Page 5 of 69 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] 8Tezz.dec - UB Tezzeret

Re: [Deck] 8Tezz.dec - UB Tezzeret

@Sisyphos I really like your list and your theory. I think UB Tezz has two main viable options: (i) the control versión which has been heavily discussed and seems quite defined; and (ii) the stompy version which has not been explored so much.

Relating to the stompy version, and following your theory of playing more bombs instead of FoWs (which I think is fine) I would also cut the following:

- Baleful Strix: it is more oriented to control the aggro in the first turns and although card draw is excellent, it is not a turn 1 card and in turn 2 our priority should be to put a Lodestone Golem, a Trinisphere or a planeswalker in the battlefield as these are real bombs which required an immediate answer from our opponent.
    - Thopter/sword combo: I think the combo is just a little bit too slow for a stompy version.
    - Transmute artifact: if no thopter/sword combo is available and you don't want a toolbox because you prefer all your cards to be a bomb, i think transmute should also be cut.

These are 10 slots that may be used for more aggro or stompy style (i.e. Lotus Petal, Steel Hellkite, freaking cards like esperzoa, masticore or slash panther, etc) and the most important card: Toxic Deluge. I believe Toxic Deluge would be the perfect sweaper for us. 80% of the creatures of the meta have a toughness of 1 or 2 (including True Name Némesis if it sees heavy play). With no baleful in your maindeck, I would include 3 Toxic Deluge in my main with no doubt.

There are also some cards which I have certain doubts:

- Lodestone/Trinisphere: both are excellent cards but when you have a Trinishpehe in play, Lodestone is just a 5/3 (which is fine but not particularly amazing) so maybe I would reduce the number of Lodestone/Trinisphere and would include 3 copies of Tangle Wire which may allow you to establish a strong mana base for your planeswalker or your 6CC bombs.
    - Chalice of the Void: is an excellent card against combo and RUG, but I think it is only really powerful on the play so I am not pretty sure if this should be more sideboard card.

Other than that I would like to explore the possibilty of including a red splash with Welder/Galvanic Blast/Blood Moon/REB and card advantage like Thrist for Knowledge or Faithless Looting and a set of Engineered Explosives but this is a completely different idea and deck.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainTwiddle View Post
    Is UB Tezz really that bad against Burn? Doesn't Chalice on 1 just shut them out pre-board? A card you could consider for the board is Witchbane Orb, as it shuts off burn spells, Tendrils of Agony, etc.
    Sure, but keep in mind this deck does not run Brainstorm, so there is no way to smooth out your draw, to dig for answers, all you have are your Transmute Artifacts, which require UU to cast. Sure, if you draw the nuts, they have little chance, but in reality their deck is actually more consistent then this one. Realize that most builds of this deck run less than 3 basic lands, so Price of Progress will kill you, it's just a matter of time. Chalice for 1 is fine and dandy as a speed bump, but if you have no other lock pieces, you will eventually lose, even Game 1.

You need a Chalice on 1 and 2 to have any real security in the match-up. Trinisphere will help, but it won't end their game. You need some sideboard help to really have an advantage in the match-up. Chill is a decent idea. I actually really liked the versatility that a Trading Post offered in the main, allowing me to gain life and in some cases avoid damage (like sacrificing an artifact targeted by a Smash to Smithereens to both draw a card and save myself from 3 damage). Don't be afraid to burn through Tezzerets, if you can gain some life, do it, since they have the reach to kill your walkers, you need to use them wisely to keep you alive. Witchbane Orb seems alright also, seeing as to how it can help in multiple match-ups, but again, Price can just kill you, so don't think a weak hand with an Orb will get you there. A few Goblin Guide hits and a Price can end your game easily.

I would say get a Trini in the main if you expect to see Burn. It can only help. Also, minimize the damage you do to yourself, so use Signets when you can, rather than Talismans.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Judgy Curmudgeon
    Feb 2006

Glad to see CVM is looking at playing 8Tezz (err, 7Tezz apparently) this weekend at DC. Wish I wasn't working all week or I might have already pulled apart his list with some testing to see if his tweaks do what he is looking for.

Hopefully I will get some time tonight and tomorrow, if the testing is even still relevant then.
    Check out my Legacy UBTezz Primer. Chalice of the Void: Keeping Magic Fair.
    -----
    Playing since '96. Brief forced break '02-04. Former/Idle Judge since '05. Told Smmenen to play faster at Vintage Worlds.
    -----
    Most of the 'Ban brainstorm!' arguments are based on the logic that 'more different cards should get played in Legacy', as though the success or health of the format can be measured by the portion of cards that are available and see play. This is an idiotic metric.

I played two local tournaments with the list I posted here. The first one was with a minorly different sideboard configuration (my Toxic Deluges hadn't arrived yet), the second one was the exact 75 posted:

T1 R1: BURG Delver 2-1
    T1 R2: Deathblade 0-2
    T1 R3: DnT 1-2
    T1 R4: Young Pyromancer/Reanimator 2-0
    T1 R5: Sneak and Show 2-0

T2 R1: UWR Delver (with TNN) 2-0
    T2 R2: Miracles 2-1
    T2 R3: BURG Delver 2-0
    T2 R4: ANT 2-1

The match against Deathblade was the typical round you get once in a while with a Chalice deck and the reason people trash the card in the SCD thread. If your draws decide to suck, they really suck and you don't have much you can do about it. Still not a very big sample size, but I continue to like my current configuration and the theory behind it. The sample size is small, but most of the major archetypes are represented, without claiming the results to be 100% as you should expect, aka I got pretty lucky against Sneak and Show for example.

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Relating to the stompy version, and following your theory of playing more bombs instead of FoWs (which I think is fine) I would also cut the following:

- Baleful Strix: it is more oriented to control the aggro in the first turns and although card draw is excellent, it is not a turn 1 card and in turn 2 our priority should be to put a Lodestone Golem, a Trinisphere or a planeswalker in the battlefield as these are real bombs which required an immediate answer from our opponent.
    - Thopter/sword combo: I think the combo is just a little bit too slow for a stompy version.
    - Transmute artifact: if no thopter/sword combo is available and you don't want a toolbox because you prefer all your cards to be a bomb, i think transmute should also be cut.

These are 10 slots that may be used for more aggro or stompy style (i.e. Lotus Petal, Steel Hellkite, freaking cards like esperzoa, masticore or slash panther, etc) and the most important card: Toxic Deluge. I believe Toxic Deluge would be the perfect sweaper for us. 80% of the creatures of the meta have a toughness of 1 or 2 (including True Name Némesis if it sees heavy play). With no baleful in your maindeck, I would include 3 Toxic Deluge in my main with no doubt.

There are also some cards which I have certain doubts:

- Lodestone/Trinisphere: both are excellent cards but when you have a Trinishpehe in play, Lodestone is just a 5/3 (which is fine but not particularly amazing) so maybe I would reduce the number of Lodestone/Trinisphere and would include 3 copies of Tangle Wire which may allow you to establish a strong mana base for your planeswalker or your 6CC bombs.
    - Chalice of the Void: is an excellent card against combo and RUG, but I think it is only really powerful on the play so I am not pretty sure if this should be more sideboard card.
    I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with pretty much everything you said.

Baleful Strix: You are right, the ideal game of my list and all U/B Tezz lists is T1 Chalice followed by a four drop on turn two. Problem is, in reality that sequence will not happen every game. Sometimes a Delver does slip through, either because they won the die roll, or you didn't have the Sol land on T1, or they countered your Chalice, or you didn't have the Chalice. Playing a Planeswalker on T2 with your board empty against a Delver or Goblins is not what you want to be doing. Baleful Strix is a cheap efficient solution to all those problems while also providing you with card advantage. In the match of T2 R3 against BURG, twice my opponent had a flipped Delver and I used my whole turn to play Strix, which my opponent bolted before it could block. I still consider my turns well spent. He was stuck on two lands (as these kind of decks do), so having to use one mana to kill my Strix limited his options (I know his deck is like 50% one mana spells, but he can no longer cantrip into one he wants and still play it). It also meant when I played Jace afterwards to bounce his Delver he didn't have any more bolts to kill Jace and in the meantime I had not taken six damage to my face.

Thopter/Sword: Yes, it takes more setup than dropping a 5/3 Golem or making 5/5s with Tezz. As for the speed, I'd argue that based on your average board position when you assemble the combo, it kills at least as fast as a singular Lodestone. It also provides a very nice alternative route to victory that is very hard to handle for a lot of decks at the moment, especially since the most played graveyard hate now a days seems to be Grafdigger, Surgical or DRS, none of which interrupt you at all or if you play correctly (Surgical). It turns Terminus into a speed bump instead of a blowout. It keeps your life total healthy despite all the damage you inflict yourself, which is highly relevant against all the decks packing Bolts. Also I consider it not only a win-con, but also another semi-lock-piece. There is no difference if your opponents Delver is stuck in his hand because you resolved a Chalice on T1, or if it is in play and flipped but can do nothing for the rest of the game because you make 5+ Thopter tokens each turn to block his attacks and still swarm him.

Transmute: Even without the dedicated Toolbox most lists play, this still wins a very large percentage of the games it is cast. It means you play 5 Trinispheres and 6 Lodestones against Storm, 4 Ensnaring Bridges after boarding against Sneak and Show and as you yourself mentioned, it enables very fast Thopter/Sword without needing to waste slots.

FoW: All of the cards discussed above also tie into this one. I did not cut FoW completely, but moved it to the board. Playing a blue Chalice deck means you get the option to not die against a deck comboing you out on T1 when you are on the draw. It also means you can vary your disruption against decks where the artifact based disruption you play in the maindeck is not optimal. Chalice/Trini/Lodestone all are not perfect against decks like Sneak and Show. But if you want to board in FoW, you need a minimum of blue cards in your maindeck to support them. Only playing 8 planeswalkers as your blue cards will not work. I think even my blue count is rather low after boarding.

Toxic Deluge: Yes, I like this card a lot. It fits nearly perfectly and I am thinking of either using a third in my board or playing one main and going down to a single Wurmcoil to do it. (By the way, am I the only guy that has a crush on this card? Most of the SCG lists play none. Would love to hear some of the reasoning why you all cut him.)

Lodestone/Trini: I think you miss the point of why I'm playing both of these cards. I know that they don't interact that well with each other. In the tournaments I played in, Lodestone several times became mostly a vanilla 5/3 because I had already resolved a Trinisphere. But as the SCD thread on Chalice teaches us, Chalice decks suck because they are inconsistent. How do you gain consistency if you can not play cantrips? You play more cards with similar effects. Sneak and Show, often praised as being one of the most consistent combo decks played, plays a lot of cantrips, but it starts with 8 of each combo pieces. Look at Dragon Stompy. The second Blood Moon is even more dead than the Lodestone after Trini, but no one ever even considers playing less than 8 Moon effects. Yes the second one is substandard, but not only do you want one every game, you actually want back up because not every deck just scoops to the first Chalice/Trini/Golem, because they can either counter or destroy it.

Tangle Wire: I've seen the list playing four of these in the main deck with quite a bit of success, but in my list and in principle, I'm skeptical. I like the card and think it is a powerful effect, but the list playing Tangle Wire plays Mox Opals and Lotus Petals, enabling it to get more permanents on the board quickly than a list with Signets and Talismans (Talismen?), to take full advantage of it. Simply jamming Tangle Wire into a list without considering the other 56 cards will not yield optimal results. The part I'm mostly skeptical about though is: Tangle Wire does not stop Cantrips like Probe or Brainstorm or Top activations from being used by combo decks to sculpt a perfect hand to enable Land -> Ritual -> Ritual -> etc etc -> kill you, while it allows you to set up your mana but as all your threads are creatures or planeswalkers, unless you get an absurd amount of mana, you will take a couple of turns to actually play a thread or a second disruption piece.

CotV: I do not want to sound disrespectful, but this is were I have to start questioning how many Chalice decks you have played. Yes, Chalice is the most powerful on the play T1. But, so is Delver. Yet no Delver deck will put them into his sideboard. Your deck revolves around this card. Without it, your whole deck would look different or wouldn't exist at all. Playing it on T2 or on the draw is just fine. It is not as powerful as the alternative, but look at it like this: They have resolved a Ponder/Delver/etc on their first turn. You have now turned 50% of their deck into dead draws. Who wins the trade off? And yes, it is the most powerful against Delver or Combo. But it is by no means bad against other decks. Just count the cc1 cards in a deck like Miracles, Jund or even Dredge.

Dec 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA

Ended the day at 5-3, dreamcrushed in round 8. Surprisingly lost to RUG for two of my rounds either to really good hands on their part or iffy keeps on my part. Got booted due to manascrew in my round 8 against True-Name BUG. My day looked something like:

R1: Goblins (2-1)
    R2: Quadlaser Dredge (2-0)
    R3: BUG Delver (2-1)
    R4: Manaless Dredge (2-1)
    R5: RUG (1-2)
    R6: Omnishow (2-1)
    R7: RUG (0-2)
    R8: True-Name BUG (0-2)

Played my normal list with the sideboard I talked about earlier but with Golgari Charm over Abrupt Decay. I'm not 100% sure how I feel about it, since I killed an Omniscience with it to take R6 (I also had Trinisphere in play so that might be moot) but had it rotting in my hand to a lethal Tarmogoyf in R8. Toxic Deluge was pretty sweet most of the time, as the ability to pay 6 to wipe some Goyfs away was really, really relevant on the day. It does suck to have it countered as one might expect, though that only happened once as I took care to bait countermagic before I played it. That card will be staying in the board for sure.

Dec 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA

So, double post, but a little more detail:

The 75 I played:
    Code:
    1 Academy Ruins
    4 Ancient Tomb
    2 City of Traitors
    1 Creeping Tar Pit
    2 Island
    2 Misty Rainforest
    3 Polluted Delta
    1 Swamp
    1 Tropical Island
    3 Underground Sea
    3 Wasteland
    4 Chalice of the Void
    1 Engineered Explosives
    4 Mox Diamond
    4 Baleful Strix
    2 Dimir Signet
    2 Sword of the Meek
    3 Thopter Foundry
    2 Transmute Artifact
    1 Crucible of Worlds
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    3 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    4 Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas
    2 The Abyss
    4 Force of Will

SB:
    1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Golgari Charm
    3 Toxic Deluge
    1 Trinisphere
    1 Helm of Obedience
    4 Leyline of the Void
    3 Lodestone Golem
    R1: Goblins
    I arrive at the first match of the day, sit across from my opponent, and keep a 7 with a T1 Chalice and some other reasonable cards. Luckily for me, not only is his hand super slow (no plays on turn 1), but either he never drew a Lackey or was unaware of the interaction between Cavern of Souls and Chalice. I made a lot of thopters, and took down G1. G2, I Deluged him, but he was able to chain enough Ringleaders (he saw all 4 of them in this game) to stay in it. In game 3, he had a hand with two Vials, which was quickly dismantled on turn 2 by an EE to get both of them. I stalled him enough with that to accumulate a board presence as he missed a lot of land drops, and ulted him out with Tezzeret.

+1 Pithing Needle
    +1 Golgari Charm
    +3 Toxic Deluge
    +1 Engineered Explosives
    -4 Chalice of the Void
    -2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor

1-0

R2: Dredge
    This was... not a very interactive game of Magic. My opponent had Faithless Looting on his T1 to get a Stinkweed Imp into his GY, but when he dredged it on the following turn, he hit absolutely nothing relevant. I killed him shortly afterward after Wastelanding all of his mana. In game two, I dropped a T0 Leyline, and Helmed him out on turn 5 or so.

-2 The Abyss
    -1 Crucible of Worlds
    -1 Thopter Foundry
    -1 Sword of the Meek
    +4 Leyline of the Void
    +1 Helm of Obedience

2-0

R3: BUG Delver
    Game 1, I kept one of those hands that looks really sweet except for the mana. I played City into Chalice, with a Diamond for colored mana, and Thopter/Sword in hand. I didn't draw any land as my opponent played out some Tarmogoyfs, and I conceded having only played Chalice and City so my opponent would put me on MUD. Things did not look good for me as I mulled down to 5 in game two, but it turned out my 5 was the actual nut 5: Thopter Foundry, Sword of the Meek, Baleful Strix, and two fetchlands. I played out my combo as I drew more lands, and my opponent died without seeing any way to interact with my flying army. I mulled AGAIN in game 3 (so many 1 landers in this tournament), but was able to take over the game with early planeswalkers and finished him with my Thopter army.

-4 Chalice
    +1 EE
    +3 Toxic Deluge

3-0

R4: Manaless Dredge
    This might have been one of the quickest matches of Magic that I've ever played. On the play, I laid Underground Sea and passed. My opponent drew, discarded Phantasmagorian, and I conceded because my hand contained zero interaction against that. Games 2 and 3 were identical to each other, as I laid a T0 Leyline, and my opponent immediately conceded because he had no interaction with that card in his 75.

-2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    -4 Chalice of the Void
    +4 Leyline of the Void
    +1 Helm of Obedience
    +1 Pithing Needle

4-0

R5: RUG
    This match was a typical RUG matchup, extremely swingy and draw-dependent. G1, I kept a hand that would be fine against something like Stoneblade, with some lands, a Force, a Diamond, a Jace, and a Transmute. Against a T1 Mongoose, though, this hand was not so great. I played an Island and passed, and he laid out a Delver. On my T2, I ripped another Diamond, and decided that I needed to go all in on my Transmute if I wanted a shot at winning the game. I laid out Ancient Tomb, played out two Diamonds, and cast Transmute leaving Force+Jace in my hand. My opponent dazed, I forced back, and Transmute resolved sacrificing Diamond to get Ensnaring Bridge. At this point, I was hellbent, and after playing out a few turns with me drawing into more mana and casting all of the spells I drew, he conceded. Games 2 and 3 had a lot of countermagic on his end and not much interaction on my end, and I lost in short order.

-4 Force of Will
    +3 Toxic Deluge
    +1 Golgari Charm

4-1

R6: Omnishow
    Of all the Snow and Tell decks, this is the easiest one to beat. Though he killed me game 1 through a Chalice at 1, games 2 and 3 were taken down by simply playing out LSG/Trinisphere when I had multiples and Showing one in when he cast that card. Game 3 was a little closer, but as I had only let him see LSG in Game 2, he allowed my Transmute with 3 mana up and only Diamonds on the battlefield to resolve. Trinisphere is a pretty hard counter to his deck, though, and he lost shortly after. Plus, I got to Golgari Charm an Omniscience with Trinisphere out disallowing him from any responses, which was pretty nice.

-2 The Abyss
    -1 Engineered Explosives
    -1 Crucible of Worlds
    -1 Ensnaring Bridge
    +3 Lodestone Golem
    +1 Trinisphere
    +1 Golgari Charm

5-1

R7: RUG
    I can't remember this match very well, but I boarded the same was as I did against my last RUG opponent, and lost in a flurry of countermagic and Wastelands.

5-2

R8: Shardless BUG
    Ahh, the dreamcrusher round. I got absolutely demolished here. In both games, my 7 was highly dependent on artifact mana, and in both games, my opponent had at least two Decay in his opening 7. This felt a lot like playing against a RUG nut draw. I ended both games with very few permanents in play while he murdered me with Deathrites and Goyfs.

5-3, drop.

At the Legacy Plus event on Sunday, I had a dissapointing 4-3 record after being paired against Imperial Painter in both rounds 1 and 2 and l. Goblin Welder and Vexing Shusher (seriously?) are pretty good against us it seems.

All in all, I had a pretty good run. Toxic Deluge is just as good as I had anticipated, though it feels as bad as one might expect if it gets countered. I don't plan on changing a thing about the Maindeck, and the only SB card that underperformed was probably Pithing Needle, though that might have just been the matchups. Needle did win me a game against Affinity on Sunday, so it is relevant in some cases.

Judgy Curmudgeon
    Feb 2006

Minor primer update. I have been playing with CVM's Transmute/Jace swap, and I am liking it, and my board is now a 1/1/1 split between Damnation, Toxic Deluge, and Perish. I am keeping the Perish because of how much it kills T2, and how much less it hurts to cast than Deluge (but I bring in all 3 a lot of the time.)

I also want a foil, Japanese, misprint Grafdigger's Cage, signed by Finkel himself. That 1-of in the board has saved my bacon more times in the last month than any other single card in the list.

Also, credit where credit is due to Undomain's list. While I don't personally like the prison-y side of things, I am not one to pretend that something I don't like doesn't win. I don't like primers that cover every possible configuration of a deck, but I have added his list for credit's sake.
    Check out my Legacy UBTezz Primer. Chalice of the Void: Keeping Magic Fair.
    -----
    Playing since '96. Brief forced break '02-04. Former/Idle Judge since '05. Told Smmenen to play faster at Vintage Worlds.
    -----
    Most of the 'Ban brainstorm!' arguments are based on the logic that 'more different cards should get played in Legacy', as though the success or health of the format can be measured by the portion of cards that are available and see play. This is an idiotic metric.

Hello all, this is my first time posting in the Tezz forum. I made day 2 of the GP with the following:

4 Baleful Strix
    1 Solemn Simulacrum
    1 Wurmcoil Engine
    3 Talisman of Dominance
    3 Dimir Signet
    3 Chalice of the Void
    2 Thopter Foundry
    1 Sword of the Meek
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Ratchet Bomb
    1 Engineered Explosives
    4 Force of Will
    3 Transmute Artifact
    2 Thirst for Knowledge
    1 Damnation

4 Polluted Delta
    4 Underground Sea
    2 Island
    1 Swamp
    4 Ancient Tomb
    3 City of Traitors
    1 Darkslick Shores
    1 Academy Ruins
    1 Seat of the Synod

Sideboard:
    2 Dread of Night
    2 Grafdigger's Cage
    1 Damnation
    1 Toxic Deluge
    1 Engineered Plague
    1 Lodestone Golem
    1 Trinisphere
    1 Cursed Totem
    1 Meekstone
    1 Vendilion Clique
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Phyrexian Revoker
    1 Wurmcoil Engine

Rd 01: Bye
    Rd 02: Lands W (2-0)
    Rd 03: Sneak and Show W (2-1)
    Rd 04: RUG W (2-0) [Alexander Hayne]
    Rd 05: ANT L (0-2) [LSV]
    Rd 06: Elves L (1-2) [Josh Utter-Leyton]
    Rd 07: Affinity W (2-1)
    Rd 08: High Tide W (2-1)
    Rd 09: Charbelcher W (2-0)
    Rd 10: RUG W (2-1)
    Rd 11: RUG L (1-2)
    Rd 12: Death and Taxes L (0-2)

Some of the highlights:

In round 2 against Lands, my opponent copied my Academy Ruins with his Thespian's Stage to start recurring Oblivion Stone, which was awkward. Fortunately this was a very slow plan on his part and allowed me to find a needle for his O-stone and a Jace to fateseal him to death.

In round 3, my Sneak and Show opponent played a Grafdigger's Cage and a Pithing Needle naming...wait for it...Ancient Tomb. Poor guy traveled all the way from the Netherlands to play in this GP too.

In round 4, a topdecked Wurmcoil Engine won me a game I had no business winning against Alex. Wurmcoil also won me Rd 10 against RUG. I don't know if I can see running this deck without at least 1 in the 75.

Round 5, LSV, my first time playing one of my magic idols. In general, I like playing against storm with Tezz, but it was not to be as I mulled to 4 game 1 and mulled to 5 game 2. Oh well.

Round 6, Gleeful Sabotage blowouts, ugh.

Round 8 against high tide, in game 2, I am threatening Tezz Ult but I'm pretty sure I'm dead when he goes High Tide, High Tide, Meditate. He bricks off, and I get two turns! I go to ultimate Tezz for lethal and he responds with Hurkyl's Recall (!), and I pick up like 7 artifacts, not to mention my Tezz is dead. Luckily two of those were strixes, which allowed me to find Chalice on 1 and Revoker for Candelabra of Tawnos.

Round 9, I'm sweating bullets, because I've never made day 2 before. He's on the play and opens with Chrome Mox, Chrome Mox, Lion's Eye Diamond, Lion's Eye Diamond, Burning Wish. I couldn't slam down Force of Will fast enough. Game 2 he opens on Chrome Mox, Taiga, Simian Spirit Guide, Magus of the Moon. Yep, this was his plan. I proceed to play a bunch of Mountains into Signets and destroy him.

I dropped on day 2 after losing rounds 11 and 12. Against Death and Taxes in particular, I think I lost because I wasn't familiar enough with how the matchup played out, and Thalia, Guardian of Thraben is a real pain. Baleful strix is colossally bad in that matchup.

Overall the deck was awesome and I would definitely play it again, probably with some tweaks. The maindeck Needle was probably unnecessary, and another sweeper would probably be better in that slot. I only drew Solemn once, in which he was absurd, but I did board him out a lot, so maybe he isn't good enough. I think more Lodestones in the board is warranted, its just an outstanding card for both pressure and disruption in the match ups you want it.

Dec 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA

Congrats on the finish! How was only having 3 Chalices in your deck? Did you ever find yourself wanting it on turn 1 in certain matchups, or was that number sufficient?

Quote Originally Posted by Undomian View Post
    Congrats on the finish! How was only having 3 Chalices in your deck? Did you ever find yourself wanting it on turn 1 in certain matchups, or was that number sufficient?
    I did wish I had it on turn one more often. The reason I tried only 3 maindeck was because drawing multiples is often terrible, and its not great for transmute fodder. However, I think it was wrong not to run the fourth in the sideboard, because it is such an important card in some matchups.

Aes Sídhe
    Sep 2010
    Williamsport, PA.

Won my local last night with Tezz. 1-of maindeck Trinisphere was a savage beating, coming in handy against ANT, Infect Stompy, and Aluren. I didn't see it against Reanimator, but I left it in for that matchup as well.

Here's where my list -was-:

4 Baleful Strix

3 Force of Will
    2 Intuition
    3 Transmute Artifact

4 Talisman of Dominance
    2 Dimir Signet
    4 Chalice of the Void
    1 Trinisphere
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Crucible of Worlds
    1 Trading Post
    3 Thopter Foundry
    2 Sword of the Meek
    1 Time Sieve

1 Seat of the Synod
    1 Island
    1 Swamp
    1 Darkslick Shores
    4 Ancient Tomb
    3 City of Traitors
    2 Wasteland
    4 Underground Sea
    1 Academy Ruins
    4 Polluted Delta

//Sb
    1 Force of Will
    1 Grafdigger's Cage
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Guardian Beast
    1 Phyrexian Revoker
    1 Cursed Totem
    1 Jester's Cap
    1 In the Eye of Chaos
    1 Perish
    1 Virtue's Ruin (couldn't get a pair of Deluges for these two slots)
    2 Lodestone Golem

I tried sideboarding out 1 Thopter, 1 Sword and found that 2/1 was a reasonable split -- it took me a little longer to hit it when I needed to, but not really an unreasonable amount. The Sieve was a bad idea that I felt like trying -- it never did anything.

Intuitions have continued to be stone money for me. I like them substantially more than the more popular Thirst for Knowledges.

3 Jace has felt fine; 3 Force has not.

Planned changes:

-1 Thopter
    -1 Sword
    -1 Time Sieve

+1 Force of Will
    +?
    +?

SB:

-2 Perish / Virtue's Ruin
    -1 Force of Will

+2 Toxic Deluge
    +1 Engineered Plague

That's where I'm at for the moment. Not sure what I want the remaining two maindeck slots to be.

Dec 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Arianrhod View Post
    That's where I'm at for the moment. Not sure what I want the remaining two maindeck slots to be.
    Some kind of sweeper/The Abyss, perhaps?

Also, how has Trading Post performed for you? What matchups do you find it to be good in? I've tried it in playtesting but it has never really done anything much for me.

Thinking about Magic...
    Jan 2011
    Italy

@arian: i suggest ratchet bomb for your 2main deck slot because i think you're light on removal and imagine that you heavily relay on bridge against aggro

Inviato dal mio Galaxy Nexus utilizzando Tapatalk
    Ignorance is strength

Aes Sídhe
    Sep 2010
    Williamsport, PA.

Quote Originally Posted by Undomian View Post
    Some kind of sweeper/The Abyss, perhaps?

Also, how has Trading Post performed for you? What matchups do you find it to be good in? I've tried it in playtesting but it has never really done anything much for me.
    That's where I'm leaning for the moment....some kind of anti-aggro / anti-fair option.

The Post with the Most has been wonderful. It's essentially the 8th planeswalker, in lieu of the 4th Jace -- except that it can be transmuted for. It blocks basically anything (none of the commonly played Swords of X/Y give pro-white) short of a True-Name. It gains 4 life a chunk vs burn-heavy matchups / unchecked Delvers / makes Tendrils count harder / lets you continue using Ancient Tomb longer. It forms a backup recursion engine, sacrificing Thopter tokens to recur useful artifacts. It sacrifices useless lategame Chalices and manarocks and turns them into fresh cards. One of my favorite things to do with it is to sacrifice Sword of the Meek to it, draw a card, then play a Baleful Strix and bring the sword back -- makes a nice little engine.

It also enables an Intuition pile of Academy Ruins / Crucible of Worlds / Trading Post, which ensures that you get all 3.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

I think it's most underrated ability - discard to gain life and keep Ensnaring Bridge at the right threshold !!!

I like this idea, and I'll be incorporating it into my list. (Mostly because Thirst for Knowledge does not come in Korean, and Intuition + Trading Post do )
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Dec 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA

My next monthly is coming up, I'll give it a shot. I might try something like -1Thopter/-1Sword, +1 Wurmcoil Engine +1 Post.
    UBr Tezzeret
    Quote Originally Posted by sdematt View Post
    I mean, if you're going to play as 61st card, the card should cost over $100 I think.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    I think it's most underrated ability - discard to gain life and keep Ensnaring Bridge at the right threshold !!!

I like this idea, and I'll be incorporating it into my list. (Mostly because Thirst for Knowledge does not come in Korean, and Intuition + Trading Post do )
    Post + bridge is indeed GG vs any deck that wants to win with creatures
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Post + bridge is indeed GG vs any deck that wants to win with creatures
    I dropped the totem for the third bridge there and it was key in many victories. Having a Trading Post online with the bridge to control the number of cards in your hand is insane.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Shit how old is that? Lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Shit how old is that? Lol
    Hahaha yeah it's funny when new tech is really really old ...

Thread Information