveyard and it just gets better as the game goes long.

Precursor Golem is another one I always forget exists. Makes for a pretty good clone target, and the interaction with Rite of Replication is pretty bonkers. I'll keep it on deck for the next time something is under preforming.

While we're on the subject of Rite of Replication...that card is stupidly good. I won a game last night by making 5 copies of a 30/30 Consuming Aberration and casting a Cyclonic Rift. Easily the most fun play I've made in a while.

May 2011
    Albany, NY

Made a couple more changes after playing some games:

- Dire Undercurrents, Oona, Queen of the Fae

+ Black Sun's Zenith, Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre

After getting repeatedly stomped by swarms of creatures despite casting 4 of my mass removal spells, I decided the deck needed another wrath effect. I debated including Life's Finale over Black Sun's Zenith because Life's Finale is essentially a wrath stapled to a Bribery with Lazav on the table. The only problem with that is that Lazav would die along with everything else unless I also run something like Darksteel Plate, and I don't think that's worth it. I'd really like Decree of Pain or even All is Dust for this slot, but I don't own a copy of either of those...so the Zenith will have to do for now. Zenith does have one thing going for it - it's tutorable off of Muddle the Mixture.

Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre should probably have been in here all along. It gives me an expensive way to deal with a problematic artifact or enchantment, and it also prevents me from getting milled out to copies of my own Consuming Aberration. It's also a relatively decent alternative win condition...whatever that's worth.

As for the cuts, Dire Undercurrents was easy because it seems a little win-more. I don't have very many ways to abuse it (e.g. no Deadeye Navigator in the deck), and the advantage it can provide isn't all that spectacular. Cutting Oona, Queen of the Fae was a little tougher, but ultimately she left because her ability exiles the cards you mill, which is a big non-bo with Lazav.

Updated list in the OP.

May 2011
    Albany, NY

I'm necroing the hell out of this thread, but since it's my deck I figured I'd just update this thread instead of making a new one.

I've recently overhauled this list and have been having a ton of fun playing it. The general idea is to clone my opponent's stuff for fun and profit. I've also got a whole bunch of tricks and such to mess around with, and a minor milling subtheme to help fuel Lazav. If you're in the market for something a little more casual that both scales with the overall power level of the table and also rarely plays the same game twice I definitely encourage you to give this list a shot.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by Ishmael on MTG Salvation
    If you only have one precursor golem and the two token golems, a single kicked Rite (targeting a token golem) will leave you with 27 golems, 6 of which are Precursors.

If you do it AGAIN, you get 4 Million. And that's that.
    Source

May 2011
    Albany, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    Good to know, but I still don't really think this deck actually wants to make a whole pile of golems.

A couple of quick changes to the list:

- Jace's Archivist, + Forbidden Alchemy

I've been wanting to give Forbidden Alchemy a shot as I'm finding that the deck could really use some more instant speed draw power. I considered Dig Through Time for this slot, and may ultimately replace Treasure Cruise with it...but I think Alchemy is a nice want to both "power up" delve and also possibly turn on my various reanimation effects. As for the Archivist, I think it's better suited to something like Nekusar where having your opponents drawing cards matters. Here, it just refuels the player with a smaller hand while rarely giving Lazav something new to copy.

- Aetherspouts, + Snapcaster Mage

Aetherspouts has never been the blowout I wanted it to be. It either shows up too late, or forces me to sit around with 5 mana open in the hope that someone will attack me.

List updated in the OP.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

It's way more than 4 million.

Like, waaaaaaaaay more.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...rdydjzhrY/edit

Anyway if the deck doesn't care about the combo then it is a no-brainer -- don't put it in :) it's just one of those funny things you can do which somewhat fits the cloning theme (copying is cloning, I... I guess...) and as long as you're playing one half of the combo, the other half sort of begs acknowledgement. Unless it doesn't. :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

May 2011
    Albany, NY

It's way more than 4 million.

Like, waaaaaaaaay more.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...rdydjzhrY/edit

Anyway if the deck doesn't care about the combo then it is a no-brainer -- don't put it in :) it's just one of those funny things you can do which somewhat fits the cloning theme (copying is cloning, I... I guess...) and as long as you're playing one half of the combo, the other half sort of begs acknowledgement. Unless it doesn't. :)
    Now let's do the math for UG decks with Doubling Season/Parallel Lives...

Thread Information