Page 20 of 69 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] 8Tezz.dec - UB Tezzeret

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Re: [Deck] 8Tezz.dec - UB Tezzeret

Quote Originally Posted by Undomian View Post
    Onto day 2 at 7-2 with my usual list. UR is everywhere...
    what's your usual list? link?
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Dec 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA

Sadly finished 10-5 after going 3-3 on the day. I was cursed with bad draws and bad matchups all day long. It's worth noting that I played against UR delver 6 times over the course of the weekend, and didn't get matched up against even a single miracles player. I'll write something up in more detail when I get access to a computer.
    UBr Tezzeret
    Quote Originally Posted by sdematt View Post
    I mean, if you're going to play as 61st card, the card should cost over $100 I think.

Went 5-3 at gp picking up 3rd loss round 8 and dropping. Losses were all close due to variance. Had a great time at gp did a deck tech on my helmerator list will post more on event later

Judgy Curmudgeon
    Feb 2006

Onto day 2 at 7-2 with my usual list. UR is everywhere...
    UR was EVERYWHERE D1. D2 it wasn't nearly as prevalent. I have a sneaking suspicion that it's overall performance based on D1 numbers is going to be simply turrible. Also, good news, I know someone is currently (still!) entering decklists into a computer to do hard number crunching.

Quote Originally Posted by Cwilburn View Post
    How do you guys feel about the variance issue over several rounds in a tournament?
    I think Decks like Stoneblade and UR Delver are based on the idea of reducing variance at the expense of being able to just go over the top. MUD and Tezz are all about sacrificing some consistency for having much more powerful lines. Part of the strength of this deck is that most people won't have tested or played against it, so you can pick up free wins even when the variance bites you.

Also, after a weekend of judging, it was nice to jump in a few on-demand events on Sunday and realize I am HORRIBLE at playing Magic in general, and need to spend some free time practicing if I want to be better. I need to read my own primer - "If you don't have a strong play T1/T2, MULLIGAN!!!"
    Check out my Legacy UBTezz Primer. Chalice of the Void: Keeping Magic Fair.
    -----
    Playing since '96. Brief forced break '02-04. Former/Idle Judge since '05. Told Smmenen to play faster at Vintage Worlds.
    -----
    Most of the 'Ban brainstorm!' arguments are based on the logic that 'more different cards should get played in Legacy', as though the success or health of the format can be measured by the portion of cards that are available and see play. This is an idiotic metric.

Dec 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA

Now that I'm home from being a zombie at work all day after the drive back last night, I think now might be an okay time for me to do my writeup for this.

Let's take a look at the 76 I ended up registering:

Quote Originally Posted by GPNJ Decklist
    4 Baleful Strix

2 Dack Fayden
    2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    4 Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas

1 The Abyss

4 Force of Will
    2 Transmute Artifact

4 Chalice of the Void
    1 Engineered Explosives
    2 Sword of the Meek
    3 Thopter Foundry
    1 Crucible of Worlds
    1 Ensnaring Bridge

4 Mox Diamond
    2 Dimir Signet

1 Academy Ruins
    4 Ancient Tomb
    2 City of Traitors
    1 Creeping Tar Pit
    2 Island
    2 Misty Rainforest
    4 Polluted Delta
    1 Swamp
    1 Volcanic Island
    3 Underground Sea
    3 Wasteland
    61 cards

SB:
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    2 Blood Moon
    1 Engineered Explosives
    2 Toxic Deluge
    1 Misdirection
    1 The Abyss
    1 Helm of Obedience
    4 Leyline of the Void
    2 Lodestone Golem
    For the entirety of the week going into the GP, I was really kind of flustered regarding the last two slots in my sideboard. I was fairly confident in my maindeck from my testing on Magic Online and at my LGS, but my SB really is tailored to the meta at my store. I expected a lot of aggressive strategies as well as a reasonable amount of combo in this larger tournament, but I wasn't entirely sure how many midrange strategies I would encounter. Blood Moon shines in those matchups, so those were the flex slots, in my opinion. I had tested a multitude of other things in those slots coming into this tournament: Whipflare, Engineered Plague, Night of Souls' Betrayal, Rakdos Charm, Flusterstorm, Chill - you name it, and there's a reasonable chance I gave it a shot. I had byes, so I hedged against the midrange matchups that I expected would defeat Burn and co. in the first few rounds by including Blood Moon rather than more wraths or something like Chill in the decklist that I submitted on Friday night.

This was a mistake.

The other person I drove in with did not have the luxury of two free wins, so we ended up getting to the venue just before the doors opened to start scouting out the dealers. My wallet wept as I picked up a few hundred dollars worth of random Chinese cards (on the upside, I can almost build pimped out Enchantress and Solidarity at this point) as my carmate went to the player's meeting. Thank you, Pink Bunny Games and CardMaster, for feeding this addiction. I hopped in line for John Avon just before round 1 started, and was very happy that the rounds went extremely late after waiting for almost two hours to get my Unhinged lithographs signed. Shortly after dropping those off into the car, the pairings for round 3 went up, and I sat down across from my first opponent to play:

[Excuse my lack of notes for some rounds. I am really bad at remembering to write things down, so most of this is from memory]

Rounds 1 & 2: Byes

2-0

Round 3: Vale with BURG Delver
    G1: I win the die roll, and keep a hand of Ancient Tomb, Wasteland, Mox Diamond, FoW, FoW, Tezzeret, The Abyss. An iffy hand, but one that has a lot of (protected) potential should I manage to draw any colored source of mana. I end up drawing a land, slamming Tezzeret on turn 2 with FoW backup, and eventually establish Thopter/Sword to close out the game.
    G2: On the draw, I keep a slower draw of 4 lands, 2 Strix, and Transmute Artifact. He doesn't seem to have much going on this game aside from a Delver which meets with my Strix, so when I eventually resolve a Tezzeret, 5/5s quickly close out the game.

3-0

Round 4: Paul with UR Delver
    G1: I'm on the draw, but I keep a hand with turn 1 Tomb + Diamond + Chalice to play around his Daze. Though he did resolve a Delver on turn 1, he didn't have the FoW, so he didn't do much else until he died to a bunch of 5/5 artifacts.
    G2: I keep a hand on the strength of turn 1 Chalice once again, but with no protection for it. He Dazes my Chalice, plays a Pyromancer, and I don't resolve anything meaningful for the rest of the game.
    G3: From the life totals I have written down, I have absolutely no clue what happened in this game. I have us both at 3 life in the late game, with his life going down in seemingly random intervals. I don't gain any life in this game, and he doesn't lose any life in chunks of 5, so my best guess is that I raced him with a bunch of Strixes after locking him behind a Chalice.

4-0

Round 5: Ian with BUG Delver
    G1: I play some Strixes and Chalices in the beginning of the game off of a Tomb and two colored lands, and eventually fall to 6 before establishing Thopter/Sword, which he concedes to on the turn I assemble it.
    G2: He draws way more Tarmogoyfs than I draw ways to kill Tarmogoyf, and I die in short order
    G3: He draws the cantrip half of his deck as I deploy a Chalice on turn 2, and his deck doesn't provide him with enough Abrupt Decays to stop my eventual Tezzeret from ulting for 16.

5-0

Round 6: Elliot with UR Delver
    G1: He wins the die roll and mulls to 6, but when his draw is full of Ponders and mine contains a Chalice, the game ends in short order.
    G2: I have some amount of interaction, but not enough to stop his flurry of a few Swiftspears into cantrips and Bolts from powering through my wall of robot birds right into my life total.
    G3: I'm on the play, and lead with a land into Chalice... into Force of Will. Not unexpected, but when he deploys a Pyromancer and some cantrips on each of the three consecutive turns, I die to a horde of 1/1 creatures.

5-1

Round 7: Jason with UR Delver
    I don't remember much about this match other than that this was about the point where I started making offhand comments to my opponents about how much glorified burn there was in the room. He ends up defeating me in three, losing a game where I established Thopter/Sword

5-2

Round 8: John Johnson with Elves
    G1: Ahh, the classic X-2 table in round 8, where dreams come to die. I win the die roll, and start off the match with a powerful mulligan to 5 cards - Tar Pit, colored lands, Chalice, Sword of the Meek. I lead off with a Tar Pit, he leads off with Beta Bayou into foil Japanese DRS, and I play my Chalice. He draws and attacks, then passes. I end up winning the game when he never draws another land and I ensure that no lands manage to go to the graveyard.
    G2: Another game fraught with mana screw, he never quite gets off his feet again when I play a Chalice then cast Deluge into his board of a DRS, 2 Dryad Arbor, and a Bayou.

6-2

Round 9: Peter Ingram with WUBG Delver
    G1: Still sitting in the land of broken dreams, I find that I'm paired against someone whose name I've actually heard in the past. I mulligan to a weak 6, then die to his Delver + removal for my Strix as I proceed to draw my playset of Ancient Tomb in addition to some other lands. Spells cast this game: Mox Diamond, Baleful Strix.
    G2: He casts a Delver on turn 1 again, but when I cast a Blood Moon on turn 2, he doesn't have an answer. I play out a Baleful Strix the turn after, and the game ends quickly from there.
    G3: I keep a strong hand with colored mana, Foundry, Sword, and The Abyss. I eventually resolve both halves of my combo, and he quickly succumbs to my torrent of 1/1 fliers.

7-2

I was pretty pumped to make day 2, but also getting very tired of seeing everyone in my vicinity playing Miracles and Maverick while I was stuck facing down a cancerous little 3/2 round after round. I guess I should have anticipated it, but Day 2 contained more of the same.

Round 10: Jeff with Merfolk
    G1: I keep a hand on the play with either turn 3 The Abyss or Jace, so when his turn 2 Silvergill Adept fails to find him countermagic for my turn 3 Abyss, he quickly finds himself unable to win the game.
    G2: Dack Fayden was the hero of this game. I play an early Dack and plus it out of attack range, so he decides to ignore it and go after my life total instead. Unfortunately for him, Dack takes his Aether Vial on the next turn, and Toxic Deluge wipes his board except for a Mutavault. The manland eventually finds 2 other manland friends which get me down to 1 life, but eventually some Wastelands combined with a Baleful Strix flashed in off of his Aether Vial finish off his board. I start to establish my board behind a Bridge after that, and the game ends shortly after.

8-2

Round 11: Adam with Omnitell
    G1: His opening plays include Strand into Island into Brainstorm, so when I cast my Jace on turn 2, I feel pretty good about the game. Unfortunately, the cards Jace fed me didn't include a Force of Will, so when he shows me exactly what he knows on the next turn, my only resistance is a Baleful Strix.
    G2: I keep a Chalice on 1 on turn 1 with the possibility of establishing a Chalice on 3 on turn 3 or so depending on my draws, but he ends up having the natural combo on turn 2 with no manipulation.

8-3

Round 12: Andrew with UR Delver
    These games were great examples of what each deck is trying to do if met with no resistance.
    G1: He leads on a Swiftspear, but has no interaction with my turn 1 Chalice. Strix joins the party after a few turns, and he concedes to my Tezzeret the turn after.
    G2: He forces my T1 Chalice, so when he plays out all 4 copies of Swiftspear followed up by some cantrip action, I die very, very swiftly.
    G3: On the play, I lay yet another turn 1 Chalice and win the counter war over it. He unfortunately has a 1-land hand, so when I lay a second Chalice on 2 a few turns after, he concedes to me.

9-3

Round 13: Russ with Burn
    He is careless about shuffling pregame, and I see a Rift Bolt among other red cards before we even start. This leads me to keep a hand of...
    G1: City, 2 Wasteland, Chalice, Crucible, Sword of the Meek, Thopter Foundry. I'm on the play, and his draw can't match up against my turn 1 Chalice in enough time to beat the colored lands that I eventually draw.
    G2: I assemble Thopter/Sword very quickly, and his hand of no artifact removal can't really keep up with it.

10-3

Round 14: Sam Black with UR Delver
    I'm a bit tilted about these games, so I don't remember much about them. I kept reasonable hands in both games to the best of my memory, but he aggressively countered any play I had, and casually cast all 4 copies of Treasure Cruise in both games.

10-4

Round 15: Alex with UR Delver
    G1: My opponent casually remarks that it's sad that we can't draw (why I believed him, I'll never know) as I keep a hand with a quick Jace that would be great against any kind of midrange or control strategy. Unfortunately for me, he Pyroblasts my Jace on turn 2, and runs me over with Swiftspear and Young Pyromancer.
    G2: Things look grim as I stare down two Young Pyromancers and some Elemental Tokens, protected by only a solitary Chalice on 1 which came down entirely too late. Fortunately, the gods of variance smile upon me, and feed me Toxic Deluge on the next turn. I grab some previous countered Chalices out of my graveyard with Ruins, and my board of Chalices on 1, 2, and 3 locks him out from casting anything but Treasure Cruise.
    G3: Unfortunately, those same gods of variance take as they give, and I'm forced to mulligan to a weak 6 with him on the play. I quickly succumb to his little red guys, and am knocked out of prizes right down to 288th.

The lowest 31 was at 218th, so I'd be walking out $200 richer had I drawn. Or, well, maybe if I had mulliganed some more throughout the course of the tournament.

This deck is built to crush Miracles into the ground, and while it does do that very well, Ancient Tomb doesn't always matchup well against Lightning Bolt even with Chalice in the deck. Young Pyromancer is a serious problem for the deck, as neither EE for 2 or 0 is very attractive when considering our own permanents. The Abyss is great in the matchups where I expected it to be (any SFM Delver variant, anything midrange, Merfolk), but if I can expect to play against UR for half of the tournament, then it's not so great. As I mentioned earlier, I did see quite a bit of those sorts of decks around me throughout the course of the day, so perhaps I'm just thinking in a results-oriented manner when considering the fact that the luck of the draw didn't pair me against those decks. One thing I am semi-confident about, though, is that Jace might not have a place in the deck anymore. I sided it out in almost every round, and often wished that the card was another Dack Fayden. That card seriously overperformed over the course of the day, coming down early and filtering my draws to ensure that my deck functioned as it needed to in any given situation. I even got some serious value off of my opponent's permanents with it, including killing a 5/5 Thopter Foundry/Phantasmal Image in the Merfolk matchup. I acquired another FBB Volcanic Island at the end of the day, so I might try to play around with some kind of build that goes more all-in on Dack and Thopter/Sword. I didn't lose a single game on the weekend where I assembled it, and don't regret cutting a Jace for the second Sword of the Meek at all for the weekend.

Props:
    Chalice
    Dack Fayden
    Thopter/Sword

Slops:
    Jace
    HelmLine (only sided this in against Omnitell, and didn't draw into it there)

That was a lot of typing. I'd love to hear from anyone else who played the deck in the tournament.
    UBr Tezzeret
    I mean, if you're going to play as 61st card, the card should cost over $100 I think.

went 3-3 drop on the day. Saw 3 stoneblade, 2 delver, and 1 burn. Beat delver and burn, lost to stoneblade. Every. Single. Time. chalice for 1 is junk vs TNN and SFM.

Quote Originally Posted by tinofthefoil View Post
    went 3-3 drop on the day. Saw 3 stoneblade, 2 delver, and 1 burn. Beat delver and burn, lost to stoneblade. Every. Single. Time. chalice for 1 is junk vs TNN and SFM.
    I also played in the Super sunday series, went 3-2 drop, beat reanimator, dredge, and a (terrible) delver player. lost to Sneak and Show (had the nuts both games, turn 2 sneak w/ force backup...i aint even mad), and STONEBLADEEEEEEEEEE.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

lots of stuff and...

Props:
    Chalice
    Dack Fayden
    Thopter/Sword

Slops:
    Jace
    HelmLine (only sided this in against Omnitell, and didn't draw into it there)

That was a lot of typing. I'd love to hear from anyone else who played the deck in the tournament.
    i don't know much about this deck but i've been looking for a "best" or "consistent" Chalice deck. It seems really promising with various tutor type cards and FOW.

I feel like if you were going to board in a different strategy (helm line) that should actually be your first strategy. Combo decks generally have an advantage game 1 because the opponent does not know what to expect. Post board they may dedicate ~5 cards to that combo which could be a huge advantage if that actually gets swapped out for game 2-3.

Additionally Leyline seems to have a lot of application in general. with all the treasure cruise strategies its almost a no brainer to run leyline main. leyline hurts, DRS, loam, treasure cruise, snap caster, reanimator, threshold, KOTR, thopter sword, storm, dredge, all spells.... thats a lot of decks.

idk why is dack so good? its card disadvantage and the deck doesn't seem like its really able to take advantage of it.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Dec 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA

Quote Originally Posted by apple713 View Post
    i don't know much about this deck but i've been looking for a "best" or "consistent" Chalice deck. It seems really promising with various tutor type cards and FOW.

I feel like if you were going to board in a different strategy (helm line) that should actually be your first strategy. Combo decks generally have an advantage game 1 because the opponent does not know what to expect. Post board they may dedicate ~5 cards to that combo which could be a huge advantage if that actually gets swapped out for game 2-3.

Additionally Leyline seems to have a lot of application in general. with all the treasure cruise strategies its almost a no brainer to run leyline main. leyline hurts, DRS, loam, treasure cruise, snap caster, reanimator, threshold, KOTR, thopter sword, storm, dredge, all spells.... thats a lot of decks.

idk why is dack so good? its card disadvantage and the deck doesn't seem like its really able to take advantage of it.
    I personally play the deck a lot more like a prison deck than a combo deck, so having even more dead cards in my deck is not appealing to me. Maindeck HelmLine adds 5 cards which may or may not be useful in any given matchup; sometimes they win you the game on the spot, and sometimes they do absolutely nothing. We're already inconsistent as a Chalice deck, and I personally prefer not to add even more inconsistency to my deck by having that kind of variance. Builds with MD HelmLine have obviously done well (much better than I've done with my particular build of the deck), but it's not for me.

As for Dack Fayden, I find him to be effective in this deck because we generally care a lot more about the quality of our cards than the quantity of them. Often, you will find yourself drawing extra mana-producing artifacts or other cards that you might not necessarily want in the late game, and Dack allows you to essentially take redraws on them. Without involving shuffle effects (which this deck tends to have a limited number of), Dack actually allows you to see more cards than Jace does, even if he doesn't increase the size of your hand. Finding the right card here is much more important than finding a bunch of wrong ones. We play Chalice, so we don't have the luxury of turning those into other cards with a Brainstorm (Jace activations aside) at a later point in the game. He also improves our matchup against anything with SFM or other artifact-centered plans (Aether Vial). I really like the card, but your results may vary.
    UBr Tezzeret

bruizar

To show that dack fayden is powerful enough for legacy, a list with 2 dack fayden's top 16th at new jersey (wasn't a tezzeret deck)

Judgy Curmudgeon
    Feb 2006

... also getting very tired of seeing everyone in my vicinity playing Miracles and Maverick while I was stuck facing down a cancerous little 3/2 round after round.
    You certainly weren't the only one bemoaning this position. I know quite a few people who faced delver after delver, while all kinds of Miracles and Elves and Dredge nonsense played around them.

Having said that, I also know a few people who got WRECKED by Rando's before they ever saw the Magical equivalent of Kafka's Metamorphosis (hell, the card even accurately conveys the pointlessness of life to opponents too!)

Props:
    Slops:
    Jeeze Undomain, you must me as old as me. Props and Slops at the end of a Tourney Report? What is this, 2003?

Quote Originally Posted by apple713 View Post
    Don't ask Undomain to justify his inconsistent 3rd color and terrible pet planeswalker, just try it and see if you like it.

There is a growing push to start trimming Daze's in the main in UR lists to help out in the mirror, and that bodes nothing but well for Chalice strategies. Having said that, there are suddenly a lot more Null Rods around (thanks Miracles!!! ) and you may need to start figuring out efficient ways to get rid of them. I ended up turning one into a 5/5 and Damnation'ing for VALUE against BUG in NJ.
    Check out my Legacy UBTezz Primer. Chalice of the Void: Keeping Magic Fair.
    -----
    Playing since '96. Brief forced break '02-04. Former/Idle Judge since '05. Told Smmenen to play faster at Vintage Worlds.
    -----
    Most of the 'Ban brainstorm!' arguments are based on the logic that 'more different cards should get played in Legacy', as though the success or health of the format can be measured by the portion of cards that are available and see play. This is an idiotic metric.

Feb 2014
    Santa Fe Texas

Saw a U/b Tezz player lose at GP NJ and tilt off, was kinda disrespectful but I guess the tilt was strong

Dec 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Brian Pepper View Post
    Saw a U/b Tezz player lose at GP NJ and tilt off, was kinda disrespectful but I guess the tilt was strong
    I'm sure the Tezz players weren't the only ones tilting at GP Burn.
    UBr Tezzeret

Hello, new Tezzerator player here! I went to New Jersey playing Zach's list. I only went 4-5, which was a combination of bad draws, inexperience, and general sloppiness on my part. But hey, that's the best way to learn from one's mistakes, right?

Round 1 - UW Miracles with Energy Field
    I resolved Chalice for 1 into Chalice for 2 in both games, but I didn't draw into any action and he dropped Jace a couple turns later, locking me out of the game.

Round 2 - UW Miracles
    I manage to get out the Thopter-Sword combo, but he buys time with a few copies of Terminus. Eventually, he glaces over at the clock and scoops with 20 minutes left in the round.
    Game 2, he casts Rest in Peace, so I play my Helm and kill him. He says "Welp, that's a thing" and concedes.

Round 3 - Mono-Blue Delver
    I think this guy was more of a casual player, because he had cards like Propaganda and Evolving Wilds in his deck. He said "Yeah, Evolving Wilds sets me back a turn, but at least I don't lose life from it. Besides, it's not like I'm going to search for anything else."
    Game 1 lasts a while, but I buy a bunch of time to set up my combo with an Ensnaring Bridge out.
    Game 2, I assemble the Thopter-Sword combo, and that's all she wrote.

Round 4 - UG Infect
    Game 1, I buy some time while he struggles behind my Trinisphere. He soon draws into Viridian Corrupter, however, and I search for Sword of the Meek with Tezzeret the Seeker. He attacks me with a 3/3 Corrupter (Exalted trigger), and I opt not to block. He casts Invigorate before damage, which I don't counter (because it would only put me at 9 poison). He follows it up with a Berserk. I Force it, pitching Tezzeret. He Forces back, pitching another Force. I let his Force resolve, then show him the last two cards in my hand - Force and Thopter Foundry. I go to 9 poison, then untap and search up my second copy of the Foundry with enough mana left over to make three Thopters. In an act of desperation, he swings at me with his Corrupter and his two Inkmoth Nexus, and I make three Thopters to kill all of his infect creatures. I create a wall of Thopters and eventually win.
    Game 2, he only finds one infect creature throughout the entire game, but casts three Noble Hierarchs. I begin to lock him out with Trinisphere, Engineered Plague (naming Elf for the Glistener Elf he cast), and Pithing Needle naming Inkmoth Nexus. He beats me down to 9 with Noble Hierarch before I draw Toxic Deluge, which prompts the concession.

Round 5 - Burn
    When he handed me his deck of red Ultra-Pro sleeves, I thought to myself, "Heh, he's probably playing Burn or something. ...Nah, I shouldn't typecast him just based on his sleeves."
    He leads with a Mountain into a Lava Spike, and I'm just like "Goddammit."
    I land a Chalice for 1, but he's already resolved a Swiftspear at this point, so he seals the deal before I can stabilize.
    Game 2, I lock him out with a Chalice for 1 into a Chalice for 2, and once I turn one of my Chalices into a 5/5, he quickly scoops.
    Game 3, I land another Chalice for 1. He casts Price of Progress to put me to 10, then I take my turn. I have two Underground Seas and a City of Traitors, so I think about my lines of play. I decide to simply cast Baleful Strix and pass, with my rationale being "I only lose if he has another Price of Progress and Fireblast."
    ...He plays Price of Progress and Fireblast.

Round 6 - Death and Taxes
    Game 1 was fairly straightforward - He lands a turn 1 Ęther Vial on the play, keeps me off my mana with double Wasteland + Rishadan Port, and beats me down with 2/1s while I draw nothing relevant.
    Game 2 was incredibly frustrating. I cast a Chalice for 1 on the second turn, after he drops an Ęther Vial. I quickly resolve an Engineered Plague naming Human, and then a Chalice for 2. I cast two Dimir Signets after clearing his board with a Toxic Deluge, and he Vials in Stoneforge Mystic (searching for Sword of Light and Shadow), then untaps and casts + Vials a pair of Serra Avengers. (The Serra Avenger he cast was via a Cavern of Souls naming Angel.) I cast a second Toxic Deluge, and he puts his Sword into play. He Vials in another creature and suits it up with the Sword, returning and recasting Serra Avenger. I draw a THIRD copy of Toxic Deluge and wipe his board yet again, but he topdecks Flickerwisp, flickers my Chalice on 2, and then drops a Phyrexian Revoker naming Dimir Signet. He attaches his Sword to his 3/1 and passes. My draw for the turn? Dimir Signet. At 6 life, I have no choice but to concede and pick up my third loss.

Round 7 - Punishing Jund
    I lose game 1 to discard and Bloodbraid Elf, but I manage to disrupt his gameplan enough in games 2 and 3 that I can assemble the Thopter-Sword combo and take the win.
    As a side note, turn 2 Liliana of the Veil in three consecutive games is pretty irksome.

Round 8 - Affinity
    I win game 1 off of Thopter-Sword along with a sketchy keep by my opponent, but I'm one turn shy of killing him in games 2 and 3. Using Arcbound Ravager to save your Phyrexian Revoker in response to a Toxic Deluge is definitely a thing. So is swinging past an army of Thopters with a Cranial Plating-clad Etched Champion.

Round 9 - Belcher
    I win the die roll and start with a Chalice for 1. He looks worried for a second until he glances at his hand, chuckles, and remarks that he doesn't have a single 1-mana spell in his hand. His turn 1 consists of:
    Lotus Petal (0)
    Lion's Eye Diamond (0)
    Taiga
    Manamorphose (2)
    Pyretic Ritual (2)
    Desperate Ritual (2)
    Seething Song (3)
    Burning Wish (2)
    Empty the Warrens (4)
    I groan.
    Game 2, he mulligans to 5 and does nothing while I kill him.
    Game 3, he goes off on turn 1 with Charbelcher, flipping at least 10 cards.

It was a really fun experience overall, and I'm definitely looking forward to playing the deck some more. I'll probably enter the Channel Fireball Legacy 1k at the end of the month with this, and see how well I fare.
    Last edited by Foamy; 11-20-2014 at 04:18 AM.

Feb 2014
    Santa Fe Texas

I'm sure the Tezz players weren't the only ones tilting at GP Burn.
    lol it wasn't that bad, but yeah hes kinda known so I just found it comical

Quote Originally Posted by Foamy View Post
    Round 6 - Death and Taxes
    (...)
    Game 2 was incredibly frustrating. I cast a Chalice for 1 on the second turn, after he drops an Ęther Vial. I quickly resolve an Engineered Plague naming Human, and then a Chalice for 2. I cast two Dimir Signets after clearing his board with a Toxic Deluge,...
    How did you resolve your Dimir Signets after landing a Chalice for 2?

Quote Originally Posted by Sisyphos View Post
    How did you resolve your Dimir Signets after landing a Chalice for 2?
    Oh, whoops. I guess I cast the Signets earlier on, and landed the Chalice the turn after the second Deluge.

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Played my list to a 3-1 finish, just narrowly losing to someone borrowing my Jund deck.

I really loved the build. Played against Gold Digger (2-0), Jund (1-2), Painter (2-1), and Miracles/CounterTop Thopters (2-0).

The Thopters match was great. Caltrops is a real beating, folks.

-Matt

@Undomian

It sounds to me like you would cut jace in favor of more dack fayden. Have you considered/tried goblin welders at all (specifically out of the sb)? It seems like you could benefit from more graveyard interaction beyond 1x academy ruins and 1x crucible. Or do you feel like that is enough graveyard interaction (including swords), and/or the control MU is good enough?

I would also really like to see notion thief somewhere in the 75 if you are running 3+ dacks. It is so strong against TC and brainstorm, and dack just turns it into a monster. Although subpar in my opinion, chains of mephistopheles would function similarly and goes nicely with you enjoyment of insanely expensive enchantments from legends. Is there a reason you are not running the thief?

Lastly, how was mox diamond?

Dec 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA

Quote Originally Posted by honz View Post
    @Undomian

It sounds to me like you would cut jace in favor of more dack fayden. Have you considered/tried goblin welders at all (specifically out of the sb)? It seems like you could benefit from more graveyard interaction beyond 1x academy ruins and 1x crucible. Or do you feel like that is enough graveyard interaction (including swords), and/or the control MU is good enough?

I would also really like to see notion thief somewhere in the 75 if you are running 3+ dacks. It is so strong against TC and brainstorm, and dack just turns it into a monster. Although subpar in my opinion, chains of mephistopheles would function similarly and goes nicely with you enjoyment of insanely expensive enchantments from legends. Is there a reason you are not running the thief?

Lastly, how was mox diamond?
    That's actually something I've been testing to varying degrees of success. I'm still not sold on the numbers, but MTGO helps a lot with giving this sort of stuff a test run. I used to run a few Welders out of the sideboard, but as good as they were when they worked, they usually just gave my opponents actual targets for their removal. Notion Thief/Chains have also been involved in this testing, though I do not look forward to buying a Chains if I find that that card is actually good.

I've written about Mox Diamond a lot in past posts, but to sum it up, it is simultaneously the best and worst card in the deck. When describing this deck to people, I like to say that it sometimes feels like you're playing Vintage, and it sometimes feels like you're playing Standard. Mox Diamond enables the Vintage-style plays in the deck, and Dack Fayden helps to minimize the impact of those "Standard" draws by allowing you to dump them for other cards later in the game. Aside from allowing an additional four ways to achieve two mana on turn 1 (which, realistically, is where a lot of this deck's power comes from), it also allows me to play with a more ambitious manabase at a smaller cost.
    UBr Tezzeret

Thread Information