Page 62 of 69 FirstFirst ... 1252585960616263646566 ... LastLast
Results 1,221 to 1,240 of 1369

Thread: [Deck] 8Tezz.dec - UB Tezzeret

Re: [Deck] 8Tezz.dec - UB Tezzeret

I like the diamonds because they've seemed to help get the early chalice / trinisphere a more consistently ( tho, small sample size ). 4 May be a bit overkill though.

I'll be making some more tweaks, possibly going back to trying a grixis version for my next few leagues later this week. Will try to remember to post back with list & results.

Regardless of grixis or straight u/b, Mox diamond allows for the most powerful thing in a vacuum this archetype is capable of. Turn 1 chalice into Turn 2 tezz isn't possible without Mox(not counting spirit guides or petals). I play 4 of in both

Nov 2016
    Kansas

Once again, Jake Farrar at 15th at SCG Worcester with Grixis Tezzeret! Congrats, Jake!

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deck...?DeckID=119250
    ╔═════════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ════════════════╗
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~Repost this if~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    ~ ~ ~ ~you are a beautiful strong tezz player~ ~ ~ ~
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~who don't need no tier 1 deck~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

╚═════════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ════════════════╝

Quote Originally Posted by gibsonjunkie View Post
    Once again, Jake Farrar at 15th at SCG Worcester with Grixis Tezzeret! Congrats, Jake!

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deck...?DeckID=119250
    Yes congrats !
    I hope he will make a report.

Dec 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA

Always good to see the deck doing well in a tournament!
    UBr Tezzeret
    Quote Originally Posted by sdematt View Post
    I mean, if you're going to play as 61st card, the card should cost over $100 I think.

Thanks guys! I had quite a time tracking down a Chains of Mephistopheles to borrow, but I found one in time (and now I can use my winnings to buy my own!!!)

Adding red for Dack and Daretti makes the deck SO much more consistent; I see tons more cards with Dack so I can find my hoser enchantments and lock up board states.

As for the tournament itself, my matchups went a little like this:

Day 1:
    Sneak and Show, 1-0
    Bridge and Foundry help against big attackers.

Turbo Depths, 2-0
    This was against the guy who drove me down to the event, as is tradition for anyone who travels to large events.

DnT, 2-1
    The judges entered my previous round's record backwards, so I actually got paired down against an acquaintance. After I lost, I said "Bummer, now I'm 2-1" to which he said "Wait, I'm 2-1 now..." then we checked the slip, went to the judges, they corrected my match 2 record, but kept the results of round 3.

Sneak and Show, 3-1
    Opponent hard-cast Omniscience against me (taking 6 from ancient tombs), tried to Brainstorm his Emrakul onto his library, but forgot about Chalice. (but I didn't actually pay any mana for iiiiittttttt) Attempted to go off with Release the Ants manually, and lost the clash to end that game and match.

R/W Bomberman, 4-1
    This was a spicy one. I lost Game 1 after he went infinite with LED and Walking Ballista, and games 2 and 3 he was on the Monastery Mentor beatdown plan. Luckily I had my Engineered Plague, so his Monks never got out of control. I won with Tezz 5/5 beats.

3/4C Deathrite (I grouped these all together, I know there are specific delineations between them but I wasn't able to determine them while playing), 5-1
    These decks blended together for me over the weekend, but there wasn't anything truly remarkable about them; I cast chalice on 1, they couldn't do anything, so I won.

3/4C Deathrite, 6-1

TES, 7-1
    Chalice is great against decks trying to cast lots of spells.

3/4C Deathrite, 8-1 to finish Day 1
    Off camera feature match. In Game 1, he scooped immediately after I cast Daretti from behind Chalice on 1, which is certainly an interesting reaction I did not anticipate.

Day 2:
    3/4C Deathrite, 9-1
    Another off camera match, another deathrite deck that loses to chalice.

Grixis Delver, 9-2
    Lost to Noah Walker on camera in round 11, commentators had a great time trying to identify some of the cards in my decklist. I had low impact hands, he had all the answers and a decent clock, so the games were over pretty quickly.

Turbo Depths, 9-3
    I lost the second game because I was too confident in my hexproof ensnaring bridge that was drawing me two cards a turn, and thought "What could kill me through this?" and discarded a force of will to Dack. Next turn, he made Marit Lage and cast Rite of consumption, hitting me for 20. Womp Womp.

3/4C Deathrite, 10-3
    This one was fun; I got to steal a Pithing Needle on Thopter Foundry, sac it for Transmute Artifact to find a Thopter Foundry, then combo off.

TES: 11-3
    I Transmute Artifact'd for a Chalice with no counters on it for the first time, and it locked him out of his mana rocks to secure the win for me.

Eldrazi, 11-4, Ended up 15th overall
    I had played against Dylan a few times before, but never in Legacy. He had two very explosive starts before I could get a defense up, but in game 2, I had The Abyss, so the only thing I was afraid of was running Reality Smashers. He hit me with one, down to 7, then he cast Warping Wail to make a scion for The Abyss trigger, attacked me down to 2, then cast another eldrazi to allow at least one to get in for lethal next turn.
    He made 7th after Swiss, and we had very similar breakers, so I'm pretty sure that was a win-and-in for me, but I just came to play Magic so I didn't let that get to me.

As far as changes to the deck, I anticipate a lot more artifact removal in the future, from cards like By Force, K Command, and Abrade, so Chalices aren't going to be as game-breaking as they have been recently. Definitely moving Padeem back into the main deck, probably in place of Daretti. I'm considering Collective Brutality as well, because it kills Deathrite and more opponent hand information is great.
    Last edited by Peebs; 03-05-2018 at 01:08 PM.

Jan 2014
    Baltimore, MD

Quote Originally Posted by Peebs View Post
    Thanks guys! I had quite a time tracking down a Chains of Mephistopheles to borrow, but I found one in time (and now I can use my winnings to buy my own!!!)
    Congrats on the finish. I had multiple friends message me over the weekend telling me that Tezz was on camera. Unfortuatenly I was unable to tune in to watch.

I'm contemplating playing Tezz at an upcoming team event. What is a suitable replacement if I don't have Chains of Mephistopheles? I got the Abyss covered though! :-)

I would jam Slaughter Games or another way to beat decks that rely on drawing cards to find their win conditions, which also happen to be blue decks that want to counter everything that tries to stop them from doing so.
    Maybe Notion Thief if you're UB?

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

As far as changes to the deck, I anticipate a lot more artifact removal in the future, from cards like By Force, K Command, and Abrade, so Chalices aren't going to be as game-breaking as they have been recently. Definitely moving Padeem back into the main deck, probably in place of Daretti. I'm considering Collective Brutality as well, because it kills Deathrite and more opponent hand information is great.
    It's kind of interesting that you have been having as much success as you have with the Czech Pile (4c control) matchups. I primarily play on MTGO and have a lot of trouble with that MU. I've found that I usually run into situations where all my stuff gets decayed/blasted/k-commanded and i'm just unable to do anything. Any advice for the matchup? How do you find yourself normally boarding in that matchup?

Congrats on your tournament run!
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatDeleuzeGuy View Post
    I want to play as close to possible a 100% reactive deck that also approached 0% variance in how it played. I want to play magic with as little variance as possible. Also had a foiled out miracles deck that was an investment of about 6 grand that is now nearly worthless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    My original post did that.

I'd love to have a battle of wits with you but I see you lack the necessary equipment.

Good day.

Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    It's kind of interesting that you have been having as much success as you have with the Czech Pile (4c control) matchups. I primarily play on MTGO and have a lot of trouble with that MU. I've found that I usually run into situations where all my stuff gets decayed/blasted/k-commanded and i'm just unable to do anything. Any advice for the matchup? How do you find yourself normally boarding in that matchup?

Congrats on your tournament run!
    MU advice:
    Play around Daze as much as you can. Your Sol lands are great for this, but denying them the opportunity to freely fill their GY is big for delaying Gurmag Angler a turn or two until you can find Bridge. I usually run Mana rocks out first if I'm on the draw to bait counters, and save my more impactful artifacts for a turn or two later. On the play you're trying to jam and protect Chalice, and there's really not that much else that matters. They're GOING to counter at least some of your stuff, don't get too worried about having it happen and just stream out must-answer cards.

For siding:
    If I see Young Pyromancer, I'll bring in Engineered Plague and the other Ballista, but if not, then just Chains, Deluge, Padeem (will be MB going forward), Misdirection, and Trinisphere. If I see a higher than normal amount of counters in game 1, I'll also bring in Lodestones.

I'll usually take out about 2 Forces, 1 Thopter Foundry, 1-2 Baleful Strix, maybe a Signet. Signets are crucial to get around Wasteland, so I never take out more than 1, but decks heavier on 4 colors tend to play fewer copies, so one is ok with Mox Diamonds (since your nonbasics are going into the GY anyway!).

Thanks, I hope I can bring it to more events soon and get more reps with it beyond these last two events and FNM!

Nov 2016
    Kansas

How did 3 Dack Fayden feel? I'm on two but have been contemplating going up to three.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I think 3 is the correct number, but I would consider playing 2 if I needed room for another main deck card.

Thinking about Magic...
    Jan 2011
    Italy

I would jam Slaughter Games or another way to beat decks that rely on drawing cards to find their win conditions, which also happen to be blue decks that want to counter everything that tries to stop them from doing so.
    Maybe Notion Thief if you're UB?
    Congratz on the finish! I run grixis too with a list very similar to yours (basically no fows, no ballista, 1 more land/daretti/bridge/deluge and 1 trini MD) and I would like to know:
    - how where the fows? didn't they feel awkward with so few blu pitch which are all so good to play?
    - how was ballista? did it really shine or something like a second deluge would have been the same?
    - against which deck do you side Misdirection in?
    - why no blood moon in the side? I think it's a great card to have this days, and we can land it turn1 to hardlock 4c control and such

You should definetly try a couple of slaughter games in the side because apart destroying combo, they are useful against control too, since the rely on few threats. In my list they take your lodestone golem's slots, if it can help.

EDIT: how do you guys play against big eldrazi? they ramp very fast with sol lands and artifacts and I don't think we can manage their threats (newlamog, ugin, ecc...)
    Ignorance is strength

Quote Originally Posted by kingtk3 View Post
    Congratz on the finish! I run grixis too with a list very similar to yours (basically no fows, no ballista, 1 more land/daretti/bridge/deluge and 1 trini MD) and I would like to know:
    - how where the fows? didn't they feel awkward with so few blu pitch which are all so good to play?
    - how was ballista? did it really shine or something like a second deluge would have been the same?
    - against which deck do you side Misdirection in?
    - why no blood moon in the side? I think it's a great card to have this days, and we can land it turn1 to hardlock 4c control and such

You should definetly try a couple of slaughter games in the side because apart destroying combo, they are useful against control too, since the rely on few threats. In my list they take your lodestone golem's slots, if it can help.

EDIT: how do you guys play against big eldrazi? they ramp very fast with sol lands and artifacts and I don't think we can manage their threats (newlamog, ugin, ecc...)
    Thank you!
    -Force felt very necessary; lots of combo decks in the northeast Legacy scene. I had 19 blue cards main, and for this tournament I brought the fourth Force from the side to the main in place of Trinisphere.
    -Ballista was great against Young Pyromancer and DnT (although I still lost those matches). I like my configuration of 1 each Ballista 1 Deluge main and 1 each side, because sometimes your opponents don't have any creatures and they're dead cards.
    -Misdirection comes in against decks that play Abrupt Decay, since they often have a deathrite as well (or even better, True-Name!) that can take that bullet for your Chalice. Maybe even High tide, if they still play BSZ?
    -I didn't really think of Blood Moon in this deck, but artifact mana plays very well along side land locks like BM. I think there's plenty of annoying cards for 4c to deal with already, but I'll keep it in mind going forward.
    I used Lodestone to hose Storm and also put a clock on them, but SG can definitely do the first part without being countered.

I lost the only match I played against Eldrazi, but it really comes down to landing and protecting Bridge ASAP. The Abyss definitely helps as well, and you've also got some free slots main against them (since they also play chalice, those come out immediately!) Slaughter games is at its best here, as Ulamog is basically their only way to get rid of bridge (since you should be stealing their ratchet bombs with Dack!)

Hey Guys,
    first time posting on the Source, made an account only for the love of Tezzeret.

first of all, congrats to Jake for the 15th place with this beauty!

I've been playing Tezzerator for about 3 months and have surely a lot to learn!
    Especially the Sideboard gives me a hard time, with all this options and the powerful black enchantments this deck allows us to play, Abyss, Chains and Nether Void.
    Luckily I own two copies of each one. But how many of wich one are the right amount in the SB? Keep it "traditional" and play only one Abyss and one Chains?
    And does Nether Void make any sense at all?
    At the moment I try two Abyss and one Chains, sometimes topdecking a second Abyss is a bit awkward especially when you don't have the Greatest Thief in the Multiverse to loot it away.

My current List

//Lands
    1 Academy Ruins
    4 Ancient Tomb
    1 Bloodstained Mire
    1 City of Traitors
    1 Inventors' Fair
    2 Island
    4 Polluted Delta
    2 Scalding Tarn
    1 Swamp
    3 Underground Sea
    2 Volcanic Island

//Planeswalker
    3 Dack Fayden
    4 Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas

//Artifacts
    2 Sword of the Meek
    3 Thopter Foundry
    4 Chalice of the Void
    2 Ensnaring Bridge
    3 Dimir Signet
    4 Mox Diamond

//Stuff
    4 Force of Will
    1 Toxic Deluge
    2 Transmute Artifact

//Creatures
    4 Baleful Strix
    1 Walking Ballista
    1 Padeem, Consul of Innovation

//Sideboard
    1 Chains of Mephistopheles
    2 Daretti, Ingenious Iconoclast
    1 Helm of Obedience
    4 Leyline of the Void
    2 Lodestone Golem
    1 Misdirection
    2 The Abyss
    1 Toxic Deluge
    1 Trinisphere

greetings from Germany!

Tobi

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDonnerball View Post
    Hey Guys,
    first time posting on the Source, made an account only for the love of Tezzeret.

first of all, congrats to Jake for the 15th place with this beauty!

I've been playing Tezzerator for about 3 months and have surely a lot to learn!
    Especially the Sideboard gives me a hard time, with all this options and the powerful black enchantments this deck allows us to play, Abyss, Chains and Nether Void.
    Luckily I own two copies of each one. But how many of wich one are the right amount in the SB? Keep it "traditional" and play only one Abyss and one Chains?
    And does Nether Void make any sense at all?
    At the moment I try two Abyss and one Chains, sometimes topdecking a second Abyss is a bit awkward especially when you don't have the Greatest Thief in the Multiverse to loot it away.

My current List

//Lands
    1 Academy Ruins
    4 Ancient Tomb
    1 Bloodstained Mire
    1 City of Traitors
    1 Inventors' Fair
    2 Island
    4 Polluted Delta
    2 Scalding Tarn
    1 Swamp
    3 Underground Sea
    2 Volcanic Island

//Planeswalker
    3 Dack Fayden
    4 Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas

//Artifacts
    2 Sword of the Meek
    3 Thopter Foundry
    4 Chalice of the Void
    2 Ensnaring Bridge
    3 Dimir Signet
    4 Mox Diamond

//Stuff
    4 Force of Will
    1 Toxic Deluge
    2 Transmute Artifact

//Creatures
    4 Baleful Strix
    1 Walking Ballista
    1 Padeem, Consul of Innovation

//Sideboard
    1 Chains of Mephistopheles
    2 Daretti, Ingenious Iconoclast
    1 Helm of Obedience
    4 Leyline of the Void
    2 Lodestone Golem
    1 Misdirection
    2 The Abyss
    1 Toxic Deluge
    1 Trinisphere

greetings from Germany!

Tobi
    Welcome!

I like The Abyss vs various flavors of BUG and Eldrazi... so if you expect those then more copies should be fine. It does nothing vs TNN though. If I owned 2 Chains, I'd definitely run both in my SB with a full playset of MD Dack's:-)

Nov 2016
    Kansas

From the Dominaria spoilers today:

The Antiquities War
    3U Enchantment — Saga

(As this Saga enters and after your draw step, add a lore counter. Sacrifice after III.)

I, II — Look at the top five cards of your library. You may reveal an artifact card from among them and put it into your hand. Put the rest on the bottom of your library in a random order.

III — Artifacts you control become artifact creatures with base power and toughness 5/5 until end of turn.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Dec 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA

I'm really excited to test Damping Sphere, I think that card might have a lot of potential even if it does mess with our sol lands.

EDIT: I think The Antiquities War is probably garbage. It's a worse Tezz, AoB that can't even make chump blockers in a pinch.
    UBr Tezzeret
    I mean, if you're going to play as 61st card, the card should cost over $100 I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Undomian View Post
    I'm really excited to test Damping Sphere, I think that card might have a lot of potential even if it does mess with our sol lands.

EDIT: I think The Antiquities War is probably garbage. It's a worse Tezz, AoB that can't even make chump blockers in a pinch.
    Kinda narrow, but antiquities war is probably decent sideboard tech against pile. It dies to red blasts just the same as tezz and dack, but it can't be attacked or bolted off the table like dack and tezz.

Dec 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA

Quote Originally Posted by a tribe called trest View Post
    Kinda narrow, but antiquities war is probably decent sideboard tech against pile. It dies to red blasts just the same as tezz and dack, but it can't be attacked or bolted off the table like dack and tezz.
    As with any card it can't hurt to playtest it, but I can think of a few other 4-mana do-nothings that are probably more effective in that matchup, and I even play one of them.
    UBr Tezzeret

Thread Information