Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why No Love for Death and Taxes?

Emptying the Warrens

Nov 2012

Why No Love for Death and Taxes?

Alright, I 'm sort of fed up. How come Death and Taxes sees no streaming love? It's in the top 8 at SCG St.Louis, and was in contention at last week's SCG (getting knocked out in round 9). I feel like starcity is actively avoiding streaming the deck, and when it does appear the coverage for it is awful.

More importantly, I've been seeing way too many of the following decks on stream:

Sneak Attack
    Rug Delver
    Esper Deathblade
    Shardless Bug

Soooooo many of them. Not to mention they are extremely boring to watch in comparison to the other decks that are/could be in top8 contention/are doing well. The tezzeret deck is interesting, but they showed it twice today.

One more thing:
    Bias in broadcast. "I hope X player can make it..."
    SCG, you're not hired to be biased and root for a team, the commentators of SF Giants baseball, however, are hired to do such. They should be rooting for format diversity, and get people excited about new decks so people buy new cards.

/Rant.

Also, does anyone remember what Grant Wilkonson was playing today? A friend of mine is up against him and top 8, and I just don't want to get my hopes up since it probably won't be streamed.
    Emptying the Warrens: So YOU don't have to!

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

Re: Why No Love for Death and Taxes?

How to get on a stream at SCG! By Matthew Bevenour

• Be X-0
    • Play against someone well known or be well known
    • Have a weird deck choice (something people don't see every day like oops all spells or doomsday or breakfast)

That's like it.
    Matt Bevenour in real life

Emptying the Warrens

Nov 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Tammit67 View Post
    How to get on a stream at SCG! By Matthew Bevenour

• Be X-0
    • Play against someone well known or be well known
    • Have a weird deck choice (something people don't see every day like oops all spells or doomsday or breakfast)

That's like it.
    Because Esper Deathblade is totally a weird deck choice.

Right Hand of Doom
    Sep 2011
    Maine

Quote Originally Posted by monovfox View Post

Because Esper Deathblade is totally a weird deck choice.
    It's a good stuff deck that takes DRS--a typically non-blue, non-control card--and sets it beside force and Stoneforge Mystic. It's not a deck that will make it very far or see much play at local events but at opens it is a strangely popular choice.

Part of it is also the arbitrary nature of live streams. A few rounds at Baltimore I found both my neighbors under the camera.

Also its popularity; D&T is an uncommon deck while the others are not, and the majority of people want to see how others pilot their deck. Thus, SCG is maximizing the usefulness of the stream. That said, I would love to see more D&T!
    "Don't mess with me, lady. I've been drinking with skeletons."

I write articles about Legacy Death and Taxes. Check them out.

Dec 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA

Kind of ironic though that you ended up getting your wish shortly after posting this.

Undefeated hair
    Jan 2012
    Seattle, WA

Alright, I 'm sort of fed up. How come Death and Taxes sees no streaming love? It's in the top 8 at SCG St.Louis, and was in contention at last week's SCG (getting knocked out in round 9). I feel like starcity is actively avoiding streaming the deck, and when it does appear the coverage for it is awful.
    Completely agree. I think Death and Taxes is pretty much the absolute best representative of the diversity of Legacy. It's a freaking mono-W creature control deck.

I think there are 2 reasons they don't feature it more: the commentators have no fucking clue how the deck works, and their best buds never would play that deck.
    To be fair, D&T is super unintuitive and weird if you haven't played with/against it several times. It looks like a pile of garbage because it's so reliant on synergy and I bet there's also not very many experienced D&T players at opens.
    Languages and dates for every set. For all you true pimps.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Quote Originally Posted by phazonmuant View Post
    Completely agree. I think Death and Taxes is pretty much the absolute best representative of the diversity of Legacy. It's a freaking mono-W creature control deck.

I think there are 2 reasons they don't feature it more: the commentators have no fucking clue how the deck works, and their best buds never would play that deck.
    To be fair, D&T is super unintuitive and weird if you haven't played with/against it several times. It looks like a pile of garbage because it's so reliant on synergy and I bet there's also not very many experienced D&T players at opens.
    there may just not be very many people playing it. If not many people are playing it the chance are limited of it being showcased or whatever. The deck unfortunately cannot influence it's draws so it lacks a certain consistency of blue decks and appears to have no card advantage.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Nov 2007
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by apple713 View Post
    .. appears to have no card advantage.
    It sure does, but if you're used to think that card advantage is just drawing more cards then your opponent, it might not be that obvious. Jitte is a good example. Mangara + Karakas is another.
    But as already mentioned, the deck has some tricks going on with it that probably don't open up if you haven't been playing with it or against it enough.
    Some of my friends sell records,
    some of my friends sell drugs.

Jan 2009
    Trier, Germany

Actually, watching the stream I really don't know if there are any experienced players at the opens. Might sound arrogant, but the level played in feature matches is quite horrible.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by mort- View Post
    Actually, watching the stream I really don't know if there are any experienced players at the opens. Might sound arrogant, but the level played in feature matches is quite horrible.
    Youaren'twrong. I mean there are good players, but the level of play seems low alot of the.time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

It looks like a pile of garbage because it's so reliant on synergy and I bet there's also not very many experienced D&T players at opens.
    This

The second game in the finals could have been easily won if the D&T player had flickered the 5/5 CotV and killed Tezzeret instead of blinking back a useless Batterskull.

GP Strasbourg showed how powerful the deck can be in the hands of experienced pilots.

Plus, the power level of the deck might very well increase if Theros is actually a legendary block with playable legends.

As others have mentioned, the level of play in these tournaments is far from optimal. Naturally the best players want to play a deck where you've stacked the majority of your draws, not the deck that will sometimes give you 3 plains in a row and knock you out of the tournament against someone you should beat every time. D&T requires very tight mulligan decisions and maximizing the value of every business card you're gifted, and even then you're going to come up short sometimes. Great deck, but not a great choice for this tournament series IMO.

Undefeated hair
    Jan 2012
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by force_of_phil View Post
    D&T requires very tight mulligan decisions and maximizing the value of every business card you're gifted, and even then you're going to come up short sometimes. Great deck, but not a great choice for this tournament series IMO.
    I find it hard to believe that it top 4'd and won a GP by being inconsistent over long tournaments.

Quote Originally Posted by mort-
    Yeah...I guess Magic is hard and stuff.
    Languages and dates for every set. For all you true pimps.

Emptying the Warrens

Nov 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    This

The second game in the finals could have been easily won if the D&T player had flickered the 5/5 CotV and killed Tezzeret instead of blinking back a useless Batterskull.

GP Strasbourg showed how powerful the deck can be in the hands of experienced pilots.

Plus, the power level of the deck might very well increase if Theros is actually a legendary block with playable legends.
    He'd also been playing for 13 hours straight. Had he been on a decent amount of sleep, I think he would have done a lot better. I know him, and that was honestly just a product him being tired.

I find it hard to believe that it top 4'd and won a GP by being inconsistent over long tournaments.
    I wouldn't call it inconsistent, but it's certainly more vulnerable to variance than a deck packing a bunch of manipulation. That doesn't necessarily mean it will lose more games (it may win more of the games where variance is not a major factor), I just wouldn't personally run it in a SCG event for the reasons I stated.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

He'd also been playing for 13 hours straight. Had he been on a decent amount of sleep, I think he would have done a lot better. I know him, and that was honestly just a product him being tired.
    I didn't blame him, considering how long such a tournament can be.

My point was that D&T is just harder to play.

You'll probably have an easier time to jam down a T1 Emrakul with counter backup after so many rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by force_of_phil View Post
    I wouldn't call it inconsistent, but it's certainly more vulnerable to variance than a deck packing a bunch of manipulation. That doesn't necessarily mean it will lose more games (it may win more of the games where variance is not a major factor), I just wouldn't personally run it in a SCG event for the reasons I stated.
    Disagree. It's a fairly redundant mono color deck; with Vial as a mana crutch as well. I think it mulligans fine. It doesn't have Brainstorm to salvage bad hands but it's a bunch of 4 of's and isn't looking to win on turn one anyway. I think the deck doesn't appeal to a large sub segment of players who'd rather just cast blue spells and never enter a meaningful combat phase. I think being successful with it means being good with combat, understanding the stack with respect to Vial and the various activated abilities and understanding when to deny mana vs. deploying threats (especially sans vial).

Chalice / Trinisphere / Stompy decks are the decks I consider 'vulnerable to variance'; they have huge upside when you are on the play and land your turn 1 chalice into Trinisphere into bomb but over a 9+ round tourney will get enough no lander, one lander into wasteland, triple trinisphere hands it's pretty tough to outright win a large event.

Never tell me the odds.
    Jan 2010
    Michigan

I don't think that it's not that SCG doesn't like featuring DnT, it's that the coverage team only really focuses on household names because that is who their friends are. To get a feature match, you really just have to be in with that crowd. If you ever go to SCG Opens and watch the coverage team, you'll notice it's no coincidence that the guys they are hanging out with during their breaks are the ones getting feature matches.

Alternatively, the only other way you can get a feature match is if you play a really off the wall deck. I've played in quite a few SCG Opens over the years, and been X-0'ing for awhile at a couple different events, and have never gotten a feature match until this weekend where I played Enchantress (then naturally lost that one ).

Aug 2011
    San Antonio, TX

Quote Originally Posted by 1mpulse View Post
    I don't think that it's not that SCG doesn't like featuring DnT, it's that the coverage team only really focuses on household names because that is who their friends are. To get a feature match, you really just have to be in with that crowd. If you ever go to SCG Opens and watch the coverage team, you'll notice it's no coincidence that the guys they are hanging out with during their breaks are the ones getting feature matches.

Alternatively, the only other way you can get a feature match is if you play a really off the wall deck. I've played in quite a few SCG Opens over the years, and been X-0'ing for awhile at a couple different events, and have never gotten a feature match until this weekend where I played Enchantress (then naturally lost that one ).
    That was you? Nice build dude.

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    Disagree. It's a fairly redundant mono color deck; with Vial as a mana crutch as well. I think it mulligans fine. It doesn't have Brainstorm to salvage bad hands but it's a bunch of 4 of's and isn't looking to win on turn one anyway.
    Being a bunch of 4 ofs with no manipulation is a double edged sword. Ripped 2 STPs against ANT, drew my 3rd revoker against RUG, 2 Karakas, 5th turn vial, etc. Stuff like that makes some players feel helpless. I certainly agree with your point about combat, having seen more Maverick wins thrown away in the combat phase than I care to remember. No surprise that deck has gone into hiding on this side of the ocean.

Thread Information