Page 371 of 382 FirstFirst ... 271321361367368369370371372373374375381 ... LastLast
Results 7,401 to 7,420 of 7635

Thread: [Primer] Elves!

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Re: [Primer] Elves!

Elderscale Wurm does give you some time, but usually only several turns until it dies to Tabernacle. It doesn't really change anything about the games that lands has in lockdown as they will quickly Ghost Quarter you out. The thing it does actually help against are those pesky turn2 Marit Lages, which are quite ressource-intensive for Lands as they lose 2 Land drops, often giving you some time to recover. In a standard, straight forward game I do prefer Progenitus though.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

I bring in both and NO for whichever is better at the time. :)
    Basically if they have 4 lands and the potential to rotate into marit lage, I get wurm-- if not, I get progenitus.

I feel like the games where they get to tee off with their prison lock are few and far between. Maybe I am just lucky vs lands...but I play against it on average once per event so I don't think that's the case. The matchup feels very even to me, and experience gives a large edge.

edit: story time...I actually employed that exact strategy once and this lands player had a 1-of ancient tomb to search up (spicy!) so he was able to catch me slippin with progenitus to his marit lage. spoiler alert..marit lage wins that fight

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Elderscale Wurm does give you some time, but usually only several turns until it dies to Tabernacle. It doesn't really change anything about the games that lands has in lockdown as they will quickly Ghost Quarter you out. The thing it does actually help against are those pesky turn2 Marit Lages, which are quite ressource-intensive for Lands as they lose 2 Land drops, often giving you some time to recover. In a standard, straight forward game I do prefer Progenitus though.
    Is Rurir Thar the worst idea that ever has or ever will be?
    I would think that given they'll need to Lage almost immediately after that that he's probably a good 6-12 damage straight. I guess that isn't very good then though compared to hoof
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestalim View Post
    Wrong. Gideon Emblem protect you from losing and you can even open your binder and slam some cards on the board, not even the HJ can DQ you now.

I think if you have ruric main you can steal a game w/him. And generally speaking, ruric is good vs lands assuming they don't have the win on the table. The deck is only spells and lands...and they can TECHNICALLY win with only casting 2-3 spells, but it's unlikely.

shutting down loam is pretty huge assuming it's a very early NO before they have depths on the table--and even then you can technically use ruric to chump marit lage a turn and attempt a combo turn.. :)

May 2016
    Maine

Quote Originally Posted by Shagstaman View Post
    I have a solid winning record vs lands (likely close to 70~%) so I'll share what I know about the matchup.

4. try to stay above 20 life if at all possible. Don't let them "turbo" depths you if it can be avoided by not fetching aggressively. Turn the guys they p.fired into 1 and 2-life cushions vs marit lage.

5. B-E-Aggressive. Go for the fastest combo possible before they have time to loam into grove/p.fire. They may have crop rot for chasm--but that's OK...because that means you still have a nice board state and they don't have a marit lage. :)

There's a lot of more smaller, nuanced things...but these are the keys to beating lands IMO.
    These last two are huge. If they are making a marit leige token early they will typically be using all of their resources to do so- this will give us a one turn window to go balls-to-the-wall and kill them.

I have a few friends who play lands, and have also tested quite a bit, and although my win % vs them is definitely lower, I very quickly learned that they are as worried about us as we are of them. Make them have it, be aggressive- they will typically win the game if we give then enough space to start casting multiple punishing fires, resolving a couple loams, and playing a couple wastelands every turn. Deathrite and the utility slots are good to deny their resources temporarily, but they will eventually get overpowered if we rely on them too heavily.

Sep 2013
    Under hill.

Quote Originally Posted by henweigh View Post
    How are you all dealing with R/G lands? This match-up has been a real drag for me. Yes, Deathrite Shaman and Scavenging Ooze help, as does Surgical Extraction. But, I've lost the last 8 of 9 matches to them and was quite lucky to win the one match.

It's like fighting a spider; it attacks from multiple angles, ensnaring us at every turn. They have the (at times excruciatingly fast) Dark Depths/Thespian's Stage combo that sends a flying, indestructible 20/20 tentacled avatar at us. They wreck our creature base with an ever-repeating Punishing Fire/Grove of the Burnwillows romance or a singular (easily-found) Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale (in the latter case, it encumbers our mana advantage). They make our attacks useless with Glacial Chasm or slow our attacks down with Maze of Ith. And they are getting the resources they need from their library (Crop Rotation and Gamble), they are getting the resources they need from their graveyard (Life from the Loam), and they are putting lots of cards onto the battlefield (Manabond and Exploration.) Lands even has the audacity to attack our lands with Wasteland, Rishadan Port, and Ghost Quarter.

Has anyone found an effective strategy against this compelling foe?
    From my perspective, THIS ^^

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Shagstaman View Post
    --and even then you can technically use ruric to chump marit lage a turn and attempt a combo turn.. :)
    lol! I forgot he had reach. What a house.

EDIT: on lands. Yeah sometimes they'll have the nuts and be like "Mox Diamond, Exploration, Grove, Waste, Pfire your guy, waste your land.... Go." But my experience is that it's actually not that common for them to successfully get Pfire going if you're doing anything to them. Cradle, for instance, is an exact counter to Tabernacle. And if you're running any Crops, bring them and a Bog in. Screw up their engine.

But the main thing I was going to say is that Wirewood Symbiote is probably pretty ok for buying you a turn and would combo magnificently with Eladamri (though I know people don't run him.) Normally when I fight lands in other decks I'm looking to screw with their manabase since they aren't used to it. They're too busy controlling you to notice that they can be crimped off a color if you wax their Diamond. Totally different playing style and it may not work for this deck, but I normally just play chicken with them. They can't Pfire you without double R, (grove + something) so if you can pop the diamond you effectively doubled your dude-count.

A Vizier or WRP would also work, since they can't be easily killed and will get the game under control.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestalim View Post
    Wrong. Gideon Emblem protect you from losing and you can even open your binder and slam some cards on the board, not even the HJ can DQ you now.

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Hey hey! I just won today's Legacy Challenge on MTGO with this:

[IMG]http://itsjulian.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/WinChall.png

R1 vs Grixis Delver, 1-2 LOSS
    R2 vs ANT, 2-0 WIN
    R3 vs Tin Fins, 2-1 WIN
    R4 vs Shardless BUG, 2-1 WIN
    R5 vs BUG Delver, 2-1 WIN
    R6 vs Miracles, 2-0 WIN
    Quarterfinals vs Turbo Depths, 2-0 WIN
    Semifinals vs Food Chain, 2-1 WIN
    Finals vs Dragon Stompy, 2-1 WIN

Videos are already up on my Patreon and will be available to everyone next week. Had a real blast playing tonight, especially since I didn't really get to play a lot this week. Great times! :-)

My list it's pretty closer to yours, this is what I'm running atm

Im curious about the low count on surgicals, don't you think we need more answers to BR Reanimator?
    In paper mtg I'm facing it pretty often, and upping the surgicals has been really helpful so far.
    I'm also currently running a mana dork because the meta feels too DRS oriented, and sometimes I feel that a reliable dork is needed to ensure we don't get destroyed by denial.
    I'm also running ruric thar, but not the taiga, it hasn't been an issue so far, still unsure if I should run it or if it's a wasted slot
    "You either die a Onesto-Player, or live long enough to see yourself become a Dredger"

Feb 2014

Quote Originally Posted by LeoCop 90 View Post
    Well, sideboard blood moon if you fear lands. it has already been done in elves, and they won't bring in enchantment hate in the blind.
    They will. Elves often runs pithing needle, so they will bring in some copies of k-grip.
    If you lurk a bit in the lands topic, you'll see that they almost systematically bring in a few copies.

That being said, blood moon is an excellent card against them. Ruric, however, is not great. If they have chasm out, you're the one that risk to be locked by him.
    The best things against lands in my experience are good gy hate, the crop package, and elderscale.

Zombie Elf Warrior
    Dec 2004
    seattle

I'm a creeper and I noticed the Miracles dudes started a Discord channel to discuss their new baby's rebirth. They are having some really great discussion in there and I feel like I'm behind enemy lines. I gotta keep an eye on what they're up to, ya know?

I asked a few pages back about the existence of an Elves Discord channel and I guess there isn't one.

So I made a room! https://discord.gg/2EVsdw2

I'm not sure what kind of discussion we can have since our list is like 56/60 set in stone. But feel free to jump in and chat it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    was greg mitchells hair ever on camera?
    Elves Discord Channel: https://discord.gg/2EVsdw2

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Hey guys, sorry if the image is super huge on here!

I got my natural orders about a year ago off of Pucatrade. After the deck was complete, I got an email from an admin saying that it's possible one of the ones I received was a fake. Unfortunately I had shuffled them and wasn't sure which one came from that user. The only noticeable difference between 1 and the other 3 was this weird white dotted border.

I don't feel comfortable playing with possibly fake cards, so I went ahead and ordered a 5th one off of MKM. It came in this week, and it also has a dotted white border. (Any other elves players can probably check their card and not see this, unless if it's more common than I imagine.

Can anyone here help me get to the bottom of this? Is this an indication of a fake card?

Thanks!

http://i68.tinypic.com/vsgbw7.jpg
    Last edited by mistercakes; 05-31-2017 at 06:57 PM.
    -rob

Zombie Elf Warrior
    Dec 2004
    seattle

Two things:

1) The Elves Discord channel sees more action than this thread at the moment. If you want timely responses, I recommend clicking over and saying hi.

2) IRT to the post above, that picture is massive and isn't loading properly on some folks' devices. I recommend resizing it to be less insanely huge and also taking that inquiry over to the pimp thread. I have no idea how to tell what's real these days. I just stick to foils to be safe /humblebrags

Dec 2016
    Seattle

It might be better to post a link to the image instead of embedding the image.

Here's an article with some discussion on fake Natural Orders from Visions.

Does it pass the light test, and does the texture of the card feel waxy or gritty compared to another magic card you know is real?
    I like playing tribal: Elves | Goblins | Enchantments

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Just edited so the URL is available to click on. I've checked the light test, and am using a loupe as well. Everything other than that border seems fine.

The feel isn't waxy (I have seen /felt some of those waxy fakes before and this has a consistency similar to the other natural orders.)

I also checked that article earlier before posting originally, spelling and text boxes are also consistent with others that I have that I am confident are real. It's this white dotted line at the border.
    -rob

Dec 2016
    Seattle

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    It's this white dotted line at the border.
    I just checked my Visions Natural Orders. One of them has the white dotted line at the border.
    I like playing tribal: Elves | Goblins | Enchantments

Hey there, first time posting in this page, but I've been checking it out for awhile. I'm going to a GPT at a LGS on Friday. I'm expecting more people than the usual crowd, so basically I'm a slightly different meta. Thoughts on the deck? I know it needs cuts, I was just putting ideas together and left it as is

Counts : 65 main / 15 sideboard
    Creatures:34
    2 Dryad Arbor
    2 Birchlore Rangers
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Heritage Druid
    4 Nettle Sentinel
    4 Quirion Ranger
    4 Wirewood Symbiote
    4 Elvish Visionary
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Leovold, Emissary of Trest
    1 Reclamation Sage
    1 Shaman of the Pack
    2 Craterhoof Behemoth

Spells:12
    4 Glimpse of Nature
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Natural Order

Lands:19
    2 Bayou
    2 Forest
    4 Gaea's Cradle
    1 Taiga
    2 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Windswept Heath
    4 Wooded Foothills

Sideboard:15
    1 Reclamation Sage
    1 Ruric Thar, the Unbowed
    1 Progenitus
    2 Cabal Therapy
    2 Pithing Needle
    2 Surgical Extraction
    3 Thoughtseize
    3 Abrupt Decay

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Quote Originally Posted by 16km View Post
    I just checked my Visions Natural Orders. One of them has the white dotted line at the border.
    Oh good! Then it means that wizard's just had a really bad QA during visions print run.

Thanks!
    -rob

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Not only Visions. Most of the sets released in the 90s had more variance in coloring etc. I know for Visions for example, there's "bright" and "dark" versions of a lot of cards.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Zombie Elf Warrior
    Dec 2004
    seattle

Quote Originally Posted by quikaxe View Post
    Hey there, first time posting in this page, but I've been checking it out for awhile. I'm going to a GPT at a LGS on Friday. I'm expecting more people than the usual crowd, so basically I'm a slightly different meta. Thoughts on the deck? I know it needs cuts, I was just putting ideas together and left it as is

2 Dryad Arbor
    2 Birchlore Rangers
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Heritage Druid
    4 Nettle Sentinel
    4 Quirion Ranger
    4 Wirewood Symbiote
    4 Elvish Visionary
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Reclamation Sage
    1 Shaman of the Pack
    2 Craterhoof Behemoth

4 Glimpse of Nature
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Natural Order

2 Bayou
    2 Forest
    4 Gaea's Cradle
    1 Taiga
    2 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Windswept Heath
    4 Wooded Foothills

1 Reclamation Sage
    1 Progenitus
    2 Cabal Therapy
    2 Pithing Needle
    2 Surgical Extraction
    3 Thoughtseize
    3 Abrupt Decay

Take this with a grain of salt as these are just my personal preferences.

Cut from main:
    2 Fetchlands
    1 Leovold
    1 Shaman of the Pack
    1 Birchlore Ranger or Heritage Druid

Cut from side:
    2 Pithing Needle + 1 Reclamation Sage
    Replace with:
    1 Null Rod + 1 Meekstone + 1 Surgical Extraction

Quote Originally Posted by quikaxe View Post

2 Dryad Arbor
    2 Birchlore Rangers
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Heritage Druid
    4 Nettle Sentinel
    4 Quirion Ranger
    4 Wirewood Symbiote
    4 Elvish Visionary
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Reclamation Sage
    1 Shaman of the Pack
    2 Craterhoof Behemoth

4 Glimpse of Nature
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Natural Order

2 Bayou
    2 Forest
    4 Gaea's Cradle
    1 Taiga
    2 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Windswept Heath
    4 Wooded Foothills

1 Reclamation Sage
    1 Progenitus
    2 Cabal Therapy
    2 Pithing Needle
    2 Surgical Extraction
    3 Thoughtseize
    3 Abrupt Decay

mmm
    So you play Leovold MD without Tropical island but with Taiga for Ruric-Thar in your sideboard
    Special Forces Combo Elves

Thread Information