Page 381 of 382 FirstFirst ... 281331371377378379380381382 LastLast
Results 7,601 to 7,620 of 7635

Thread: [Primer] Elves!

Long Live Maverick
    Dec 2012
    Kennesaw, GA, USA

Re: [Primer] Elves!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    Elves just won the biggest tournament after the bannings so far, MKM Prague with 227 players, piloted by Linus Valdemarsson. The list:

// Sideboard
    SB: 1 Elderscale Wurm
    SB: 1 Sylvan Library
    SB: 1 Faerie Macabre
    SB: 3 Surgical Extraction
    SB: 2 Choke
    SB: 3 Abrupt Decay
    SB: 4 Thoughtseize
    Solid list. No frills.
    Sideboard seems pretty straightforward too - lot of redundancy and aligns pretty well with the top 10 decks of the event.

21 R/U/G Delver
    18 Death and Taxes
    16 Stoneblade
    16 Miracles
    15 Reanimator
    13 Sneak and Show
    11 Storm
    10 Elves
    9 Lands
    8 Grixis Control
    Tusk up.
    (Not so) Current Decks: GB Elves, GW Maverick, GWb Maverick, LED Dredge, ANT, TES, Jund Storm.

I have to promise this, that I had never played Elves before. I finally was able to download MTGO and chose Elves because it’s rather cheap, and I’ve always liked the deck. I played 3 games last night against a friend who was running Pox. Entered my first Legacy League this morning and went 4-1 😝.

Lost 1-2 against Omnishow. Lost game 1 on turn 2. Game 2 he show and telled turn 2 and put in Emrakul. I went off turn 3 and he scooped, he went off turn 2 after FoW my turn 1 Thoughtseize.

Beat BG Turbo Depths 2-0. Went off game 1. Managed to top deck a Karakas game 2 to win.

Beat burn 2-1. Mulled to 5 game 1 and he barely got there. I steam rolled him games 2 and 3.

Beat a UB? Control deck 2-0. Not sure what he was doing, only saw fatal pushes, a strix, and a hymn.

Beat UW Control 2-1. He locked me out game 1. Games 2 and 3 just had me laying down threats after threats and wasn’t able to find Terminus.

Ran this list...

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetyp...s-53840#online

Nice job!

Join us on discord for more active conversations https://discord.gg/yc2TeT5

Jun 2016
    Spain

Quote Originally Posted by Rebelwithapen216 View Post
    Nice job!
    Join us on discord for more active conversations https://discord.gg/yc2TeT5
    I'll say it again that I'm really bummed everybody migrated to Discord. It might be a fine place to chat and shoot the breeze, but it's useless for searching past conversations or learning anything that happened over a day ago.

Oct 2012
    shanghai, china

Quote Originally Posted by Doneval View Post
    I'll say it again that I'm really bummed everybody migrated to Discord. It might be a fine place to chat and shoot the breeze, but it's useless for searching past conversations or learning anything that happened over a day ago.
    Yes, I feel so.
    Unfortunately 'the source' doesn't fit mobile phones well, now a days very few people like to sit in front of PCs to talk,
    I guess that is why discord prevails.

Feb 2014

Idem here, I much prefer forums than discord talks. I felt disappointed that this thread almost died.

Zombie Elf Warrior
    Dec 2004
    seattle

There is a search function on Discord that allows you to look up phrases, post by user, and all that sort of thing. So you can definitely get in there and find information. But I agree that the user experience on the forums vs Discord is much different. Alas, the times are a-changing.
    Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    was greg mitchells hair ever on camera?
    Elves Discord Channel: https://discord.gg/2EVsdw2

Aug 2016
    Charlotte, NC

Has anyone tried Beast Whisperer yet? I haven't had a chance to play in the last few weeks and I was thinking of trying one next weekend in an Eternal Weekend Trial as a GSZ target for extra Glimpse effects.

Sam S
    Dec 2011
    Newmarket, ON

Quote Originally Posted by RobNC View Post
    Has anyone tried Beast Whisperer yet? I haven't had a chance to play in the last few weeks and I was thinking of trying one next weekend in an Eternal Weekend Trial as a GSZ target for extra Glimpse effects.
    Looks cool, I'm willing to give it a try.

A brief report of a 37 player tournament in Paris, France.

First, I'd like to thank the large and joyful Legacy community of Paris.
    We have several weekly tournaments and especially one gathers at least 25 players each tuesday.
    It's a chance, really.

I chose to pick Elves for this tournament, even if I had not played it since the ban of DRS.
    I wanted to try a fast combo list (4 copies of NO, 4 nettle, 3 Heritage and 3 birchlore) with a small toolbox : scavenging ooze and 2 rec sage.
    The main reason why 2 rec sage : a lot of chalice decks here in Paris.
    Also I've hesitated between Progenitus and Ruric for the sideboard option.
    Finally I chose Ruric.

Round 1 : Grixis Delver, OTP, 2-0, 1-0

Martin is a friend, I know his deck, he knows mine.
    I start with a so-so hand (llanowar elves with pendelhaven). He wastes Pendel, seems ok for me, he is a little bit out of tempo.
    I play a glimpse, he fows, 1 nettle then a second join the battlefield. I will see no other land than the Cradle that I had in my opening hand but it's enough to smash my little green companions.
    Gurmag and Young Pyro are too few to compete and he dies.

For the second game a fast and big glimpse helps me win turn 4 or 5.

Round 2 : Omnitell, OTP, 1-2, 1-1

Pretty hard match up. I lose G1 because I'm slow and he is less.
    I win G2 during a big glimpse, I play a Thoughtseize, he flusters, I play a choke, he is locked.
    I lose G3 because he topdecks an Omniscience and a Show and Tell after I discarded his combo cards. That's life.

Round 3 : Burn, OTP, 2-0, 2-1

Easy matchup, even after a mulligan.
    G1 he plays the aggro plan with Goblin Guide. I play the grinding plan with visionary and symbiote.
    I'm dead next turn when, on my turn 3, I start a endless glimpse ftw.

G2 I NO into Ruric and he can't kill it.

Round 4 : Goblins, OTD, 2-0, 3-1

G1 : no memory.
    G2 : lackey T1, Gempalm on my elf, I start to think that I've lost but I see his hand with a thougtseize and he has no other land, too bad.

Round 5 : Zombardment, OTD, 2-1, 4-1

I need to win for the top8 so let's go.
    He is about to win G1 but he doesn't sacrifice all his creatures to carrion feeder because he thought I was higher in life.
    Next turn I fetch for Ooze and win few turns later.

G2 he rips my hand apart with Cabal Therapy (I had 2 glimpses and 2 NOs) and finishes me with 2 Vengevines.
    The G3 starts the same way except that when I'm about to die I draw Ooze. Thanks a lot, Lord of Topdecks.

12 points, 4th at the ranking. I satisfied with the deck except for the several mulligans.
    The room is full of fair decks, that's good for me.
    The Top 8 gathers players with Miracles, Eldrazi x2, DnT, Elves, Slow Depths, Omnitell and Goblins.

Round 6, TOP 8 : Death and Taxes, OTP, 2-0, 5-1

My opponent is very sad to be paired with me. I'm not :)
    Not much to say about the game except that G2 is quite long after he plays a Containment Priest on my second NO (the first one left him at 2 life). But thanks to Sylvan Library I managed to drawn him under the Card Advantage.

Round 7, TOP 4 : Eldrazi, OTD, 2-0, 6-1

We have decided to split the prize wall with the other Top 4.
    I know Denis, he knows me...
    He keeps a hand with Jitte but no Chalice, I keep a hand with Sage.. No match :)

G2 I open with Decay x2, Sage and Visionary in my hand. I destroy a Ratchet, then his Jitte, I begin to swarm when he plays All is Dust. Luckily I had Symbiote on board + one on top...

Round 8, Final : Goblins, OTD, 1-2, 6-2

I win G1 after a big Glimpse.
    I lose G2 because I had not Progenitus... A Chalice on the battlefield annoys me a lot. So I decide to play a NO to fetch for a Rec Sage... So bad. A Progenitus would have guaranteed me a win.
    G3, I'm quite tired and keep a one land hand (a Bayou). I seize him and see 2 wastelands and a Rishadan... The second land will never show up...

Very happy with this run.
    The deck, despite all of the mulligans, went just fine.
    The very fair metagame was clearly an advantage for Elves.
    The coupons I won allowed me to buy 3 Assassin's Trophy :)
    Last edited by Adibou1er; 10-19-2018 at 04:01 PM.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Re: [DTB] Elves!

nevermind. top of library.
    -rob

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

NOTE: I assume this has been tried and I naturally assume it's bad, but I'm curious why:

Why isn't the midrange card Joraga Warcaller. My thinking is that even if you play him as a 1 drop next to WwS you can just bounce him to hand when you're ready to make him bigger. Being a GSZ for 1 if you have WwS setup I feel like he's telling your Opp "hey, btw I can just make all my guys 4/4 if I want" or similar. The fact that at 3 mana he helps push elves out of common-sweeper range or 5 out of everything-but-deluge-and-terminus range makes him certainly look usable from the Arm-chair perspective.

I also figure that for the regular beatdown plan, dropping him for +2 or +3 (say with Cradle, 3 dudes, 2 lands) and swinging for a bit of damage seems alright. At his worst he's still a grow-able duder in a dead hand. This, in general, seems to support both the combo plan *and* the mid-range plan.

So I'm guessing it's issue is either:
    * No one tries it because it looks janky; even though they run 4-drops that often require additional investment
    * It takes too much board-state to make good; which is believable

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestalim View Post
    Wrong. Gideon Emblem protect you from losing and you can even open your binder and slam some cards on the board, not even the HJ can DQ you now.

Can someone please explain to me the presence of Archon of Valor's Reach in some versions of this deck? What purposes does it usually serve? What card type is usually named?

The crazy nastyass honey badger

Dec 2013
    A desk chair, The Netherlands

It shuts down the enemy when Craterhoof can't steal the game. You typically name instant, although that can differ per MU
    Quote Originally Posted by cavalrywolfpack View Post
    DAMMIT ECHELON

Just because I would like to keep The Source alive, here is my copy and paste from Discord:

So I played in the Legacy Challenge today, with Blood Moon Elves! and ended up 4-3. Though I had a strong chance to go 5-2 or better, all of my loses came down to my opponent either drawing very well or hitting a timely topdeck (so is Magic sometimes).
    While I certainly don't think Elves is dead, it definitely is in a very tough spot in the meta, and has me heavily considering stepping away from Legacy a while because nearly every game has felt like an uphill battle. Going forward though, I think @abombdiggity might be on the right track and GW Elves is possibly better at combating the current MTGO meta than our traditional GB build.

Unfortunately, Legacy has felt more and more like a format of landing haymakers and because of this I think we find ourselves in a position where we forced to tune our deck to match this style of play (definitely not my favorite type of gameplay). Red Stompy's position in the metagame has again become more favorable, as way to combat the W6 blue soup decks that have popped up. We have also begun to see the rise/resurgence of Dark Depths decks after the printing of Elvish Reclaimer, another way to beat these removal heavy decks as they attack on multiple angles. I've attached my GW list below. This is my take on how we can try to find success with the new shifts in the metagame.
    Some thoughts on the list; I am okay playing 3 Leyline of the Void rather than 4. The London Mulligan gives us plenty of more opportunities to see them in our opening hand which means I would prefer to have another sideboard slot available.

Anyways just wanted to post my thoughts, and see how others experiences with the new metagame have been for them, and any other ideas or possible sweet sideboard cards that we could try out in white (I was think [[Shalai, Voice of Plenty]] or [[Hallowed Moonlight]] if we really want to be the SnS matchup).

I also might try to stream sometime this upcoming week/weekend @ https://www.twitch.tv/jjkbb2 dependent if I am able to convince my friend to hook me up with a new mic so stay tuned!

GW List:
    2 Birchlore Rangers
    1 Craterhoof Behemoth
    3 Natural Order
    1 Fyndhorn Elves
    4 Wirewood Symbiote
    2 Misty Rainforest
    4 Gaea's Cradle
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Elvish Visionary
    4 Glimpse of Nature
    4 Heritage Druid
    2 Llanowar Elves
    2 Wooded Foothills
    3 Quirion Ranger
    4 Nettle Sentinel
    2 Verdant Catacombs
    2 Dryad Arbor
    2 Forest
    1 Elvish Mystic
    1 Pendelhaven
    1 Reclamation Sage
    2 Windswept Heath
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    2 Savannah
    1 Crop Rotation
    1 Archon of Valor's Reach

1 Gaddock Teeg
    2 Veil of Summer
    3 Leyline of the Void
    1 Choke
    1 Karakas
    2 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Force of Vigor
    2 Celestial Purge
    1 Pithing Needle

Long Live Maverick
    Dec 2012
    Kennesaw, GA, USA

Sure, I'll bite too at trying to keep the thread alive.
    Celestial Purge is interesting in the board, I might have to keep some in my spares box just in case.

I played this last week at our local and went 3-0-1.

W - 2-1 - Lands
    W - 2-0 - UW Stoneblade
    W - 2-0 - Mono Red Painter
    D - ID - Hogaak Depths, lost in 3 in some friendly games

Elderscale Wurm stole a game against Depths unassisted. They have no outs mainboard for the card and might only have 2 Assassin's Trophy post board.
    I think I want the 3rd Forest or 2nd Dryad Arbor over the 2nd Cavern going forward.
    Tusk up.
    (Not so) Current Decks: GB Elves, GW Maverick, GWb Maverick, LED Dredge, ANT, TES, Jund Storm.

Apr 2014
    Houston, TX

Quote Originally Posted by haganbmj View Post
    Sure, I'll bite too at trying to keep the thread alive.
    Celestial Purge is interesting in the board, I might have to keep some in my spares box just in case.

I played this last week at our local and went 3-0-1.

W - 2-1 - Lands
    W - 2-0 - UW Stoneblade
    W - 2-0 - Mono Red Painter
    D - ID - Hogaak Depths, lost in 3 in some friendly games

Elderscale Wurm stole a game against Depths unassisted. They have no outs mainboard for the card and might only have 2 Assassin's Trophy post board.
    I think I want the 3rd Forest or 2nd Dryad Arbor over the 2nd Cavern going forward.
    Do you miss the Archon of Valor's Reach? That card seems like a house against a lot of the fair blue decks running around atm.

Long Live Maverick
    Dec 2012
    Kennesaw, GA, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Jesture View Post
    Do you miss the Archon of Valor's Reach? That card seems like a house against a lot of the fair blue decks running around atm.
    I was never all that impressed with Archon, though I had similar experiences with Ruric Thar too. Playing Wren's Run Packmaster again has been a reasonable angle against those blue decks; it's typically pretty good if people are excited to cast a Tarmogoyf.

Elves isn't in a fantastic spot right now while people are running Plague Engineer main, though, so I haven't put a terrible amount of thought into it. Been messing around with other decks more instead.
    Tusk up.

Got a top8 today with a list without archon.
    Did great, got chaliced a lot, but i got a ancient tomb as a reward ;D

I would like to thank Julian23, cause his videos helped me a lot! I even recommend his channel on youtube, search for the last elves series, excluding the unchained legacy series.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAn...aNty0d_vbD5PSQ

Thread Information