Thread: Triggering Chalice of the Void

Site Contributor

Mar 2011
    Minneapols, MN

Triggering Chalice of the Void

How does Chalice of the Void work with the new trigger rules? It doesn't say MAY on the card, but I'm not sure if that even matters anymore with the update trigger policy.
    If I were to cast a spell that should be countered (say a Brainstorm vs. Chalice on 1), does my opponent have the acknowledge the trigger for it to occur? Could they decide to let the spell through if they desired?
    Thanks for any replies.

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Re: Triggering Chalice of the Void

They have to demonstrate awareness of the trigger before it would actually impact the game. We recently had a case with Carsten Kotter playing Ponder into a Chalice@1 and his opponent just sitting there, saying nothing. Only when Carsten tried to resolve the Ponder, his opponent suddenly remembered the interaction and had the Ponder countered.

Your opponent can however not knowingly "forget" a mandatory trigger like Chalice, Dark Confidant etc. Doing so would be Cheating.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    They have to demonstrate awareness of the trigger before it would actually impact the game. We recently had a case with Carsten Kotter playing Ponder into a Chalice@1 and his opponent just sitting there, saying nothing. Only when Carsten tried to resolve the Ponder, his opponent suddenly remembered the interaction and had the Ponder countered.

Your opponent can however not knowingly "forget" a mandatory trigger like Chalice, Dark Confidant etc. Doing so would be Cheating.
    Like constantly using City of Traitors as super Sol Ring? Have fun judging "knowingly" ... seems like if you are a name grinder you can do it constantly.

That's not my play, I'm just choosing to reveal it
    Oct 2011
    Portland, OR.

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    I'm not clear who you're referring to when you say "opponent," (it's not clear who controls the Chalice in the OP either) but you can only get in trouble (read: a warning, escalating from there) if you forget your own trigger and the trigger would be detrimental for you.

From the IPG:
    Quote Originally Posted by IPG
    The controller of a missed triggered ability receives a Warning only if the triggered ability is usually considered detrimental for the controlling player.
    So let's say we have two players, player A and player N, and player A controls Chalice on X=1.

-If player N casts a 1CMC spell and player A doesn't acknowledge Chalice, that's ok.
    -If player A casts a 1CMC spell and doesn't acknowledge their own Chalice trigger, that is probably cheating. (Assuming they're aware of it--which, obviously, they should be.)

Apr 2008
    Czech Republic

Quote Originally Posted by lochlan View Post
    -If player N casts a 1CMC spell and player A doesn't acknowledge Chalice, that's ok.
    -If player A casts a 1CMC spell and doesn't acknowledge their own Chalice trigger, that is probably cheating. (Assuming they're aware of it--which, obviously, they should be.)
    Absolutely. If your opponent has Chalice in the game, you can still try to play a spell. If your opponent does not say: "Hey, I have a trigger here!", you can resolve the spell.

Thread Information