Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Exact Same Named Cards Swapped in Tournament or Match

Re: Exact Same Named Cards Swapped in Tournament or Match

THIS IS FUCKING BULLSHIT! Bird Maiden was the core grindy tempo durdle midrange skill tester in cavern of avians ...

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

It is a sad sad day for Kird Ape, which apparently saw first print in Arabian Nights. Gruul players everywhere, mourn this new enemy of Feinstein.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    It is a sad sad day for Kird Ape, which apparently saw first print in Arabian Nights. Gruul players everywhere, mourn this new enemy of Feinstein.
    No one should ever have been playing with a non-Arabian Nights version anyway.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthepit View Post
    No one should ever have been playing with a non-Arabian Nights version anyway.
    My 9th Ed Kird Ape is ANGRY LIKE A MANKEY.

It's almost too bad that City in a Bottle is the only one that prevents cards from being played. Golgothian Sylex would fuck up a ton of shit if it were Meddling Mage naming "Antiquities". Candelabra, Mishra's Workshop AND Factory... other things, if Gatherer wasn't the worst, session-losingest searchy thing ever in the history of everything...

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    Forget everything mentioned in this thread so far.

A card's expansion symbol is tied to the first set it was printed only.

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazin...re/255c&page=3
    I really dislike this. Wouldn't it be better to just power-level errata the City so that it reads "except for basic Mountains", just like did the guys of Old School Magic/MtG93-94 community?
    I don't plan to play an Odyssey block Erhnam Djinn any time soon, but I find it really annoying that WotC basically wants us to remember all the cards from AN, AQ and HL in case someone puts a City in a Bottle on the bottlefield.
    Completely unnecessary and confusing change, I can't imagine anyone asked for it or any Eternal player would greet it. I simply don't understand why the old rule of "edition symbol = edition" wasn't good enough anymore. You looked at the card and known where it's from and if the appropriate hate card (I mean: CiaB, Sylex or Chime) destroys it or not. Even better that the cards from Chronicles were meant to be a part of the original editions, so they were hurt just like the pimp originals.
    Is there some influx of AN.dec that forced people to pack Cities in the Bottles, and thus such a change was extremely important? What am I missing?

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Bed Decks Palyer View Post
    I really dislike this. Wouldn't it be better to just power-level errata the City so that it reads "except for basic Mountains", just like did the guys of Old School Magic/MtG93-94 community?
    I don't plan to play an Odyssey block Erhnam Djinn any time soon, but I find it really annoying that WotC basically wants us to remember all the cards from AN, AQ and HL in case someone puts a City in a Bottle on the bottlefield.
    Completely unnecessary and confusing change, I can't imagine anyone asked for it or any Eternal player would greet it. I simply don't understand why the old rule of "edition symbol = edition" wasn't good enough anymore. You looked at the card and known where it's from and if the appropriate hate card (I mean: CiaB, Sylex or Chime) destroys it or not. Even better that the cards from Chronicles were meant to be a part of the original editions, so they were hurt just like the pimp originals.
    Is there some influx of AN.dec that forced people to pack Cities in the Bottles, and thus such a change was extremely important? What am I missing?
    That's basically the most unelegant errata I've heared in quite a while.

On top of that, the new rule is really good as it clears up the ongoing confusion about replacing your Arabian Nights City of Brass with 9th editions ones when the opponent plays City in a Bottle. Also cleans up the confusion about Chronicles City of Brass being affected by City in a Bottle.

I call good change.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    That's basically the most unelegant errata I've heared in quite a while.

On top of that, the new rule is really good as it clears up the ongoing confusion about replacing your Arabian Nights City of Brass with 9th editions ones when the opponent plays City in a Bottle. Also cleans up the confusion about Chronicles City of Brass being affected by City in a Bottle.

I call good change.
    Yes, it cleans the mess but at the cost of all the players needing to know the complete list of AN, AQ and HL. Ok, not that it's exactly like that, of course, because the cards to remember are maybe thirty or so through the both Eternal formats, counting the City of Brass, Bazaar of Baghdad, LoA, but also things like Kird Ape or Serrated Arrows.

I just find it really strange that we should memorize a list of hundreds of cards just in case someone plays Apocalypse Chime to stop our Anaba Grunt combo.

What I dislike about the situation is the fact that how the CiaB+Solex+Chime really work is not said by the cards or oracle, but only by therulebook, and unless you got it memorized or have a Judge level, you simple don't know what the cards do, and you don't even know there's something you should know.
    EDIT: It'd like Manaburn Reborn.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

1) So I actually like the change, but this is a fair point, because I constantly think the less memory issues that go into MtG the better. As an example - I <3 emblems, because now I know for the rest of the game that my dudes will have +1/+0 because thanks Sorin, right? So IMO, Praetor's Counsel should do the same thing, so should Stigma Lasher, and so on - so that's errata I'd like to see, even though it sort of 'fixes' what isn't broken - one could simply write it down, after all, but as an emblem it actually exists 'within the game', which I personally believe to be important. But I digress.

You're right to point this out, and it does kind of suck for that reason. But it's also a two-way street, because there are flavor and function reasons that make this awesome, because it is better IMO to say things that originate from Arabian Nights instead of "happen to exist in Arabian Nights" would get owned by this, because it holds better to the idea that certain spells originate from certain planes. That's flavor though; functionally it is good because it represents an interesting answer to things like Library of Alexandria or Bazaar of Baghdad. In particular since Bazaar has been probably the most ridiculous card in Vintage Dredge for a long time - slight exaggerate, but players used to just about literally mull to BoB regardless of the other cards - it is interesting to see if it will become a force for change in that format.

2) Heh. Bottlefield. :)

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

...functionally it is good because it represents an interesting answer to things like Library of Alexandria or Bazaar of Baghdad. In particular since Bazaar has been probably the most ridiculous card in Vintage Dredge for a long time - slight exaggerate, but players used to just about literally mull to BoB regardless of the other cards - it is interesting to see if it will become a force for change in that format.
    Yes, you're right, of course, and I like how such a bad card found its place in several Vintage sideboards. And if you take a look at Old School MtG, its pressence is fascinating - 1/8 of all the sideboards! :)
    I just wish that they could make it work in some more reasonable way then force the players to memorize all the chaff from the sets two decades old.

2) Heh. Bottlefield. :)

Another thing I dislike in modern MtG. Plainswalker points? Battlefield? Triblahblah cards? (Not that the tribals are bad per se, just that they don't feel like a new type, but rather a subtype.)
    This all leads way back to the past at least to the 8th Ed. card frame and (at least in my case) maybe it started with the introduction of foils. I want back my old Magic.

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Sorry for a dbpost, a mod might glue it to my previous one, I just wished that the...
    Complete List of Important Cards from AN, AQ and HL would be in one post:

Important cards affected by City in a Bottle:
    Bazaar of Baghdad
    City in a Bottle (yep, it'll be a sick tech to sb your own CiaB to destroy opposing CiaB.)
    City of Brass
    Drop of Honey
    Erg Raiders (see below)
    Erhnam Djinn (but oldschoolers don't play reprints, so it isn't necessary to remeber that these two cards were reprinted)
    Flying Men (see Erhnam Djinn,just that no one plays neither a Flying Men...)
    Ghazbán Ogre (...nor Ghazbán Ogre)
    Guardian Beast
    Ifh-Bíff Efreet
    Island of Wak-Wak (it was good back in the old days, but they're gone...)
    Juzám Djinn (still much better than Phyrexian Scuta
    Kird Ape
    Library of Alexandria
    Mountain
    Old Man of the Sea
    Serendib Efreet
    Unstable Mutation (does Infect deck use it still?)

Important cards affected by Golgothian Sylex:
    Atog
    Candelabra of Tawnos
    Energy Flux
    Golgothian Sylex (see City in a Bottle)
    Ivory Tower (for the EDH/Mtg94 crwod
    Jalum Tome (dtto)
    Millstone (dtto)
    Mishra's Factory
    Ornithopter
    Power Artifact
    Strip Mine
    Su-Chi (is it still played?)
    The Rack
    Titania's Song (I hope that everyone plays March of the Machines instead)
    Triskelion (played yet?)
    Urza's Mine
    Urza's Power Plant
    Urza's Tower

Important cards affected by Apocalypse Chime:
    Apocalypse Chime
    Autumn Willow (for the oldschool Willowgeddon guys)
    Baron Sengir (for the EDH guys)
    Didgeridoo (a reason to hoard the Chimes?)
    Ihsan's Shade (for the retroNecra pilots?)
    Sea Sprite
    Serrated Arrows

Of all those cards, the only really important are AN and AQ lands. some of the cards were reprinted later and are used in a fringe decks like Sea Stompy or such. Enjoy the list! I can't believe I just wasted thirty minutes of my life trying to find playbles in this old garbage; especially Homelnds were painful and as you might see, i even listed some very odd things that not even the most hardcore EDHist might use.

Sep 2007
    Roseville, MN

Mountain is not affected by City in a Bottle because it was not originally printed in Arabian Nights, it was originally in Alpha. Even if the Mountain is actually from Arabian Nights, it won't be affected.

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Quote Originally Posted by Malchar View Post
    Mountain is not affected by City in a Bottle because it was not originally printed in Arabian Nights, it was originally in Alpha. Even if the Mountain is actually from Arabian Nights, it won't be affected.
    Unless I'm mistaken, AN Mountains were destroyed by CiaB. The change we discussed changed it now, but with the previous rules, there was a reason to not completely pimp your RG Beats Old School deck.

Sep 2007
    Roseville, MN

Unless I'm mistaken, AN Mountains were destroyed by CiaB. The change we discussed changed it now, but with the previous rules, there was a reason to not completely pimp your RG Beats Old School deck.
    That's correct. I only bring it up to clarify because the post before mine listed Mountain as one of the cards that would be affected by City in a Bottle.

Thread Information