Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Podcast] Everyday Eternal #3 - Armageddon

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

[Podcast] Everyday Eternal #3 - Armageddon

This week on Everyday Eternal, Matt Pavlic (sdematt), Jacob Kory (koby), Sean O’Brien (nedleeds), and Sam Craven (thecrav) discuss the Legacy format’s reliance, or over-reliance, on non-basic lands and what you can do to punish these greedy manabases.

Link!

This episode is a bit shorter than the previous two. We finished up early to bullshit, which got cut due to, well, honestly, me being really tired while editing. Based on previous feedback though, I'll be making sure to leave the bullshit from now on!

Let us know what you think @EternalMTG or everydayEternalCast@gmail.com

Addendum: We may or may not be recording a cast this week. Everyone's still a little tired from Vegas and some of us are feeling a little off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Re: [Podcast] Everyday Eternal #3 - Armageddon

I have awful allergies in this podcast. Please excuse them.

If we end up recording tonight, I'll also be sick :P

-Matt

Site Contributor
    Aug 2008

Really liked this one. Keep em coming!
    Thanks.
    Super Bizarros Team. Beating everything with small green dudes and big waves.

We stated the obvious a little bit too much in this one and didn't get detailed enough IMHO. Will look to improve in the future. <lashes self>

Edit: HAHAHAAHAHAAH "Despite punting more than Raul Allegre" ... I think he was actually a kicker.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Lol at the comment about my red dark confidant... God Tibalt was terrible. I was punting more than Reggie Roby.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Lol at the comment about my red dark confidant... God Tibalt was terrible. I was punting more than Reggie Roby.
    Hey I didn't mention you by name. But yes .... Sean Landeta or Reggie Roby was what I was looking for.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

as a (depressed) dolphins fan, ill take any comparison to Reggie Roby that I.can get
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

I'm a Jet fan. Unsure what's worse. At least the Dolphins have a storied history, and the greatest passer in history. The Jets have an alcoholic party animal who sacked into a Super Bowl win ... and the butt fumble.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    I'm a Jet fan. Unsure what's worse. At least the Dolphins have a storied history, and the greatest passer in history. The Jets have an alcoholic party animal who sacked into a Super Bowl win ... and the butt fumble.
    There's always Tim Tebow I suppose... I'm glad a jets fan is willing to admit Namath is a tad overrated lol

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

EE 3, also known as "lets metaphorize about punting"
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Jul 2010
    twitch.tv/oarsman79

I am stunned that the entire podcast group decided that killing Sylvan Library was more important than Dark Confidant.

Saw World War Z. It's more action/horror than anything else. B+.

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by oarsman View Post
    I am stunned that the entire podcast group decided that killing Sylvan Library was more important than Dark Confidant.
    I mean, I'm sure there are situations where one is better than the other, and it depends on the deck you're playing. Where I'm coming from in my answers is my deck has Decays and Swords. I can always draw another removal than can kill Confidant (ex. I'd have 6 pieces left that kill confidant, but only 3 that kill Sylvan).

It also depends on your life total, board position, deck you're playing, deck they're playing, etc. Either way, Sylvan is not a good card to see across the table and I would want to kill it immediately, Joe.

-Matt

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Quote Originally Posted by guelahpapyrus View Post
    Saw World War Z. It's more action/horror than anything else. B+.
    I predict there will be more WWZ conversation tonight, whether we do a cast or not!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

There's always Tim Tebow I suppose... I'm glad a jets fan is willing to admit Namath is a tad overrated lol
    Yeah Namath has a big fucking ball sack and a decent arm, but wasn't consistent and would be viewed as Ken O'Brien if he lost that game. The greatest QB ever is John Elway and it's not particularly close. He took DII teams to the Super Bowl 3 times, is still the best all around athlete to play quarterback (strength, speed, arm strength). Maybe Montana is a better leader / winner but he had 5 hall of famers. Ditto Bradshaw. Marino is probably the most accurate and best pure passer ever.

Staying on topic, Island is a good card.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    Yeah Namath has a big fucking ball sack and a decent arm, but wasn't consistent and would be viewed as Ken O'Brien if he lost that game. The greatest QB ever is John Elway and it's not particularly close. He took DII teams to the Super Bowl 3 times, is still the best all around athlete to play quarterback (strength, speed, arm strength). Maybe Montana is a better leader / winner but he had 5 hall of famers. Ditto Bradshaw. Marino is probably the most accurate and best pure passer ever.

Staying on topic, Island is a good card.
    I can get with Elway. Montana is the MJ of football. He was a great athlete but he had the knack to win (and like you said, great players surrounding him), but I can get behind Elway being the best overall body of work in terms of every skill needed to be a QB. Bradshaw is horribly overrated in my book. Him and Namath both have more career INTs than TDs. I know it was a run first league back then but jeez.

Island is indeed a god card. It casts a delver then helps daze stuff. Magic.

As for the Sylvan Library discussion, I can get behind killing that over a Bob. Card selection, and sometimes card advantage. Im also glad that you guys pointed out that was an activated ability that you may decline to activate incase your opponent has a notion thief or something else that is ridiculous.

Rob Rogers
    Dec 2007
    Wareham, MA

Tebow signed up to be Brady's benchwarmer, so basically the Jets are idiots and need new coaching. I never understood why they played Sanchez at all, besides Rex Ryan obviously having a man crush on him.

I am also shocked about the Bob vs. Library discussion. Of course it really comes down to the board state, life totals, and how many answers you have for each and whatnot. But Bob generates CA much better while also being a clock. In a lot of situations Library is basically a bad Sensei's Top(meaning you can't afford to pay 4). I've won many games against active Library, can't say the same of Bob.
    Team Hammafist-We don't take kindly to those who don't take kindly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jander78 View Post
    You still have to appreciate a well timed "fuck yall niggas" though.
    Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    WotC should either stop printing such good blue creatures or start printing more Hammerfist Giants
    "Got any trade boogas?"

A deck might have 8-10 ways to remove bob. but only 3-4 to remove library. bob may incur enough life loss for a deck with a good deal of damage on board to risk having him live. sylvan can provide higher card quality; while bob (barring a top; jace; or sylvan) is still a random card. there is no absolute right or wrong answer and the various heuristics involved in targeting bob or sylvan are pretty vast.

"a computer can never learn to brainstorm" - Alex "2 Explores" Bertocheaty

Rob Rogers
    Dec 2007
    Wareham, MA

Very true sir. However, in the scenario we are describing, I'm assuming you currently have only one answer to either one. If you don't topdeck an answer to Bob in 2-3 turns(even with 8, this is very possible) the game is effectively over ~90% of the time. Against most decks, Library is more of an insane CQ machine, so it's quite hard to really compare the two on a fundamental level.

Obviously if you're playing Miracles Library is far more scary for you. But I thought we were talking about a BGx deck? If I'm piloting a BGx deck sitting across from Bob and Library, it really depends on the gamestate more than anything. Sure Bob is random and all, but my curve keeps that in check. How many times does having Bob around actually kill you? I don't think that's really a feasible part of the comparison since it should pretty much never happen. At his worst in this scenario he will net you 1 card and they will burn their topdecked removal on him, seems pretty good still. At his best, he can hit them for 2 while you keep the board clear. Heck he can even fog a creature, but that is sooo corner-case.

Idk, they are both phenomenal in their own light. You can't really make a call on the right play with no information other than you're both on BG decks.

EDIT- Wow that was a rambling post, sorry I'm slightly inebriated. Also epic quote leeds, had me rollin' (see great quotes thread)

EDIT2- Also, it's debatable if Sylvan creates more CQ. If you have tons of fetches(you should) then it's definitely possible. But without a shuffle effect it only lets you see 1 new card per turn, whereas Bob GIVES you 2 new cards per turn. Basically, w/o a shuffle effect, Sylvan lets you see 4 cards in 2 draw steps. Bob gives you 4 cards in 2 upkeeps at a marginal cost. Granted if you add a fetch to the equation Sylvan lets you see 6 cards in 2 draw steps. Or if you paid 4 it skews these numbers obviously. The point is that Sylvans strength is also random, albeit in a completely different way. Now I'm not saying Bob is a better CQ engine, I actually don't think he is, but there are things that are tough to factor in which make it debatable.
    Last edited by HammafistRoob; 06-27-2013 at 12:25 AM.
    Team Hammafist-We don't take kindly to those who don't take kindly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jander78 View Post
    You still have to appreciate a well timed "fuck yall niggas" though.
    Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    WotC should either stop printing such good blue creatures or start printing more Hammerfist Giants
    "Got any trade boogas?"

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

These podcasts are good. You guys are entertaining and insightful, and you have great chemistry.

Thread Information