Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Article]Eternal Europe: Legacy Intro Decks

[Article]Eternal Europe: Legacy Intro Decks

Not something for the experienced Legacy crowd this time, hopefully you enjoy it anyway :)

http://www.starcitygames.com/article...tro-Decks.html
    I don't have low self-esteem, I have low esteem for everyone else. -Daria

Proud member of Team CAB
    High Priest of the Church of BLA

CAB JaceTM

My articles

Re: [Article]Eternal Europe: Legacy Intro Decks

I wanted to see Doomsday in there with an ingenuous supporting paragraph selling it as noob-friendly. Then a first round feature match with a new player running the deck he saw on SCG... that would make my year.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

I'm always a fan of articles geared towards getting more people into the format, so thank you for that.

I'm curious though why Merfolk, Burn, and Dredge didn't make the cut?

Undefeated hair
    Jan 2012
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Esper3k View Post
    I'm always a fan of articles geared towards getting more people into the format, so thank you for that.

I'm pretty sure graveyard decks are automatically ruled out because you have to have such exact knowledge of how to play through grave hate and what to expect from every single deck.

Merfolk and Burn both seem like good choices though.

Well-written article as always!
    Languages and dates for every set. For all you true pimps.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Goblins would be good too.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

I was wondering why Tinfins wasn't in over Belcher - is it something to do with card availability/expense?

I decided to build Sneak and Show pretty much for the reasons mentioned in the article (know Magic well, but new to Legacy). That and I like the idea of cheating huge monsters into play.

shallow
    Aug 2010
    denver, co

Quote Originally Posted by Darkenslight View Post
    I was wondering why Tinfins wasn't in over Belcher - is it something to do with card availability/expense?
    Personally, I believe it's because sideboarding with Tin Fins is incredibly hard. The maindeck is very tight, and you need to have a good idea what hate they will be bringing in that you'll need answers to. That's generally the problem (as phazonmuant stated earlier) with graveyard decks in general. Usually Game 1 is straightfoward, and 2/3 because exponentially more difficult.

My opinion anyway.
    Find me on Twitter: @beanaman

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    His graveyard was a fucking encyclopedia of countermagic.

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

Quote Originally Posted by Esper3k View Post

He did mention that there is enough combo to prefer UR delver over straight mono-R burn. Since this isn't about budget, but about decks that easy easy starters on play-difficulty, the price difference is irrelevent. I would imagine dredge is out for similar reasons - hard to play optimally, especially postboard, and requires knowledge of common hate etc.

I think any deck with Cabal Therapy is pretty much out of the question as a noob deck.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    I think any deck with Cabal Therapy is pretty much out of the question as a noob deck.
    this. therapy naming... thragtusk? am I doing itright?
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Legacy Vagabond
    Dec 2007
    Cheshire, CT

Pump-Infect with blue for Daze and possibly Force of Will against combo would be another good example of a Legacy intro deck. It's easy to play and fun for a player as long as they know how to count to ten.

Jan 2013
    Ithaca, NY

Quote Originally Posted by (nameless one) View Post
    Goblins would be good too.
    In fact, not at all. It's actually pretty hard to play and there's a lot of decisions to be made.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by goblinsplayer View Post
    In fact, not at all. It's actually pretty hard to play and there's a lot of decisions to be made.
    I.could agree here. when I would play test goblins I was surprised at how.many decisions that I was making.
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Legacy Vagabond
    Dec 2007
    Cheshire, CT

Any deck that has a card that lets you search for anything other than lands shouldn't be classified as a Legacy intro deck.

Finally found a little time to reply to some things. Thanks a lot everybody for reading and caring enough to post. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside whenever I see it!

@force of phil: Lol, that would have been a sweet prank to pull off^^

@Esper3k: Thanks. As for the decks, Burn is, right now, a worse choice than UR Delver because combo is seeing play. Dredge actually is crazy hard to play if people have sideboard cards for you, not at all a deck I would suggest someone new to Legacy should start out with when planning to win. There's also the issue of it being so very different from regular Magic. Merfolk on the other hand is something that could definitely have made it in there, I just had to stop the article at some point. There maybe an argument that it should have been in there instead of UR Delver.

@phazonmu(t)ant ( ;) ): Thanks! And yes, graveyard decks are pretty much out (other than Oops, all spells, I guess) because playing through hate needs experience.

@(nameless one): Goblins is, in fact, not an easy deck to play in spite of being pretty much mono red and almost all creatures.

@Darkenslight: Tin Fins could have been in instead of Sneak and Show, though it's a lot more convoluted during the actual combo-turn than I'd be happy to give to someone who doesn't know the format. There's a lot of seemingly obvious stuff to mess up when you have half your deck in hand and don't really know how the format works to boot. Same reason I used Sneak and Show over OmniTell (or whatever that's called by now). Also, as .dk mentioned, boarding is pretty tough with the deck and so is playing through graveyard hate (the Entomb-stack trick alone is something I can see someone unexperienced get wrong in multiple ways).

Also I don't think any deck other than Oops, all spells could pick Belcher's role as a deck for someone new to not only Legacy but Magic as well. You basically need something that totally ignores what the opponent might be doing and just goes for it every single game exactly the same way.

@alphastryk: Yep, exactly.

@nedleeds: That, too!

@Shawon: Good suggestion! That might fit into a budget article, actually :D

@goblinsplayer: Such a fitting user name!^^ Quite true, though :)

Proud member of Team CAB

CAB JaceTM

My articles

Legacy Vagabond
    Dec 2007
    Cheshire, CT

@Shawon: Good suggestion! That might fit into a budget article, actually :D
    It would, if you took out Force of Will, Tropical Island, Berserk, fetchlands...

Quote Originally Posted by Shawon View Post
    It would, if you took out Force of Will, Tropical Island, Berserk, fetchlands...
    Right, Fetchlands exploded, too. Darn it. I saw an interesting-looking version without Forces in Strasbourg at x-2 before giving him his third loss. The same player nearly made top 8 in the Sunday event, too. Maybe there still is a budget deck somewhere in there (I mean, the deck is obviously still going to cost some money).

Proud member of Team CAB

CAB JaceTM

My articles

It's not easy being green

Jul 2010

I need your help. I want to hook a couple of friends into Legacy, and I'm thinking of giving them a couple proxied decks to play with. The problem is, what decks? I'd think the order would be something where you...

-don't kill yourself with a single mistake (*cough* DDFT *cough* TES *cough* This is not to say the deck can't be unforgiving, just to say that you shouldn't be able to deprive yourself from victory)
    -can discover cool things/fun synergies
    -games hopefully won't end in two turns
    -have a roughly even matchup between the decks
    -at least one deck is suitable for a player who dislikes the kind of "winning on technicalities" that Storm/Elves require.

So what would you suggest as gateway drugs? Would Canadian and Esperblade do nicely? Maverick and...?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear
    (On Innistrad)
    Yeah, an insanely powerful block which put the "derp!" factor in Legacy completely over the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
    I need your help. I want to hook a couple of friends into Legacy, and I'm thinking of giving them a couple proxied decks to play with. The problem is, what decks? I'd think the order would be something where you...

-don't kill yourself with a single mistake (*cough* DDFT *cough* TES *cough* This is not to say the deck can't be unforgiving, just to say that you shouldn't be able to deprive yourself from victory)
    -can discover cool things/fun synergies
    -games hopefully won't end in two turns
    -have a roughly even matchup between the decks
    -at least one deck is suitable for a player who dislikes the kind of "winning on technicalities" that Storm/Elves require.

So what would you suggest as gateway drugs? Would Canadian and Esperblade do nicely? Maverick and...?
    The three relatively easy decks to build are all Aggro strategies, with a modicum of control (Burn, RUG Delver and Merfolk). Those are easiest for aggressive players.
    For control, you're looking at Miracles, Death & Taxes, and Turbo Eldrazi, most likely.
    For Combo, Sneak Attack variants (Big Red, Sneak And Show) and Belcher/TinFins are probably the best bets.

Thread Information