Page 101 of 382 FirstFirst ... 5191979899100101102103104105111151201 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,020 of 7635

Thread: [Primer] Elves!

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Re: [DTB] Elves!

Might not be a bad idea to give them their own thread and post a link in the OP. Because they are not going to be much use once we are 5 pages past them.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Zombie Elf Warrior
    Dec 2004
    seattle

Good point. I was thinking along similar lines. But I thought I should post some up for people to see first so I can gauge how difficult or easy people find these. Perhaps I could have each puzzle try to highlight the utility of different cards. I got the idea when Kayradis was asking about good places to send very new players.
    Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    was greg mitchells hair ever on camera?
    Elves Discord Channel: https://discord.gg/2EVsdw2

Mar 2013

Ok, that's not a bad idea. I would suggest putting in a puzzle thread also the Base decklist. So people can see what cards they have to work with. I mean I can just grab my deckbox and lay it out on the table, but others I feel will not have this opportunity. So having a list there that they can cross reference will help when using cards like NO and GSZ.

Also, if these are for new players, I would put up some with interactions that are common tricks for the deck. Then post under the photo "Note card X" and leave them to work out how it works with card Y.
    Another idea would be to also put down what the top card of the deck is. In a situation like you have been hit with Chittering Rats. I know that is unlikely in legacy but it does give another layer of complexity to the puzzles if you are now having to fight over two turns. Throw in wasteland for max fun.
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Zombie Elf Warrior
    Dec 2004
    seattle

You just took my idea and gave it one of these:

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Admit, the second one took me quote a few seconds, but is in impressive example how dirty Quirion Ranger is ^^
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Mind posting the solutions to these?

Feb 2007
    United Kingdom

Quote Originally Posted by PhanTom_lt View Post
    Had an argument about the play with his hand, on the draw versus Death and Taxes: 2 Deathrite, Quirion Ranger, Wirewood Symbiote, Crop Rotation, Bayou, Cradle. What's your play? Does it change if you are on the play?
    Forgot to say that on the draw your opponent has played a plains.
    Quote Originally Posted by Halted Asylum View Post
    Force of Will is terrible with Bob, i rather Mana Leak.

Mar 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Atikin View Post
    One sec, I will PM you.

It is a good hand, but it has no action.

DRS is not great, since they do not run a ton of Fetches and you have none. Crop rotation I feel does take the pain off this though.
    Ranger is good here as it can save you from wastelands.
    Symboite is never a bad card me thinks.

My play would be:
    1) Bayou, DRS
    2) Tap Bayou, Ranger, bounce Bayou, Replay into DRS.
    3) Cradle, Tap Cradle, Symbiote, Rotate Cradle for Cradle, Tap Cradle, Eat the cradle and then do something with the mana and something I have drawn. The chances of getting something with 3/4 NO, and 4 GSZ on 3 draws is good. If I got a Glimpse turn two I would aim to use the mana I can get turn 3 to try a glimpse combo. But I would be happy with a value glimpse as well.

I am not sure I would keep it if it was game 3 though. Going totally on the luck of the draw is not my thing. But if your facing DnT, well I am guessing you have a bit of time.
    On the play:
    Assuming the drawn card on turn 2 is irrelevant, I wouldn't bounce the bayou. Instead, I would play symbiote off the bayou to protect my elves and then quirion ranger off the cradle to protect the bayou. Your opponent can still waste the cradle but this is somewhat irrelevant as you still have crop rotation in your hand for turn 3. I would keep the second DRS in my hand to keep glimpse as a live draw.

On the draw:
    I would consider playing quirion ranger first. If your opponent StPs your DRS and wastes your bayou, you pretty much lost since cradle won't make any mana. With ranger, you can bounce your bayou in response to the StP and then replay it next turn along with DRS.

Zombie Elf Warrior
    Dec 2004
    seattle

Quote Originally Posted by Atikin View Post
    I was typing out a solution but then the thread had some other action going on. I only have access to a phone now so it took me awhile. Lol. I can post them if people want them. Can we do spoiler tags on these forums?

IRT to the post above, I would start like nudon by assuming my first drop will be STP'd. So I would give him the least valuable creature in my hand and then see what happens. You usually have plenty of time to go slow if your opponent starts like that.

Mar 2013

Good points. I agree with you as you point them out.

Edit,
    No we have no tags, but I did PM him my answers. The question is if I typed them in an understandable way.

For the puzzles, I think glimpse chain examples with gsz would be helpful for new elf players as well. This would help highlight when to gsz for a certain creature (heritage, nettle, quirion, visionary, wirewood). The "correct" answer may vary from player to player too in some instances but hopefully it'll provide healthy debate if anything.

Really struggling on the 2nd one... Are you sure you've played your land for turn already?? I tried 1st GSZ for Ranger, Heritage Druid, Dryad Arbor and none of them worked...

Mar 2013

PM sent.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by akatsuki View Post
    Really struggling on the 2nd one... Are you sure you've played your land for turn already?? I tried 1st GSZ for Ranger, Heritage Druid, Dryad Arbor and none of them worked...
    Tap Bayou for G, tap Birchlore + Nettle for G, spend both mana to GSZ for Heritage, untap Nettle, Tap Nettle + Heritage for G, use Symbiote to return Heritage and untap Birchlore, play Heritage, untap Nettle, tap Heritage + Birchlore + Nettle for GGG, GSZ for Quirion Ranger and keep G float, untap Nettle, return Bayou to untap Birchlore, tap Nettle + Quirion + Birchlore for a total of GGGG, cast NO (sacrifice Heritage), untap Nettle, put Craterhoof into play and attack with him, Nettle and Symbiote

5 creatures = +5/+5

Craterhoof 5(+5) + Nettle 2(+5) + Symbiote 1(+5) = 23 Damage
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Cool, yeah I missed that I had one mana floating after the second GSZ.

Sep 2013
    Under hill.

Those were great. I loved them. What a great Thanksgiving gift. Best one I had all day, and I had several other good ones. Daniel, you are the man (i.e., the ELF) in so many ways. Many, many thanks.

It would be great to get a thread/archive of these kinds of puzzles to do exactly as people have suggested.

What I love about this deck is the mental energy it requires. It is a deck that provides versatility because it is hard to play, yet a very flexible tool, with several different approaches to victory. For me, no other deck has provided this much fun. This deck is not fun because you win, it is fun because you never know quite how you will win or what you will have to do to win.

It's not easy being green

Jul 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_of_Rivendell View Post
    Those were great. I loved them. What a great Thanksgiving gift. Best one I had all day, and I had several other good ones. Daniel, you are the man (i.e., the ELF) in so many ways. Many, many thanks.

It would be great to get a thread/archive of these kinds of puzzles to do exactly as people have suggested.

What I love about this deck is the mental energy it requires. It is a deck that provides versatility because it is hard to play, yet a very flexible tool, with several different approaches to victory. For me, no other deck has provided this much fun. This deck is not fun because you win, it is fun because you never know quite how you will win or what you will have to do to win.
    Yeah. It can do just about any positive (=build-your-own-resources) thing in Magic, and with overwhelming force. Big dudes, hordes, comboing out, grinding slow games, board control, prison, raw draw power, this deck has it all. Plus there's something special about doing all that broken Storm combo stuff, and casting Tinkers and Ancestrals with mono-green cards. Feels so much more like cheating than playing Infernal, LED even if it's the same stuff in function.

I had a ton of trouble with the second puzzle because I didn't think of grabbing Heritage first. Like, I had three dudes up in some failed attempts, but my sleep-deprived brain didn't make the association that maybe Heritage first is correct. After Lemnear said that it was easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear
    (On Innistrad)
    Yeah, an insanely powerful block which put the "derp!" factor in Legacy completely over the top.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
    Yeah. It can do just about any positive (=build-your-own-resources) thing in Magic, and with overwhelming force. Big dudes, hordes, comboing out, grinding slow games, board control, prison, raw draw power, this deck has it all. Plus there's something special about doing all that broken Storm combo stuff, and casting Tinkers and Ancestrals with mono-green cards. Feels so much more like cheating than playing Infernal, LED even if it's the same stuff in function.

I had a ton of trouble with the second puzzle because I didn't think of grabbing Heritage first. Like, I had three dudes up in some failed attempts, but my sleep-deprived brain didn't make the association that maybe Heritage first is correct. After Lemnear said that it was easy.
    Before I read that the Land was already dropped, grabbing Quirion first was my idea to make it work too (it does). Seeing a single land is an inpulse to dig for quirion lol

Join us at Facebook!

Mar 2013

My first impulse is almost always to go after everyone's favourite insect.

Thread Information