Page 190 of 382 FirstFirst ... 90140180186187188189190191192193194200240290 ... LastLast
Results 3,781 to 3,800 of 7635

Thread: [Primer] Elves!

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Re: [DTB] Elves!

I have tried Extraction. From memory I posted a 5 paragraph rant that can be summed up by simply saying "Its a trap".
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Quote Originally Posted by ESG View Post
    In my opinion, many people could stand to learn from Lemnear's firm words. They're certainly more useful than people babbling on about cards they misunderstand.

Now, to bring things back to strategy, how have people's results been vs. Miracles lately? Miracles has been expanding its presence in the Northwest, and it's had strong showings in the SCG Open Series for many months. How common is the deck where you play? There have been many ideas proposed in this thread (Bitterblossom, planeswalkers, Pithing Needle, Null Rod, blue splash, etc.), but, aside from Reclamation Sage and maybe Wren's Run Packmaster, I haven't seen a lot of reports on what is working well, what needs more testing, what is a dud, and what other options there are to explore.
    My MD is pretty standard but my SB is this:

3 Cabal Therapy
    2 Thoughtseize
    2 Pithing Needle
    2 Choke
    3 Abrupt Decay
    1 Sylvan Library
    1 Natural Order
    1 Progenitus.

Against Miracles, I usually SB in 2 Pithing Needle, 2 Choke, 1 Sylvan Library, 1 Natural order, 1 Progenitus, 2 Thoughtseize, 3 Abrupt Decay. I SB out 4 Glimpse of Nature, 3 Nettle Sentinels, 3 Heritage Druids, 1 Scavenging Ooze, 1 Craterhoof Behemoth.

I basically take out my entire glimpse package to play grindy.

Quote Originally Posted by danyul View Post

Hey Rob,

WRP is great against BUG. And Wilt Leaf Liege is definitely an excellent SB card to consider if your meta is filled with cards like that.

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate finishes this weekend. I also played in an event this weekend (52 players, 6 rounds + top 8). I made Top 8 (yay, and WRP won me 2 matches!) but that's neither here nor there. While at the event, I watched a couple other Elves players make a ton of mistakes by missing triggers, attacks, DRS activations, untaps, etc. They probably didn't even know they were making those mistakes, but as an observer I could tell they were game-losing mistakes, even though they seemed quite insignificant at the time.

That's the primary struggle with this deck. You may know all the interactions on the surface, or be able to identify them after the fact, but in the moment it is definitely difficult to stay on top of all the triggers and possible activations that the deck presents. Without having watched you play, it's impossible to know exactly where you were struggling. Perhaps you played perfectly and just got beat by superior draws? That happens. But knowing nothing other than your finishing record, I can only suggest that you play more deliberately and try to scan your board for possible interactions at all times. If possible, have a friend watch your matches and maybe that extra set of eyes will help you catch interactions you might have missed. I hope that doesn't sound too obvious.

Keep in mind that sometimes you will have cold streaks as a player. But the difference between a winner and a loser is a winner plays until he wins. And you can't snap a losing streak if you don't play. So I'm happy to hear that you are going to stick with the deck for awhile and I wish you the best of luck! Be sure to check out Julian's stream when you can. He always posts when he goes live.
    There is a possibility that I missed triggers or didn't mulligan correctly as I am relatively new to the deck. Against BUG, the two games I lost, I never had enough creatures on board to actually miss a trigger. I think I will see about trying to shoehorn a Wilt Leaf in there. I didn't get a chance to play against Miracles this weekend, but look forward to trying out WRP against it. I just need lots of practice before next month's tourney. Hooray MODO.

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

As Legacy Champs draws nearer over here in Philadelphia, I'm going to start posting more frequently my test results, sideboard plans, and general matchup analysis. While probably borderline useless to the elf veterans, hopefully it can save a few of you some trouble.

Matchup analysis:
    Elves vs Death and Taxes

Elves is highly favored preboard, highly favored to favored post board.

Current configuration:

3 Misty Rainforest
    3 Wooded Foothills
    2 Verdant Catacombs
    2 Forest
    2 Bayou
    1 Tropical Island
    4 Gaea’s Cradle
    2 Dryad Arbor
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    1 Llanowar Elves
    4 Quirion Ranger
    4 Nettle Sentinel
    3 Heritage Druid
    2 Birchlore Ranger
    4 Elvish Visionary
    4 Wirewood Symbiote
    2 Craterhoof Behemoth
    1 Reclamation Sage
    1 Wren’s Run Packmaster
    4 Green Sun’s Zenith
    4 Glimpse of Nature
    3 Natural Order

Sideboard:

1 Null Rod
    2 Thoughtseize
    3 Cabal Therapy
    2 Swan Song
    3 Abrupt Decay
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Natural Order
    1 Ruric Thar, the Unbowed
    1 Progenitus

How their deck works:
    Death and taxes primarily will attempt to attack mana development in any matchup, but their game plan is quite ineffective here. D&T will look to set up port/waste/thalia to keep opponents from developing meaningful board states while chipping away life totals through smaller disruptive creatures backed either with mother of runes and/or equipment. Hands without vial often have to choose between spending resources to hinder the opponent or lay a threat.

We are a turn 3 deck that isn't going to fold because natural order costs 5 or because a creature gets swords'd.

Preboard Overview:
    Between 5 mana dorks, 3 heritage, 2 birchlore and 4 GSZ for turn 1 arbor, we can develop our board faster than they can and a single cradle activation undoes turns of work on their end. The game usually ends turn 3 or 4 after glimpse or natural order resolve. Hands without either of these bombs might still be fine but you'll need symbiote + visionary or a naturally drawn Craterhoof since the 1/1 beatdown plan gets quickly outclassed on the ground. Reclamation sage does wonders in answering potential equipment situations, as well as Phyrexian revoker, Spirit of the Labyrinth, and to a lesser extent Aether Vial.

Aven mindcensor is the most backbreaking play they can make although fewer lists are running it. It turns off a primary win condition and flies to allow equipment to be useful. Mirran crusader blowouts are also a possibility.

As we are pretty favored here, we really want to focus on how we lose games and avoid those pitfalls. I'll cover my common losses later.

Cards they might bring in:

Rachet bomb
    Ethersworn cannonist
    Grafdigger's cage
    Council's judgement
    Spirit of the Labyrinth
    Holy Light
    Cataclysm

Boarding
    : -2 Nettle Sentinel, 2 Glimpse of Nature, 1 Craterhoof Behemoth (-1 heritage)|| + 3 Abrupt decay, 1 Natural Order, 1 Progenitus, 1 null rod
    Reasoning: Glimpse might be the worse of the engines in this matchup, partially because how strong Natural Order is and how we are adding dead draws mid-chain to compensate. Abrupt decay answers everything short of batterskull. I don't mind heritage druid in the matchup since I basically am only looking to produce 4 mana in the face of some number of ports/wastes. (It has been mentioned null rod might be a good addition that I've overlooked)

Postboard Overview:
    They will have more hateful permanents but are still completely at the mercy of your draw step. Reclamation Sage along with abrupt decay or wirewood symbiote will remove whatever they have standing in your way. The onus is on them to draw the right effects at the right time while we do not have an answer handy.

Progenitus is the main gameplan, followed by glimpse chains (for value or unlikely combo) and the long Reclamation Sage grind. Some lists have 2 council's judgement in the 75 however, so don't be afraid instead to just go for a non-lethal hoof swing to drop them within deathrite range for the next turn.

How we win:
    Generate board presence through their typically low disruption starts and end the game with the usual bomb. They have the option of disrupting us or pressuring us but cannot do both before the above happens.

How we lose:
    • Turn 1 Deathrite/GSZ off a fetched bayou meets swords and wasteland. AVOID THIS, especially if we are on the draw
    • Keeping a weak had that produces a lot of mana but nothing else and let them set up equipment.
    • A greedy natural order gets mindcensor'd
    • They present a lot of removal/disruption as we draw uncastable cards
    • Their hate piece coincides with our drawn method of winning (Cage > Natural Order/GSZ, Spirit > Draw engines)
    • All in on Progenitus meets their 2 of council's judgement

A special note:
    Protection from green via Mother of runes or Mirran crusader and Jitte/Sword of fire and ice can be played around. Morph Birchlore ranger, unmorph him and bounce him with symbiote. Especially in a 2 birchlore list, there is little excuse for equipment to connect without a flyer being present. if you are getting beaten frequently by this, consider changing GSZ priorities or mulliganing durdling hands that give D&T time to set up.
    Last edited by Tammit67; 08-27-2014 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Added cataclysm, ratchet bomb,null rod
    Matt Bevenour in real life

Zombie Elf Warrior
    Dec 2004
    seattle

Quote Originally Posted by LeoCop 90 View Post
    I don't think it is a good idea to dismiss progenitus/wurm from elves sideboard. I run both at the moment and wurm purpose is not to beat show and tell. That is an additional benefit, but wurm is just the win button against anything without swords to plowshares/terminus. When i face jund and bug i actually feel unfavoured post board if i don't have wurm because they bring in additional removal and they finally realized toxic deluge is a very good magic card. Having wurm turns the matchup around in my opinion because i know i just need to resolve natural order to win even if i don't have any other creature in play. Progenitus is still there against white decks, but it feels weaker now that council's judgement exists ... it still wins the game in most cases, but if i have to cut one of the two big beasts i would cut progenitus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
    My distinction is between StP decks and non-StP decks. Wurm is wonderful against Shardless and Jund as well (better than Prog at any rate because it's Edict and Deluge proof), for example, while being pretty bad against Miracles, D&T, Patriot, random Maverick decks and the like. So Plowshares or Deluge and Show and Tell, which do you want to beat?
    The STP/Jund/Shardless points are definitely more salient than my Show & Tell point. Well put. Jund and Shardless haven't been showing up much in my area so I forgot those were actual decks!

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    Edit: the game needs more antagonists anyways
    Agree!

Quote Originally Posted by MadRhetoric17 View Post

Sideboard
    1 Meekstone
    1 Null Rod
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Progenitus
    1 Natural Order
    1 Ruric Thar
    3 Abrupt Decay
    3 Thoughtseize
    2 Cabal Therapy

Questions to get opinions on:
    - For those playing null rod in the side, do you automatically bring it in against Stoneforge decks as well?
    - Any apparent holes in my SB strategy? I think I have most of the major decks covered but I may be missing something. I know I'm not running a dedicated anti-Sneak-and-Show card, but I just don't like the strategy hoping you have a singleton in hand at the time they resolve a Show and Tell. I think having discard with the rest of the deck streamlined for the quickest combo kill is a strategy more likely to succeed.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Looking forward to contributing more.
    Against EsperBlade I will bring in at least 1 Null Rod since those builds usually play Engineered Explosives and sometimes even Academy Ruins. Against Deathblade, they can't afford to run Academy Ruins/EE so I usually leave Null Rod in the board. Against UWR Delver I wouldn't bring in Null Rod but I sometimes bring in Pithing Needle for Grim Lavamancer. That way we can save Decays for Jitte/Delver.

Your SB looks fine to me. I think your gameplan VS Sneak & Show matches up with most of ours. That's how I approach the matchup too. If they have Leyline of No Discard, well, that sucks. At least we have Rec Sage now to mitigate that a bit. But I think that SB tech has fallen out of favor for most SneakyShow pilots. If they have it though, we are kinda screwed. That's just how that matchup goes. Zombie may have a few choice colorful words to say about it!

Quote Originally Posted by starfox444 View Post
    Played at GP Sydney legacy side events this weekend, coming 5th out of 81 on Friday and then 1st out of 24 on Saturday. I played against a lot of BUG decks in the swiss who I think sideboarded incorrectly after chatting with my opponents, so I had a nice time.

(...)

The meta I was expecting was a bit of all-in combo, some graveyard combo but no storm and near non-existent levels of burn. That means I took out my beloved null rods for surgical to overlap with miracles and reanimator. I expected sneak and show which I never had to play against but I spent the rest of the day playing against our good friends shardless BUG and esper stoneblade. I'm slowly getting less keen on progenitus but I haven't had to jam against swords to plowshares lately. Highlights of the weekend would have to be comboing off through a zealous persecution, dueling deathrite shamans with a BUG opponent leaving him tapped out with no mana to on board attack with all my creatures and finally making a total of 13 wolves in one game against a merfolk player.
    Congrats on your finish! Sounds like a fun weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by ESG View Post
    Now, to bring things back to strategy, how have people's results been vs. Miracles lately? Miracles has been expanding its presence in the Northwest, and it's had strong showings in the SCG Open Series for many months. How common is the deck where you play? There have been many ideas proposed in this thread (Bitterblossom, planeswalkers, Pithing Needle, Null Rod, blue splash, etc.), but, aside from Reclamation Sage and maybe Wren's Run Packmaster, I haven't seen a lot of reports on what is working well, what needs more testing, what is a dud, and what other options there are to explore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Duker99 View Post
    Has anyone tried bring in surgical extraction against the miracles match up? I am playing in the open this weekend and trying to figure out the best sideboard strategy against miracles since I see it a lot here in New Jersey. Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    I don't think it'll be really useful. First off, they'll have to get something relevant in their graveyard before you can try to cast/resolve it and second - it's CMC = 1 and it can be countered.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    I have tried Extraction. From memory I posted a 5 paragraph rant that can be summed up by simply saying "Its a trap".
    This makes me sad. I just picked up 2 set foil Surgicals! Since I have them, I might as well jam them at my weekly events and see how they do.

As for Miracles, I've moved to 2 Null Rod/2 P.Needle. I just always want to see them and the deck is getting more and more popular. The first Needle names Top. The second Needle names Jace. Then their deck becomes a pile of junk. I feel like we have to lean very heavily on those artifacts to make our post-board matchups salvagable. It's kinda cute to watch them flounder about with a dead Top though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tammit67 View Post
    As Legacy Champs draws nearer over here in Philadelphia, I'm going to start posting more frequently my test results, sideboard plans, and general matchup analysis. While probably borderline useless to the elf veterans, hopefully it can save a few of you some trouble.

Matchup analysis:
    Elves vs Death and Taxes

(...)
    I whole-heartedly approve of this (and agree with your analysis)! I'll add these to Julian's SB guide under the primer once I get some time away from work (if that's okay with you, of course).

Also, don't forget about Cataclysm. Around here most D&T pilots have 2x in the board. That card can wreck us as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    was greg mitchells hair ever on camera?
    Elves Discord Channel: https://discord.gg/2EVsdw2

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Surgical Extraction is better with discard, but it's still powerful in games where the Miracles player doesn't have a Sensei's Divining Top. In order to Terminus, the Miracles player either needs to topdeck it or play a Brainstorm to set it up. After the Brainstorm, you can pull the trigger and Extract Brainstorm to cause him to shuffle away Terminus. Alternatively, if you do get hit with a Terminus at some point, you can extract all three other copies. I don't think Extraction is necessarily better than something like Choke, but it's a real card.

Against Death and Taxes, I find that Sunlance is a more common sideboard card than Holy Light.

Interesting that you don't bring in Null Rod or Pithing Needle vs. D&T. I find them to be very useful in the matchup since even if you have Ranger/Arbor or Symbiote/Elf to stop Jitte, they can Revoker one of those to stop it. Postboard games often go longer because they can put a Canonist or Spirit into play to delay your draw/action. They also sometimes have stuff like Ratchet Bomb which Null Rod helps against. You can also Needle Wasteland and Port if those are giving you trouble.

What are your thoughts on not bringing them in?

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

I whole-heartedly approve of this (and agree with your analysis)! I'll add these to Julian's SB guide under the primer once I get some time away from work (if that's okay with you, of course).

Also, don't forget about Cataclysm. Around here most D&T pilots have 2x in the board. That card can wreck us as well.
    So last night in testing i was up against something like this:

13 White sources
    4 waste
    4 port

4 vial
    4 swords
    1 jitte
    1 batterskull
    1 SoFI

4 mother
    4 thalia
    4 revoker
    3 spirit
    3 serra avenger
    3 mirran crusader
    3 flickerwhisp
    4 stoneforge

He went -4 thalia, -2 avenger, -1 SoFI || + 2 cage, 2 council's judgement, + 2 cannonist, +1 path of exile or something. He had cataclysm but decided he'd rather leave the rest of the main intact

I dunno how great cataclysm is against us. They need dude plus equipment for it to take over a game and if it serves effectively as a board wipe, I've probably been able to bounce lands/creatures back to my hand or end the game in some other means. I feel like with a draw engine I'm going to have the resources to reboot my side of the field before they can.

I've yet to have it actually cast against me though, so you are probably right.

EDIT:
    Null rod versus D&T-
    I've found I already have answers to equipment aplenty with my current sideboard. I can certainly see arguing -1 heritage +1 null rod though. My original thoughts were that null rod doesn't do a whole lot against many of the cards I fear. It hits...

Aether vial- Meh, I already have speed on them. If they can deploy two creatures turn 3 it isn't going to break open the match. I'd rather have the heritage.

Ratchet bomb- I've yet to be maimed by one honestly. Maybe 2 for 1 or 3 for 2 but they were always on my terms after I've already accrued a large enough advantage to replay things. If they want to destroy their moms/vials in exchange for 2 elves, I'm often ok with it thanks to glimpse and visionary. Especially Ratchet bomb and not EE, I got a turn to alter my plays and they frequently have to spend the turn casting it (a turn they aren't porting me)

Jitte- Their ground assault is usually useless, Air support takes time they don't have. In order for them to get jitte active, they probably need turn 1 cage into SFM while hitting land drops. Abrupt decay has been good enough in dealing with these hands.

Perhaps being able to answer all of these cards warrants its inclusion where not 1 of them is important (in my eyes). If you find bringing in needle/rod is effective, don't change just because I failed to see the value in it.
    Last edited by Tammit67; 08-27-2014 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Null rod against D&T?

Against EsperBlade I will bring in at least 1 Null Rod since those builds usually play Engineered Explosives and sometimes even Academy Ruins. Against Deathblade, they can't afford to run Academy Ruins/EE so I usually leave Null Rod in the board. Against UWR Delver I wouldn't bring in Null Rod but I sometimes bring in Pithing Needle for Grim Lavamancer. That way we can save Decays for Jitte/Delver.

Your SB looks fine to me. I think your gameplan VS Sneak & Show matches up with most of ours. That's how I approach the matchup too. If they have Leyline of No Discard, well, that sucks. At least we have Rec Sage now to mitigate that a bit. But I think that SB tech has fallen out of favor for most SneakyShow pilots. If they have it though, we are kinda screwed. That's just how that matchup goes. Zombie may have a few choice colorful words to say about it!
    Thanks for your input, the UWR Delver matchup is the specific one I'm wondering about bringing in Null Rod. The only removal they would have for it is Council's Judgment post-board (assuming they don't bring in wear/tear as that would be stupid) which they probably can't afford wasting for fear of a Progenitus getting into play. And if it does hit play, unless they already have a creature equipped with Jitte/SoFI they have nothing scary in their deck. They're just not fast enough and don't have enough disruption and eventually we'll get off a Glimpse/NO they can't come back from. My thinking is that an early rod will get us the time needed to win, but it may be so bad as a topdeck after things have developed a bit that it isn't worth the risk. And with 3 Abrupt Decays, it simply may not be needed. But the only time I get to play really is at actual tournaments so I can't test it out over many matches. Just going to gather constructive feedback as much as I can.

Zombie Elf Warrior
    Dec 2004
    seattle

If UWR Delver is your primary concern, then I would favor Needle over Null Rod since it gives you the flexibility to hit equipment as well as Lavamancer. Unless you mean in addition to Needles?
    Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    was greg mitchells hair ever on camera?
    Elves Discord Channel: https://discord.gg/2EVsdw2

Jun 2007
    France

I do think that one copy of pithing needle should come in vs D&T, but the first target that comes to my mind is MoR. Decay-proof hatebears were involved in all my defeats against D&T if i remember correctly. Plus needle will almost never be dead against D&T, they have something like 5/6 relevant targets.

Sep 2013
    Under hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Streaming the Legacy DE with #Elves! Join us at http://twitch.tv/itsJulian ! #NewOverlayHype
    Hey man: Nice to see you streaming again. Shame they hosed your sound. (I think they must be using some kind of software to detect the public performance of copyrighted songs and so your sound gets muted.) LoR

If UWR Delver is your primary concern, then I would favor Needle over Null Rod since it gives you the flexibility to hit equipment as well as Lavamancer. Unless you mean in addition to Needles?
    I play 1 needle in the board, so my strategy against UWR would be:
    +3 Abupt Decay
    +2 Thoughtseize
    +1 Progenitus
    +1 Pithing Needle
    +1 Null Rod

-3 N. Sentinel
    -2 H. Druid
    -1 Glimpse
    -1 Craterhoof
    -1 Birchlore

Quote Originally Posted by Tammit67 View Post

Matchup analysis:
    Elves vs Death and Taxes

Current configuration:

3 Misty Rainforest
    3 Wooded Foothills
    2 Verdant Catacombs
    2 Forest
    2 Bayou
    1 Tropical Island
    4 Gaea’s Cradle
    2 Dryad Arbor
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    1 Llanowar Elves
    4 Quirion Ranger
    4 Nettle Sentinel
    3 Heritage Druid
    2 Birchlore Ranger
    4 Elvish Visionary
    4 Wirewood Symbiote
    2 Craterhoof Behemoth
    1 Reclamation Sage
    1 Wren’s Run Packmaster
    4 Green Sun’s Zenith
    4 Glimpse of Nature
    3 Natural Order

Sideboard:

1 Null Rod
    2 Thoughtseize
    3 Cabal Therapy
    2 Swan Song
    3 Abrupt Decay
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Natural Order
    1 Ruric Thar, the Unbowed
    1 Progenitus

How their deck works:
    Death and taxes primarily will attempt to attack mana development in any matchup, but their game plan is quite ineffective here. D&T will look to set up port/waste/thalia to keep opponents from developing meaningful board states while chipping away life totals through smaller disruptive creatures backed either with mother of runes and/or equipment. Hands without vial often have to choose between spending resources to hinder the opponent or lay a threat.

We are a turn 3 deck that isn't going to fold because natural order costs 5 or because a creature gets swords'd.

Preboard Overview:
    Between 5 mana dorks, 3 heritage, 2 birchlore and 4 GSZ for turn 1 arbor, we can develop our board faster than they can and a single cradle activation undoes turns of work on their end. The game usually ends turn 3 or 4 after glimpse or natural order resolve. Hands without either of these bombs might still be fine but you'll need symbiote + visionary or a naturally drawn Craterhoof since the 1/1 beatdown plan gets quickly outclassed on the ground. Reclamation sage does wonders in answering potential equipment situations, as well as Phyrexian revoker, Spirit of the Labyrinth, and to a lesser extent Aether Vial.

Aven mindcensor is the most backbreaking play they can make although fewer lists are running it. It turns off a primary win condition and flies to allow equipment to be useful. Mirran crusader blowouts are also a possibility.

As we are pretty favored here, we really want to focus on how we lose games and avoid those pitfalls. I'll cover my common losses later.

Cards they might bring in:

Rachet bomb
    Ethersworn cannonist
    Grafdigger's cage
    Council's judgement
    Spirit of the Labyrinth
    Holy Light
    Cataclysm

Boarding
    : -2 Nettle Sentinel, 2 Glimpse of Nature, 1 Craterhoof Behemoth (-1 heritage)|| + 3 Abrupt decay, 1 Natural Order, 1 Progenitus, 1 null rod
    Reasoning: Glimpse might be the worse of the engines in this matchup, partially because how strong Natural Order is and how we are adding dead draws mid-chain to compensate. Abrupt decay answers everything short of batterskull. I don't mind heritage druid in the matchup since I basically am only looking to produce 4 mana in the face of some number of ports/wastes. (It has been mentioned null rod might be a good addition that I've overlooked)

Postboard Overview:
    They will have more hateful permanents but are still completely at the mercy of your draw step. Reclamation Sage along with abrupt decay or wirewood symbiote will remove whatever they have standing in your way. The onus is on them to draw the right effects at the right time while we do not have an answer handy.

Progenitus is the main gameplan, followed by glimpse chains (for value or unlikely combo) and the long Reclamation Sage grind. Some lists have 2 council's judgement in the 75 however, so don't be afraid instead to just go for a non-lethal hoof swing to drop them within deathrite range for the next turn.

How we win:
    Generate board presence through their typically low disruption starts and end the game with the usual bomb. They have the option of disrupting us or pressuring us but cannot do both before the above happens.

How we lose:
    • Turn 1 Deathrite/GSZ off a fetched bayou meets swords and wasteland. AVOID THIS, especially if we are on the draw
    • Keeping a weak had that produces a lot of mana but nothing else and let them set up equipment.
    • A greedy natural order gets mindcensor'd
    • They present a lot of removal/disruption as we draw uncastable cards
    • Their hate piece coincides with our drawn method of winning (Cage > Natural Order/GSZ, Spirit > Draw engines)
    • All in on Progenitus meets their 2 of council's judgement

A special note:
    Protection from green via Mother of runes or Mirran crusader and Jitte/Sword of fire and ice can be played around. Morph Birchlore ranger, unmorph him and bounce him with symbiote. Especially in a 2 birchlore list, there is little excuse for equipment to connect without a flyer being present. if you are getting beaten frequently by this, consider changing GSZ priorities or mulliganing durdling hands that give D&T time to set up.
    This Is great... I look forward to reading these in the future... I play 20 lands in my deck but was thinking to cutting to 19. Have you had any issues with you mana pool at 19?

This Is great... I look forward to reading these in the future... I play 20 lands in my deck but was thinking to cutting to 19. Have you had any issues with you mana pool at 19?
    I'm also interested to see how people playing 19 lands feel about their mana bases. I'm considering sticking with 20 but siding one out for matches that go long such as miracles. Not sure how sound that theory is though as I haven't had a chance to test it.

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

None really but if you like 20, more power to you.

Matchup Analysis
    Elves vs AnT/TES

Elves is highly unfavored preboard, unfavored (to even?) postboard

Current configuration
    Same as previous.

How AnT/TES work: they are looking to cast 10+ spells in the same turn, sometimes backed by discard to clear the way. We don't have a meaningful way of interacting with them preboard outside of graveyard management and racing and unfortunately, we are a turn slower on average.

Preboard overview: TES is certainly a worse matchup than AnT. TES rarely cares about its graveyard and also is a little faster. Don't expect to get to turn 3 often against TES. You can identify TES byt eh rainbow manabase and lack of basics. Multiple chrome mox, paired with burning wish and rite of flame are also telling. If your opponent is named Bryant Cook, you might also assume TES.

AnT on the other hand can be slowed down (albeit slightly) with deathrite shaman and scavenging ooze if you run ooze. Natural order into Ruric Thar, the Unbowed or a hoof kill are the avenues of victory we are looking for. AnT has terrible Ad Nauseum flips despite it being the name of the damn deck and will attempt to either chain infernal tutors into tendrils of agony or past in flames into tendrils. If you have a chance outside of them bricking for 5 turns, it is going to be off the back of a quick combo or deathrite preventing threshold'd cabal ritual and past in flames.

Cabal ritual alone isn't enough to distinguish between the two storm variants anymore, but if you see 3+ cabal rituals and/or basics and/or grim tutor, it isn't TES.

Hide the splash you are playing. If you are splashing white they will certainly bring in bounce, same with red. Not fetching Tropical Island will hide possible swan songs. Mindbreak trap/thorn of amethyst/surgical extraction might already be on their mind during boarding, no need to give them a better clue.

Similarly to the Death and Taxes matchup, one side is pretty heavily favored. It is less about how tight elves is playing and more about how well the opponent is playing and with which decisions they follow through.

Cards they board:

Chain of Vapor
    Grapeshot (Burning wish)
    Void snare (Burning wish)
    Slaughter pact
    Abrupt Decay

Boarding:: -4 elvish visionary , 3 wirewood symbiote, 1 wren's run packmaster, 1 reclamation sage, 1 craterhoof behemoth, (1 Glimpse of Nature against AnT if I'm on the play) || + 1 Null rod, 2 thoughtseize, 3 cabal therapy, 2 swan song, 1 natural order, 1 Ruric Thar, (1 Scavenging ooze if I'm on the play)
    Reasoning: If I'm going to win, it is going to be through speed, not some grinding gameplan. Go up to the full set of natural orders to help get Ruric Thar down. Hands without some form of disruption aren't keepable. Scavenging ooze is useful against the GY reliant AnT deck but often too slow if I can't power him out on the play. AnT also almost universally only runs a single copy of tendrils as the win condition, so removing it with deathrite would be game over. Remember Birchlore can give you blue mana and you don't always have to optimize your attack in order to bluff having one (But if it is going to give them an extra turn by doing so, probably not worth it). Surgical extraction is useful once again against AnT but not TES.

Note: Not everyone has this much stuff to bring in, but identifying what cards to take out is a matter of determining how the game is going to progress. "Faster games don't need Visionary, longer games aren't as reliant on heritage combo" is basically what I've been doing after looking over Julian's SB'ing from his victory over at the BoM(Link here).

Postboard Overview
    : Since Elves has been running some form of hateful permanent since Gaddock Teeg, some form of antihate is usually finding its way in for the storm pilot and it is probably chain of vapor. Leaving fetchlands uncracked is useful to hiding a blue splash, but be careful! Older TES lists ran silence, so if you try to fetch in response to a spell to swan song and get silence'd, you are screwed.

Mulligan aggressively and look to survive until turn 3. Postboard games are a lot about how much disruption you are packing and can present in a timely manner and hands that do not provide heavily in speed or disruption are suspect. Thankfully, the disruption is usually really effective at letting us chain into more disruption or a win condition.

I figure these first two are really cut and dry. Looking to move on to Delver variants which will probably generate far more talk.

How far do you mulligan to get discard/hate? If you suspect that a piece of hate will delay them by, say, 1-2 turns, do you expect that mulling to hate will delay you less than that? If I have a turn 3 kill hand, or a hand with a strong possibility of NO on turn 3, I generally won't mulligan the hand. Postboard I don't expect ANT/TES to try to go off blind, respecting Mindbreak/Surgical, and we're on the play. I'm curious as to your thoughts on post-board mulligans.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by shopshopshop View Post
    How far do you mulligan to get discard/hate? If you suspect that a piece of hate will delay them by, say, 1-2 turns, do you expect that mulling to hate will delay you less than that? If I have a turn 3 kill hand, or a hand with a strong possibility of NO on turn 3, I generally won't mulligan the hand. Postboard I don't expect ANT/TES to try to go off blind, respecting Mindbreak/Surgical, and we're on the play. I'm curious as to your thoughts on post-board mulligans.
    Who gives a fuck about Surgical and MBT? If you fear to go all-in against some SB 1-offs/2-offs, storm isn't for you. The Main problem you have is that the first discard Spell hits your NO or Glimpse and they get rid of your MBT/Surgical when it matters.
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    Who gives a fuck about Surgical and MBT? If you fear to go all-in against some SB 1-offs/2-offs, storm isn't for you. The Main problem you have is that the first discard Spell hits your NO or Glimpse and they get rid of your MBT/Surgical when it matters.
    MBT and Surgical certainly aren't great concerns for storm but sometimes other conditions force storm to play into them or a bad pilot doesn't consider them and you snatch a game. I don't recommend boarding exclusively storm hate like mindbreak trap but if I had extractions and was facing an AnT opponent, I'm sure i could find a card in the main that is less useful.

If storm has a turn 1 hand, I fully expect them to take it and it wouldn't be wrong.

20 Lands actually is pretty important against Delver match ups where you have to contend with tax counters like Daze and Spell Pierce along with Stifle and Wasteland. You also want enough fetch lands to have enough Deathrite Shaman food.

I am considering a second Reclamation Sage in the sideboard. There are lots of things it deals with and a second one is nice if the first one dies or you don't draw a Wirewood.

Also considering running a Worldspine Wurm sideboard for fair match ups that don't run Swords to Plowshares/Path to Exile.

@Lefeux
    Keep playing elves and practicing. You faced some pretty bad match ups. Infect and Storm are not in our favor. If Storm is popular you might want some Mindbreak Traps in the sideboard. Generally don't fetch non basics against wasteland decks until you got at least one forest and will get at least once use out of the non-basic. Wilt-Leaf Liege may be worth running if there is a large amount of decks running Hymm to Torach in your area. If you keep running into Toxic Deluge you might want Worldspine Worm sideboard to Natural Order for.

@MadRhetoric17
    Congratulations on winning the IQ. I also like the second Birchlore since I run Ruric Thar main and it has helped me cast Swan Song. I really like the blue splash for Swan Song because having a counter rather then relying on only discard deals with spells they draw or brainstorm/ponder/sensei's top to get to. Swan Song counters everything you care about in Sneak and Show both Show and Tell/Sneak Attack as well as their counterspells. I ran 1 Null Rod/1 Needle for awhile and I would bring both in against Stoneforge decks. I went back to 2 Needle because Null Rod being a turn 2 play instead of turn 1 against Miracles is a huge deal and Pithing Needle hits things like planeswalkers and Wasteland.

UWR Delver I actually prefer Pithing Needle because you can also name Grim Lavamancer or Izzet Staticaster both of which are really bad news.

@ESG
    Miracles is one of the tougher match ups. I been running a blue splash since Spell Pierce was in print and Swan Song was a straight up upgrade. Blue Splash is really good here being able to counter their Counterbalance or Terminus.
    I literally board in most of my side board against miracles.
    3 Abrupt Decay, 3 Swan Song, 2 Pithing Needle, Natural Order, Progenitus, 3-4 Thought Seize
    Abrupt Decay is necessary to kill Counterbalance if resolved.
    Pithing Needle is crucial for disabling Sensei's Diving Top. Pithing Needle is preferable then Null Rod in the Miracles match up because you can play it on turn 1 before they get a turn or right after they play their Top you don't want to wait till turn 2 when they can have Spell Pierce, Counterspell or even counterbalance in play. Your second Pithing Needle should name Jace to stop their card advantage engine.
    Swan Song is key because it can counter their counterspells, terminus and counterbalance. Discard is less effective because they might be floating spells via Top and have Brainstorm
    Thoughtseize takes their counters or mass removal.
    Strongly considering a 2nd Reclamation Sage in the board. Not sure what to cut though.

@Darthobiwan
    Let know how that goes with the 2nd Reclamation Sage. I might try that myself.

@Duker99
    I don't like Surgical Extraction because you really need discard for it to be effective and they may brainstorm in response or float spells on top with Top.

@AznSeal
    How has Sylvan Library been for you? Seems like it would be good in matches where the games go longer like Delver or Miracles. Also how you been liking Choke? Losset's Miracle build I think has Mystic Gate, 2 Plains, a Mountain and 2 Karakas that Choke doesn't lock down but it seems really good.

@Tammit67
    I like what you are doing with listing match ups and board plans. I have done board plans for most match ups I play I will add more explanations to them as well. My board is simialr to yours as I run a blue splash for Swan Song but I run both Scavenging Ooze and Ruric Thar main deck a result of having several Burn, Dredge and Storm in my local meta. Our local Death and Taxes player runs 3 Aven Mindcensor main deck so have to be very careful about casting Green Sun's Zenith or Natural Order. Needle/Null Rod is pretty key against Death and Taxes to turn off their Vial so they have to play fair and cast their creatures so they aren't porting your land and it deals with Jitte which is bad news. I agree storm is a bad match up. Hopefully you can slow them down with discard or swan song to natural order for Ruric Thar is my plan in that match up but you are a turn slower then them usually and they have their own discard.

@Shopshopshop
    I bring in 3 Abrupt Decay, 1 Natural Order, 2 Pithing Needle, 1 Progenitus against Death and Taxes.

Thread Information