Thread: [Article]Eternal Europe: Legacy Openings

[Article]Eternal Europe: Legacy Openings

Taking a look at Legacy's very first turn this time:

http://www.starcitygames.com/article...-Openings.html

Enjoy & LMKWYT (is it weird to initial "let me know what you think?" ;) )!
    I don't have low self-esteem, I have low esteem for everyone else. -Daria

Proud member of Team CAB
    High Priest of the Church of BLA

CAB JaceTM

My articles

Stop looking at my shiny purple helmet...
    Apr 2008
    London UK

Re: [Article]Eternal Europe: Legacy Openings

Quote Originally Posted by Mon,Goblin Chief View Post

Enjoy & LMKWYS (is it weird to initial "let me know what you think?" ;) )!
    It is when you initial it wrong :)

I enjoyed it and it was interesting to read your example, make my decisions and then compare notes to what you had thought of. It was funny how many times, I would come to a choice and instinctively make the decision, rather than reason it out. An example of this would be the Polluted Delta, where you wouln't expect a Taiga. I immediately discounted 4 colour, but I couldn't have told you that was the reason. Good article and it helped me see further into my lines of play.
    "Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted." - John Lennon

It's not easy being green

Jul 2010

An excellent piece as always.

Make a foray into the land of the elves sometime, I'd be interested in what you think of the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear
    (On Innistrad)
    Yeah, an insanely powerful block which put the "derp!" factor in Legacy completely over the top.

Apr 2007
    Leicester, UK

Brilliant.

I recall other people discussing about using different fetchlands in there deck to confuse opponents; for example RUG only has blue lands so why play Tarn when you can play Delta. I can see how with reasoning like this it can make a difference.
    My Legacy Decks of choice: Pox, Miracles, D&T or Lands.
    Online Trading Reference Checker

Quote Originally Posted by lyracian View Post
    Brilliant.

I recall other people discussing about using different fetchlands in there deck to confuse opponents; for example RUG only has blue lands so why play Tarn when you can play Delta. I can see how with reasoning like this it can make a difference.
    Or just play Wooded foothills, leave it uncracked, then go stifle their fetchland, cause they usually don't see it coming, BAM

Quote Originally Posted by yankeedave View Post
    It is when you initial it wrong :)

I enjoyed it and it was interesting to read your example, make my decisions and then compare notes to what you had thought of. It was funny how many times, I would come to a choice and instinctively make the decision, rather than reason it out. An example of this would be the Polluted Delta, where you wouln't expect a Taiga. I immediately discounted 4 colour, but I couldn't have told you that was the reason. Good article and it helped me see further into my lines of play.
    Lol, d'oh! fixed :p

Happy you learned something even though straight experience makes the full reasoning unnecessary for you :)

@lyracian: Thanks :) and yup, almost any choice as minor as it might seem can count at some point. I've been playing a little bit of High Tide again lately and used Flooded Strand as one of my main Fetches - with the result that my opponent put me on UW Miracles after I went Fetch go, Island, go during the first two turns of the game.

@Zombie: Played Elves at our weekly mini-Legacy to get a better feel for the deck. After that, I sooo want to test Brainstorm in there - most games I lost were to getting "creature-screwed" (as in drawing two or three guys and seeing none the rest of the game).

@Mr Magi: That's probably the best fetch to run in standard RUG Delver for exactly that play.
    I don't have low self-esteem, I have low esteem for everyone else. -Daria

Proud member of Team CAB
    High Priest of the Church of BLA

CAB JaceTM

My articles

Site Contributor
    Aug 2008

Quote Originally Posted by lyracian View Post
    Brilliant.

I usually only play Goblins or High Tide (my only 2 decks). In goblins, whenever I splash, Tarn is my go-to fetchland because of this. At least T1 I can trick someone sometimes.

Very nice article, as usual.
    Super Bizarros Team. Beating everything with small green dudes and big waves.

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

Good article. I think the U Sea -> Brainstorm opening has to be TES or TinFins. No reason to BS yet with ANT if you can't win that turn, better to be able to hide from discard, and you're not very likely to actually win T2.

Great article. Hopefully it will help me be more critical of my opponents' openers.

Zombie Elf Warrior
    Dec 2004
    seattle

Good article. Good analysis. I want to see more in-depth stuff like this!

This also reminds me that I like to use the first turn to confuse people. Local folks know I play Jund, BUG Control, Elves, and now Deathblade. So when I open, Verdant Catacomb, Bayou, Deathrite, nobody ever knows what the hell will happen! Muwauahahahahfahahahahsfhdfasdf.

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Terrific article.

One thing, however, is that it assumes all your opponents are playing optimally. I know a lot of inexperienced players who will borrow a BUG or Esper deck and fetch and Underground Sea and Brainstorm on turn 1 by default just to optimize their mana, since they aren't used to playing Legacy. I think at a lot of events, I won't assume that means they're on TES.

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthepit View Post
    Terrific article.

One thing, however, is that it assumes all your opponents are playing optimally. I know a lot of inexperienced players who will borrow a BUG or Esper deck and fetch and Underground Sea and Brainstorm on turn 1 by default just to optimize their mana, since they aren't used to playing Legacy. I think at a lot of events, I won't assume that means they're on TES.
    That's a pretty specific line of play for you to know so many people who attempt it. Sounds like an exaggeration or at the very least a generalization.

Zombie Elf Warrior
    Dec 2004
    seattle

I've seen similar things happen, but it's usually because they are new and just wanna touch duals so they never think to get a basic to dodge Wasteland. But you can usually tell they are new by their nervous mumbling and constant apologizing for this and that.

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

From what I read....

Scalding tarn, underground sea, brainstorm. I didn't try to predict which deck they were on, all i assumed was that guy was a bad player.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by KobeBryan View Post
    From what I read....

Scalding tarn, underground sea, brainstorm. I didn't try to predict which deck they were on, all i assumed was that guy was a bad player.
    many times you do that in TES. if you dothat though thatmeans you are just about ready to go off
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Thread Information