Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RW Devilblade

RW Devilblade

Basically, the idea of a RW Stoneblade build has intrigued me ever since I started playing it (right now I'm running a Junk version. Those blue duals are expensive, man...) My girlfriend has been getting into Magic lately, and she loves Stoneforge Mystic, and Red and White decks in general, and I thought now would be a good time to try it.

At first, it was basically a regular Stoneforge package with a few heavy hitters like Mirran Crusader, or evasive buggers like Squadron Hawk, with some burn and removal thrown in. Then I remembered Vexing Devil. He's too powerful not to use in a deck like this. A couple days later, I stumbled upon Martyr-Proc, and Ranger of Eos and Proclamation of Rebirth seem to work wonderfully with Vexing Devil.

Here's where I stand right now:

Creatures

4x Vexing Devil
    1x Figure of Destiny
    2x Grim Lavamancer
    2x Mother of Runes
    3x Stoneforge Mystic
    4x Mirran Crusader
    1x Stonecloaker
    3x Ranger of Eos

Artifact

1x Batterskull
    1x Sword of Fire and Ice
    1x Umezawa's Jitte

Instant

3x Browbeat
    4x Lightning Bolt
    4x Lightning Helix
    4x Path to Exile

Sorcery

3x Proclamation of Rebirth

Land

4x Arid Mesa
    2x Marsh Flats
    2x Wooded Foothills
    1x Plateau
    5x Mountain
    5x Plains

I'm not really sure where I want to go with this deck. The average cmc is really low, so if we splashed black, Dark Confidant would be a solid option (if only a little rough on the wallet...). The main problem I've had with the deck so far is that it can run out of steam rather quickly, or at least the builds before I added Ranger and Proc did. I'm not sure if Browbeat is the best draw spell for the deck either, since I'm almost always wanting to draw cards with it rather than deal 5.

Also, I'm new to MTGtheSource, and this is my first post. Here's hoping I'm bringing something new to the table.

Edit: Some cards to look at for this deck might be Boros Charm, Dangerous Wager, Sunforger, Steppe Lynx (for the interaction with the duals), Goblin Guide,Ash Zealot... Could be fun to fetch a Spark Trooper with a Flamekin Harbinger, that you grabbed with a Ranger. That curves out pretty nicely, now that I think about it... Now if I add Silverblade Paladin to the mix, things start to get positively nasty.
    Last edited by Darkprince909; 06-12-2013 at 05:26 AM.

Re: RW Devilblade

I questioned the Vexing Devil 'till I saw the Proclimations of Rebirth. Could be interesting. Nothing to do but test it. Since you are using RW and Stoneforge and are having trouble with running out of steam I might suggest Sunforger as a way to tutor up somemid-to late game answers.

How about Aether Vial? Maybe Squadron Hawk over Browbeat?

I can tell you that Browbeat is a no no. The card is never good in a competitive environment. Not exactly sure what should come out for it, but almost anything on color is better.

I write articles!
    Squandered Resources:
    Special thanks to Bornnover for the banner used in those articles.

Quote Originally Posted by -Spooky- View Post
    I can tell you that Browbeat is a no no. The card is never good in a competitive environment. Not exactly sure what should come out for it, but almost anything on color is better.
    I agree. Browbeat has never really been stellar in competative Magic. I would replace with either more burn like in the form of Chain Lightning, or Sensei's Divining Top to smooth out your draws.

Made a few changes to the list:

-1 Figure of Destiny
    -1 Mirran Crusader
    -3 Browbeat

+2 Boros Charm
    +3 Dangerous Wager

I've found myself never wanting to search for the single FoD, especially when I can grab 2 Devils instead. And extra Mirran Crusaders in hand always made me sad because I'd wish that one were a burn spell or something. Browbeat was replaced with Dangerous Wager. Not sure if it's any better, but at least I'm guaranteed the draw. If I had some more Tops, I'd throw them in here, but they're chilling with my Bobs in my Junkblade list, and I need to be able to run these two decks simultaneously.

Boros Charm is just nasty. 4 damage on turn 2, after you already took 4 from a Vexing Devil... or give a Batterskull, or anything holding a Jitte, double strike until EoT, for just 2 mana? Too good not to use, and I'm tempted to drop a Lightning Helix for a 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkprince909 View Post
    Made a few changes to the list:

-1 Figure of Destiny
    -1 Mirran Crusader
    -3 Browbeat

+2 Boros Charm
    +3 Dangerous Wager

I've found myself never wanting to search for the single FoD, especially when I can grab 2 Devils instead. And extra Mirran Crusaders in hand always made me sad because I'd wish that one were a burn spell or something. Browbeat was replaced with Dangerous Wager. Not sure if it's any better, but at least I'm guaranteed the draw. If I had some more Tops, I'd throw them in here, but they're chilling with my Bobs in my Junkblade list, and I need to be able to run these two decks simultaneously.

Boros Charm is just nasty. 4 damage on turn 2, after you already took 4 from a Vexing Devil... or give a Batterskull, or anything holding a Jitte, double strike until EoT, for just 2 mana? Too good not to use, and I'm tempted to drop a Lightning Helix for a 3rd.
    i've toyed around mws with a the almost same list, but without Proclamation of Rebirth, idk how i forgot that card, its just insane in this list.
    i have some ideas on the spells area:
    -3 Dangerous Wager
    -4 Lightning Helix
    +2 Boros Charm
    +4 Chain Lightning
    +1 Fireblast

that deck reminds me of the gameplay from Zoo, but being somehow a little bit more resilient because of Proclamation.
    do you considered adding Goblin Guide to the creatures? its so damn good.
    and 1of that boros land from Dark Ascencion? (that gives +2/+0 vigilance and haste)

Regarding Confidant & your budget, it's getting reprinted in Modern Masters.

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Quote Originally Posted by Greenpoe View Post
    Regarding Confidant & your budget, it's getting reprinted in Modern Masters.
    Which has clearly done wonders for its price! Dark Confidant remains the same price with Modern Masters foil being more expensive.

I've already got a set of Bobs. I just can't put them in this deck, because they're already in my Junkblade. My deck, and this one (my gf's) need to be able to be used at the same time, so unless I was lucky enough to open 2 or 3 Bobs in a MM draft, I don't think I can use them here, even though I'd like to. Plus, I already have to get ahold of the duals and about half the fetches for this list still, so the third color might have to wait a bit.

Edit: Been thinking of what this deck would need to sideboard against, and Show and Tell seems like a biggie. Oblivion Ring or Retribution of the Meek might be good for the sideboard. Orim's Chant for Storm and other combo decks. Need to do some testing to see what else I need to SB against.

I also have a couple extra Elspeth, Knight-Errants that I'm not using, so I might try to find room somewhere. +3+3 and flying on a Batterskull has never disappointed me before, and a flying Mirran Crusader is all kinds of scary.
    Last edited by Darkprince909; 06-13-2013 at 02:12 AM.

Talked to her about the budget issue, and she's fine with buying some more cards (Bob, duals, fetches, etc.) It'll be a bit of a project, and it might take us a while to finish, but black is on the table. I rebuilt the list from scratch, knowing I needed discard, and I wouldn't have as much room for the burn spells and such. Here's what I came up with:

Creature (17)

3x Dark Confidant
    4x Stoneforge Mystic
    4x Vexing Devil
    2x Grim Lavamancer
    3x Mirran Crusader
    1x Ranger of Eos

Sorcery (13)

2x Duress
    2x Inquisition of Kozilek
    2x Gerrard's Verdict
    3x Hymn to Tourach
    1x Proclamation of Rebirth
    3x Vindicate

Instant (7)

4x Lightning Bolt
    3x Swords to Plowshares

Artifact (3)

1x Batterskull
    1x Sword of Fire and Ice
    1x Umezawa's Jitte

Land (20)

3x Arid Mesa
    3x Bloodstained Mire
    2x Marsh Flats
    1x Badlands
    1x Plateau
    1x Scrubland
    1x Mountain
    2x Plains
    2x Swamp
    4x Wasteland

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Proclamation of Rebirth and Vexing Devil is kind of inspired, I gotta say. Why drop down to 1 Proclamation?

I *almost* - almost - wanted to see the list turn into Soul Sisters/R. Vexing Devil, with access to multiple Soul Wardens and Proclamation of Rebirth, makes me giggle. You could theoretically play a Red board sweeper and kill your own dudes, then bring them back and make your opponent confused and sad. The fact that Helix could trigger things like Ajani's Pridemate and like....Kor Firewalker or whatever... heh I dunno. I am really just a goofy little kid.

I will say I don't think there's a compelling reason not to run Flagstones of Trokair in multiples now, though. With the new Legend rule in effect, you don't wreck your own tempo by playing them consecutively, and they act as painless fetches more or less.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    Proclamation of Rebirth and Vexing Devil is kind of inspired, I gotta say. Why drop down to 1 Proclamation?

I *almost* - almost - wanted to see the list turn into Soul Sisters/R. Vexing Devil, with access to multiple Soul Wardens and Proclamation of Rebirth, makes me giggle. You could theoretically play a Red board sweeper and kill your own dudes, then bring them back and make your opponent confused and sad. The fact that Helix could trigger things like Ajani's Pridemate and like....Kor Firewalker or whatever... heh I dunno. I am really just a goofy little kid.

I will say I don't think there's a compelling reason not to run Flagstones of Trokair in multiples now, though. With the new Legend rule in effect, you don't wreck your own tempo by playing them consecutively, and they act as painless fetches more or less.
    I dropped down to 1 Proc because I have... six 1 drop creatures? It'll be a fun card to use when I draw it, but I can't imagine wanting to draw more than one ever, with how few creatures I'd realistically be able to use it on.

I actually started out wanting to make my girlfriend a Soul Sisters deck, because her favorite card is Ajani's Pridemate (I taught her how to play with DotP). It just kept evolving from there, and here I am with 3 color Stoneblade with Devil-Proc shenanigans.

What you describe with the Lightning Helixes and the board wipes and the Procs and the zippity zop zop jello pudding (sorry...) sounds like a hell of a deck for kitchen table Magic. I just think it might be too fragile for any sort of competitive play.

I'll look into the Flagstones. They might save me a few bucks on a couple of the fetches...

Quote Originally Posted by Darkprince909 View Post
    I dropped down to 1 Proc because I have... six 1 drop creatures? It'll be a fun card to use when I draw it, but I can't imagine wanting to draw more than one ever, with how few creatures I'd realistically be able to use it on.

I actually started out wanting to make my girlfriend a Soul Sisters deck, because her favorite card is Ajani's Pridemate (I taught her how to play with DotP). It just kept evolving from there, and here I am with 3 color Stoneblade with Devil-Proc shenanigans.

What you describe with the Lightning Helixes and the board wipes and the Procs and the zippity zop zop jello pudding (sorry...) sounds like a hell of a deck for kitchen table Magic. I just think it might be too fragile for any sort of competitive play.

I'll look into the Flagstones. They might save me a few bucks on a couple of the fetches...
    Because more than one is better when the discard spells are called Cabal Therapy instead of what you are playing, man. Off your own Devil to Proc. it again. Wash, rinse, etc. Also, I think I like black draw, not red, since that's the direction you are headed. You can play Skulltap and it's ilk for sac outlets to the devil/proc. compact combo easily. If you wanna get a second set of bobs, go for it...Just don't get old art again. Stupid 80's retro pastel nonsense. Such cartoons don't suit the mood for such an awesome game.

Flagstones is a nice touch, albeit a little seedy if you are also advocating tops. I prefer to be able to pop fetches and 'pseudo-tutor' with my top at the end of my opponent's turn (instant speed obv); maybe that's the storm//blue player in me but that's how I do it. I hate anything clunkier, and Flagstones is exactly that: clunky.

Also, welcome to the Source. Freakin' finally, guy.

-ABC

Because more than one is better when the discard spells are called Cabal Therapy instead of what you are playing, man. Off your own Devil to Proc. it again. Wash, rinse, etc. Also, I think I like black draw, not red, since that's the direction you are headed. You can play Skulltap and it's ilk for sac outlets to the devil/proc. compact combo easily. If you wanna get a second set of bobs, go for it...Just don't get old art again. Stupid 80's retro pastel nonsense. Such cartoons don't suit the mood for such an awesome game.

Flagstones is a nice touch, albeit a little seedy if you are also advocating tops. I prefer to be able to pop fetches and 'pseudo-tutor' with my top at the end of my opponent's turn (instant speed obv); maybe that's the storm//blue player in me but that's how I do it. I hate anything clunkier, and Flagstones is exactly that: clunky.

Also, welcome to the Source. Freakin' finally, guy.

-ABC
    After packing so much discard into the deck, there's really no room for Tops (not that they're really needed, either. The average cmc is 1.9. I'll bring the list over next time you've got free time and we'll see what we can do with the Devil-Proc package. Not much I can really do until I test it out. And I asked her which art she preferred, and she said the MM version, so we'll be getting those.

And I've been trying to get ahold of you, but I just remembered your phone needs refilled. Get on FB or PM me on here or something.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Yeah the Red board sweeper junk is nonsense, I just thought it'd be funny if the deck turned into Soul Sisters vis-a-vis Holy Tommy Gun.

If you expect to see Blood Moons or whatever, don't play Flagstones I guess. Three colors probably can't support it anyway because you'll have times when you wish it was a proper fetchland.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

I posted this list on Reddit as well, and a guy named pastrytime saw the deck and wrote a blog post on it, and gave his own spin to the deck. Here's the link: http://pastrytime.tumblr.com/post/53...e-1-devilblade

For those too lazy to click the link, here's what pastrytime came up with:

Creatures (25)

4x Vexing Devil
    4x Mother of Runes
    2x Grim Lavamancer
    4x Stoneforge Mystic
    4x Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    4x Flickerwisp
    2x Mirran Crusader
    1x Ranger of Eos

Spells (7)

2x Proclamation of Rebirth
    4x Lightning Bolt
    1x Forked Bolt

Artifact (7)

4x Aether Vial
    1x Batterskull
    1x Umezawa’s Jitte
    1x Sword of Fire and Ice

Enchantment (1)

1x Oblivion Ring

Land (20)

4x Plateau
    1x Mountain
    2x Plains
    1x Karakas
    4x Arid Mesa
    2x Marsh Flats
    2x Scalding Tarn
    4x Wasteland

Edit: This is a decklist made by reddit user pastrytime. This is not the list I run. I run the WBR list above at the moment, with all the discard spells.
    Last edited by Darkprince909; 06-18-2013 at 02:38 AM.

After testing RWU Miracle against the Devilblade v2.1, "Blackened Soul" Edition (Devilblade with Discard heheheh I love it!), I feel that its better by far as far as unfair matchups go. I had 2 Tundra in hand, I played one, passed. He wastes it and then Hymns my second one out and screws me on getting my second white mana source to get off either of the two EtA I have to just keep floating with my top. I never even get one off before I get smashed. My only win was a fast combo kill and that was unprotected. Risky, but necessary.

This thing could almost go for a Buried Alive and have an "all-in" combo-like plan between Buried Alive, Entombs and Proc. of Rebirth. No, but seriously, I really still just don't like the Flickerwhisps. It makes the deck feel a little too dilute for me. I prefer better cards in legacy than what this is, especially in the 2 to 3 best removal colors of the game, even on a critter-stick, its ability is simply lacking. I would go with the black splash like you have it now, "Blackened Soul" Style. And down with the Aether Vials. To the board at least, it slows you down so much imo.

-abc

Agreed that Vials just slow down the "Blackened Soul" edition, but in a straight RW build, if you wanted to go for that, it really doesn't slow you down that much at all, especially if it's a turn 1 play. But in WBR, I don't have room, nor do I think I need them. After all, I am running Vexing Shusher in the SB to get around countermagic.

Really, the only thing I wish I could change on this list right now is a little more stability in the mana base. It can be a little tricky having BB for Hymn, or WW for Crusader, sometimes. Other than that, the deck plays like a dream.

Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth perhaps? Or you may just have to add duals. I know you really don't want to but it may be the only choice. Lets playtest -2 Plateau, -1 Swamp, -1 Wasteland, +2 Badlands, +2 Urborg, ToYawgmoth.

Also, I really think I wanna see Sword of War and Peace in your maindeck. Then all you are scared of removal-wise is what? Bounce? Heheheh no. Also, good in the control matchup. I know you like your Body and Mind but I think this is the better option for the maindeck. Gives protection from Swords to Plowshares (This kills mom's protection, though) and bolts, and people are playing MisD's in MD these days and Diverts in the board. I dunno, what do you guys think? We have a limited amount of competition out here to say the least, so more practiced and active players' assistance would be highly informative and helpful for us to gain better insight into matchup analyses, broken plays, mulligan discussions and more.

Come over, we can get those ebay listings up tonight, also playtest some more.

-abc

Thread Information