Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Love Storm, but no money. Is possible still to play?

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Re: Love Storm, but no money. Is possible still to play?

Give us your budget, and it may be more helpful. "No money" and "$200" allow for very different options.

I used to play with 3 tundras the miracle list, but i trade 1 'cause i always fetch to basic unless its extremely necessary fetch for dual, so that trade and some money I've got from some other prices, could be 200-240 €, between 240-314 USD I think...

But I still want to keep Miracles for playing, I simply love that deck *.*, so trading more white duals won't be a good idea IMO.

Apr 2007
    Leicester, UK

The budget storm list you posted is Sac Land Tendrils, which developed out of the Pauper Perfect Storm deck.
    You can read more about it here - http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=330251
    My Legacy Decks of choice: Pox, Miracles, D&T or Lands.
    Online Trading Reference Checker

Wow, thats really sweet thread! I still have to read it but, does it work? :P

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
    In the end -Deck of Choice- doesn't have that many expensive cards in it apart from the mana.
    This is almost always true for any deck in any format.

The argument just hits hilarity if you think about Vintage (Duals, Workshops, Mono Artifacts) or some Legacy decks with 7+ Duals to run on 3 or 4 colors. Even former budget Decks like Elves or Goblins suffer with Cradle and Rishadan Port/Wasteland
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Storm Trooper
    Jun 2012
    Bremen, Germany

If you really want to get BANG for your BUCK in terms of Combo, i can recommend you this Mono G Elves list. The best thing: it doesn't even need any cradles!

Budget Elves!
    Creatures:
    2 Birchlore Rangers
    3 Elvish Archdruid
    4 Elvish Visionary
    3 Fyndhorn Elves
    4 Heritage Druid
    1 Joraga Warcaller
    4 Llanowar Elves
    4 Nettle Sentinel
    4 Quirion Ranger
    1 Regal Force
    4 Wirewood Symbiote

Instant:
    4 Summoner's Pact

Land:
    6 Forest
    7 Green Fetchlands (you can also play without these)

Sorcery:
    4 Glimpse of Nature
    2 Green Sun's Zenith
    3 Living Wish

Sideboard:
    3 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    1 Faerie Macabre
    1 Joraga Warcaller
    1 Regal Force
    1 Vexing Shusher
    2 Viridian Shaman
    2 Krosan Grip
    3 Steely Resolve

Instead of Steely Resolve you can also splash for one Savannah and play 3 Absolute Law.

Apr 2007
    Leicester, UK

Quote Originally Posted by JanoschEausH View Post
    Sideboard:
    3 Steely Resolve

Instead of Steely Resolve you can also splash for one Savannah and play 3 Absolute Law.
    3 /Steely Resolves is about $10, so why would you want to spend nearly $100 on a Savanna to play an Enchantment that does nothing against path/plow or any of black Terror effects?
    My Legacy Decks of choice: Pox, Miracles, D&T or Lands.
    Online Trading Reference Checker

Zombie Elf Warrior
    Dec 2004
    seattle

LOL you guys are so gross with some of these suggestions. Let the kid play storm.

A better suggestion than any of these weird Frankenstein lists or alternate deck is simply this - go make some damn friends. Then borrow all their shit! There is always a guy with a huge collection who will sometimes lend out decks. Be his BFF. Borrow cards. Win stuff.

That is the most cost effective and fastest way to get into Legacy. And probably Golf too.

Hahaha, ja, actually i will make proxies of Pauper Storm deck above suggested and will try to make it. Also, maybe with those USD i but the LEDs and with a couple of watery graves... well, i guess i have to be careful with AN... :)
    But the idea of Elves with Tendrils is really cool! haha
    Jokes apart, all of them have been awesome suggestions.
    I read Elves and High Tide previews... and are awesome. Both of them. But I find quite vulnerable Elves without Cradle and High Tide without Candelabras. I guess I'm wrong, but anyway... Will make proxies of them and test them.

Ha, wanted to ask you fellows, with that cash what would you make?

It's not easy being green

Jul 2010

Budget Elves are more vulnerable than non-budget ones in many ways, and in some ways a completely different deck (Multiple Priests/Archdruids). They do have access to some tricks full price Elves have difficulty including, like Pendelhaven. But that's why you don't run them for the rest of your life - it's an intermediary step, nothing more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear
    (On Innistrad)
    Yeah, an insanely powerful block which put the "derp!" factor in Legacy completely over the top.

You could play TES with a crappy manabase and a split 2x Brainstorms/2x Preeordain intead of the full set of BSs.

But you can't do it without LED.

Save up some money lunch to get them, your deck is going to suck without them.

Here's a rough list:

Artifact
    4x Lion's Eye Diamond
    4x Lotus Petal
    2x Chrome Mox
    Instant
    1x Ad Nauseam
    2x Brainstorm
    4x Rite of Flame
    4x Dark Ritual
    Land
    4x Gemstone Mine
    4x City of Brass
    4x Darkslick Shores
    3x ???????
    Sorcery
    2x Cabal Therapy
    4x Duress
    4x Gitaxian Probe
    4x Infernal Tutor
    1x Empty the Warrens
    4x Ponder
    2x Preordain
    4x Burning Wish
    1x Tendrils Of Agony

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Tanith View Post
    I guess I will keep playing Miracles and try to win tournaments to put my hands on those sweet LEDS :)
    Ironic?

Edit: Joking aside ... Tanith, if you want to play Storm, ship your Miracles cards and build the deck.

It is possible to play any legal Legacy deck. If you have less money you'll have less options. You can play a non-legal deck but likely won't advance past the first round. /eot

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by alderon666 View Post

Artifact
    4x Lion's Eye Diamond
    4x Lotus Petal
    2x Chrome Mox
    Instant
    1x Ad Nauseam
    2x Brainstorm
    4x Rite of Flame
    4x Dark Ritual
    Land
    4x Gemstone Mine
    4x City of Brass
    4x Darkslick Shores
    3x ???????
    Sorcery
    2x Cabal Therapy
    4x Duress
    4x Gitaxian Probe
    4x Infernal Tutor
    1x Empty the Warrens
    4x Ponder
    2x Preordain
    4x Burning Wish
    1x Tendrils Of Agony
    That's a horrible TES List if you only lack the 3 duals. Brainstorm is so much better than Preordain Even without the 3 fetchlands of the stocklist, Tendrils Mainboard is not needed and passing on the best card in the whole 60 aka Silence is a mistake^2. 15 Lands are too much and will block your infernal at times without LED
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    That's a horrible TES List if you only lack the 3 duals. Brainstorm is so much better than Preordain Even without the 3 fetchlands of the stocklist, Tendrils Mainboard is not needed and passing on the best card in the whole 60 aka Silence is a mistake^2. 15 Lands are too much and will block your infernal at times without LED
    While I agree with your points, the idea that the duals can be proxied with scar's lands in a budget version is reasonable enough yeah?

When you say storm, i assume you mean tendrils combo in particular?
    Matt Bevenour in real life

Yup.
    While the LED's have to be played, and since I haven't enough money, maybe I could play Watery Grave instead of U-Sea until got enough cash to pick them.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Tammit67 View Post
    While I agree with your points, the idea that the duals can be proxied with scar's lands in a budget version is reasonable enough yeah?

When you say storm, i assume you mean tendrils combo in particular?
    I guess with the increased count of rainbow lands, the scars-lands are acceptable even if you have to consider their lack to produce red mana.

Then I talk about "Storm" i normally mean TES, ANT and Mix-forms like TNT. I used the term "storm" in this thread before to hint towards alternative archetypes that focus on EtW like Belcher.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanith View Post
    Yup.
    While the LED's have to be played, and since I haven't enough money, maybe I could play Watery Grave instead of U-Sea until got enough cash to pick them.
    The combination of fetchlands and Shocklands is davastating. Being unable to drop/play lands without 1-3 damage is not acceptable. You won't need many Games of goldfishing against Burn (T1 3 damage, T2 6 damage, etc.) to realize that by using Schocks you'll loose a turn earlier in average against Aggro-archtypes while "drawing" 2-3 cards less off Ad Nauseam per Shockland which IS backbreaking

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    You clearly haven't played with BS without fetches. While BS allows you to do crazy shit like T1 Brainstorm into win, sometimes it just loses you the game. When you need a land, you Brainstorm and hit a bunch of crap, now you have to wait 3 turns to draw into a random card.

Preordain is a much less powerful cantrip, but it always does it job: dig into the cards you want.

I just hate silence! But that's personal taste. With 8 gold lands you could easily play Silences.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by alderon666 View Post
    You clearly haven't played with BS without fetches. While BS allows you to do crazy shit like T1 Brainstorm into win, sometimes it just loses you the game. When you need a land, you Brainstorm and hit a bunch of crap, now you have to wait 3 turns to draw into a random card.

Preordain is a much less powerful cantrip, but it always does it job: dig into the cards you want.

I just hate silence! But that's personal taste. With 8 gold lands you could easily play Silences.
    BS replaces the worst 2 cards in your hand with better ones in the turn it matters. You have 4 Infernals in addition for shuffle effects. Brainstorm into Ponder + x often does the trick too. T1 Brainstorm is wrong in Storm 95% of the time. If you keep a hand which relies completely on finding a Land with the Brainstorm you have to consider punting the game already with the keep.

As mentioned, Silence is the reason for 5c manabases It's a must-counter-or-die also acting as a 1cc timewalk in many situations for making landdrops, command goblins into your Opponents face or prevent perm. hate to enter the battlefield. A personal bias is no reason to give questionable advice.

Join us at Facebook!

Well, this is now decks I have:

-Canadian
    -UW (miracles/ RIP with helm/ and with Stoneforge mystic, as they share lot of cards, its only a tweek between 10 cards or so)

I thought of keeping one of this decks and try to build the ANT properly, since as commented before, I have in MKM like 240 euro more or less (thats at least Lion´s eye diamond playset). So I could sell Miracles/RIP/Blade important stuff (Jace and Tundra) and keep Canadian or I can sell Canadian Lands and buy with those 1 volcanic and 2 tropical (since ANT needs 2 volcanic and 1 tropical) 2 U. Sea and keep Miracles. But what will be the best choice, since I found quite difficult to guess the meta with the future rules-change.
    Any ideas?

Thank you all for the helps and decks suggestion guys :)

Edit: one of the good things of keeping Canadian, I could play ANT, Canadian and UR delver , even RUG Countertop but not playing Jace :(
    And even selling the karakas would be awesome. Ißve seen ANT lists running 1 in the sideboard, but without any ways of searching it doesn´t seem probably playing it against Omni-Show/Reanimator/Show and tell decks.

Thread Information