Thread: MUD decks

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

MUD decks

I am in the process of testing multiple MUD versions.

I would like to ask the community how it sees MUD decks, between the mono-"brown" and Welder versions.
    The Welder builds tends to be more on the combo side while there are builds that eschew that version and are more Stompy/Softlock.

Does both need two seperate threads? Do other decks sideboard the same for both iterations?
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

MTGO Name: Adelorenzi
    Mar 2009

Re: MUD decks

All I know is that I got creamed by the welder version at SCGSD back in january. I was playing zoo though, so that may have been my problem. Welder version seems better against "fair" decks whereas the softlock has more staying power vs the various combo decks out there.

People might board graveyard hate against Welder, but generally you're going to mostly see the same cards. Ancient Grudge, Krosan Grip, Pithing Needle, etc.

Thinking about Magic...
    Jan 2011
    Italy

I agree that the forgemaster version has a better matchup against some fair decks while the stompy version has a better combo matchup.
    It could be useful to have two separate threads because the decks play very differently: I was thinking of writing a primer on MUD stompy myself but didn't have the time, but if you need an hand I'd be happy to help.

Aside pithing needle I think the sideboard plans are quite similar against the two strategies.

Legacy Vagabond
    Dec 2007
    Cheshire, CT

I'm a fan of compartmentalizing distinct variations of a parent archetype in different threads. You should do it. I don't play MUD anymore, but I still like to peruse threads, and choosing between two separate threads makes it easier for me to know what cards or strategies I'm specifically interested in, and not tediously look for a deck that has just Welders in it and no Forgemasters for example.

I currently have an Affinity primer drafted up, but I'm thinking of splitting it in two where one would cover Affinity builds using Stoneforge Mystic, and the other would cover the traditional "all-in" variety.

Thread Information