Page 67 of 69 FirstFirst ... 175763646566676869 LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,340 of 1369

Thread: [Deck] 8Tezz.dec - UB Tezzeret

Judgy Curmudgeon
    Feb 2006

Re: [Deck] 8Tezz.dec - UB Tezzeret

Quote Originally Posted by nfurno View Post
    Thanks for your advice! I was wondering if you knew of any good starting points for a strait up blue black list could be found online?
    4 Baleful Strix
    4 Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas
    3 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    2 Sword of the Meek
    2 Thopter Foundry
    2 Dimir Signet
    4 Talisman of Dominance
    4 Chalice of the Void
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Staff of Nin
    1 The Abyss

3 Transmute Artifact
    1 Damnation
    2 Thirst for Knowledge
    4 Force of Will

3 Darkslick Shores
    1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    1 Academy Ruins
    1 Seat of the Synod
    3 Polluted Delta
    3 City of Traitors
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Underground Sea
    1 Island
    1 Swamp

SB
    -
    1 Toxic Deluge
    1 Grafdigger's Cage
    2 Sorcerers Spyglass
    2 Ensnaring Bridge
    3 Lodestone Golem
    1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Traxos, Scourge of Kroog
    2 Sun Droplet
    2 Misdirection
    1 No Mercy

Traxos is *HILARIOUS* G2 when cards like STP get boarded out. He and his buddies (the Lodestone gang) are awfully good against any kind of control deck that is likely shaving removal, and you're not typically keeping Bridges around for that. Sun Droplets are still there cause burn is everywhere. If you want a stronger anti-graveyard plan, 3-4 Leyline and a Helmet are great board options since you can actually cast Leyline reasonably often.

I've been messing around with Search for Azcanta over TfK in 'testing' (aka fun games where I'm not playing SnS for practice) and I am becoming more interested in it with the influx of decks that are very cold to CotV starts. I think it's quite a bit stronger in the Mox Diamond lists since it's a reasonable T1 play. Honestly, if RUG (and Stifle...) wasn't making a comeback, I might be prepared to let Undomain's UBr list get some reps, but I can't imagine playing in a room with more than 10 people and dodging Delver as much as they can. Maybe something like this?

4 Baleful Strix

3 Search for Azcanta
    3 Transmute Artifact
    4 Force of Will

2 Thopter Foundry
    2 Sword of the Meek
    2 Ensnaring Bridge
    4 Chalice of the Void

1 The Abyss
    1 Damnation

3 Dack Fayden
    3 Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas

4 Mox Diamond
    2 Dimir Signet
    -
    38 Spells

4 Ancient Tomb
    2 City of Traitors
    3 Polluted Delta
    2 Bloodstained Mire
    3 Underground Sea
    3 Volcanic Island
    1 Badlands
    1 Island
    1 Swamp
    1 Urborg, Tomb of Yagwmoth
    1 Academy Ruins
    -
    22 Lands
    Check out my Legacy UBTezz Primer. Chalice of the Void: Keeping Magic Fair.
    -----
    Playing since '96. Brief forced break '02-04. Former/Idle Judge since '05. Told Smmenen to play faster at Vintage Worlds.
    -----
    Most of the 'Ban brainstorm!' arguments are based on the logic that 'more different cards should get played in Legacy', as though the success or health of the format can be measured by the portion of cards that are available and see play. This is an idiotic metric.

Judgy Curmudgeon
    Feb 2006

Small note, and apologies for the doublepost in my own thread, but I have briefly updated the OP with my current 75, along with a few notes regarding the fact that legacy is different today than it was 4 years ago :P
    -----
    Playing since '96. Brief forced break '02-04. Former/Idle Judge since '05. Told Smmenen to play faster at Vintage Worlds.
    -----
    Most of the 'Ban brainstorm!' arguments are based on the logic that 'more different cards should get played in Legacy', as though the success or health of the format can be measured by the portion of cards that are available and see play. This is an idiotic metric.

Dec 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA

I do keep the list in my Google doc reasonably updated if you wanted to put a more recent Grixis list in there too.

Admittedly, though, I haven't had a ton of opportunities to test new things in the new metagame, so that'll be changing soon enough. That said, RUG Delver is one of the more positive Delver variants, even with the outdated list. MB they straight up can't beat a Bridge, and even sideboard they have a difficult time dealing with most permanents in our deck (assuming you play around their Stifles and similar and can actually cast them).
    UBr Tezzeret
    Quote Originally Posted by sdematt View Post
    I mean, if you're going to play as 61st card, the card should cost over $100 I think.

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Undomian View Post
    I do keep the list in my Google doc reasonably updated if you wanted to put a more recent Grixis list in there too.

Admittedly, though, I haven't had a ton of opportunities to test new things in the new metagame, so that'll be changing soon enough. That said, RUG Delver is one of the more positive Delver variants, even with the outdated list. MB they straight up can't beat a Bridge, and even sideboard they have a difficult time dealing with most permanents in our deck (assuming you play around their Stifles and similar and can actually cast them).
    I have been playing your list on MTGO (or atleast a modified version, i'm playing -1 chains, -1 abyss +2 kcommands) with moderate success. The games feel a lot more winnable with DRS out of the format but sometimes they have their delver draws and you just sit there awkwardly figuring out how to not get mana screwed while still casting your spells but that is the life of a 3 color chalice deck.

The best part of MTGO is all the UWx control, one of the bread and butter matchups of Tezz.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatDeleuzeGuy View Post
    I want to play as close to possible a 100% reactive deck that also approached 0% variance in how it played. I want to play magic with as little variance as possible. Also had a foiled out miracles deck that was an investment of about 6 grand that is now nearly worthless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    My original post did that.

I'd love to have a battle of wits with you but I see you lack the necessary equipment.

Good day.

I have been playing a somewhat different version. In ~2012 I played Tezzerator and made reference to the lists in this thread, but I didn't play this between then and now. Then about a week ago, after messing with green stompy, I had the urge to play deck with a stompy mana base that could generate big card advantage instead of just going aggro. My idea was to use Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas / The Antiquities War / Paradoxical Outcome as the card advantage generators, with Paradoxical Outcome playing off of Mox Opal, mana rocks, Tangle Wire, Baleful Strix, and Trinket Mage. Then a package of Trinket Mage targets would round out the deck. I had partial success with Paradoxical Outcome --- it's fun to draw 5 or 6 cards digging for Force of Will at instant speed when the bounced cards also generate value when you recast them. However, Paradoxical Outcome is negative tempo when you don't have a Vintage mana base, and I gradually shaved copies away in exchange for more stability until I had zero copies left. I could still see one or two copies in the main deck or sideboard, but not 4.

The Antiquities War, however, has been consistently impressive, and I've kept 4 copies in the main deck. Together with Tezzeret, the War gives you 8 ways to dig for artifacts and make them into 5/5s. The Antiquities War is very hard to remove. Most decks don't have ways to remove a 4cc enchantment. Unlike Tezzeret, it cannot be killed in combat, so you can play it and get the ball rolling even when the opponent has an active threat. Once the ball is rolling, the opponent needs to find a solution to a large number of 5/5 attackers; and even if they withstand that attack, The Antiquities War already dug twice, so you're still coming out ahead.

Another advantage of my list is that, in matchups where Chalice is good, there are effectively 8 Chalices. You can run the first Chalice into a Force of Will and get another with Trinket Mage a turn or two later. Since Force of Will is card disadvantage, this is a good chain of events.

Now that I've checked out this thread I can see that current lists have many strengths that mine does not have. For example, I'm not running Thopter/Sword, Leyline/Helm, or Dack/Crucible/Wasteland, and those all look really effective. I just thought I'd share my current list. I have played 19 Bo3 matches and 8 individual games so far --- enough to cut stuff that is obviously failing but not long enough to optimize, especially in the sideboard.

Of those Bo3 matches, only a handful were done with 4 Gemstone Caverns in the sideboard. I added this because I couldn't keep up against aggressive decks when they were on the play. I don't board them in every postboard game on the draw --- in value matchups, I leave them out. Some matchups are more about tempo than value, however, and often your manabase is under attack in those matchups, so the free land drop sometimes works. So far, Gemstone Caverns has helped me get postboard wins against Moon Stompy, UBR Death's Shadow, and Eldrazi Aggro. (I have run into Moon Stompy and Eldrazi Aggro a lot.) I would also try it against Death and Taxes, Merfolk, and Goblins, I think. A lot of these are decks where Chalice comes out, too, so this gives you room to increase your land count, if necessary, against decks that pressure your mana. I'll keep Gemstone Caverns around for now.

This list does have ways to interact with the opponent, so it's not all-in on a short game, but it's definitely less controlling than other lists here and more about getting a big alpha strike with The Antiquities War.
    Games that I win: A large majority of games where I either land The Antiquities War or get 2 planeswalker activations off of Tezzeret. As always, Chalice gives free wins.
    Games that I lose: Inconsistent openers. The mana base is a mixture that's hard to get right (you need colors, fast mana, and lots of artifacts --- all in the right balance). Fiery Confluence. Aggressive beatdown starts (Rabblemaster, Eldrazi) that prevent Tezzeret from sticking. Tempo/wasteland openings from the opponent are often hard, but those decks are also hosed by Chalice, so maybe it evens out.

My current list (like I said, not optimized, especially not the sideboard):

Maindeck:
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Underground Sea
    3 Mox Opal
    3 Underground River
    1 Island
    1 Jeweled Amulet
    1 Vault of Whispers
    1 Seat of the Synod

4 Force of Will
    1 Tormod's Crypt

1 Engineered Explosives

4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Baleful Strix
    3 Dimir Signet
    1 Talisman of Dominance
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Hangarback Walker

4 Tangle Wire
    4 Trinket Mage
    1 Thirst for Knowledge

4 Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas
    4 The Antiquities War
    1 Traxos, Scourge of Kroog

Sideboard:
    1 Damping Sphere
    1 Cursed Totem
    1 Briber’s Purse
    1 Phyrexian Metamorph
    1 Ratchet Bomb
    1 Helm of Possession
    1 Tsabo’s Web
    1 Sorcerous Spyglass
    1 Null Brooch
    2 Flusterstorm
    4 Gemstone Caverns
    Last edited by BirdsOfParadise; 08-15-2018 at 12:10 AM.

Judgy Curmudgeon
    Feb 2006

Quote Originally Posted by BirdsOfParadise View Post
    ...The Antiquities War...
    I think my biggest problem with the Sagas (and this was discussed HEAVILY during the preview stage) is that they remove the versatility of Planeswalkers. There are specific actions that have a schedule for the next 2 turns, and that information (especially stapled to an expensive permanent that doesn't dramatically impact the board the turn it comes down) means the initial effect isn't often worth the cost.''

Every time a nifty Enchantment comes out, we try it, and we lose to Delvers and Dazes. Planeswalkers are the most powerful board control thing to do in the 4 Mana slot not just because of the recurring abilities, but because of the option they give you.

Side note, are you choosing not to run Diamonds? They seem like they would typically be better than Opal or Chrome Mox.
    -----
    -----

So after proxying up the deck and having an absolute blast playing it I’ve decided to buy the rest of the pieces that I need to own the deck. I was wondering how viable the deck is in a more competitive setting? And I was also wondering if The Abyss and Chains of Mephistopheles are an absolute MUST have in the deck? I may pick up an Abyss at a later date but if it’s not necessary then I’m not going to rush into buying one. Thanks for any replies in advance.

The Legends enchantments have very unique effects, and there's no real substitute for them, but they aren't absolutely essential for the deck to function. They're definitely a nice-to-have, but not a need-to-have.

As far as competitiveness, Chalice decks are usually a good bet in an unknown meta. There's a high likelihood of your opponents playing CMC1 cards, and being able to shut them off some of the most popular cards in the format while protecting your gameplan is a good strategy in Legacy. I always feel like this deck has the tools to beat just about any matchup, and with the amount of tutor and search effects, you have a high chance of seeing the cards that will swing postboard games. The deck rewards you for knowing which lines are relevant against each deck, so practice against the whole format is definitely recommended.

Judgy Curmudgeon
    Feb 2006

Quote Originally Posted by max_sanchez_jr View Post
    So after proxying up the deck and having an absolute blast playing it I’ve decided to buy the rest of the pieces that I need to own the deck. I was wondering how viable the deck is in a more competitive setting? And I was also wondering if The Abyss and Chains of Mephistopheles are an absolute MUST have in the deck? I may pick up an Abyss at a later date but if it’s not necessary then I’m not going to rush into buying one. Thanks for any replies in advance.
    'Pet' cards like Chains or The Abyss are certainly not essential - you have a couple of flexible slots for the effect of your choice. You could run a Damnation in place of The Abyss and never notice it.

Quote Originally Posted by Peebs View Post
    ...As far as competitiveness, Chalice decks are usually a good bet in an unknown meta. There's a high likelihood of your opponents playing CMC1 cards, and being able to shut them off some of the most popular cards in the format while protecting your gameplan is a good strategy in Legacy.
    Quoted for Truthery. Chalice decks tend to be good or bad based on the environment around them, and I like UB tools a hell of a lot more than stuff like the Mono-R Prison build. This deck has a good matchup against Control, a reasonable/even matchup against Delver strategies, and it doesn't auto-scoop to combo. Your weakest matchups are typically The Card Show And Tell, and decks that play assorted green/white value idiots. If you feel the need to cast Brainstorm, this deck isn't for you. If you want to punish those people, it might be up your alley.
    -----
    -----

Unmoored Ego looks like an interesting sideboard card for a couple of reasons:

-Shores up matchups against dedicated combo decks
    -Easy to get out turn 2
    -Pitches to Force
    -Can hit lands
    -Don't need to wait for a copy to hit the GY to exile them all like Surgical

Most combo decks don't stay on an all-or-nothing plan after sideboarding, but even getting a peek through your opponent's hand and deck is good to plan any future tutor targets. Removing a wincon from some decks could be a finishing blow, though.

Nov 2013
    London

Surprised myself by making top4 of a local event (35 people), thought I'd share some notes. The credit for the list goes to @Hellraiser157, I only tuned a few slots according to my taste. It was the first time I played the deck vs real opponents, I only did some goldfishing the day before the event. Misplays were abundant, some of my memories might be slightly incorrect - apologies for that.

2 Dimir Signet
    3 Thopter Foundry
    4 Chalice of the Void
    2 Sword of the Meek
    3 Mox Diamond
    2 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Sorcerous Spyglass
    4 Baleful Strix
    1 Walking Ballista
    1 Ghirapur Aether Grid
    1 Search for Azcanta
    4 Force of Will
    3 Island
    1 Swamp
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Polluted Delta
    2 Underground Sea
    2 Volcanic Island
    1 Academy Ruins
    2 Scalding Tarn
    1 City of Traitors
    1 Inventors' Fair
    1 Vault of Whispers
    3 Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas
    3 Dack Fayden
    2 Transmute Artifact
    1 Toxic Deluge

1 Helm of Obedience
    1 Blood Moon
    2 Thought-Knot Seer
    1 Spellskite
    1 Padeem, Consul of Innovation
    4 Leyline of the Void
    1 The Abyss
    1 Chains of Mephistopheles
    1 Engineered Plague
    1 Karn, Scion of Urza
    1 Unmoored Ego

R1 vs Merfolk 2-1

G1 I cannot really put Foundry to use because of islandwalk. I play Bridge but draw second Force on that turn, putting me to 4 cards, and the opponent alpha strikes for the win. If there was any spell cast, I'd be able to hide under Bridge reasonably long. G2 opp debates countering my Foundry but decides not to, I don't play any islands and assemble an army of thopters; lonely TNN pumped by the lords doesn't get there in time and I successfully race. G3 I don't remember well, but there was a lot of useful permanents on my side of the board (Search, Karn, Dack, smth else) and after some struggle I closed the game with Tezz ultimate.

R2 vs Grixis Control 2-0

G1 was decided by Academy Ruins that gave me inevitability with Chalices and Bridge. Liliana's ulti didn't do much since the zombies couldn't attack, and the thopters were victorious. G2 was misplays galore. I think I had CotV for some early game disruption. I played Padeem which kept drawing me cards, and then Chains of Mephistopheles which hurt me more than my opponent. I also missed one or two activations of Dack when it could have just wrecked the opponent's hand. Still, all my permanents were too much for him.

R3 vs OmniSneak 0-2

G1 I had an early CotV which gave me plenty of time, but I couldn't get enough pressure or find Bridge. Finally, he resolved SnT and put Omniscience into play. I managed to stay alive for 2 turns of being attacked by Griselbrand and Emrakul (with Dack on some 12ish counters), but I couldn't do much else. G2 was pretty much the same, I didn't get many lock pieces, got shown an Omni, then Griselbrand, then my two Transmute Artifacts were countered and that was it.

R4 vs Esper Stoneblade 1-2

G1 I'm lucky to steal Batterskull with Dack and wipe the board with Deluge on the same turn. I proceed to draw Ghirapur Aether Grid, then Sword and Foundry, and the game's over. G2 I keep a very greedy hand and don't get the second colored mana source in time while being hit with hymns and whatnot. G3 the wheels fell off and I was just drawing air staring at Gideon and Liliana which sealed the game.

R5 vs Grixis Delver 2-0

G1 I resolve a Chalice (first was countered) which hinders the opponent enough for me to get time and assemble all I need. G2 Dack's looting helped me immensely, but after the opponent blew up my Chalice (I had a backup one but I pitched it to Transmute Artifact, which in hindsight was a bad play), he was able to shoot down Tezzeret and do some cantripping. Still, Bridge held the ground and finally I got enough artifacts to drain him for 20 with Tezz's ulti.

R6 vs Grixis Control 2-0

G1 IIRC I had Chalice, Foundry and Sword, the Strixes didn't help opponent much, he blocked with 3 to save Jace but I played Spyglass after that and that was it. G2 Padeem helped a lot, drawing me cards and protecting Chalice. Jace hit the table, I cracked Inventors' Fair for Spyglass which got countered. I could Force back but decided not to and proceeded to make tons of thopters instead, using Force to protect Foundry from KCommand.

After that, I happened to be the only lucky 4-2 to make it to top8 (8th place obviously). Every match I played, I was on the draw which might have mattered.

Quarterfinals vs Miracles 2-0

G1 I play Search for Azcanta T1 which gets forced. Then I get Thopter-Sword online early and proceed to win with 3 FoW in hand, meeting no resistance. G2 was very quick: T1 Chains, T2 Dack +1 targeting the opponent, T3 repeat, then Chains ate Celestial purge but the damage had already been done and then Dack drew me all I needed to win.

Semifinals vs Eldrazi Post 0-2

I knew this was going to be tough - the stompy version is much easier to beat. G1 I assembled Thopter-Sword early and could block 3 attackers every turn but I was not advancing my board and then All is Dust hit Foundry. I got low enough on life that playing Tezz didn't help - even if I +1'd into Bridge, I was one mana short, and -1 targeting my Dimir Signet would still make his attack lethal (I needed to block 2 out of 3 creatures). G2 I boarded all I reasonably could, including Blood Moon and Helm combo to try and close the game quickly. I was off to a good start from a mull to 6, but I had no SB gamebreakers. I assembled my combo once again, then Foundry got Dusted, I immediately topdecked another one and that kept me alive a bit longer. I found a Bridge and that protected me from the big attacks, but then Spyglass locked Foundry, Endbringer shot down the thopters and started pinging me, and Walking Ballista could go under the bridge and grow before damage (he had 15ish mana total), and soon it was over.

3rd place decider vs OmniSneak 0-2

G1 was short and brutal (Show-Omni-Emrakul). G2 I boarded heavily but my starting 7 was mediocre. After a mull I got T2 TKS and then Chalice; I had to take Emrakul because his hand had both Show and Sneak, along with Abrade and Ponder. I hit with TKS for two turns, then it was like Show (I put Bridge)-Omni-Griselbrand-draw 7-Intuition (but there were only 2 Emrakuls left, so the 3rd card was Cunning Wish)-Wish-Firemind's Foresight-Release the Ants kill. This is not unwinnable, but you gotta draw pretty much all the hate you can to put up a fight post SB. Again, if this was SnS, Bridges could have helped, but Omni doesn't care.

Got my 2 Snapcasters as a prize and a lot of fun. The deck felt great and absurdly powerful, no one was really prepared for the little thopter guys and it was much more consistent than I expected. I would probably switch Karn in SB for Daretti going forward. Trinisphere would also be good, but I don't know what else to trim for it.

Hi heat_wave,

great to hear, that u had success with this Grixis Build.
    How was the Search for Azcanta for you? I found myself leaving it unflipped most of the time.

Have u tried the new hot tech with Antiquities War?

I'm trying 1-2 Karn, Scion of Urzas in the MB right now.

I really like this deck and curious who Ark4n is or if anyone has opinions on this:

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/1448950#paper

4x Antiquities War and 4x Karn, Scion of Urza

Would love to hear some opinions! Also, is there a Discord for the handful of us interested? Thanks in advance!

I'm also interested in this variant of the deck
    I'm curious about the Ensnaring Bridges which seem awkward with AQWar and Karn
    I think the deck should probably try to play 1 Academy Ruins because it's very good with Baleful Strix and EE

Mudslinger
    Oct 2017
    Long Island, New York

Hi all you tezz fans. I usually play mud, and recently did well at ew with the enemy (I sorry). I had a couple of questions. Why not chains or meph mb, and a second sb (assuming you own or proxy test them)? Why not run impulse to dig faster and harder? Has daretti (BR) fallen out of favor? Thanks, all.
    We speak for no one, we hear no one, we see no one

Quote Originally Posted by malfie13 View Post
    Hi all you tezz fans. I usually play mud, and recently did well at ew with the enemy (I sorry). I had a couple of questions. Why not chains or meph mb, and a second sb (assuming you own or proxy test them)? Why not run impulse to dig faster and harder? Has daretti (BR) fallen out of favor? Thanks, all.
    Hi there!
    To answer your questions:

Chains can be pretty clunky in the MD, and sometimes it's just plain dead against some decks, which makes it an excellent SB card. MD slots are usually pretty tight as it is, anyway.

Impulse seems alright, but you've already got Tezz, Dack, Antiquities War, and/or Karn to dig for threats/answers, and more often than not, the deck is looking to play at sorcery speed with Force as its only real card that gets played during the opponent's turn.

I'm a huge fan of BR Daretti, but lately, many decks are eschewing red entirely, opting for the more consistent UB (or even mono-U) version. Up to personal preference and card availability, I suppose; splashing a third color can warp your manabase and makes the deck more susceptible to Wasteland.

Separate topic to avoid double-posting: I came across this 5-0 list on the Wizards site that appears similar to mine, but with some notable changes:

ITOKEN (5-0)

1 Dack Fayden
    1 Daretti, Ingenious Iconoclast
    2 Karn, Scion of Urza
    2 Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas
    4 Baleful Strix
    1 Toxic Deluge
    2 Transmute Artifact
    3 Force of Will
    4 Chalice of the Void
    1 Crucible of Worlds
    2 Dimir Signet
    1 Engineered Explosives
    3 Ensnaring Bridge
    3 Mox Diamond
    2 Sorcerous Spyglass
    2 Sword of the Meek
    2 Thopter Foundry
    2 Monastery Siege
    1 Academy Ruins
    3 Ancient Tomb
    1 City of Traitors
    2 Island
    4 Polluted Delta
    1 Scalding Tarn
    1 Sunken Ruins
    2 Swamp
    3 Underground Sea
    1 Volcanic Island
    3 Wasteland

1 Force of Will
    1 Arcane Laboratory
    1 Back to Basics
    2 Flusterstorm
    1 Guardian Beast
    1 Helm of Obedience
    4 Leyline of the Void
    1 Liliana, the Last Hope
    1 The Abyss
    2 Unmoored Ego

I bolded some of the more interesting choices, and would love to hear others' opinions on them.

Maindeck:
    -Daretti main is interesting as a solid creature or Pithing Needle / Spyglass removal tool, but I'm not sure it's better than another Dack. I usually prefer to leave mine on the SB and bring it in against creature-based matchups.
    -Crucible of Worlds + Wasteland is a solid consideration, but it seems more at home in a UB version where the mana may be more consistent and can support increased colorless lands.
    -2 Maindeck Monastery Sieges is fascinating to me, but which mode usually gets chosen? If it's Khans, again I think I might rather have Dack to double the cards seen. If it's Dragons, that seems like a decent protection plan. Also solid against discard spells, but those are usually played turn 1, and this won't come down until turn 2 at the earliest without a dream opening hand.

Sideboard:
    -Arcane Laboratory is good against storm variants (and for winning counter wars), but dies to similar cards that would also take care of Chalice or Trinisphere. It also might get awkward with keeping our hand size low with Ensnaring Bridge.
    -Back to Basics in a deck with such a high number of nonbasic lands seems counter-intuitive. I feel that the Crucible-Wasteland combo does a better job of handling nonbasics.
    -Is Guardian Beast better than Padeem? One prois that it doesn't get countered by REB/Pyroblast, but other than that, I'm not sure what the advantage is. I haven't seen many Shatterstorms running around in lists.
    -Liliana, the Last Hope is a great idea, given how successful it's been in traditional Grixis Control decks, and I don't think the double black is going to be difficult to manage.
    -Unmoored Ego is game-ending against some decks, but I'm curious to know what the most common choices are against the field.

ITOKEN (5-0)

1 Dack Fayden
    1 Daretti, Ingenious Iconoclast
    2 Karn, Scion of Urza
    2 Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas
    4 Baleful Strix
    1 Toxic Deluge
    2 Transmute Artifact
    3 Force of Will
    4 Chalice of the Void
    1 Crucible of Worlds
    2 Dimir Signet
    1 Engineered Explosives
    3 Ensnaring Bridge
    3 Mox Diamond
    2 Sorcerous Spyglass
    2 Sword of the Meek
    2 Thopter Foundry
    2 Monastery Siege
    1 Academy Ruins
    3 Ancient Tomb
    1 City of Traitors
    2 Island
    4 Polluted Delta
    1 Scalding Tarn
    1 Sunken Ruins
    2 Swamp
    3 Underground Sea
    1 Volcanic Island
    3 Wasteland

1 Force of Will
    1 Arcane Laboratory
    1 Back to Basics
    2 Flusterstorm
    1 Guardian Beast
    1 Helm of Obedience
    4 Leyline of the Void
    1 Liliana, the Last Hope
    1 The Abyss
    2 Unmoored Ego
    A few things that I really don't like about this list. Really don't like.
    -16 Blue cards MD. T1 FoW is unlikely to go off. I love the option of playing Chalice + FoW for the win, especially since so many gamebreaking spells (Show and Tell, Natural Order) get around Chalice anyway. The one-two punch
    -22 lands is super low, considering you run Mox Diamond, and considering a lot of 3 drops, 4 drops, Transmute Artifact. Prison decks are very mana-hungry because the curve starts at 2 and goes up to 4,5 sometimes.
    -4 Sol Lands, 3 Diamonds. It's tough enough getting T1 Chalice on the play when you run 8 Sol Lands and 4 Moxen. This looks very wrong to me. I don't see any reason to run Chalice in this deck, or Sol Lands, even.
    -Last thing: this deck is a million 1x and 2x cards. It's impossibly inconsistent. The strategy you rely on here is that you draw the one out the turn you need it. Cantrips get around this, but again, you don't run Brainstorm/Ponder et al.

I am really not a fan of this deck. I smell a significant amount of luck for a 5-0. Card choices look fun, but I wouldn't run this for more than 4 rounds. My $.02
    Final Ritual: "I was your round 14 opponent with the 3 giant goyfs. I didn't know what the fuck you were piloting."
    Drunken Master strategy. If I don't know what I'm doing, how would you?

-Is Guardian Beast better than Padeem? One prois that it doesn't get countered by REB/Pyroblast, but other than that, I'm not sure what the advantage is. I haven't seen many Shatterstorms running around in lists.
    It gets style points, that's for sure. Other pros are it protects against stuff like Pernicious Deed, can't be Karakas'd, blocks better, and in other lists would work more favorably with cards like Spellskite. Karakas/REB proof probably is the most relevant. I've definitely had my Padeem Karakas'd at inopportune moments.

Mudslinger
    Oct 2017
    Long Island, New York

Thanks for the pointers. I haven't played this archetype since antiquities war was a thing. I'll definitely have to try it out.
    We speak for no one, we hear no one, we see no one

I don't have transmute artifact but i use 2 whir of invention. UB is good or try UBr version with dack fayden

Thread Information