Page 2 of 69 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] 8Tezz.dec - UB Tezzeret

AKA - Vogmudet
    Jun 2012
    Las Vegas, NV

Re: [Deck] 8Tezz.dec - UB Tezzeret

Quote Originally Posted by AmishLuvah View Post
    Anyone else notice that the price of Transmute Artifact suddenly spiked?
    I did notice the jump right after Chris won. Foil Tezzeret's also jumped up in price quite abit.

Is it possible to get this deck rolling without Jace? I pretty much have all other pieces, but them Jaces are so hard to aquire!
    Have anyone been testing SFM-build (with or without Mox Diamond)? How about MD Liliana?

Has anyone been testing the Leyline of the Void + Helm kill version of the deck? Here's the list i've been testing, so far it has been pretty inspiring. My meta is swimming with reanimator and BUG variants so the maindeck leyline is a boss, and this makes every kill in the deck decay-proof. Any thoughts/suggestions are appreciated.

Main Deck:

Enchantment:
    4 Leyline of the Void

Artifact:
    4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Mox Diamond
    2 Helm of Obedience
    2 Engineered Explosives
    1 Crucible of Worlds
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Dimir Signet

Planeswalker:
    4 Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas
    3 Jace, the Mind Sculptor

Instant/Sorcery:
    4 Force of Will
    2 Transmute Artifact
    2 Thirst for Knowledge

Creature:
    4 Baleful Strix

Land:
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Polluted Delta
    3 Wasteland
    2 City of Traitors
    2 Seat of the Synod
    2 Underground Sea
    1 Vault of Whispers
    1 Academy Ruins
    1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    1 Island
    1 Mishra's Factory
    1 Swamp

SB: 1 Cursed Totem
    SB: 2 Trinisphere
    SB: 1 Phyrexian Metamorph
    SB: 1 Phyrexian Revoker
    SB: 2 Ensnaring Bridge
    SB: 1 Engineered Explosives
    SB: 1 Mindbreak Trap
    SB: 1 Damnation
    SB: 3 Dimir Charm
    SB: 1 Notion Thief
    SB: 1 Engineered Plague

I went 2-2 at a local tourney yesterday with this. It could have easily gone 3-1 (with me cutting to top 4) but I flooded out both games vs. Merfolk in the 4th match.

4x Baleful Strix
    1x Wurmcoil Engine
    4x Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas
    2x Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    1x Karn Liberated
    3x Thopter Foundry
    1x Sword of the Meek
    2x Transmute Artifact
    1x The Abyss
    1x Damnation
    2x Dimir Charm
    4x Chalice of the Void
    1x Ratchet Bomb
    1x Ensnaring Bridge
    1x Nihil Spellbomb
    3x Talisman of Dominance
    3x Dimir Signet
    4x Force of Will

4x Ancient Tomb
    3x City of Traitors
    4x Polluted Delta
    2x Island
    1x Swamp
    4x Underground Sea
    1x Academy Ruins
    1x Darkslick Shores
    1x Seat of the Synod
    1x Vault of Whispers

Sideboard:
    1x Dimir Charm
    3x Lodestone Golem
    1x Duress
    1x Vendilion Clique
    1x Notion Thief
    1x Grafdigger's Cage
    2x Perish
    3x Engineered Plague
    1x Pithing Needle
    1x Ensnaring Bridge

I know I'm at 61 cards, just can't seem to help myself with a toolbox deck like this with so much potential card advantage. Already decided to change my mana base around a bit, take out a delta,an island and an Underground Sea, add an Urborg and 2 Darkslick Shores. Karn is likely coming out and being replaced with Phyrexian Metamorph (had some success with it in the past) or more likely Engineered Explosives. I've been really tempted to give Spine of Ish Sah a try but 7 mana is just WAY too much to pay for something that can't end the game by itself no matter how much value it gets with a Thopter Foundry in play. This deck is great against tempo decks (anything with a delver in it I've just been beating to death) but I've had a hard time with Stoneblade if I don't see an Academy Ruins. The local control players tend to stay away from soft counters (read Spell Pierce) so it lessens the value of chalice against them turn 1 a little bit. Any advice on playing against Stoneblade would be much appreciated.

Play of the day? I cast Notion Thief in response to a Brainstorm and they could do nothing about it. It won me the game.
    Last edited by AmishLuvah; 07-08-2013 at 05:24 PM.

A Whore's Limit Break Uses Anal
    Jun 2006
    Carbondale, IL

I played the deck (The Abyss main over Ratchet Bomb, otherwise stock list) in a tournament yesterday (my first Legacy event since 2008), and lost in the T8. My losses for the day were to BUG and Elves (in the T8). The loss to BUG was because, while Chalice can be awkward for them, Abrupt Decay makes it irrelevant a lot of the time, and he just drew better cards than I did after the first few turns, and my hand was just decimated by Hymn time and again. Elves was frustrating; Game 1 I got down to 4 with Jace + Tezz, Brainstormed with Jace, played a land and Ensnaring Bridge with zero cards, but I had put Force of Will on top instead of a land. So, I ended up drawing Force and had to Brainstorm to try to draw a land + castable spell, and hit Force, land, land and died to 1/1 guys attacking. Game 2 I mulled for Chalice and got a serviceable 5 card hand minus Chalice, so I kept and ended up losing to Nature's Claim + Viridian Shaman on The Abyss and Ensnaring Bridge.

Upon reflection, I want to adjust the mana slightly by adding another Island, Delta, and a Badlands to use with Explosives, as there were multiple times where EE for 3 would have been game changing. The only lands that can really be cut for those, IMO are Darkslick Shores, which wouldn't make me too sad because I had a couple of games where drawing them late was super awkward. I also want some other way to win, because it just felt like I didn't have enough ways to actually do that at times. I don't know if Helm + Leyline is the way to go (too many slots), but I am definitely looking for something.
    Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    People arguing about which foil reprint is better is like a Mormon and a Scientologist having a history argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattH View Post
    Don't you know that specifics are deadly poison to H. Machinus? They lack the enzymes to digest them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    What in the janky gay ninja hell is that 25th place deck?

Judgy Curmudgeon
    Feb 2006

It's amusing how many people don't enjoy a good, grindy midrange deck with 2 combo kills already built in :p...

I have been playing around with Mox diamond, and I feel that it just makes your bad matchups worse, and your good ones marginally better. You are down so many cards against Deathblade and BUG that a single Thoughseize can be backbreaking. I want to slow down these matchups, not speed them up.

While the deck is playable without JTMS, I feel the only other real option is Tamiyo, and she's WAY behind JTMS at 5CMC. Liliana does not represent a real threat because you are generally putting yourself at a disadvantage to cast the walker in the first place, and she will just dig you a deeper hole, especially if you have to kill a creature early.

I like the idea of Leyline/Helm as an alternative win con, but I dislike that Leyline is not an artifact (and that you should probably go whole hog with 4 if this is your plan.) I wish leyline did more against Deathblade and SnT, it's kind of a niche answer if you deal with a lot of graveyard decks.
    Check out my Legacy UBTezz Primer. Chalice of the Void: Keeping Magic Fair.
    -----
    Playing since '96. Brief forced break '02-04. Former/Idle Judge since '05. Told Smmenen to play faster at Vintage Worlds.
    -----
    Most of the 'Ban brainstorm!' arguments are based on the logic that 'more different cards should get played in Legacy', as though the success or health of the format can be measured by the portion of cards that are available and see play. This is an idiotic metric.

A Whore's Limit Break Uses Anal
    Jun 2006
    Carbondale, IL

Oh, I LOVE the deck. I was just noting some things that came about from the experience I had in playing the deck in the event. BUG seems like an absolute nightmare matchup, since Plan A (Chalice) is a minor inconvenience to them, and they just have more card advantage and threats than us.
    Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    People arguing about which foil reprint is better is like a Mormon and a Scientologist having a history argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattH View Post
    Don't you know that specifics are deadly poison to H. Machinus? They lack the enzymes to digest them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    What in the janky gay ninja hell is that 25th place deck?

Site Contributor
    Aug 2010

Went 4-1-1 to top 8 a 40ish person local tournament this past weekend
    4 Jace, The Mindsculptor
    1 The Abyss
    4 Force of Will
    2 Thirst for Knowledge
    2 Transmute Artifact
    4 Baleful Strix
    4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Talisman of Dominance
    3 Dimir Signet
    2 Thopter Foundry
    2 Sword of the Meek
    1 Engineered Explosive
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Nihil Spellbomb
    4 Ancient Tomb
    3 City of Traitors
    4 Underground Sea
    3 Polluted Delta
    3 Darkslick Shores
    2 Seat of the Synod
    1 Academy Ruins
    1 Island

3 Lodestone Golem
    2 Damnation
    2 Perish
    2 Duress
    2 Dimir Charm
    1 Trinisphere
    1 Meekstone
    1 Grafdigger's Cage
    1 Pithing Needle

The list is mostly stock because I didn't really test enough (at all) to make changes. I don't like the maindeck spellbomb at all. I always seem to draw it when I have a chalice out or I keep loose hands and cycle it on turn two, I will probably replace it with something like a dimir charm or a third thirst for knowledge. SB worked out quite well, used all of the cards except grafdigger's cage but I didn't play against anything I would need it against.

Nov 2012
    Central New York

I agree on the Nihil Spellbomb. I dropped it in the main deck for a Phyrexian Revoker and have not looked back. Revoker has acted as a silver bullet for me against Sneak and Show a few times, and it can stop Lion's Eye Diamond or Lotus Petal too @ storm decks in case I don't happen to have a chalice on 0. It also stops our worst enemy: Engineered Explosives(on 2). I also run 2 Abyss and 3 Jace instead of 1 & 4.
    Today I am become death. The destroyer of worlds. -Oppenheimer

Dec 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA

I agonized over playing either this or Spiral Tide at my local today, but ended up deciding on this when I saw a lot of delvers floating around. I played the following list to a 2-2-1 finish:

1 Academy Ruins
    4 Ancient Tomb
    1 Badlands
    2 City of Traitors
    1 Creeping Tar Pit
    1 Island
    3 Polluted Delta
    1 Scalding Tarn
    1 Sunken Ruins
    1 Swamp
    3 Underground Sea
    3 Wasteland
    4 Chalice of the Void
    1 Engineered Explosives
    4 Mox Diamond
    4 Baleful Strix
    1 Dimir Charm
    2 Dimir Signet
    2 Sword of the Meek
    3 Thopter Foundry
    2 Transmute Artifact
    1 Crucible of Worlds
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    3 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    2 The Abyss
    4 Force of Will

Sideboard:

1 Engineered Explosives
    2 Dimir Charm
    1 In the Eye of Chaos
    2 Infest
    1 Perish
    1 Helm of Obedience
    4 Leyline of the Void
    3 Venser, Shaper Savant

Regarding the decklist: I have a lot of graveyard strategies in my meta, so I'm still packing Leylines. In the Eye of Chaos was more of a "well, why not" concession because I didn't feel like switching a Flusterstorm out of my Tide sideboard.

Round 1: Dean with Death & Taxes
    These games were interesting. Not having played against D&T a lot, Leonin Arbiter was a surprise to say the least. I lost game 1, but ended up taking game 2 off the back of a turn 2 Tezzeret making an army of 5/5s, and game 3 on the back of Thopters after he used his Serenity to wipe my board of 2 Baleful Strix and an Abyss. Boarding was something like -4 FoW, -1 Crucible of Worlds, +1 EE, +2 Infest, +2 Dimir Charm
    1-0

Round 2: Judge Chris with 4C Loam
    This match was not as memorable. My hands were below average both games, and Devastating Dreams when I was lacking both FoW and Dimir Charm was well.. Devastating. His Gaddock Teegs did a lot of work this game too, since I never saw any removal and he started both games with one in hand. Boarding was -4 Chalice, -1 JTMS, +2 Dimir Charm, +2 Infest, +1 In the Eye of Chaos.
    1-1

Round 3: Stu with RUG
    Game 1 here was probably the quickest of the day, as a turn 1 Chalice followed by turn 2 Jace prompted an immediate concession. I found only 1 colored source the entirety of game 2, which caused me to lose. Game 3 was pretty close, and had me on 8 having only an unflipped delver and him on 3 to my 2 Thopter tokens (1 with SotM). His upkeep comes around, and he flips the second Ancient Grudge of the game to flip his delver and remove my attackers. Other people have luck too, it seems. Boarding here was -3 JTMS, -1 Dimir Charm, -1 FoW, +2 Infest, +1 Perish, +1 EE, +1 In the Eye of Chaos.
    1-2

Round 4: Pat with Rector Fit
    These games were quick and noneventful. While this is normally an abysmal matchup (seriously, why does Pernicious Deed exist), my hands were god-tier. Game 1 was quickly taken down on the back of turn 2 Tezzeret followed by turn 3 Jace. I started with a Leyline for game 2, played Jace on turn 3, and Helmed him on turn 4. Boarding here was -4 Chalice, -2 Abyss, -1 Crucible of Worlds, +4 Leyline, +1 Helm, +2 Dimir Charm.
    2-2

Round 5: Theresa with UWR Delver
    Geist of Saint Traft is an awful card, especially when your opponent has a tendency to draw every copy in their deck. I kept a slower hand game 1, and was promptly steamrolled by turn 1 delver followed by turn 3 GoST. Her Lavamancers made quick work of any blockers I might have had. Game 2 was an interesting affair. I started out with a Leyline, and her first two Geists (along with her Delvers/Lavamancers/Snapcasters) were met with Infests. She was hellbent, ripped Ponder, then found and played her third Geist of the game. I draw a Diamond or something irrelevant, pass back, and drop from 11 to 5 on her attack. Naturally, I rip Transmute Artifact to turn a Signet into a Helm and take the game. Game 3 was a pretty one sided affair, but as we both drew a lot of blanks (3 Diamonds in a row at one point), it dragged on for awhile. Eventually I amassed enough mana to cast Tezzeret with Spell Pierce mana up through her Wastelands, but she had double Pierce followed by Extraction on the only planeswalker left in the deck. I ended up drawing a Foundry, which made only got to make two thopters (I had to play around the obvious Snapcaster > Extraction). A combination of thopters and, eventually, a Tar Pit took her from 15 to 5 while I was stuck on 12, but turn 5 rolled around and tied us.

Infest and Dimir Charm were nuts all day, especially Infest. I almost want to add a third copy of this card to my board, as it usually netted me a three-for-one every time I cast it. Dimir Charm was similarly awesome, but I've been preaching that card for a while now. Future changes will probably be finding some way to go to 60 cards from 61, but there really weren't any underperforming cards in my deck.

Judgy Curmudgeon
    Feb 2006

I really wish there was a way to make all of these 1-of Legends enchantments colorless to make them work better with Tezz...

I just don't like missing with Tezz at all, and I don't really like lowering the artifact count in the deck to slide in "cute" cards. I also don't like being more susceptible to early disruption of mana, but most of the RUG players I practice with know that you should counter a Mox diamond if you are on a Wasteland plan.

Then again, I picked up a pair of Nether Voids this weekend, mwhahahahahahaha!
    -----
    Playing since '96. Brief forced break '02-04. Former/Idle Judge since '05. Told Smmenen to play faster at Vintage Worlds.
    -----
    Most of the 'Ban brainstorm!' arguments are based on the logic that 'more different cards should get played in Legacy', as though the success or health of the format can be measured by the portion of cards that are available and see play. This is an idiotic metric.

Slightly changed list.

4x Baleful Strix
    1x Wurmcoil Engine
    4x Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas
    2x Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    1x Tezzeret the Seeker
    3x Thopter Foundry
    1x Sword of the Meek
    2x Transmute Artifact
    1x The Abyss
    1x Damnation
    2x Dimir Charm
    4x Chalice of the Void
    1x Ratchet Bomb
    1x Ensnaring Bridge
    1x Trading Post
    3x Talisman of Dominance
    3x Dimir Signet
    4x Force of Will

4x Ancient Tomb
    3x City of Traitors
    3x Polluted Delta
    1x Island
    1x Swamp
    3x Underground Sea
    1x Academy Ruins
    2x Darkslick Shores
    1x Seat of the Synod
    1x Vault of Whispers
    1x Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    1x Creeping Tar Pit

Sideboard:
    1x Dimir Charm
    3x Lodestone Golem
    1x Ensnaring Bridge
    1x Vendilion Clique
    1x Notion Thief
    1x Grafdigger's Cage
    2x Perish
    3x Engineered Plague
    1x Pithing Needle
    1x Nihil Spellbomb

The addition of the other Tezz adds a little more flexibility to the deck. Another search, a little more value out of artifacts that tap for something and an easily reachable (and game ending) ultimate has to count for something. I was also thinking about trying out some Contagion Clasps. They probably won't be good enough to use but i do like the idea of dropping a Tezz and immediately using his ultimate.

Say no to creatures.

May 2013

This deck looks incredibly fun in the vacuum but I'm not sure if I'd want to play it in a meta where people are playing various Deathrite Shamans (mostly BUG) and Show&Tell decks and most budget players are bringing things like Burn and Goblins. How do you guys see it in the current meta?

Thinking about Magic...
    Jan 2011
    Italy

Quote Originally Posted by Higgs View Post
    This deck looks incredibly fun in the vacuum but I'm not sure if I'd want to play it in a meta where people are playing various Deathrite Shamans (mostly BUG) and Show&Tell decks and most budget players are bringing things like Burn and Goblins. How do you guys see it in the current meta?
    Chalice of the void -> burn

mass removal (damnation, bridge, explosive...) -> goblin

discard + counter (fow, flusterstorm, dimir charm) -> S&T

BUG is a grindy matchup where you have to play tight, but if you manage to resolve foundry+sword you're in good shape.

Say no to creatures.

May 2013

If you are going with card by card analysis I have a few counter points.

Sulfuric Vortex + PoP + Fireblast > Chalice
    Goblins' mana curve is all over the place so engineered explosives isn't relevant. Maybe you mean engineered plague? Also they play artifact removal, so bridge can't really be a key piece here.
    S&T also has opposing counters, defense grid, blood moon etc. etc.

The way matchups go is slightly different than how they look on paper so I wanted to ask players about their experiences pushing this deck.

Dec 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Higgs View Post
    If you are going with card by card analysis I have a few counter points.

Sulfuric Vortex + PoP + Fireblast > Chalice
    Goblins' mana curve is all over the place so engineered explosives isn't relevant. Maybe you mean engineered plague? Also they play artifact removal, so bridge can't really be a key piece here.
    S&T also has opposing counters, defense grid, blood moon etc. etc.

The way matchups go is slightly different than how they look on paper so I wanted to ask players about their experiences pushing this deck.
    BUG: This matchup is pretty even. While we will have some trouble with their multi-Goyf and discard heavy draws, they will similarly have a lot of trouble with early 5/5s and an unanswered Thopter Foundry. Chalice for 1 is basically only good on the play, but it does have some lategame application on 0 where we can play it the turn before a Visions resolves. One of the biggest issues we can have in this matchup is an unanswered Liliana, as we don't have very many ways to actually kill it if it resolves unless we're already winning. If you're running a build utilizing the Abyss, that card is key here, as they are often unable to play enough creatures to offset it. It will eventually leave them with only their Shardless Agents, and significantly reduce the capabilities of their Deathrite Shamans. I would recommend cutting Chalice and some number of FoW postboard for stuff like Infest/Damnation/Perish/etc to make your Abysses even more backbreaking.

Burn: This matchup will be very one sided every time; usually in our favor, but not always. Mulling to Chalice is important. It is a huge beating, shutting off something like 16-20 cards in their deck. PoP is nullified by the fact that we can just Fetch our basics and play out our artifact mana. While assembling Thopters will basically win you the game on the spot, we can usually 'win' by threatening an early but nonlethal Tezz ult. Putting him to 4 will either make them waste a card to put him to 1, or allow us to ult for 8-10 to put ourselves out of range. As much as you might want to take out FoW in this matchup, it is a necessity. Only Vortex NEEDS to be countered, but countering a Guide (seriously, do not be afraid to Force this thing if you don't have a way to stop it. It will often do more damage than any other spell in their deck if they play it on turn 1) or Fireblast is sometimes necessary. If you have LSG in your sideboard, this is the matchup where you want it. We don't need to grind with the Abyss and such here, so take out those sorts of cards postboard. If we end up with the slower hands that this deck sometimes gives us, we are most likely dead.

Goblins: This is an awful, awful matchup. If your meta is filled with this deck, I would strongly consider playing something else. Chalice is blanked by their Caverns, and a single point of Lackey damage can often spell the end of the game. They have enough CA to keep playing even after a sweeper, and Abyss is basically straight awful. Ensnaring Bridge doesn't do much at all against their 1 power team either. Cut Chalice and some number of Force, and bring in every Dimir Charm and sweeper in your 75.

Show and Tell: This matchup is as good as you want it to be, as dedicated sideboard slots are the key to winning here. Non-EtI variants are a little better for us due to maindeck Bridge, but the EtI decks are certainly beatable postboard. If this deck is running rampant in your meta as it is in mine, put some number of Venser, Shaper Savant in your board. Dimir Charm is also very good here, providing extra hard countermagic against that particular spell. Chalice is reasonable here, but only if they keep a hand reliant on manipulation. LSG and Trinisphere are obviously the absolute nuts against this deck, especially Trinisphere, if we can protect them. We will usually have enough mana to get around Defense Grid thanks to our sol lands and artifact ramp, and that same artifact mana is a pretty good trump to Blood Moon. Obviously, though, their nut draws trump anything we can do.

Nov 2012
    Central New York

Hmmm.... I haven't lost to goblins yet. The abyss is actually quite good and a sideboarded Torpor Orb and engineered plagues are stellar. You need a Torpor Orb in the board folks. It's ok against deathblade/stoneblade decks too(blanks v clique, stoneforge, snapcaster effects). Thopter/sword shouldn't take long to get going and its GG for poor gobos.

Site Contributor
    Aug 2010

Torpor Orb stops the thopter combo.

Nov 2012
    Central New York

Yeah I wrote that a little jumbled. I mean with the Thopter sword combo active, gobos is easily winnable. I didn't mean with a torpor orb out at the same time. Orb really makes gobos matchup manageable.

Judgy Curmudgeon
    Feb 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Madmankevinx View Post
    Hmmm.... I haven't lost to goblins yet. The abyss is actually quite good and a sideboarded Torpor Orb and engineered plagues are stellar. You need a Torpor Orb in the board folks. It's ok against deathblade/stoneblade decks too(blanks v clique, stoneforge, snapcaster effects). Thopter/sword shouldn't take long to get going and its GG for poor gobos.
    If those were actually the things we were losing to in Deathblade, I can see Torpor Orb being a card. But the biggest problems are still related to the card advantage the deck generates - Lingering souls and Deathrite are the real enemy. Added to the fact that right now, our primary win-con is based on thropter-sword.

I gave a pretty exhaustive list of "I hate gobbos!" cards a while back if you are having that many issues. Reliably getting an orb into play before matron/ringleader hits is hard, especially if you are trying to stem a tide of already advancing green men.
    -----
    -----

Thread Information