Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: SCD: Young Pyromancer

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Re: SCD: Young Pyromancer

Quote Originally Posted by btm10 View Post
    I think you're spot on here, which makes me wonder if Bob might be better replaced by a cantrip.
    But Bob is a CA machine. And I fail to see how this adresses the "All my threats are X/1 humans to begin with"-problem.

Hell, even a Chandra gave the Grixis player a hard time.

Site Contributor

Jun 2013
    Philadelphia, PA

That's fair. In my testing with UBR, CA hasn't really been a problem without Bob; I think the bigger thing we're shooting for having a steady stream of things to cast rather than pure CA. The similarity between 'mancer decks and old style Gro-A-Tog and Miracle Gro decks is palpable, so I think using those decks as a conceptual jumping off point is a good plan. They didn't care about CA, they cared about being able to feed Dryad and 'Tog, and I think we should try to accomplish the same thing. Bob might be one way of doing that, but I consistently want a single-creature threat more than I want to draw more cards. At the moment, I'm leaning toward testing Tombstalker.

Edit: Clarity
    Last edited by btm10; 09-03-2013 at 11:02 PM.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by ShiftyKapree View Post
    What do you guys believe Young Pyromancer will do to legacy?
    Apparently win an SCG and give a deck with 0 basics a clock through Blood Moon!

Sep 2011

I would like to see Quiet Speculation happen. It's not really dead with no Pyromancer on the table since you can just search up 1 Lingering Souls + 2 Cabal Therapy and still rip 2 cards out. Or Deep Analysis to draw you more cards if you are falling behind. Doesn't seem that bad.

Speculative Pyromancer:

//11 creatures
    4 Delver of Secrets
    4 Young Pyromancer
    3 Tombstalker

//31 spells:
    4 Brainstorm
    3 Ponder
    4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Cabal Therapy
    1 Lingering Souls
    1 Deep Analysis
    2 Quiet Speculation
    4 Force of Will
    4 Daze

//18 lands:
    (same manabase)

Speculation can grab tokens, discard or card draw depending on what you need. Then again, that could just be win-more vs just running Stifles and Dismembers. Tombstalker seems like a solid win condition.

Thread Information