Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I sell?

Jul 2011
    California

Should I sell?

I am aware that no one here has a crystal ball, so it's impossible to expect definitive answers from anyone. That being said, I respect your opinions and feel that you guys in general have a better feel for Legacy and where it's headed than I do.

I'm going to be starting a rigorous doctoral program (DDS) in the fall, and likely won't have time to play much Legacy (or MtG in general). I'm moving to San Francisco which seems to have a pretty good scene, but I'm afraid I just won't have time to play. I do plan on getting back into the game when I'm done with school (in ~4 years), but I'm afraid that the value of my collection could deteriorate significantly in the mean time. On the other hand, if MtG continues to grow it may cost more to replace the cards down the road (plus add a lot of hassle). What would you guys do in my shoes? I don't need the money at the moment, but I have a large amount tied up in Legacy staples (playsets of nearly every dual including some fbb, moat, playsets of pretty much every blue staple + cards to make Deathblade/Miracles/Maverick, playsets of most fetches, etc) that I would be sad to watch disappear.

I appologize if this thread feels like a rehash of the "Legacy is dying/No it's not" theme, but I really don't know what to do and would appreciate your input. Thanks in advance!
    Legacy: Miracles

Site Contributor

Jun 2010

Re: Should I sell?

If you ever intend to play real Eternal Formats at any point in the future, you should keep your cards. Everyone I know who has sold their cards has either wished they hadn't or left the game never to return (sometimes due to the cost of buying back in, sometimes for other reasons). The way you posed your "dilemma" makes it pretty clear that you should avoid selling unless you must (e.g. need the money). I've shelved my collection on several occasions (sometimes for years!) and was always glad to still have it when my interest in the game returned. Who knows, maybe you'll manage to find a bit of time to continue playing in your new situation. That said, strategically selling extras and reducing the size of your collection might be reasonable, but at a minimum keep all your reserve list cards and at least 2-3 complete decks (so you can play with what you've got, even if there is no local scene and you have to give your opponent a deck). But really, I'd just keep them all for now.

Don't buy/sell in an attempt to beat the market, especially long-term. No one has any idea what the market will look like in four years, no one. Buying/selling for "investment" reasons is really miserable in general.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

I had to sell a few years ago because I needed the money, now trying to buy back in is really daunting especially after getting a collection of almost everything I'd ever need to play. I would say do it if you need to pay your way through school, but don't if you don't need the money.

I would hang on to a deck or two at least. Any friends I have in PhD/MD PhD programs all still have some time for life now and again. It is not as much as when they were in college or in some jobs but it is hard to know yet I would think. I should be starting the beginning of my grad work soon while working and magic will take a back seat again for a while but I will come back to it again down the road.

Jun 2009
    Minnesota

My personal experience with this sort of thing was I sold out all my expensive cards (power/duals/etc) only to come back 3 years later wanting to play and can't justify rebuying those cards with the crazy increase in value.

If you have a safe place to store the cards then do that. Make sure they are in an environment controlled area and (hopefully) won't get stolen.

Playing solidarity on MWS because I love to masturbate.
    Aug 2008
    Arkansas

Quote Originally Posted by [SLAYER]chaos View Post
    I had to sell a few years ago because I needed the money, now trying to buy back in is really daunting especially after getting a collection of almost everything I'd ever need to play. I would say do it if you need to pay your way through school, but don't if you don't need the money.
    Don't sell unless you NEED the money and by need I mean in danger of starving to death. I look back at stuff that was bulk price a couple years back that I sold and some of it has jumped in value significantly and would be hard to replace now. Put it in the back of a closet and forget about it, come back in 4 years and enjoy being able to play without forking out a couple grand.
    Join Team Short bus We have all the special People, We allow helmets at our tables.

Quote Originally Posted by Ertai's Familiar View Post
    Personally I ... find MWS to be as fun as running a cheese grater down my ballsack.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

dont sell out just cause you dont have time for it. Time will open up later on. But i guess once your a dr you should have money to buy back in so it may not be an issue. I'd still keep a couple decks to mess around with during school. Magic is a very good hobby to have if you are trying to avoid the going out and drinking on the weekends like most college student.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Rob Rogers
    Dec 2007
    Wareham, MA

Quote Originally Posted by apple713 View Post
    Magic is a very good hobby to have if you are trying to avoid the going out and drinking on the weekends like most college student.
    What? Vagina > MtG
    Team Hammafist-We don't take kindly to those who don't take kindly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jander78 View Post
    You still have to appreciate a well timed "fuck yall niggas" though.
    Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    WotC should either stop printing such good blue creatures or start printing more Hammerfist Giants
    "Got any trade boogas?"

Oct 2011
    Denmark

I believe tha vagina analogy is no Work. its clearly a tie.

in other news:

Id keep all your duals, force of wills and every Card you own thats on the reserved list, like your moat. -of these Cards total a deck, keep that - you can go play when and if you have the time.

the rest id sell ONLY if you need the Cash.

Nov 2011
    Denver, CO

I am in a somewhat similar position, I went from playing tons of Legacy to not really playing at all. Sometimes I look in my closet and see that I have $6k worth of cardboard and I feel profoundly foolish. That cardboard can't easily be turned into food, or a down payment on a house, or a new mountain bike. If I try to sell it I will at best get 60% of the value of my cards. Even though that cardboard is covered by insurance, it is still vulnerable to theft or damage. The non-reserve list staples I own are always in danger of seeing a reprint and losing a good portion of their value. Even given all of that, I don't need the cash right now so I am not selling my collection. All of the reserve list staples will only go up.

Once you back away from the game though, it is really easy to become jaded about the whole thing. Magic requires a substantial investment of time and/or money if you want to win. The game is fun and I still like following Legacy, but it is harder to justify that investment. I am at a point where my time is better spent working out, reading, or being social (in groups that actually have members of the opposite sex). I imagine I will come back to the game at some point in the future and I will be glad that I have a full set of blue duals and fetches.

You should probably hold onto any cards you have that are on the Reserved List, because until Wizards of the Coast decides to abolish that mistake (which doesn't look like it'll happen anytime soon), their prices are only going to go up.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    You should probably hold onto any cards you have that are on the Reserved List, because until Wizards of the Coast decides to abolish that mistake (which doesn't look like it'll happen anytime soon), their prices are only going to go up.
    if they ever do abolish the reserve list i hope they dont print the cards in Foil versions cause i feel like that would be a main contributor to the older cards loosing their demand.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Jul 2011
    California

Thanks for the input guys! So the consensus seems to be strongly in favor of hanging on to the cards unless I need the money. Now for a safe place to store them in the interim... Any tips on buying a good fire-proof safe?
    Legacy: Miracles

Oct 2011
    Denmark

bank deposit boxes are probably cheaper.

Drinks to much coke
    Aug 2010
    London Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by Phelix View Post
    bank deposit boxes are probably cheaper.
    Just make sure you keep up the payments or you could find it emptied out (check the particulars in your specific service agreement)

Ooh... Shiny!

Aug 2005
    Raincouver

I'd probably sell. I sold some of my stuff in 2011, and another bit of it a few months ago, and don't really regret it.

I figure that if Underground Seas are $300 in a few years, and decks cost $5000, I won't find anyone to play with, so who cares?

Rob Rogers
    Dec 2007
    Wareham, MA

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.C View Post
    I figure that if Underground Seas are $300 in a few years, and decks cost $5000, I won't find anyone to play with, so who cares?
    People thinking like this about Vintage staples is what killed that format. Please keep your OMFG LEGACY IS DYING thoughts outta here.
    Team Hammafist-We don't take kindly to those who don't take kindly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jander78 View Post
    You still have to appreciate a well timed "fuck yall niggas" though.
    Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    WotC should either stop printing such good blue creatures or start printing more Hammerfist Giants
    "Got any trade boogas?"

Ooh... Shiny!

Aug 2005
    Raincouver

Quote Originally Posted by HammafistRoob View Post
    People thinking like this about Vintage staples is what killed that format. Please keep your OMFG LEGACY IS DYING thoughts outta here.
    I didn't say Legacy is dying, are you stupid or something? I said that if prices continue to rise, those `$300` Seas would be worthless to me, because I'd have nobody to play with. Hence, I sold my stuff. I decided that for what my collection was worth, I'd rather have a car than cardboard. Still happy with my decision.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by apistat_commander View Post
    being social (in groups that actually have members of the opposite sex).
    Why does everyone make it sound like playing MTG means you can't do social things and hang out with girls? I feel like you guys are over exaggerating the stereotype that already exists about this game...
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Thread Information