Page 6 of 69 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] 8Tezz.dec - UB Tezzeret

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Re: [Deck] 8Tezz.dec - UB Tezzeret

Bleh played this deck tonite and went 2-2. Need more practice. Tried Liliana in the SB, but they did jack shit against Jund & Sneak Show (but were better than bullshit board control shit). Intuition was almost never useful for me, as I never had an opening to durdle with it.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Site Contributor
    Feb 2011
    Vancouver

i love me a durdly UB(gx) control shell no matter what the bombs are, but the days of getting to a) intuition b) resolve what you intuitioned for c) get value out of the things you binned (loam, ee/ruins, worm harvest, rites/fatty etc) are long gone in legacy, sadly. if only i had a time machine to go play It's the Fear…
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    I'm not saying sugarcoat the tournament scene, that's impossible, but for God's sake just act like a damned grown-up. Be polite, play fast-ish but allow for a little thought now and then, represent the rules to the best of your ability and be a good sport.
    Quote Originally Posted by thecrav View Post
    WotC fucks up something computer related. Film @ 11.
    @warfordium on twitter.

Why nobody plays Lim-Dul's Vault ?
    It seems very strong and in the right colors.
    It has never disappointed me in this build.

Dec 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA

Quote Originally Posted by tyndall View Post
    Why nobody plays Lim-Dul's Vault ?
    It seems very strong and in the right colors.
    It has never disappointed me in this build.
    I mean, yeah, this is a sweet card, but why would we play this when we already play Transmute Artifact? Vault does search for our walkers/other spells if we need those, but most of the time anything we need to tutor for will be one of our toolbox artifacts, and TA puts those right onto the battlefield.
    UBr Tezzeret
    Quote Originally Posted by sdematt View Post
    I mean, if you're going to play as 61st card, the card should cost over $100 I think.

Judgy Curmudgeon
    Feb 2006

Finally faced the Mirror this weekend at NM. I don't know if it's right or wrong, but I boarded -2 Foundry/Sword and +2 EPlague and +2 Thoughtseize G2. Named Bird and Horror (rather awkwardly, I wanted to name Thopter...) when my JTMS got Revoker'd.

I was terribly happy with the extra Transmute G1, although, I think I am slowly coming around to another Bridge in the board. As it stands, 2x Misdirection, 2x Eplague, 2xPerish, 2x Thoughtseize all seem to be environment dependent, and the 1x Needle, 1x Cage, 1x EE and 1x Damnation (with 1 in the Main of both) are the regular crew. I think it's hard to have more than 8 set SB slots without a clear plan based on the meta, and I don't think that's a bad thing.
    Check out my Legacy UBTezz Primer. Chalice of the Void: Keeping Magic Fair.
    -----
    Playing since '96. Brief forced break '02-04. Former/Idle Judge since '05. Told Smmenen to play faster at Vintage Worlds.
    -----
    Most of the 'Ban brainstorm!' arguments are based on the logic that 'more different cards should get played in Legacy', as though the success or health of the format can be measured by the portion of cards that are available and see play. This is an idiotic metric.

Aes Sídhe
    Sep 2010
    Williamsport, PA.

Good job, guys -- Tezz is stone unplayable.

Quote Originally Posted by Ari Lax (SCG Article today)
    I would talk about card decisions, but the deck was just bad.

Straight. Up. Unplayable.

Instead, I'm going to talk about why it was bad.

Tezzeret is not a fluid deck. You can have turn 2 planeswalkers. More often you are trying to play multiple spells after playing a City of Traitors early on.

Tezzeret is not a consistent deck. Your deck is very much on the plan of a small number of game breakers carrying a large number of enablers. This can be fine, but your ability to mulligan is constrained by needing a lot of your enablers to actually survive to a game state where your finishers matter.

Tezzeret is not a very powerful deck. Chalice of the Void can be a hard lock. Ensnaring Bridge can be a hard lock. Most of the time neither is. The only card in the deck that is reliably awesome is Tezzeret since it actually kills them. Jace only draws you into more do-nothings. Thopter Foundry is awesome . . . if you find Sword of the Meek.

Tezzeret is a small-ball deck. Tezzeret is a good card, but it functions on the level of 5/5 creatures. It is not Emrakuls or Griselbrands.

Tezzeret is very bad against in-play permanents. My opponents would play a couple threats and counter a spell, and I would die.
    Here's the real joke. Here's his list:

Creatures (5)

4 Baleful Strix
    1 Phyrexian Revoker

Planeswalkers (7)

3 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    4 Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas

Lands (21)

1 Seat of the Synod
    1 Island
    1 Swamp
    4 Ancient Tomb
    3 City of Traitors
    2 Darkslick Shores
    3 Polluted Delta
    4 Underground Sea
    1 Academy Ruins
    1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth

Spells (27)

4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Dimir Signet
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Nihil Spellbomb
    1 Ratchet Bomb
    2 Sword of the Meek
    3 Talisman of Dominance
    2 Thopter Foundry
    4 Force of Will
    2 Thirst For Knowledge
    2 Damnation
    2 Transmute Artifact

Sideboard
    2 Ensnaring Bridge
    2 Grafdigger's Cage
    1 Meekstone
    1 Trinisphere
    2 Lodestone Golem
    3 Dread of Night
    1 Engineered Plague
    3 Duress

The maindeck is pretty close to the SCG special. The maindeck Revoker doesn't offend me, but I still hate the maindeck Nihil, Ratchet, and the Thirsts. Whatever, that's standard fare.

Look at the sideboard. It's no wonder he did terribly with the deck and considers it unplayable. He was playing with essentially a 9-card board. I fail to see in what reality running 3 Dread of Night and 2 Grafdigger's Cage is better than cutting 1 of those slots and running a Cursed Totem. I could also start ranting about Dread of Night in general, but it just doesn't make sense to me why you -wouldn't- run Cursed Totem when you're obviously worried about DnT and Elves.

Trinisphere should be maindeck, Meekstone is profoundly unimpressive in this deck, and I loathe Duress in Tezz -- Flusterstorm is better, since you can throw up a Chalice@1 and still Flusterstorm people through it, as well as helping to keep your blue card count up postboard.

Thinking about Magic...
    Jan 2011
    Italy

I've never been fond of the thirst for knowledge: this deck usually is a CA engine to the point that I've never wanted to cast thirst.
    I believe those slots are better used with dimir charm. I think I would also play the full set of jace, possibly going down to 5 mana stone.
    Ignorance is strength

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Does any one play lodestone golem in here? Thalia is usually a solid card vs Combo decks. Thalia that kills in 4 turns seems good. Is it really only a sideboard card?
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Does any one play lodestone golem in here?
    I posted my latest list with 4 golem main here and also posted the results of two local tournaments with it here.

Before TNN it was definitely not only a sideboard card. It is a very nice card that I brought in in a lot of match-ups before trying them main. I'm not sure if it is quite as strong now, because if a TNN sticks, it is pretty much useless. On the other hand it is quite good at delaying TNN if you can get it down T2. The other card you don't want to see with Golem is Bolt. Golem/Wurmcoil also have some anti-synergy with Ensaring Bridge, a strategy that seems to be heavily emphasized in the control heavy lists most people seem to prefer. If TNN will indeed be such a format defining card, I doubt that 4 Golem main will be very good. I would probably always play at least one main as an additional Transmute target though.

Judgy Curmudgeon
    Feb 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Arianrhod View Post
    Good job, guys -- Tezz is stone unplayable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellomdian
    I was hoping for at least some analysis based on your matchup and SB'ing decisions, and got "My opponents would play a couple threats and counter a spell, and I would die." - So you played RUG 7 rounds, and never jammed Chalice for 1 successfully on them? "I would talk about card decisions, but the deck was just bad. Straight. Up. Unplayable." Brilliant!
    I realize I have a vested interest, but that article just pissed me off. And then he talks about how much better Tron would have been...

Ari's board decisions confuse me, as though he didn't bother testing very much. He is HEAVILY slanted towards the anti-aggro plan, and unlike previous commentators, I hate Revoker with 2 Damnations MD. I don't see how you can run multiple Dread Of Night unless you are planning on playing 3+ games against DnT and Maverick (thanks for last year's tech Ari!) I prefer Thirst, but I don't feel it's essential, but I also go for Thoughtseize from the SB to have a more control-y option. Meekstone is just bad now (and I don't think it was ever actually really good) and Bridge will Cure What Ails You (TM). I don't think there is a good reason not to run 3 Transmute now, and while I don't like Trinisphere in the main, Cursed Totem in the board is a Bingo-card for Elves and DnT.

Anyways, it's been a while since I've posted the 'current' list I am running, so...

Maindeck

Creatures (4)
    4 Baleful Strix

Planeswalkers (7)
    3 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    4 Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas

Lands (22)
    1 Seat of the Synod
    1 Island
    1 Swamp
    4 Ancient Tomb
    3 City of Traitors
    3 Darkslick Shores
    3 Polluted Delta
    4 Underground Sea
    1 Academy Ruins
    1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth

Spells (27)
    4 Chalice of the Void
    2 Dimir Signet
    1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Nihil Spellbomb
    1 Ratchet Bomb
    2 Sword of the Meek
    4 Talisman of Dominance
    2 Thopter Foundry
    4 Force of Will
    2 Thirst For Knowledge
    3 Transmute Artifact

Sideboard
    1 Grafdigger's Cage
    1 Pithing Needle
    3 Lodestone Golem
    1 Toxic Deluge
    2 Perish
    1 Damnation
    2 Engineered Plague
    2 Misdirection
    2 Thoughtseize

The sideboard continues to upset me. I feel even happier with Plague since True Name is still a 'Folk, but as actual Folk and Goblins tech, it sorely lacks. Perish should probably be Deluge at this point, but every time I've had to Deluge to kill a Goyf after ~Turn 3, I feel VERY vulnerable. I have been happy with Misdirection every time I have cast it, but TBH it doesn't happen often and it could probably be something else.
    Last edited by Ellomdian; 11-27-2013 at 03:17 AM.
    -----
    Playing since '96. Brief forced break '02-04. Former/Idle Judge since '05. Told Smmenen to play faster at Vintage Worlds.
    -----
    Most of the 'Ban brainstorm!' arguments are based on the logic that 'more different cards should get played in Legacy', as though the success or health of the format can be measured by the portion of cards that are available and see play. This is an idiotic metric.

Hi guys,

i've been playing the deck for a while and i would like to share with you my considerations (and some questions of course).

I started winning a couple of very small tournament (8 people), then i placed 6th to a 18-persons event (http://www.thecouncil.es/tcdecks/dec...5&iddeck=88116) and then 6th again in a 54-persons event (http://www.thecouncil.es/tcdecks/dec...6&iddeck=87329)

Yesterday I lost in the semifinal of an approx 35 persons tournament.

The last list i played is

4 Baleful Strix
    4 Tezzeret, the Seeker
    2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    1 The Abyss
    1 Toxic deluge
    2 Thirst for Knowledge
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Force of Will
    3 Talisman of Dominance
    3 Dimir Signet
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Enginereed Explosives
    1 ratchet bomb
    1 Pithing Needle
    2 Thopter Foundry
    2 Sword of the Meek
    2 Transmute Artifact
    4 Undergorund Sea
    3 Polluted Delta
    3 Darkslick Shores
    1 Swamp
    1 Island
    1 Urborg, Tomb of Yagwmoth
    1 Academy Ruins
    1 Seat of the Synod
    4 Ancient Tomb
    3 City of Traitors

Sb
    1 nihilbspellbomb
    1 grafdigger cage
    2 misdirection
    1 damnation
    1 transmute artifact
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 trinisphere
    3 lodestone golem
    1 Engineered plague
    1 cursed totem
    1 the abyss
    1 ensnaring bridge

The main changes are related to find a why to fight True Nemesis : i put a The Abyss on the sideboard for a Toxic Deluge main and engineered plague + ensnaring bridge.

I never loved Nihil Spellbomb main so i chose pithing needle that has a more general use (and i always find him very useful).

The cards i love less in my main are Engineered Explosives and Ratched bomb, i never tutor them with transmute artifact and i would like to cut at least one of them (probably EE because is less synergic with Transmute Artifact).

Sideboard is quite good but i'm still thinking to do some tweaks on it: Damnation could be easily another Toxic Deluge (very good in this deck) and cursed totem is just overkill in this list... maybe a torpor orb could be sweet (it blocks mystic, snap, vendilion, visionary, behemot, nic-fit creatures and a lot of goblin creatures... goblin match up is a nightmare)

I would like to put other good answers for Nemesis and Goblins and i thought to 2 engineered plague, maybe cutting a lodestone and... whatelse?

Misdirections are a weird card :I use them as 5th and 6th FoW versus Combo to protect an hate card and they go in against Decay and/or Tourach but against BUG decks i usually board out a lot of blue cards and the blue count is so low...i don't know if they deserve a place in this sideboard.

So
    1) what do you think about putting 3 Engineered Plague in the sideboard? What would you cut for the 2 extra copies?
    2) what do you think about the Misdirections?
    3) What about Torpor Orb ?
    4) If i cut engineered explosives, what card could i play in the main?

I think that, in a TNN-heavy meta, you actually put 2 EPlague main with a third in the board - they replace The Abyss and the EE main, and EE replaces the The Abyss in the board. The main issue is that you control the ability, so TNN can't be targeted by it if it has protection from You.

Dec 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Darkenslight View Post
    I think that, in a TNN-heavy meta, you actually put 2 EPlague main with a third in the board - they replace The Abyss and the EE main, and EE replaces the The Abyss in the board. The main issue is that you control the ability, so TNN can't be targeted by it if it has protection from You.
    This seems extreme in a deck that already mainboards Ensnaring Bridge and can race TNN with Thopters. Plague is just dead in so many matchups that having it mainboard would be painful.

Quote Originally Posted by Giggioz View Post
    So
    1) what do you think about putting 3 Engineered Plague in the sideboard? What would you cut for the 2 extra copies?
    1) Plagues might be fine in the SB if you also have a lot of Elves/Goblins in your meta (though it is really not very good against Elves), but in most scenarios, sweepers like Damnation and Deluge are really what we're looking for.
    2) Misdirection is fine if you have a lot of black decks and combo with countermagic (Sneak and Show/Omni/Tide). I wouldn't bother otherwise.
    3) I've tried this, and while it was cute, there are often better targets to get with your Transmute. Our deck is already designed to beat the hell out of SFM decks, it isn't going to help much at all against Goblins (comes down too late to matter most of the time unless we have it in our opener), and Bridge is probably better against Elves.
    4) I like EE in the main, sometimes we need an out to problem permanents. We don't run it because we can Transmute for it, we run it because we can dig into it with Jace and Tezz and abuse it with Ruins in the late game.

I seem to be alone in this, but I feel like our TNN matchup is honestly not that bad. We have a number of maindeck ways to get around the thing (I've been emphasizing rushing Bridge and protecting it in these matchups), and post board, we can get rid of it without much of an issue.
    UBr Tezzeret
    I mean, if you're going to play as 61st card, the card should cost over $100 I think.

Judgy Curmudgeon
    Feb 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Undomian View Post
    I seem to be alone in this, but I feel like our TNN matchup is honestly not that bad. We have a number of maindeck ways to get around the thing (I've been emphasizing rushing Bridge and protecting it in these matchups), and post board, we can get rid of it without much of an issue.
    QFTruthery. Honestly, if TNN is a serious problem for you with this deck and it's SB options... What are you actually losing to? Because it sounds like there is another phase of the game you are losing to, and TNN is just cleaning it up.

Hi guys,

i've been playing the deck for a while and i would like to share with you my considerations (and some questions of course)....So

1. 3 in the board is likely overkill. EP is a good card against Elves, it's not bad against Goblins, and it's almost bad against Merfolk (with the exception of TNN sans lords.) If you can create a gamestate where you can reliably cast 2, it does a lot of damage against those tribes, but you are just piling on top of your other sweepers at that point.

2. I like Misdirections. I think there are more optimal cards for specific matchups, but I bring them in a lot against BUG, and I play against a lot of BUG. They also, as you pointed out, serve as Forces 5-6 to get spells through.

3. Topor Orb isn't bad, I'll leave it at that. Then again, Bridge eventually solves 90% of the problems you listed. And if your Goblins matchup is that bad, and hinges on Orb, you need more Sweepers. The Abyss is a BAD card against Gobbos. Needle main doesn't help much unless they are committed to the Vial plan. Hell, run Silent Arbiter out of the board - not many Gobbos can trade with him in combat ;)

4. EE fills an underappreciated niche of killing 1 and 2 drop permanants - I would argue for cutting the Ratchet Bomb over the EE main, and I am not going to do that. If you find the EE underwhelming, cut it and run another Bridge main. You can never have enough Bridge :p
    -----
    -----

Quote Originally Posted by Undomian View Post
    1) Plagues might be fine in the SB if you also have a lot of Elves/Goblins in your meta (though it is really not very good against Elves), but in most scenarios, sweepers like Damnation and Deluge are really what we're looking for.
    2) Misdirection is fine if you have a lot of black decks and combo with countermagic (Sneak and Show/Omni/Tide). I wouldn't bother otherwise.
    3) I've tried this, and while it was cute, there are often better targets to get with your Transmute. Our deck is already designed to beat the hell out of SFM decks, it isn't going to help much at all against Goblins (comes down too late to matter most of the time unless we have it in our opener), and Bridge is probably better against Elves.
    4) I like EE in the main, sometimes we need an out to problem permanents. We don't run it because we can Transmute for it, we run it because we can dig into it with Jace and Tezz and abuse it with Ruins in the late game.

1) I like the mix btw Plagues and Damnation/Deluge. I play maindeck The Abyss+Deluge and SB The Abyss+Deluge again ...adding 2 plagues is going to convince me :)
    2) I see the point and i'll keep them
    3) I don't think torpor orb is too slow for goblin: usually you can stall the board but then they may find matron for hooligan or bouncer and you simply lose... orb prevent this line of play. Orb vs goblin seems brutal: it stops siege gang, matron, ringleader, hooligan, stingscourger, marshal... by the way the card maybe is too narrow and i think one bridge more or the 2nd plague are just better
    4) the only time i found EE useful was vs miracle where i recurse them to kill 2 entreats... in general i never use it even because if i set them to 0 i destroy my COTV and if i set them to 2 i destroy manastones and combo pieces... furthermore we can not put them to 3 and it's pretty frustrating...

After these considerations i think to this SB

1 nihilbspellbomb
    1 grafdigger cage
    2 misdirection
    1 toxic deluge
    1 transmute artifact
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 trinisphere
    3 lodestone golem
    2 Engineered plague
    1 the abyss
    1 ensnaring bridge

Quote Originally Posted by Ellomdian View Post
    1. 3 in the board is likely overkill. EP is a good card against Elves, it's not bad against Goblins, and it's almost bad against Merfolk (with the exception of TNN sans lords.) If you can create a gamestate where you can reliably cast 2, it does a lot of damage against those tribes, but you are just piling on top of your other sweepers at that point.

2. I like Misdirections. I think there are more optimal cards for specific matchups, but I bring them in a lot against BUG, and I play against a lot of BUG. They also, as you pointed out, serve as Forces 5-6 to get spells through.

3. Topor Orb isn't bad, I'll leave it at that. Then again, Bridge eventually solves 90% of the problems you listed. And if your Goblins matchup is that bad, and hinges on Orb, you need more Sweepers. The Abyss is a BAD card against Gobbos. Needle main doesn't help much unless they are committed to the Vial plan. Hell, run Silent Arbiter out of the board - not many Gobbos can trade with him in combat ;)

4. EE fills an underappreciated niche of killing 1 and 2 drop permanants - I would argue for cutting the Ratchet Bomb over the EE main, and I am not going to do that. If you find the EE underwhelming, cut it and run another Bridge main. You can never have enough Bridge :p
    1) I agree. Maybe 1 more (2 in total) is just a good addiction to other sideboard cards like bridge and mass removal.
    2) Agreed. (see my previous post)
    3) Torpor orb is nice but see my previous post. It's too narrow as (UNFORTUNATLY) Silent Arbiter :) ... this is the card i was looking for beating goblins... but it's too narrow...i should side it vs elves and dredge but i have better cards in these mu. As i said before Torpor orb leaves for the 2nd plague.
    4) Bridge can be a nice substitute for EE/Rachet (i would cut EE for the reasons i wrote in the previous posts) and it would free one SB slot... nice point! I'll think on it.

Thanks guys, i think we are moving in the right direction.

Judgy Curmudgeon
    Feb 2006

1) I agree. Maybe 1 more (2 in total) is just a good addiction to other sideboard cards like bridge and mass removal.
    2) Agreed. (see my previous post)
    3) Torpor orb is nice but see my previous post. It's too narrow as (UNFORTUNATLY) Silent Arbiter :) ... this is the card i was looking for beating goblins... but it's too narrow...i should side it vs elves and dredge but i have better cards in these mu. As i said before Torpor orb leaves for the 2nd plague.
    4) Bridge can be a nice substitute for EE/Rachet (i would cut EE for the reasons i wrote in the previous posts) and it would free one SB slot... nice point! I'll think on it.

Thanks guys, i think we are moving in the right direction.
    Torpor Orb does nothing against against 90% of the goblins strategy of dude,dude,dude,kill you. It is literally a blank card against lords and beaters.
    -----
    -----

Additionally Topor Orb kinda kills your main way to survive against creatures as it prevents ThopterSword...

Judgy Curmudgeon
    Feb 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Sisyphos View Post
    Additionally Topor Orb kinda kills your main way to survive against creatures as it prevents ThopterSword...
    Probably siding out Thopter/sword against Gobbos, because I want to stack my sweepers and I generally am planning to win with a Big Tezz ult. But YMMV.

So there's a question for everybody - if I want to bring in 4-5 cards against Gobbos, what are YOU taking out?
    -----
    -----

Dec 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Ellomdian View Post
    Probably siding out Thopter/sword against Gobbos, because I want to stack my sweepers and I generally am planning to win with a Big Tezz ult. But YMMV.

So there's a question for everybody - if I want to bring in 4-5 cards against Gobbos, what are YOU taking out?
    Usually Jace and Chalice, as both are overwhelmingly subpar in that matchup.
    UBr Tezzeret

Thread Information